Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbJIazUR3sw

Everyone has some kind of activity or hobby they turn to when reality proves to be unappealing, some kind of miniature world within a world that is specifically for its creator, wherein they can rest, gather their thoughts, and steel themselves for a return to the outside world. This could take the form of books, woodcarving, and, as is becoming increasingly more common, video games. However, just how private are these worlds, and just how literal is the turn of phrase "your own little world?" What if one of these mediums was as real, if not moreso, than what you call the real world?

Such is the case when out of the blue, perhaps after a particularly emotional day after school at the oh so wonderful Torabisu High School, you opened your phone to find a new game was installed on it. Despite your best attempts to get rid of it, it simply would reappear the next time you checked your phone. Whenever it did, it would also give you the same notification.

code:
Your Ascension is at hand. Please agree to the Terms of Service contract and create a profile.
As annoying as it is, the only way to get some peace and quiet is to actually open the app and do as it states. The Terms of Service contract is remarkably short, merely stating that you will take all responsibility for your actions, and that the characters, situations, and locations featured in the game are non-fiction. It doesn't elaborate much further than the fact that any danger caused by the program is a result of the choices the user of this program makes. After that, it moves you to a character creation screen, wherein...There's you! Or at least, a digital representation of yourself, along with your name, in what looks to be your current location, albeit heavily fogged over. The customization mostly extends to fancy costume pieces, such as masks, capes and actual armor, as well as a choice of "Arcana", chosen by clicking a card icon and then choosing from the 22 images that pop up. As there's no real end to this but to finish it, you find the courage, in some fashion, to create your character and hit "Finish."

Soon after, your virtual avatar is dumped into a world that is not unlike most walk-and-play phone games: you can see the streets you travel and markers for certain notable buildings, albeit each location seems to have a varying degree of these ominous pulses of purple or red energy, and should you approach them, you hear whispers of conversations, too quick and too faint to perfectly make out, but enough to get the gist that something is very wrong at these locations. Unfortunately, exploring these locations will have to wait until after school tomorrow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So! Following the turnout of a certain other Persona thread and a resurgence of inspiration for an idea I once had, here is my proposal for a FATE Accelerated game using Persona as a backdrop, played via PbP alongside a Discord channel for the sake of being able to better ping and alert those to their turns as well as for OOC chatter. I am looking for 4 to 5 players to explore the mysteries of the world, wherein people seem to become completely different people than one would remember them as, and using this simple Pokemon Go-ish app to, potentially, right wrongs and avert disasters.

With that out of the way, I would like the following out of all of you:

• Your High Concept, in this case, will be your Arcana, as it is something that can apply to both you and your Persona, which you will awaken to shortly.
• Your total number of Aspects will be four: Your Arcana, your Trouble, and two additional Aspects. In general, Aspects will primarily apply to you, rather than your Persona, though you are welcome to try making them capable of applying to either.
•Your total number of Stunts, for now, will be three, two of which can and should be specifically applied to your Persona.
•Your Refresh will be 3, as it is in the base rules.
•Scouting/Intel Personas are absolutely possible, although ideally they will still be capable of fighting back in some capacity ala Himiko or Artemisia.

In addition, I would like to get together with the interested parties here via the Discord server to better flesh out the world and your characters, as well as get a feel for the kind of game everyone is hoping for and the expectations to be had both of the players and of me. If at all possible, do hop on and give me a prod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
100% absolutely down for this!!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
The Sun did not go here it went down there instead.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 2, 2017

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

E: I'm gonna try out a Magician.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 2, 2017

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
This sounds awesome. I think I'll go with The Hanged Man as my character's Arcana. And if it's not too early to be deciding on our Personas, his will be Mordred.

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 2, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Eh, not feeling inspired after all. Good luck!

Tricky fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 2, 2017

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Interested. Working on some ideas.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
High Concept: X. The Wheel of Fortune

ignore everything else here

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 4, 2017

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Ichiro Sakaguchi

You've heard of it? It's super obscure. I thought I was the only player! I've seen quality apps, but not from somewhere this obscure.

I mainly design simple apps, but you know what all that involves? Coding, art, distribution? It's all me. And I bet you didn't know that I'm a tech critic for the school newspaper, mainly reviewing apps from Base1. I also take commissions to design people's websites, though business is slow on that end... Look, if it has a keyboard, then I'm somewhere on there, even if it's just a tiny bit of real estate. I'll show you sometime!

Yeah, you probably put the pieces together, right? I'm Base1. I critique my own apps for the school. It's not the most... ethical thing, but it's not like there's another booming start-up around here. Besides, it got me a lot of hype for my first big app, BuzzLess. It's a modification to their OS that collects all the notifications and only shows the third party apps when and if the user schedules it. Y'know, something people didn't know they wanted. And I gave it to them!

But this game... It's better than anything I've ever seen. I'm wondering if I should review it. But then it would get all over-rated and put pressure on the devs... whoever they are, they really captured the town.

Anyway, uh, if you're not busy, I can give you a rundown of some basic programming and stuff. It's really easy of you're good at math and grammar.
Yeah, I know that's a lot to ask in this day and age, but stick with it and you'll be awesome.

Just not as awesome as me. Heh-heh.

Approaches
Clever +3
Quick +2
Flashy +2
Forceful +1
Careful +1
Sneaky 0

Arcana: I: The Magician
Why the Magician? Well, because I'm number one, and the stuff I can do with phones... What else but magic?
Invoke: Realize one's potential, spark creativity, bring people together
Compel: Be full of oneself, lack direction, trick and scheme

Aspect: Loyal Consumer
This has gotta be this year's killer app, and what innovative use of AR tech. It could even beat out the new Jack Bros infi-runner!
No, the infi-runner. Nobody plays the gatchapon anymore; its mechanics are sorely outdated. But AR is the new frontier, so forget all that... Maybe I can get some diehard to buy my Macca. I won't be using it anymore.
Invoke: Learn what's trending, fit in with the in-crowd
Compel: Discard anything old, act defensive about trends

Aspect: Someone Special
But y'know, I don't do it for myself. No, there's someone special in my life that appreciates all my hard work...
I just haven't met them yet. And not for lack of trying.
Invoke: Be uniquely charming, put someone first
Compel: Be infamously desperate, be easily impressed

Trouble: Energy Without Focus
I know, all that and I'm still able to play this game? I mean, I've had to let a couple things slack... Like school. My parents hate that, in spite of my obvious brilliance, I'm only barely passing my classes. It's because I have my apps, and my sites, and my reviews, and my game. I have to go all-in on whatever I do, until it gets done. Otherwise... It won't get done.
But I'm successful overall, so what's the harm in letting just one ball drop. It's still a killer juggling act!
Compel: Let someone down, remember an urgent deadline, burn out

Stunt: There's An App For That
I'm always on the cutting edge of software advancements. I can have +2 to Cleverly overcome challenges if I can feasibly solve it with my phone.

