Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I don't know how Tharpe thinks Corgan is fresh to wrestling - how long ago was he running his own promotion in Chicago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm now realizing I can't recall ever seeing an image of Smiling Corgan

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It makes sense that the guy who tried and failed to buy TNA would try and fail to buy NWA next

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

What about that guy that won the lottery then proceeded to blow a huge chunk of it on a wrestlelady fed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestlicious That story might not be over yet

quote:

On June 12, 2016 it was reported that there is a Wrestlicious reality TV series in the works.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Oh poo poo there's even an updated site

https://www.wrestlicious.com

2017 copyright

Wrestlicious coming back!!!!!!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

PWInsider posted:

The United States Patent and Trademark Office partially suspended Bruce Tharpe's registration of the National Wrestling Alliance trademark (which was filed for back in March after it expired in December 2016) on 6/4 due to "a likelihood of confusion with a registered mark and under Trademark Act Sections 1 and 45 for failure to show the applied-for mark in use in commerce with any of the specified goods in Class 25. The applicant was also informed that the marks in two pending applications present a potential bar to registration under Section 2(d), if registered. In addition, applicant was required to provide an amended definite identification of goods, provide information relevant to examination under 37 C.F.R. §2.61(b), clarify the mark description, provide clarification regarding the claimed dates of first use, and provide clarification regarding the applicant’s claim of concurrent use."

It appears based on the ruling that the issue at play is related to merchandising of the NWA brand, specifically that the NWA name may come into conflict with other existing applications featuring a similar brand name and that Tharpe, in his application, did not show adequate proof that the brand was currently being used in commerce, i.e. was actually being sold.

PWInsider.com reported several weeks ago that the Billy Corgan purchase of the NWA brand was "in jeopardy" according to numerous sources but has learned that since then, the Corgan and Tharpe sides have continued discussions.

Whether this suspension of the NWA trademark has any bearing on the Corgan purchase plans remains to be seen.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't know what is funnier

That no one knows who owns the NWA

or that it may have be unclear for years and the NWA was so meaningless that no one noticed

Option C is nobody noticing until Smashing Pumpkins Guy decided he wanted to own a wrestling company and this was his second choice

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

sorry, 2nd biggest potential cable TV audience, if the antecedent wasn't clear

unless I missed ROH getting another national deal after the DA deal ended

Sinclair's growing significantly

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

hahahahahaha

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Phenix Rising posted:

Can you paste the details? I'm interested in them but want to avoid the 9,000 pop ups from PWInsider on my phone.

NWA On Demand streaming service shutting down (by-product of Corgan's buying Tharpe's interest in the Paul Boesch Houston territory library. Library ownership stays with the Boesch family but Corgan will have ability to control the library going forward)
All member promotions with licenses to use the NWA initials and branding under the company's Bruce Tharpe ownership end the day before. Going forward as of 10/1, the NWA will be whatever Corgan and Lagana lead it to be
Current champ Tim Storm appeared at last night's Championship Wrestling Hollywood taping and teased a feud with Nick Aldis (aka Magnus from TNA)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He's losing to Magnus within a month

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I believe it's just a taping. If it's a title change I expect everyone will hear about it by the end of the night

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/929882538956541952

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If it means there's going to be more 10 Pounds of Gold vids, I still care

Those videos are awesome

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Was Magnus the guy in the tna British stable who had the German suplex equivalent of the Canadian destroyer or was that someone else

I think that was Douglas Williams

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I can't tell if this is Peak Corgan or Peak Post-2000 NWA

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I unironically saw nothing wrong with just giving it to Jocephus

All of them are not good in-ring, but at least Jocephus can do promos

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

So how much more promotions do we have to give Corgan control of before we can say he's actually bad at this, because by my count we're now at three

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jocephus is cool
Magnus sucks
Tim Storm sucks

NWA's roster 66% sucks

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

my boy jocephus gonna win the title :unsmith:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Props to Corgan for digging deep in his pockets to fund the fourth roster member finally

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What is Doug Williams up to because he was way better than Magnus imho

Still does good work, mostly in London indies now including Progress

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ2qW4tMGQs

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cody winning the NWA title at All In would probably be a better moment if he was taking it off anybody who wasn't Magnus

That's why they should do the right thing for the NWA, the right thing for the title, and the right thing for Cody's plan to get 10,000 attendants, and have Magnus drop the belt to Jocephus so we can have the #bigmoney match of Cody/Jocephus. Watch the tickets sail into paying customer hands

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It was PJ "The Darewolf" Black

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jenkem Delivery posted:

The real question here is: How is Billy going to gently caress up this slam dunk opportunity?

Requests the Magnus/Cody match be a 60 minute iron man

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Confirmed
https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/997243071988420608

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Not sure what Cody and the Bucks are getting out of this.

Cody's getting the NWA title to close All In

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

In my defense; I have absolutely no idea who Cauvaro is.

The story of him and the other Bengals fans on the forum is they finally had a chance of seeing something relevant happen with their team ever (Get Playoff Win and do it vs division rival Steelers), the team literally blew it with two minutes left when their two star players wouldn't stop committing penalties, and it gifted the other team a winning FG

Thread was incredible as it happened and said Bengals fans basically lost their minds. One ranted about how he was actually glad they lost, another went down conspiracy theories about how everything was fixed because no way could that happen, a third I believe immediately switched fandoms to another team simply because it was literally lighter on his heart and blood pressure, and Cavauro went full andey and did comedy posts to cope. None ever recovered, that was literal years ago

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

oatgan posted:

its not the main event

It was the only confirmed match on the card before the card sold out. It's the main event regardless of its placing on the show. Magnus is a draw confirmed, this is the year of TNA validation

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The cowards are gonna chicken out on Main Event Magnus just to get Flip booked

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Glad Cody agreed with Corgan and realized Magnus deserves the All In main event, 10k people cheering right now in anticipation of the match of the year

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Please have a 3 way dance at All In with Aldis retaining.

Hell, make it a 6 way and add the Bucks and Kenny, have Aldis overcome all the odds

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Magnus is gonna retain and make Cody raise his hand to close the show

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

this is the year of TNA validation

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I always believed in the #MainEventPower of Magnus

10k fans in for a treat

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

All the doubling down of the "10 pounds of gold" phrasing was worth it for the BTE gag where Marty Scurll talked a lot of poo poo about how tough and strong juniors are too, Magnus agreed completely and did the honorable thing of letting Marty hold the NWA title, and Marty immediately nearly collapsed when the heavy thing was placed on his hands

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cody's first defense is against Willie Mack

https://twitter.com/nwa/status/1041464272339918848

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/nwa/status/1043152920647278593

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Oh poo poo I didn't know Jazz was still wrestling!

https://twitter.com/nwa/status/1046844672700702721

That's cool