Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

There's a bunch of TX promotions that are loyal to Tharpe. I'm not sure how this is going to play out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the NWA model only works if you have a touring group of proven draws under contact. Billy's gonna throw all his money on guys he likes that won't do poo poo for gates.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

EdsTeioh posted:

So, what WAS the deal with Colt vacating the NWA title?

This was pre-Tharpe. Colt and Pearce were doing a best of 7 with the title using NWA Hollywood's TV spot as the setting for the feud. Bob Trobich didn't like that and made lovely demands. Colt and Pearce both said gently caress it, so 2nd Hand Sheik ended up with the belt after putting down a cash deposit on it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bruce Tharpe devotees (Tharpees?), rejoice:

https://twitter.com/rbtharpe/status/859227764875907072

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Wasn't near enough heat to do a finish like that. Everyone looks like bumbling putzes now. Shoulda went to a straight fall.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the series ends with Ian Rotten plugging away at Billy's rear end in an abandoned walmart.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RealFoxy posted:

Tharpe is both a used cars salesman and a pro wrestling promotor, I don't know why Corgan thought he had an upper hand here.

e: Am I remembering wrong or were there used car commercials with Tharpe in them as his side job

Tharpe is an immigration lawyer and from what I've heard, extremely good at it.

Which just makes things even funnier.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

did he give any kind of justification for ending the licenses?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oatgan posted:

dave lagana did a 3hr interview on the last wrestlenomics radio about the nwa, branding, digital marketing etc... and basically said they want to start small and have a laser focus on exactly what nwa is/means and they get nothing out of having a bunch of satellite feds and it actively dilutes the kind of "brand building" they're after

if you can tolerate the language of ted talks and nu-media it's a solid interview. The 20 Year Plan is real

20 year plans don't put asses every 18 inches like those rinky dink NWA-licensed texas feds were doing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

wait, Lagana and Corgan? This is gonna be a hot garbage fire.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Tim Storm looks like he's lost the will to live

chronic constipation will do that to you.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Is that the ten lbs they're talking about??

I'd make a joke about Tim not wanting to pay for bagcheck but we all know these guys don't fly.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dave Lagana is a dumb idiot that thinks 30 spastic camera cuts is the height of cinematography.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Smart money would be to get the belt off him and onto someone with better chance of not dying of heart failure mid match. Magnus is not that person.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwnhA2pT5aY

I keep on watching these dumb things and I have no idea why.

1. Wrestling really is the playground of batshit millioniares. Billy bought the NWA rights because he's mad at Dixie. Like a neighbor with a motorcycle.

2. I'm oddly pumped to the see the title match? The juxtaposition of Harley Race and Butch Reed vs Aldis and Storm is gonna be a fight for the heavens.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'd pop for a Swagger vs Sami Callihan NWA title bout.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If its not a traveling title, the NWA belt is just another trophy for a promotion. Really hard to convince me that I should care about a thing that looks like the thing Harley Race used to carry.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah that's probably the best, have it be a sort of connective tissue in the Indy world rather than the boss of it

problem is convincing a core group of guys to let NWA offices handle all their bookings. Not a lot of indie dudes are into that unless the money's right. We're talking in the high 5 figures with travel+per diem.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I chuckled a bit when Tim Storm swore he never blew up during a match. Dude, you turn purple 3 minutes in.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Alaois posted:

Tim Storm vs BLK Jeez when

If we're gonna do a bunch of NWA title defenses against lower tier "name" guys, I wanna see Tim Donst or Tripp Cassidy before BLK Jeez.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I watched part of the match before my privacy blockers decided that Facebook is bad. I missed the gassy rollup sequence but Storm looked badly winded 10 minutes in.

1. commentary is loving atrocious. If they spent less time contextualizing the match itself and calling the action I would have given them a pass. CALL THE loving MATCH IN FRONT OF YOU
2. There was a chinlock spot that drove me insane. Aldis didn't secure his thumbs properly so Storm starts attacking them. Nothing happens. Storm should have been able to lever Aldis's hands free or broken a thumb in the process.