Persona: Mozi
A Chinese philosopher active during the Hundred Schools of Thought. He was a renowned craftsman and innovator, going against the Confucian belief of following ancient principles. He discussed his belief of universal love with many rulers, believing that fortification of a city comes not only from walls and weapons, but from trusting talented citizens. His philosophy, Mohism, taught self-reflection and authenticity, but fell out of favor in the legalist Qin Dynasty.

Stunt: Strength of Character
Mozi walked all across the Warring States to prevent conquests. I get +2 to Flashily Defend myself when I make an empassioned speech.

Stunt: Ingenuity
Mozi was a reknowned inventor of siege contraptions, fortifications, and novelty mechanisms. In that sense, he's kinda like me. Once per session, his power allows me to drop one of my pre-built assets into the game world. It becomes an Aspect that I can invoke once for free.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 10, 2017

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Fujimura Koan (With sister Rina on left)

High Concept: The Hanged Man
“The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed…
In the face of disaster lies the opportunity for renewal.”
Invoke: Survive harsh conditions, offer a fresh perspective on a problem, gain understanding or resolve a paradox.
Compel: Require a sacrifice to succeed, be caught between extremes, put off an unpleasant decision

Aspect: Protective Older Brother
Invoke: Gain support from his little sister, apply physical violence, make an appeal based on maturity
Compel: Attend Rina’s needs, get in an argument with his little sister, hear troubling rumors about her second-hand

Aspect: Would-Be Comic Artist
Invoke: Recognize pop culture items, use art to impress someone, keep abreast of otaku social events, tap internet nerds as contacts
Compel: Waste money on collector’s items, take ridicule from others, lose track of time drawing something

Weakness: Has To Keep His Dreams On Hold
Compel: When his part time job keeps him away, when opportunities to pursue his interests crop up, when his resentment boils over.

Stunt: Three Hearts Beating As One +2 to Flashily Create an Advantage to be used by an ally in combat.

Approaches:
Forceful +3
Flashy +2
Clever +2
Quick +1
Careful +1
Sneaky +0

Refresh: 2

Persona: Talos
Stunt: Lumbering Fortress +2 to Forcefully Defend against enemies who lack Giant Size or Overwhelming Power type Aspects.
Stunt: Colossal Might +2 to Forcefully Overcome an obstacle by lifting or pushing it.
Stunt: The Power of a God or Devil +2 to Forcefully Attack after successfully Defending against an Attack.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 2, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Seka Kuroda, Gold-Hearted Delinquent

You see her? The girl with the bleached hair. She walks like she’s a samurai from one of those animes. She’s no good, a real delinquent. She makes the school look real bad. Her dad owns that local fast food joint around here, you know? Makes a lot of money. I can't believe she'd act so unladylike whilst her dad is supporting her!
Forum post by ToraBoy1993

fuk u bitch u don't know me
Reply by ~!LadyRonin!~

Arcana: The Tower
Yeah, I'm full of it. I'm arrogant, cocky, gonna get myself in real trouble. I got the friends I got despite myself, not because I'm nice. What're you gonna do about it? Besides, I'm gonna make a big splash with this game, you watch.
Invoke: Bring or prevent dramatic change, seek higher knowledge, have a revelation
Compel: Avoid change, cause destruction, discover horrors

Trouble: Missing Mom, Disinterested Dad
Mom's gone. Dad won't talk about it, 'cause he's too busy running the lovely fast food joint all the high school kids eat at. He only turns up if I get into trouble. I get home to an empty house, microwave my dinner, do my homework, watch some Ho-oh Sentai Featherman then go to bed. It sucks.
Compel: Lack support, be punished or ignored, refuse help

Aspect: Eager to Fight for Others
You picking on that first year, rear end in a top hat? I'll shove that bento up your -
Invoke: Act quickly in conflict, defend the meek
Compel: Be goaded into a fight, scare others

Aspect: Won’t Be Nailed Down
What's this “nail that sticks up” bullshit, anyway? I'm gonna be the stickiest uppiest nail there ever was, and so should you if you got any balls. Stickiest and uppiest are words now. Follow me, I know where they serve some rad spicy curries.
Invoke: Defy authority, inspire others
Compel: Attract trouble, upset those in power

Approaches
Forceful: +3
Flashy: +2
Clever: +2
Quick: +1
Sneaky: +1
Careful: 0

Stunts:
Hot-Blooded Talker: +2 to Flashily Overcome when inspiring others to do things that they're otherwise reluctant to do.

Persona: Icarus

The Flight: May spend a fate point to fly to wherever you need to be.
Confound the Tyrants: +2 to Flashily Create Advantages whilst fighting much stronger opponents.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 5, 2017

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
EDIT: Too many gamers and I didn't feel the theme I had was strong enough, time to adapt.

Yo Kobayashi And his kitten Tomo.
"The Truth is out there, I can feel it!"

You wanna hear about Ghosts? I gotcha ghosts right here!

You might have subscribed to my Blog, "Kobayashi, Ghost Hunter!" or read any of my pamphlets? I'm going to take the blank, baffled look on your face as a negative on that front BUT! The Headless Sawmill ghost who fell into the bandsaw when pushed by his co-worker and now haunts the mill, that's real, I got it on camera and everything. And the house where that man went nuts listening to radio static and walked out in front of the 3:00 morning subway? I found out the secrets about that too!

And that one where the family wondered why the dad who worked as a power-line technician didn't come home one night and found him the next day hung up in the power-lines with no explanation on how he got there? And everyone said it was an accident but it wasn't because he was the most careful man I know and the whole thing looked really suspicious? Still looking into that one, I'm making slow progress but I will PROVE what happened wasn't just an accident I WILL-

*Cough*

Urgh, sorry got caught up in the moment there. And this one right now? With the mysterious app appearing on people's phones with no explanation on how it got there that leads you strange areas that seem to be saturated in weird energies through the eyes of the camera. That's a real humdinger that one, worthy of a true, Kobayashi branded THOROUGH INVESTIGATION. There's some crazy mystery behind this and THIS time it'll actually be something worthwhile!

Be sure to follow my progress on my blog.

---

High Concept: IX: The Hermit - The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed...
It requires great courage to look at oneself honestly, and forge one's own path...

Aspect: Inexorable Truth Seeker - Some people say coincidences, I say GHOSTS. Or Yokai! Or Demons or sometimes Demon Yokai Ghosts (No shut up those are REAL THINGS that I have seen before), I have the evidence and everything man! No one digs up old Lore and hidden Secrets like Yo Kobayashi!

Aspect: Certified Legit Spirit Photographer (Honest!) - "You wanna see ghosts! I gotcha ghosts, I gotcha bigfoots, mothmen and Yokai of all shapes and sizes, and I have even catalogued the Seven Treasures of Torabisu High School! (I'm not crazy I am COMPLETELY sane I- Hey where are you going?)

