Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

The NieR Notebooks

Hi! I'm coming into this game completely blind and I've been told from the start that the story is...a little messed up. This being a Yoko Taro game I also happen to know that the plot is kinda complicated, and a lot of the finer details are in inference and references to things that happened several hours ago that you wouldn't possibly remember.

I really want to truly understand and appreciate this game so enter The Notebook.

I'll be taking notes during each session to help me keep track of the characters, plot and occasionally sidequests of this game! These notes will also contain random rear end doodles and my personal thoughts on current events that are quite frankly, too stupid to actually say during recording -- from what we've recorded so far I am in love with this game and my commentary is a lot more focused than what you're used to from a Fae recording, so my silly off-hand thoughts go into The Notes instead of my audio.

I'll be posting the NieR Notes from each session as the final episode from that recording session is posted so that folks going in blind with me aren't spoiled also. So look forward to that!

Fae out!

The NieR Notes
Page 1: Episodes 1-3 (Session 1)
Page 2: Episodes 4-7 (Session 2)
Page 3: Episodes 8-11 (Session 3)
Page 4: Episodes 12-14 (Session 4)
Page 5- Page 6: Episodes 15-18 (Session 5)
Page 7 - Page 8: Episodes 19-22 (Session 6)
Page 9 - Page 10 - Episodes 23-26 (Session 7)
Page 11 - Page 12 - Page 13 - Episodes 27-30 (Session 8)
Page 14 - Page 15 - Page 16 - Episodes 31-35 (Session 9)
Page 17 - Page 18 - Episodes 36-38 (Session 10)
Page 19 - Episodes 39-42 (Session 11)
Page 20 - Page 21: Episodes 43-46 (Session 12)
Page 22 - Page 23: Episodes 47-49 (Session 13)
Page 24 - Page 25 - Episodes 50 - 54 (Session 14)

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hell yeah I love the song of the ancients, to the point where after this stream was over I found an extended 1 hour version to idly listen to. As of now, I have probably listened to this one hour version of the song ten times.

I think I have a problem.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

aaaaand here's my NieR notes for this session! Not much this session since nothing much happened but still, have my observations on the plot so far!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

You didn't even stay to listen to that song for a bit. That's really rude.

Also, don't search for that song! The comments and related videos are lousy with spoilers. Like seriously! Never search for something from this game.

Have a polsy link instead:
https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVDftyQ96ZVs

It's really wistful and gloomy compared to the previous music. But it doesn't exactly sound sad. It's a quite great theme for a great character.

Ahhh thank you! I had actually forgotten to look for this after the session but I'm glad I didn't if the comments have so many spoilers in it! Now I can enjoy this as much as I enjoy making fun of Kainé's outfit!

(I'm joking, Kainé is rapidly becoming one of my favourite characters in this game which will surprise literally nobody who knows anything about me)

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

aaaand the notes for this session, wherein I started to doodle!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I both knew that someone would correct me on that, and that it would be you. Never change, liquidypoo :allears:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Oh don't worry, I plan to make a big effortpost near the end of this LP about Kainé and why I love her a lot, and why her outfit is ridiculous looking but ultimately not a concern for me like it is with characters like Quiet, for example. Long story short, Kainé is a goddamn badass and her outfit is great

Speaking of great things, here's this session's NieR Notes!

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 4, 2017

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I read it more as Dad really wants Kainé to live, either because he respects her as a fighter and a person or because he just doesn't want to let someone die on his watch (or hell, both) and he will say or do anything to make sure she doesn't give up. Including agreeing to whatever cheesy thing Weiss is saying, since the notion of having friends did seem to perk Kainé up a bit. He's just desperate, and is grasping at whatever he can to try to convince her not to give up on herself.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

and here's the NieR notes for the last session, featuring really lovely doodles of shades, wolves, and the boss!

Also whoever got my avatar, I love it! Thank you!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I still have no idea what's happening. There's not a lot of talk of the overall plot in the game so far, but if fetch-quest oriented games have taught me anything, some major poo poo is due to go down.

This is the first act of a Yoko Taro game, you shouldn't expect to get the whole story in the first loop. I'm sure things will be explained in time but in the meantime I'm basically doing this:

JT Jag posted:

My only advice is to pay attention to every new piece of information we get, but don't take anything for granted: our understanding of this Black Scrawl situation could change at any moment.

This is actually the original intent of The Notebook and I think its going to get a lot of use in the upcoming acts of the game as I struggle desperately to understand the plot and remember details that I only half wrote down because I have zero skill in note-taking

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

New session, new NieR notes!
Page 1 - Page 2

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

A little late but its time for some NieR Notes from the previous session!