If i was booking this as a year long program, it'd be Tim Storm very barely getting victories over increasingly difficult opposition until he finally drops the belt. I'd put it on David Starr or Sami Callihan. Also I'd establish a very clear set of criteria to be considered for contendership. Stuff like wrestled internationally, defended a title outside of its home promotion, 10+ years experience, etc.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Niwrad posted:

I liked all the videos they did to promote the match but Tim Storm is really bad in the ring and they should have taken the belt off him the first chance they had. Magnus isn't great but they'd be much better off having him tour the country with that belt.

no, dropping the belt at this point would kill little credibility the NWA title has left. Get some promoted, hyped defenses with Tim Storm then drop to the next guy. The big challenge is getting eyes on the product and they're working towards that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

according to the NWA interviews, he only responds to his shoot name when he's teaching but cuts promos on the class. I don't think he's a very good teacher.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Niwrad posted:

NWA has no credibility since a 53-year old history teacher who wrestles bad matches is their champion.

He would wrestle better matches if he was booked with people that could actually work. I'm looking at his cagematch stuff and the big names he's worked are:

Charlie Haas(*fart noises*)
Angelus Layne (great brawler but not really someone who can carry someone bigger/heavier than her)
Big Daddy Yum Yum (phashahahahahaha)
Moose

No wonder he loving sucks.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel like you could get a pretty decent face run if you leaned into this honestly

Tim Storm can be like "yeah I am old, yeah I am a teacher to pay the bills, but this is still the same belt Ric Flair and Harley Race and Dusty Rhodes had, and if you think I don't deserve it come take it"

It feels a little like what they are doing, but being honest about Storm's weaknesses could do a lot to make him more appealing imho

just have him Homer Simpson his way through matches until people solidly split on whether its endearing or annoying. Then put the title on better drawing champ. Needs to be a huge deal. A flat title change does no one any favors.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ChrisBTY posted:

Alright. NWA has 10 pounds of gold and Tim Storm.
Do they have anything else that might be called an 'asset' or 'resource'?

Rob Conway. He has some love with the 3AM NJPW crowd. And by some I mean like 5 weirdos that thought it was kinda brilliant seeing him and Kojima work.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Nick Gage vs Tim Storm.

c'mon william s pumpkin, book that poo poo

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

give it to Sami Callihan, dammit.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

pretty sure Necro Butcher died and no one's found out yet.

All in on Nick Gage vs Tim Storm tho.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I hope Tim Storm refuses to wrestle Ethan Page because he looks like a Burger King manager.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Oh ok, so are they gonna show that on the NWA TV show and be like, "welp, cya Timmy?" Because if this is all to make Tim Storm look like the dumbest motherfucker in the world, its really cruel.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I hope Mickie puts shoes in his butt as a celebration. The whole thing, not just the heel.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I have completely unverified scoops:

Literally no one in the CZW locker room was willing to do a job to Tim Storm for free. They were offering bookings at NWA Hollywood but were lowballing people. The booking was supposed to be Storm retains on DQ via Aldis attacking Storm just as challenger is about to take the win.

Aldis title switch was an audible called by Lagana. Unknown if this had Billy's blessing or not. I do not know if Lagana was even in the building.

Tim was looking to get out of the belt anyway because he has cardio concerns esp when going in against much more physical wrestlers.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

why did NWA post a video of Austin Idol staring off into space.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I take great delight in watching rich people piss money down holes. I take even deeper delight that its Billy loving Corgan.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tim Storm vs Joey Janella had MOTY potential.

Swapping in Nick Aldis instead ruins it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I really liked the idea of a champ they'd have to bring in top tier talents to prop up and make him look like a good champ. They coulda down a whole slowburn heel turn thing.

Instead, they hotshot to Nick Aldis in front of a crowd that cheered because the match was brief.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

remusclaw posted:

Yup. And your new World Heavywieght champion! The other guy in the British Invasion!

Edit: No not the roid freak, the other other guy.

the not quite so roidy guy. No not that one either, the other guy.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Aldis isn't enough of a draw to draw in a decent crowd. He's not an EX-WWE guy so you can't even pull that "I saw him on the TEEVEE" crowd.

If I was blowing Billy's money and had to drop Tim Storm, Aldis would be my pick of last resort(and my sources indicate that is indeed the case). Hell, fedexing the title to a random wrestler on christmas day would have been a better pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jocephus sucks
Magnus sucks
Tim Storm is cool.

NWA's roster 66% sucks.