Weakness: Self Preservation Levels: Zero - "No restricted area is too restricted! No rickety abandoned mill is too rickety, no mysterious deaths are too mysterious for Kobayashi Enterprising Ghost Hunter and Other Similar Gribblies (Trademark) to look into!"

Approaches:
Forceful +0
Flashy +3
Clever +2
Quick +1
Careful +1
Sneaky +2

Refresh: 3

Stunt: You Handle This I'm Busy! - Once per session, I can grant someone else an Extra Turn instead of taking my own action.

Persona: Cait Sith
Stunt: Spirit Photography - +2 to Flashily Overcome when capturing a Shadows' soul on film. (I.E Scan them for stats)
Stunt: Trick of the Light - +2 to Sneakily Create an Advantage by misdirecting your opposition with illusions.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 4, 2017

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
(A work in progress, obviously.)

Riley Sakurada (AKA Riley McDowell)

Riley's sister had been staring a hole through him for as he brushed his teeth. "Nao? What's up?"

"I wanted to...that is. Nothing. It can wait." She polished her glasses as she looked away.

"It's way too early for this. Come on, Sis. Tell me."

"Really! It's not...later. I'll tell you later. Promise."

*Sigh*

Her second attempt at talking to him involved yanking out his earbuds during the bus ride to school, then apologizing profusely. Lunchtime saw Nao seat herself across from Riley and fixing him with that nervous gaze again. At this point, he was getting annoyed. "Okay, seriously. As of right now, you've officially managed a hat trick in awkward moments. I'm going to finish eating, and you're going to let me know what's-"

"Do you think I wanted this?!"

"...what?"

"I heard you and Mom and Dad yelling last night. Do you think I wanted to replace you?" There was a sob at the end of the question.

Riley placed his onigiri on a plate and pushed it away. "Nao, please don't cry."

"Y-you said that I took away your future."

"That's not what I meant. I promise. You know how I was born, right? And why?"

She did. "Mom and Dad thought they couldn't have kids the normal way. So they, well..."

"I'm a clone of Dad. And I was meant to take over for him at the company once he retired. The way people told me about the job, you'd think I was, like, a prince or something. So much crap about the Sakurada tradition of excellence, and how I needed to be as insanely awesome as my ancestors."

"Then I was born." The bitterness in her voice worried him.

"And I'm glad to have you here. Really. I just...Mom and Dad said they needed to come up with a new plan for me, since you're now the, uh, heir apparent or whatever. That's why I was so pissed off. What, suddenly I don't have any control over my life? I was born to be a goddamn tool for them?" *Sigh* "Nao. You didn't take away my future. If anything, you put things in perspective for me. I don't know how, but I'm going to figure out a way to live my own life. Without my last name deciding things for me."

High Concept: XXII: The Fool

Trouble: This Life is Mine

McDowell is neither his father's surname (obviously) nor his mother's maiden name. Dr. Nina McDowell was the woman who gave Riley life in a lab. And though he never uses the name in any official capacity, he feels more comfortable with it than Sakurada. Same for the doctor herself. Nina has become something of a confidant to Riley over the years. She even taught him computer programming, one of the few things he considers his own.

It must be said that Riley would never see his family has outright enemies. His bitterly regrets that he may need to go against their wishes for the sake of having his own identity or autonomy. But he won't hesitate to do so, if being his own person requires it.

Aspect: Gray Hat Hacker

Aspect: Not So Silent Partners

Approaches:
Clever +2
Quick +3
Flashy +1
Forceful +1
Sneaky +2
Careful 0

Stunt:

Persona: Sir Mordred, Knight of Rebellion

Stunt:
Stunt:

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 9, 2017

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011

Eiji Mitsubayashi (and his axe, Johanna).

The resident high school music-enthusiast, when you see Eiji carrying his case and wearing his Sgt. Pepper's t-shirt in the halls, you know exactly the kind of person he is. He might have learned how to play the guitar because it was a sure-fire way to meet girls, but his dedication and refusal to half-arse his lessons means he actually has the skills to back up his talk. Eiji's the guy who scoffs at people who listen to KGB48 and insist they try listening to some real music, like Dylan, the Pixies, or the Alfee. He brings his guitar to parties and basks in the attention it brings when he dedicates his new jam to that girl you've been talking to all night. He smiles and winks his way through trouble with teachers and girlfriends alike, even as it just makes the hot water he's in boil over.

But despite all that - in spite of all that, really - he's always there for his friends, even when they might not want him to be. He'll bring over some conbini snacks and a mix CD along with that day's class notes if you're sick, but when he catches the same bug refuses to take a day off. When the school festival comes up, Eiji always volunteers to do a live music performance, playing lead guitar, of course - and how about Eiji and the Class 2-C All-Stars as the name? Taking no for an answer, taking the easy way out... that's just not how Eiji rocks and rolls.

Behind that wink and bravado, though, there's a different story waiting to be told. A kid who stays back late practicing and studies at other people's houses because spending time in his own broken home is an exercise in misery. A kid who never knew his mother, whose deadbeat dad has floated from part time job to part time job for years, saying things'll change soon, you'll see, another can of cheap beer rattling across the floor. A kid who knows that all this work, this charm, this potential, it's going to get him out of this place if it's the last thing he ever does.

So he plays his guitar, and smiles, and never lets the weight of the world hold him back. He's seen what happens if you give up on your dreams too many times to fall for that.

Arcana: VII. The Chariot
The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed...
One of life's greatest blessings is the freedom to pursue one's goals.

You know, despite the lyrics, swinging low just isn't how Chariots are supposed to do things. You swing hard and make it count for something, feel me? That's how you make a name for yourself. That's how you achieve your goals.
Upright: Take control of a situation, push through to victory, stay determined in the face of adversity.
Reverse: Charge headlong into a situation, hog the glory, take anger out inappropriately.

Aspect: Leave The Fretting To Me
You need someone to talk to about your problems, Eiji's the guy you talk to. He'll offer advice, rebuild your shattered and put his neck out for you, even if it means wearing himself down in the process. What's a bloody nose but good song material, anyway?
Invoke: Take a burden from someone's shoulders, inspire others in hard times.
Compel: Shoulder more than one person should carry, refuse to let things be.

Aspect: I Always Strike A Chord
Talk with someone, even for a minute, and you'll start to get a feel for who they are. Their thoughts, their ideas, their taste in music - those are all things you can lever in a conversation to push things your way.
Invoke: Charm and empathise, talk his way out of trouble, play a mean guitar.
Compel: Never know when to stop talking, talk his way into trouble, think music always soothes the savage beast.