Page 7 - Page 8: Episodes 19-22

The bright yellow post-it note is there to censor the name of who I thought the Shadowlord was, just in case I was correct. Argate and Artix know what my guess is but didn't tell me if it was correct or not.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Time for the NieR notes from last session!

Page 9 - Page 10

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

That's basically what I have to do every time we record again after a break of longer than a few weeks :v:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

You should, thanks to this I have found that the most hilarious way to take notes on something is to write them down as you're attempting to comprehend the thing you're seeing, without really thinking about what you're writing. It leads to...well, The Notebook

(note: this is not recommended if you actually have to take notes for work or school, it will probably lead to you failing your class and/or being fired)

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

All done with route A!

I really like this game, you guys

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Do you find that this sort of tragic media helps you deal with your own feelings about these subjects by recontextualising your feelings in a safe environment, or is it a sore spot that you tend to avoid when you can?

Its interesting that you ask that actually because I've never really thought about it but its true.

For context (and for those who don't know) I have pretty severe PTSD from witnessing my aunt's murder during a spree killing in my village a few years ago. Part of recovering from any trauma is learning that you can't spend the rest of your life avoiding things that make you think about whatever traumatic incident you experienced, because it leads to you getting more and more frightened of things associated with that experience and basically makes things worse.

Ever since my aunt's murder I've found solace in stories where characters suffer great hardship. Sometimes they recover and become stronger for it, sometimes they're scarred for life and sometimes they merely just survive while still dealing with the effects of their trauma. Its a way to show myself that there's more that can happen to me in the future than just not recovering and being a scared agorophobe for the rest of my life.

These characters being fictional kinda helps with the guilt too because these awful things aren't happening to real people -- after being through what I've been through I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But yeah, stories like this, I know they aren't real and while it might make me feel things like it did in that recording sessions, I know nothing bad actually happened to any real people, and seeing how these fictional characters deal with their pain and trauma gives me little clues as to how to deal with my own.

Sorry to get super real in the thread here, but as Artix pointed out, this game is about grief and I'm seeing a bit of a theme of survivor's guilt in there too which are two things I absolutely have a very personal and intimate experience with, so it resonates very deeply with me. If I can use that experience to have interesting discussions about a game that I am head over heels in love with? Well, at least some good came out of it I guess!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Time for NieR Notes!

Page 11 - Page 12 - Page 13 - Episodes 27-30

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

and time for NieR notes! I said a lot more in my notes than I did in the audio, I think.

Page 14 - Page 15 - Page 16 - Episodes 31-35

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Everyone's been posting these in our discord and they're all really cool, I legitimately can't wait to see what the thread comes up with!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I feel like now is a good time to mention, before people get confused, that you don't need to reference Drakengard or Nier in these entries at all, we're looking for something that captures the spirit of the weapon stories so you don't need to include characters, events and locations from the games as long as you can nail that tone!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Time for the Nier Notes for this session!

Page 17 - Page 18 = Episodes 36-37

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

A little late, but NieR notes!

Page 19 - Episodes 39-42

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Nebrilos posted:

Since Drakengard discussion is not allowed in this thread, does anyone know a thread where I can ask about Drakengard?

This information may have come straight from my arse, but I'm pretty sure its Drakengard 3 we're avoiding spoilers on, the others are fair game. I know the first game has some link to Nier but I'm not sure what yet and from what I remember, its a very minor thing anyway so a simple question should be okay BUT Argate can confirm or deny that!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

a little late but here's the nier notes from last session! Featuring our good pal, The Mudercube

Page 20 - Page 21: Episodes 43-46

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I'm so sorry for my mic in these episodes, I swear I wasn't recording from inside a tin can! Windows did its update thing which reset my sound settings and for some reason part of that was audacity using my cheap rear end webcam as my mic instead of my expensive blue snowball. Thanks Windows!!!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Okay so there's some weirdness with the NieR notes, here's what I have so far:

Page 20 - Page 21: Episodes 43-46 (Session 12)
Page 22 - Page 23: Episodes 47-49 (Session 13)
Page 24 - Page 25 - Episodes 50 - 54 (Session 14)

This takes us up to session 14. Now here's the problem; I have no idea where the pages for session 15 are and since I moved house, the notebook has gotten misplaced. I usually show the guys my notes after each session but I can't find any pictures that I might have missed and these notes seem like they might be connected to those episodes because I talked about emil's story so ?????

final notebook pages wil come soon once I can figure out what the hell has happened here and maybe find the notebook

EDIT: Yeah I have no idea what the gently caress happened here but I think the notes are all up to date? Anyway here's the final two pages, which I wrote in this book because I couldn't find the nier notebook:

Anyway here they are!

Final Notes

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Oh theres an LP? I've never played NieR and I've heard it's a real chore to get through but ultimately rewarding, I'd love if someone did an lp of it!