Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

BRING BACK NWA MOUNTAIN STATE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

They need The Maestro.

Also Johnny Blast.

this guy gets it

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Bix has a great breakdown of the whole thing tied into the evolution and eventual crash of the NWA on Deadspin

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

eshock posted:

Is there an NWA tape library separate from what the WWE already owns from WCW/JCP, and if so is it worth anything?

At this point WWE likely owns everything that's even close to worth owning, at least from the states

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

loving lol billy corgan is never getting into ownership in this industry no matter how hard he tries

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

lol i just noticed the thread title change

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

the NWA was actually a collective fever dream suffered by every wrestling fan and has never actually existed

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

The NWA title has literally not mattered for decades now. Taking the belt off a 50+ year old roid gut isn't a major demotion when there hasn't been a peak since maybe the 80s

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

The 90s were 2 decades ago!

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

i'm the buzzcut wearing jorts

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean I don't get the sense that the NWA is toxic in the way, say, TNA is. At worst it's just not very relevant, which means it's starting from the same base as every other indy promotion out there.

So it's just going to be a question of how much money Corgan can lose before he has to pull out.

It's this, yeah. the NWA brand isn't toxic, it's just irrelevant.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Y'all are giving the NWA a lot of credit here

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

put the strap on whoever this generation's David Arquette is

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

rip tim storm

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

oatgan posted:

czw is good

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

the idea that even a loving blood/deathmatch promotion views itself (rightfully) as above the current state of the NWA is goddamn beautiful and hilarious

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

remusclaw posted:

Yup. And your new World Heavywieght champion! The other guy in the British Invasion!

Edit: No not the roid freak, the other other guy.

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

coconono posted:

Aldis isn't enough of a draw to draw in a decent crowd.

literally nobody in whatever the NWA is right now is enough of a draw for a decent crowd

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

coconono posted:

My necromancer informs me that Lou Thesz is currently fighting his way out of hell to kick the poo poo out of Billy Corgan.

to be fair, it's not as if the NWA has meant poo poo for the last 30 years before Billy bought it

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

CROSSED THE LINE??????

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Didn't Norman Smiley happen upon a backyard fed in one of the recent mid-2000 nitros we watched

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/sta...004182792998912

lmao jesus

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

John Dudebro posted:

i wanted to do this and then i got carried away and basically made a botchamania ending so enjoy

https://streamable.com/au0ya

god drat, dude

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

It's probably less that people hate him and more that people are just tired of him.

Plus it's hard to revive the NWA when all that's left of it is a belt and 2 guys.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

keeping that trash can in the shot on the right is just so perfect

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

wrestling is real

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Explosions posted:

Y'all, watch how he stomps when he punches. That's where the noise comes from, not from the actual punch.

Please leave all conspiracy theory videos out of this very serious discussion, thank you.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

it is time for another amusing Billy Corgan story

https://twitter.com/Steven_Hyden/st...487055354396672

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Magnus isn't all that big a guy himself. How loving small is this Ellsworth guy?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Magnus is billed at 6'3 240 so he's a pretty big dude even if his stats are inflated.

While looking up that info I discovered that he is married to Mickie James, which I didn't know. Now I am all aboard the Magnus Train.

huh, well then. I remember him being smaller but he was in british invasion with Rob FREEEEEEEEEAK Terry for so long and everyone looked small next to him.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What is Doug Williams up to because he was way better than Magnus imho

Oh tons. He carried a LOT of matches.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

lmao god drat

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

SatansOnion posted:

Here I was wondering when George Liquor got into professional wrestling

and, y'know, out of the John K. cartoon

holy poo poo

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Crimson and Gunner were 2 different people. Or am I missing a joke here

E: holy hell Magnus is so loving wooden

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

wasnt Austin Idol a gay gimmick Austin Aries used briefly in TNA

Nah, Idol is like 70. He had a feud with Lawler back in... i think the AWA days

E: Aires was "Austin Starr" in 2006 in TNA. I don't recall him having a gay gimmick though.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 26, 2018

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

we are waaaaaaaaaay past the point where a legitimate #2 will ever be happening. The Monday Night Wars aren't coming back. TNA was the closest there's ever been and they weren't even a footnote to WWE. You can enjoy the bigger name indies but the days of WWE having any sort of competitor in pro wrestling are done and have been for over 15 years now.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

WWE has gotten too big to die, and wrestling has become too small in the mainstream to ever warrant another promotion on primetime TV on a relevant channel

Aphrodite posted:

A true #2 could only come from a huge investment and aggressive poaching of WWE names, and that'll never happen again.

It's both of these, yeah.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

someone hook billy corgan up with that guy who came in here years ago and refused to put up flyers

E: this guy https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...er=1&perpage=40

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 4, 2018

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: also the NWA title is probably the literal only aspect of the NWA that's still worth anything

It's really not. It frankly hasn't mattered in over 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I think he meant by the standards of the NWA itself.

Oh, yeah that's fair.