Trouble: Playing Out Of Tune
I know it might be hard for people to understand, but you're meant to follow Eiji's lead, okay? There's only one leading man on this stage, and he's got the cherry-red guitar.
Compel: Take advice with a grain of salt, pursue his own goals.

Approaches:
Forceful +2
Flashy +3
Clever +2
Quick +1
Careful +0
Sneaky +1

Stunt: Be Sharp
Remember what people tell you and they'll start to trust you. Eiji gets a +2 when he Cleverly creates advantages in a conversation with someone.

Persona: Ragnar Lothbrok
The legendary viking of the sagas. Scourge of the English and the French, father of heroes, his life straddles the line between myth and fact. A powerful figure whose ambition and determination to prove his might drove him into the annals of history.
Persona Stunt: Heat Wave: Hit 'em hard and don't let them catch their breath. Attack multiple targets with a Forceful Attack that is Physical in nature.
Persona Stunt: Lightning Amp: Like a great philosopher once said, you've been thunderstruck. +1 to Attack when using Lightning.

simonwolf fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 11, 2017

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Shin Soichi

“Oh hey, good to hear from you Bro. How’s it going? Great, great. Family okay? What about Kimiko? She still having trouble with that… Great. Well if she ever needs a hand, give me a call. Math is sorta my speciality. Yeah any time Bro, happy to help. Wouldn’t do having your little sister having trouble during the game next Friday, I know how you get! Oh, the guys are having a meet up? Well, tell Toji I can give him that recipe… Oh no dude, can’t today. I’m a… I’m a bit busy. Naaaaaah, not like that Bro. Don’t worry, have fun with the guy’s and I’ll come next time. Maybe. We can go after practice hopefully. Yeah, AFTER. And don’t think that’s an excuse to not bring your A Game. Remember, Friday, Us vs Monsa High. We’re gonna cream them. Haha, yeah Bro. Till then.”

The Soichi’s have always had problems; try as he might, between the chronic illness and lack of experience, the Soichi patriarch could never hold down a job for very long. Add into that a large family and a wife with too many children to care for means that Shin has always been left wanting. As the eldest, soon his parents responsibility became his responsibility. When he was old enough, he became de-facto babysitter, giving his parents both a chance to find work. As he grew older, he was soon accompanying his old man to work and then as he got even older, often times he would be the only one working. Throughout all this, the only thing he ever wanted was to play basketball. Shin Soichi had to endure much, but as long as at the end of the day he could throw a few hoops with what few friends he had and what family could spare the time, he was happy.

When it came time to start highschool, there was only one thing Shin was looking forward to; joining a proper team at last. Sure it was a school team, but now it would be official. He would be a player. And then the truth of Torabisu High came out; it was a bit of a hell hole. The basketball team, like most, was little more then a gang of uniformed delinquents using what little prestige they had to bully their way through school life. For Shin, it was the ultimate betrayal, to take the game and pervert it into something wrong. And when he resisted, the others beat him down.

Or they tried, at least. They tried hard, but none succeeded. Soon it became to much effort and the worst parts of the team gave up their uniforms to become regular bullies instead. For the rest of the team, it was soon to be hell having traded several senior bullies for a singular, more terrifying, junior one. And then things got worse; more specifically Tomio, one of the teams few centres, had a fight with his girlfriend and the teams already dismal performance plummeted even further. Shin cornered him one day and the centre was so terrified it took Shin three tries to get his words through. He gave Tomio some advice, the name of a fancy but inexpensive restaurant and some words of encouragement. The next day, the fight was over.

It was little things like that that changed Shins reputation on the team. With every kind word, every bit of praise, the team grew together and soon enough, they were an actual team. Under Shin, the Torabisu High Basketball Team went from game fodder into regional power over the course of a semester. It was hard work, made even harder by all of his extra-curricular activities but for Shin, it was worth it.

But is it going to stay worth it? It took a lot of work and time out of Shin’s already hectic schedule to get the team up to snuff. But even though they have come leaps and bounds, the old reputation hasn’t been shaken. Even now people avoid him in the halls, the only things keeping the contempt out of their eye’s is the fear. The game is good, but no one wants to share it. With Highschool, all of the work he has to do for his family, plus all the drat unappreciated effort he’s put into the team so far? Shin Soichi is very nearly at his breaking point. When the strange game somehow shows up on his phone, it’s almost a relief to have something take his mind off of everything. He’s got to walk to work anyway; plenty of time to investigate what these strange whispers mean.

High Concept: Strength
Strength, Weakness. Courage, doubt. Patience, Frustration. Compassion, aggression. All of these things are embodied by the Strength Arcana. All of these things are embodied by Shin Soichi, though not everyone see’s all sides of him
Invoke: Remain strong in the face of adversity, stay patient when adversity strikes, come to a deeper understanding of the people around you.
Compel: Lose courage in the face of adversity, lose your cool when adversity strikes, deliberately hurt the people around you.

Aspect: (Terrifying) Reputation
To those that know him, Shin is a kind and caring individual, who always has time to listen to those in need and is willing to call anyone friend. To those that don’t, he is the terrifying kouhai that has all but took over the basketball gang team, and the only reason their reign of terror hasn’t started up again in that Shin is biding his time.
Invoke: Intimidate individuals, call on allies, leadership.
Compel: Bad rumours, friends in need, people coming around looking for a fight.

Aspect: Heart of the Basketball Team
It took a lot to get the Basketball Team where it is now. Kind words, practical advice and a deep well of empathy for the people around him. Shin isn’t just the captain of the team, he’s also team mother. Ready to stop and help, just about anyone really. Of course, given his reputation, his team are usually the only ones willing to ask.
Invoke: Get help from some trusted friends, athleticism, enjoy some perks around school.
Compel: Prior commitments, suffer injury from games and practice, keep a bad reputation.

Trouble: Family Financial Trouble
Not all is well in the Soichi family home. Alot of younger siblings, an overworked mother and a sick father all mean Shin has had to pick up a lot of slack in and out of the home. A good majority of his time outside of school and basketball is spent in the interminable number of part time jobs he has had to take in order to keep his family afloat. This has also meant he hasn’t had enough time to better get to know his classmates at Torabisu. This, his constant fatigue and the tales of his prowess on and off the court have all compounded his reputation at school.
Compel: Fatigue and tiredness, prior commitments, lack of resources.

Stunt: Holy Dunker. Slam, Bam, Thank you ma'am. +2 when flashily creating advantages using a basketball, or when basketball themed.

Persona: Hunahpu

Stunt: Legendary Ball Game Gear. +2 when forcefully defending 1 on 1.
Stunt: Heroic Twin. Once per scene, pay a FATE point to avoid a consequence.

Flashy +3
Quick +2
Forceful +2
Sneaky +1
Clever +1
Careful +0

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 5, 2017

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
WIP

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/SNY1yHu.jpg[[/timg]

Yumiko Harada

"Hiiii! I'm Yumiko, and totally, like, stoked for this!

My hobbies? Well, I like hanging out with friends and shopping! Oh, and I totally love Karaoke!

I'm not much of a morning person though! Always late at school, and sleepy until fourth period... Our homeroom teacher always gets upset about it, haha!

Hey, I saw you talk to that girl from the home economics club yesterday! Don't bother with those weirdos, whole school knows they're lame! You'd be much better off hanging out with me and my cool friends.

Um. I can see you're not the judgin' sorta person, so I'll let you in on a little secret of mine, okay? Don't tell anyone though!

This whole fashion gal thing I've got going, that's not entirely me. I mean yeah, I like fashion and shopping! But I play it up a bit, and I don't really party all that much. Most nights I just binge on some series on Netflix or something. Sometimes I watch documentaries. Hah, that surprised you, huh? Yep. Anything that's on tv, I'll watch it at some point.

Promise you won't tell!
"

At a glance, Yumiko appears to be the platonic ideal of a carefree and popular high schooler: she hangs out with all the cool guys and gals, seems to go to one or other party every weekend, and catches everyone's attention with her sense of style and easy-going mannerisms. This same popularity and image she paints of herself have caused her trouble with other classmates and even the school administration at times, as she seems to take nothing seriously and is derided as an airhead by more serious pupils.

Underneath this happy-go-lucky image Yumiko paints for herself lie serious doubts and esteem issues, however. Having been the victim of mockery and bullying in her middle school by the popular cliques there, she entered Torabisu with a mask that she hoped would make her popular. She discovered a genuine interest in fashion and the gyaru lifestyle, but deep inside, the shy couch potato lives on. When she needs to collect her thoughts, she always delves back into her passion for tv series and cinema.

Lately, cracks have appeared in her facade. Yumiko's empathy and sympathy for the outcasts of society occasionally clashes with the image she paints of herself as a fun-having girl that's "in" with the cool kids, so to speak.

Approaches
Clever +2
Quick +1
Flashy +1
Forceful +0
Sneaky +3
Careful +2

Arcana: The Moon
The Moon represents creativity, the subconscious and inspiration.
The Moon represents illusion, reflection, confusion.
Something in your life is not what it seems. Perhaps a misunderstanding on your part, or a truth you cannot admit to yourself. It may also indicate something important being kept from you by another. This may be a source of worry or depression in your life, and the Moon is a strong indicator that you must rely on your intuition to see through the subterfuge.

The Moon symbolises a time for rest and preparation while we wait for the Sun to rise again.

Invoke: See through deception, look within for guidance, inspire in the darkness
Compel: Project your fears unto others, feel isolation, deceive yourself

Trouble: Self-conscious
Whoa, don't just talk to me in public like that! What will people think if they see me talk with an otaku like you? Let's talk behind the lockers. Actually, no, that's even more suspicious! Let's meet after school.
Compel: Refuse something because it would reflect badly upon you, obsess over what other think of you, waste time keeping up appearances

Aspect: Night Owl
All of the cool things happen at night! All the best parties and festivals go on 'till the morning, and that's when you meet the really interesting kinda people. And if there's nothing special to do, there's always a new tv series to binge on!
Invoke: Power through a long night, meet a new contact at night, find your way in the dark
Compel: Feel the exhaustion, let your grades suffer, be the subject of rumors

Aspect: Fashion Guru
Do you think this lipstick looks good on me? Yes? I think it's maybe a bit much. Hmm, which of these dresses should I wear? Oh no, my hair is all messy! No, mom, I can't be seen like this! I need a hairbrush!
Invoke: Dazzle someone with your looks, give someone a make-over, know where to buy what
Compel: Give unsolicited advice, annoy others with endless questions, splurge all of the cash

Stunt: Ooh, I know this one!
I've watched a lot of movies and documentaries from all across the world, so sometimes I'll see a shadow and be all like "I've seen this! I know what happens next!" And then we hit 'em right where it hurts!
I can spend one fate point to declare an aspect relating to an enemy, invokable for free once by an ally, as long as it's themed along the lines of a movie!

Persona: Ka-Ata-Killa
Ka-Ata-Killa was known as "Mother Moon", and was goddess of the moon. She was the goddess of marriage and the menstrual cycle, and considered a defender of women. Myths surrounding Ka-Ata-Killa include that she cried tears of silver and that lunar eclipses were caused when she was being attacked by an animal. She was envisaged in the form of a beautiful woman and her temples were served by dedicated priestesses.

Stunt: Guardian of Women
+2 (or +1, depending on GM fiat and ladies in the final party) to Quickly Defend a woman (including Yumiko!) when she is attacked.

Stunt: Moon Snipe
+2 to Carefully Attack the last enemy that was harmed by an ally.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 9, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
WIP, here's a Star for the group!

Youta Howa, aka Raidou Kuzunoha the Seventeenth

Gasp...gasp...do they plan it so I have to do the training in torrential downpours?!

I used to think my parents were just helicopter education parents with weirdo interests. That's why Mom pushed me to join the Kendo club at school and Dad kept taking me down to the JGSDF range to learn to shoot a handgun. Grandma's a swordsmith, and Dad's in the reserves, so it's weird, but not abnormal. And I managed to sneak some lazy time all for myself by making up a so-called Black Magic club, by which I meant sneaking out to a little park area where nobody went and taking cat-naps under the trees. I mean, some days I'd hear whispers coming from the shrine in the center of the park, but I'd just tell myself it was the wind or the little waterfall there.

So one day my parents take me out to that park with a bunch of other people in funny robes and drag me into the shrine proper. And I really don't remember what the heck happened in there, but it turns out I'm someone out of a maho shonen manga! And at first I thought to myself, hey, cool, being defender of Tokyo is probably good enough to score me hot guys!

Then Dad work me up at 4 in the morning to go running with him on a military-approved obstacle course. And mom would take me down to the shrine after school to "meditate" under the waterfall, by which I mean nearly freeze to death because torrential rains turned it into a BIG waterfall.

And you know what? I could deal with all of that. I could deal with moving up to assault rifles, getting a real sword and channeling weird poo poo into it, hearing voices in my head whenever I walk by a sacred space, all of that. But the one thing I can't deal with is...my parents calling me Raidou. Or even worse, Seventeenth. It's like I'm not their son, anymore, you know? Like Youta Howa died after the shrine thing and some other person took over the body, and my parents are dealing with him in this weird half-worshipful, half-superpressurized way.

I'd still throw everything back into the inner sanctum of the shrine for them to call me "Youta" again.

Arcana: XVII: The Star
A card for messiahs, idealists and depressed people, the Star is all about hope (when it's upright) or lack thereof (inverted).
Upright (Invoke): Inspire others to push forward; act as a beacon of faith
Inverted (Compel): Be utterly ungrounded in reality; become bogged down in despair

Aspect: Part Time Supernatural Sentinel
Did you know that there's still a natural waterfall in Tokyo that will dump a hundred thousand liters of water on your meditating head every fifteen minutes? Did you know you can bypass 95% of the gun ownership laws just by having a certain license...and the papers for said license are easy to get? Did you know pixies like it when you call them cute? I know all that, and I kind of wish I didn't.
Invoke: Talk to demons, recognize occult knowledge, Kuzunoha weird tricks, hyah!
Compel: Be tasty to demons, be thought of as a weirdo, Kuzunoha paranoia, aaah!

Aspect: Bridge between Past and Future
The only reason I'm able to play VR games in the first place is because my parents know poo poo about technology, and as long as I'm moving around instead of sitting on the futon with a controller in my hand they can think I'm stretching or something. (Of course they threw out the W** * when I got the title, so...) I had to jailbreak my smartphone to make it work in the house, and my dad still uses a freaking rotary dial and has to call me to figure out how to use the dishwasher! It took a lot of work to make the occult and the tech play nice together, believe me...
Invoke: Smartphone "Book of Friends", combine occult seals and modern technology to be greater than the sum of its parts
Compel: Awkward phone calls about the laundry machine, underestimated combinations explode when turned on

Trouble: Puppet on Lonely Strings
Nobody asked me if I wanted to be a Kuzunoha. I wasn't given a contract to sign or a recruitment pamphlet to read before my parents drove me out to a shrine in the middle of nowhere with all these other occultists I don't even know and summoned up all these ghosts of the past. They keep telling me since the other lines are AWOL I'm all that stands between Japan and the gaping abyss of hell and my parents don't even call me Youta anymore, to them I'm "Seventeenth" and...and...and...it's all too much!
Compel: Fail to relate to others, "you think you have it bad?!", temporary catatonia

Stats
Forceful +3
Quick +2
Clever +2
Flashy +1
Careful +1
Sneaky +0

Kuzunoha Connections: Once per session, Youta can call his parents' friends to get access to things that high school kids probably shouldn't have access to. Be it weapons, forged papers, or a beat-up metal car, being a Kuzunoha in the 21st century at least has a lot of perks.

Persona: D'artagnan

There actually was a "Charles Ogier de Batz de Castelmore, Comte d'Artagnan", and he did serve as the commander of the French Muskeeters of the Guard. However, his achievements in life, along with most of his name, are almost completely overshadowed by the stories penned by Alexandre Dumas, written over 150 years after his death. 150 years after Dumas' writings, where D'artagnan's life ends and his mythos begins...who can say?
All for One...: When invoking multiple aspects or advantages in a Forceful Attack, each after the first is worth an additional +1 (the second is +3, the third is +4...)
...and One for All: Any friendly PC or NPC targeted by a physical attack in the same zone as D'artagnan may use his Forceful +3 to defend in place of their own stats. Each individual targeted may use this only once per round.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 12, 2017

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Atsuro Kosei
Music

The name "Kosei" is feared across the Japanese legal system. In his day, legendary prosecutor Gen Kosei was known as "the Hand of Justice", a terror of the courtroom who put over 300 criminals behind bars. Expectations are high for his son Eiichi, who graduated from the prestigious Shujin Academy and is basically guaranteed a spot in the prosecutor's office once he graduates. This means that Atsuro, born five years after Eiichi to a different mother, is basically set for life. Until Eiichi gets back from America, Atsuro will have the freedom to do whatever he wants. He's already gotten a head start by being kicked out of his last school, ending up at Torabisu.

Atsuro's actions are not those of a model honor student, but his mindset is. He is diligent in his studies and consistently scores high marks on exams, not because it's what's expected of him, but because high marks are a personal priority. If he gets into a good school on his own merit, without help from his brother or the principal, he'll be able to carve his own path, free from the expectations of a Kosei. Although Atsuro has stubbornly clung to his singular goal of being his own person, not his father or brother, it hasn't really worked out to his advantage so far. To his teachers he's a cocky little poo poo; to his classmates he's a stubborn know-it-all; to the first year's he's the troublemaker in 2-D; to the third-years he's invisible. But it doesn't matter. All Atsuro has to do is stand out from the crowd for long enough to be noticed, to get his foot in the door without some stuffed shirt leaving it open for him.

Simple as can be, right?

High Concept: VIII: Justice
Invoke when I stick up for those weaker than myself.
Compel when I witness a unjust situation and make it my problem.

Trouble: I'm Not The Law (But My Brother Is)
Compel when my disdain for authority or societal expectations of me becomes an issue.

Aspect: I Can Do This All Day
Invoke when being quick-footed or quick-witted would help.
Compel when I stubbornly or impulsively commit to something I can't finish.

Aspect: Habitual Know-it-all
Invoke to call to mind relevant history, mythology, or trivia.
Compel to force me to WELL, ACTUALLY someone at an inopportune time.

Approaches:
Clever +3
Quick +2, Flashy +2
Forceful +1, Sneaky +1
Careful 0

Refresh 3

Turnabout There's always a chance, however small, to turn a hopeless situation completely on its head. Once per session, when I Overcome a situation aspect, I can turn it into one that benefits my allies.

Persona: Enoch, the Chosen Scribe
A scribe in service to God in apocryphal Abrahamic lore. He was given the task of capturing the Grigori, and became one of only two humans to ascend to Heaven without dying.

Heaven's Bow When Forcefully Attacking, Enoch can target all enemies in the zone.
Speed Master +2 to Quickly Defend when only Atsuro is targeted.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 11, 2017

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
So just to let you all know, applications close either the 11th or 12th. Feel free to continue asking questions via this thread or the discord.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Edited my app. Hopefully Atsuro comes across the way I intended now. He's kind of a cross between Brown and Makoto, with a little bit of Kanji thrown in.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Last minute insomnia apps are the best apps.

Ren Aihara

柔らかい小さなおしゃぶり
hi( ´(oo)ˋ ) welcome to my stream. my name is mebuchan.thats my gamer name but i got a lot of others for when Im smurfing on some LOSER like you Щ(・`ω´・Щ) im not very good at speaking English (class is lame) but ill tell you to get rekt if you make fun of me, i basically just ignore all the comments anyway(//▽//) i get really into the game but please don't forget to tip im actually super poor lol (×_×)⌒☆ makeups expensive

FAQorwhatever
    PC Set up
    i7-3770k @ 3.50GHz GTX1080 va va voom ᕙ(▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿) ᕗ i bet the webcam is the only part you even care about you sick otaku trash

How old are you?
    a goddess is eternal \\٩(๑`^´๑)۶//

Whats your Favorite Games?
    cutting my baby teeth racking APM on Broodmarch or dunking kek-spouting losers like you all on Summoner Stories. I main Tarantola on Worldforce one shot one kill ( ´-ω・)︻┻┳══━一 i dont even like games, id rather be watching 【 TV 】 and eating snacks, but i just like the thrill of kicking your assss ( ˘ ɜ˘) ♬♪♫ but really its mostly that I hate losing im the worst sore loser lmao dont push it ((╬◣﹏◢))✂╰⋃╯

What is your City Name?
    uggggh im MOVVVVING i left my heart in osaka tho

Why aren't you streaming anymore?
    SCHOOL (눈_눈) exams are like a big deal or something lol but like if you donate i can do this full time and just quit or whatever college is a joke anyway or maybe just get me something on my wishlist idc ( ̄□ ̄」)

:h: High Concept: VI. Lovers
There is both joy and wonder in coming to understand another...
Ren Aihara is a second-year high school student that just happens to be a prominent streaming self-proclaimed "idol." Born and raised in Osaka, from a young age she used as the internet as a way to connect and separate herself from a distant family, in part due to her speech impediments leading to severe bullying at a young age. She was never actually good at gaming at first, but used it as an outlet for her frustrations, especially learning the dynamics of online gaming and eventually streaming as a way to discover herself. The anonymity of griefing provided her a way to get power over other people without the emotional biteback of them seeming real to her. Soon, she found she had people praising her for it, and while she's used it to explore her own sense of worth now putting herself in front of a camera as she is older, there's still a deep level of toxicity that her awakening to a part of herself she denies must help her overcome. She finds making connections with people increasingly difficult, instead seeking the trappings of a facsimile of fame, fueled by her own obsession and that of others.
Invoke to explore a relationship with someone new, seek understanding through social interaction, or bring harmony between two others. (All of which she currently struggles with but has the capability to take on.)
Compel to provoke indecision at a crossroads, invoke confusion and discord in a relationship and about one's emotions, or to create an obsessive fixation on someone or something.

:d: Aspect: The Adoration of Fans
Ren, as her online handle of 'mebuchan', has a legion of loyal online fans that know probably a bit too much of her life from the details she has shared, but from which she extracts attention and gifts to her own pleasure. If anything, she enjoys humiliating and looking down on them, and they seem to feed off that nature, holding her up as an unassailable "real deal" that still tantalizes. She's extremely aware of how much she edges into exploitation, and she's getting increasingly uncomfortable with it, as well as the lengths that some fans go, and her queenly personality online is in complete contrast with her stuttering, fragile ego in real life, as much as she is trying to bring both together in her quest for self-actualization.
Invoke to get gifts and resources from generous donations, boost a signal for a message she puts across on steam, or use recognition with the right crowd to dazzle and command attention.
Compel to expose a little too much of her life to the wrong people, to have someone try and get too close, or for her obligations get missed enough that the crowd sours on her.

:d: Aspect: Something of a Switch
Ren's online persona is mixed and she uses a huge amount of accounts, rooted in her history as being a griefer and troll on many different online games, unafraid to use any exploits and downright mean tactics on what are basically innocent people, though she's increasingly become aware just of what kind of effects that has on people. Her griefer accounts are often named ridiculous and usually masculine names like "Bl00dr1nk3r", "sLAUGHTER", "WHOMAULS" or "R#g$ng_Bull" as if to separate it further from her personality. She doesn't really consider it her, it's just something that she does. Even if it's part of the basis of her internet personality, she adorns herself with soft colors and is almost overprotective of her femininity, intensifying her discomfort at school due to her lack of graces and continuing speech impediment (and now, no longer in Osaka, her accent.) But she doesn't have that problem online, when putting on a performance. She switches from "on" to "off" like the terrible goddess that she has realized the Persona of in her soul.
Invoke to mislead someone as to your true personality, to act in a suddenly confident manner unexpectedly, to relentlessly revenge herself on an enemy real or imagined.
Compel to suddenly strike dumb with stuttering and crippling lack of self-esteem, to express her anger suddenly in an uncalled way, or to find out she hurt someone when she really didn't mean to.

:s: Trouble: Actually Just a Hot Mess
Ren barely made it through middle school. She doesn't come off as really all that smart, but she's extremely dogged at learning things when given a chance. Really it's her self-esteem that has kept her from actually realizing any talent, but despite her gussied up and queenly persona online, she barely can keep herself together in real life and all but collapses under any social pressure. She's extremely emotionally sensitive, volatile like an explosive barrel, and prone to sudden fits of violence and/or crying. She's barely holding it together between her increasingly demanding fanbase, the crushing expectations of a Japanese high school, and likely now whatever pressures that come with being a Persona-user. She would rather just melt away and run away from it all, using some kind of escapism to dull her senses. Sometimes, she hurts people just because she wants them to leave her alone. She has a lot to learn.
Compel to make her completely miss an important detail or appointment due to some irresponsible excuse, come off as completely diffuse and an outcast to someone socially, or bring down authority figures with restrictions born of her evading her responsibilities.

:d: Approaches
Careful +3
Forceful +2, Flashy +2
Clever +1, Sneaky +1
Quick +0

:h: Refresh: 3

:c: Stunt: IRL Master of the Debuff Stack. Ren gets +2 to Carefully Defend against someone by attacking their self-esteem with a cutting remark about weaknesses already revealed or straight up bullying, setting them up for a later failure and pointing the flaws all throughout their "play."

:h: Persona: Sekhmet, Even-Handed of Healing and Injury

A goddess of vengeance so terrible that those who called her tricked her that wine was blood to stop her rampage. She drank so deeply of the wine that she was reduced to a drunken stupor, becoming a goddess of joy and healing, but capable of turning at any moment.
Ren loves pigs and cows so she'd have much rather been associated with Hathor, the original aspect of Sekhmet, especially since she dislikes cats (she's allergic). But more, Hathor represents everything she kind of wishes she was in touch with about herself, while Sekhmet is very much more representative of where she is with her own psychology, representing the dichotomy she has to truly realize both sides of. Her powers lean towards recovery and status ailments, and Psychokinesis attacks that often other Egyptian-themed Shadows are weak to, and take technical advantage of her debuffs.

:c: Stunt: Amrita Drop. Ren can call down an energized shower of wine-like rain that dulls pain and other status effects, allowing her to spend a Fate point once per Session to help an ally recover from a Consequence.

:c: Stunt: Marin Karin. Ren gains a +2 bonus to Flashily Create Advantage by magically charming and stupefying the enemy, bringing them temporarily over to her side or otherwise adjusting their behavior with a intoxicating ambrosia.

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 13, 2017

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Rumiko Tsubasa

"Oh, howdy there. Hey, you reckon you can help me with this smart phone. Darn thing ain't doing what I want it. Hah, I'm showin' my Shikoku roots ain't I? Yeah, I just moved here recently. Still gettin' used to the big city. Miss the ol' farm a fair bit but, you know, time's are changin' I guess, and well, the farm, the farm wasn't really paying for anything. Times movin' on I guess."

"It ain't fair though. My mother, and her mother and her mother were all farmer's wives. I knew where my life was headin'. Was even looking forward to it, maybe. Good calm life, raisin' rice and kids. Things all planned out. And then, ya know. Turned out dad had just barely been keepin' the debt collectors at bay. Then you have one bad year, and bam, centuries o' tradition just end. Now we're livin' in some small little apartment here. An' I ain't gonna lie. Class ain't really going all too well. I ain't stupid or nothin, but, I dunno what I wanna do. This wasn't the that was planned for me."

"Ah, darn it. Sorry sugar. I'm rantin'. Just a lot of things comin' at me. An' all the dainty city girls ain't makin' it easier. Ya'd think they'd be grateful when I smushed that big spider in the locker room with my bare hands and got rid of the mess, but prissy lil' waifs treatin' me like I'm some kind of brutish monster. Tsh, they're actin' disgusted with me, while they're goin' around sellin' their panties and goin' on dates with salarymen and all kind of city nonsense."

High Concept: Empress
Nature, femininity and fertility play a big role in Rumiko's life, both her past and her future. She was raised on a farm, and raising plants is still something that can interest her far more than any TV show, and she can talk with melancholy about the farm her family lost. But in her future too, her plans don't involve carreers or degrees. They involve marriage, and children. At her best, she is down to earth and dedicated, but she can be outright narrowminded, and at times holds too tight to the things she feels she should want, and doesn't independently check for her own desires.
Invoke to: Know something about the natural world, take on a motherly role,
Compel to: show disinterest in technology or urban life

Aspect: Honest Farm Muscles
Rumiko isn't exactly a fighter. But she's been helping out on the family farm for most of her life, and she has the muscles to go with it. Students that sought to pick on her soon found that they'd best use verbal or social methods, rather than physical, because Rumiko, well, in PE she makes quite a few of the boys look bad. She joined the Archery Club, where she's shown some promise, and gets to use some of the heavier bows. And while not a martial artist, a few boys who crossed lines found that she has quite the killer grip, and make sure to keep hands at home. Of course, all this strength does sometimes make her a bit of an 'odd one out'
Invoke to: Show raw strength,
Compel to: Inadvertently showcase strength and undermine her own perceived femininity, make boys look bad.

Aspect: Traditional Family
Rumiko's family are devout shintoists, and despite living in the city, they try to hold on to those traditions. Rumiko herself has been well educated in these matters, and tries her best to combine a modern high school girl life with the principles there.
Invoke to: Have knowledge of Japanese religious tradition, hold fast against pressure or compulsion to break those tabboos, have knowledge of traditional feminine tasks like cooking or cleaning.
Compell to: Follow those strictures, show disapproval to those who do not follow it, or face trouble with the family for breaking those rules

Trouble: Fish out of Water:
All of the above to show that Rumiko is not comfortable in the city. She didn't ask to be here, she often doesn't like it here, and the city often doesn't seem to like her. She's facing pressure from the city to adapt and change, and pressure from home to hold on to what she is, and she is trying to figure out herself in the meantime. Every day seems to have new opportunities to look like a socially maladjusted, slow witted bumpkin to people who couldn't survive for two days without a wi-fi connection. It ain't nice for a girl to tell them off, so she just smiles, but it's starting to weigh on her.

Approaches:
Forceful +3
Careful +2, Quick +2
Clever +1, Sneaky +1
Flashy 0

Stunt: Country Wisdom: Gain a +2 when Forcefully calling out perceived immoralities or hypocrisies of city life.

Persona:
Shub Niggurath: The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young

Nature and fecundity, unbound by human power, morality or rules. Ancient beyond humanity, and powerful, and just as likely to devour the whole human house of cards at any point, she both speaks of Rumiko's high esteem of nature and fertility, as well as her frustration of society's disconnect from nature, and the judgement she suffers for not being connected to society. But the untamed power also represents her own feeling of powerlessness in the face of her future.

Stunt: Spawn Dark Young: Shub Niggurath is constantly spawning her offspring, and they can serve as additional spies, vigils or distractions. They are not very smart, nor very strong, but they are plentiful.

Stunt: Inhumantly Terrifying: May make a Forceful check to Give the Fear Condition to all enemies present. (Not sure if this is overpowered/underpowered?)

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 13, 2017

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
:siren: Picks are here! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BSJAAo1uNY

To start us off, we have Seka Kuroda, the firebrand and most leader-y type I could find, who can give folks the kick in the pants they need to go forward. This was a blast of an app from start to finish, and I knew they were getting in from the moment I saw them. Seka kind of formed the basis of all the other picks.

Secondly, we have a gal pal, someone who'd, all things considered, naturally hang out with Seka. Yumiko Harada is another really fun app, and kind of striking a balance between being a peppy can-do type while also being very careful about their long-term ramifications.

Thirdly, working off of Seka's desire to defend those who are really out there, and Yumiko's desire to hang around interesting folks when not in public, Yo Kobayashi and his cat are next. We kind of spitballed fun ideas about this app, and the idea of the cat being able to pretty seamlessly blend into the real world in the form of Tomo really sold it for us.

Fourth, a really good app all-around and some much-needed sanity/backbone for the group, Shin Soichi. Tempting as it was to pick all four female applicants plus Yo, between Yo's eccentricity, Seka's rebelliousness, and Yumiko likely being down for whatever, I really wanted someone with enough courage and discipline to take them all aside and tell them that their idea is crazy.

Lastly, thinking along those same lines, but also among the girl power line, Rumiko Tsubasa turned out to be an amazing last-minute entry. A farm girl Empress is surprisingly clever, and she's a great contrast to the aforementioned eccentrics, while also giving Shin someone who can second his assertions. Not to mention I'd just finished Resident Evil 7 not too long ago so a country bumpkin with an Eldritch horror is pretty novel to me.

I'll have a thread up tonight or tomorrow, but for everyone else who didn't get picked, you can feel free to stay on the discord, be a part of OOC chatter, or, more likely, I might set up a tab in the discord for miscellaneous student chats, where, ala P5, you can gossip about current events and/or hold conversation. That said, I have one more thing for you. As a phone app, this game has in-app purchases and DLC. Why don't you all go ahead and post some kind of add-on to put into the game. It can be a costume pack, a new enemy, some form of item pack, a hidden easter egg, just invent some kind of little benny and I'll see if I can tie it into the game in one way or another. This doesn't have to be specifically related to the virtual world either; you can, for instance, create a Rumor Pack that includes a specific rumor or similar hook for an event in the real world. I love putting things together in sandbox form, so by all means, post something. If you're unsure if your idea will work, hit me up on the discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Thread is up!

• Locked thread