Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It'd be great if the NWA meant something again because it has the best looking world title of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Can you paste the details? I'm interested in them but want to avoid the 9,000 pop ups from PWInsider on my phone.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Tim Storm looked a lot better in that match than the last one I saw, which had some ridiculous level of interference and clusterfuck endings going on. Granted, it was like a 3-minute match but he seemed way more serviceable in those 3 minutes than I expected him to be.

Also, kinda surprised that he's the oldest guy to hold the title at 51. I guess I'm just falling into that "every wrestler in the 70s/80s *looks* to be at least 50" trap.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

RZApublican posted:

Tim Storm vs. EC3 in a roid pile on a pole match

No way Tim Storm makes it past Magnus, but then we get to see what happens when Magnus finally enters the Impact Zone!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I figured it was a foregone conclusion that Aldis would win, but there videos have done a good job of making me want to pull for Storm. It'd also just stink in general to have the guy who has been holding the title get swept away for the sake of attempting to create buzz with Aldis, but wouldn't surprise me.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

dsriggs posted:

It's Tim Storm. There's very few people in wrestling who would do less for business with a title than Magnus, but one of them is Tim Storm.

I just feel bad for the guy

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Magnus/Storm show is today, right? Is it something that will be streamed, or is it just a TV taping? Got nothing better to do on a Sunday.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

remusclaw posted:

All joking about Tim Storm aside, it would be nice to see a wrestling company go anywhere without being inundated with the usual suspects. Fuckin Jarrett, Bischoff, Russo, whatever, Wrestling promotion desperately needs new blood.

FUNB

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I've heard about Joey Janela for a while now but haven't seen him. What's his gimmick? What are some good starter promos/matches to get the gist of him?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I don't know this guy's deal but I'm 80% sure I just found a new favorite

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I like Josephus. I bet he's not very good, but that was a fun promo.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Explosions posted:

You guys got me real excited that John B McLemore The Wrestler won the NWA title, but reality just isn't beautiful enough for Champion Jocephus.

Not, "actually watch the match" level excited, but, you know. I googled it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got John B vibes. Like John B mixed with Travis McElroy.

I skimmed the match and it seemed very bad. No movement Tim Storm makes seems natural, and Jocephus essentially delivered the finish to himself.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

At least Willy Corgs has people interested in NWA Title matches at the moment. Can't believe I took the time to watch last night's match on Instagram of all places. Gonna be a fun little run to see all of the weirdos Storm retains against before dropping it to an actual name.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Venomous posted:

So how's he going to beat Elgin then?

Is that one actually happening? I know he was in the group of people tweeting out challenges but wasn't sure if it was confirmed at all.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Just turn Storm into a chickenshit heel when the challengers start getting too tough. Kick some dicks, get DQ'd, just go full-on desperate old man.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

So uhhhh what a start to the match. Storm gets knocked out by a real bad punch in 10 seconds yet the match goes on. I wanted to like Jocephus from that first promo but he's sure not great.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

coconono posted:

I hope Tim Storm refuses to wrestle Ethan Page because he looks like a Burger King manager.

Cage of Death, Manager vs Customer

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Welp, Aldis just won the title at the CZW show in quite possibly the most anti-climactic 6 minutes of wrestling I've ever seen* in my life.

*seen is being generous, as the live stream from the NWA was from about 8 rows back and everything was extremely pixelated.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I don't understand the point of having Hebner there at all. You would expect he's there to aid in a screw job because Montreal always needs rehashing, but the whole match was clean.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

grack posted:

Uh, it seems to be? It's on the official NWA Youtube channel, for whatever that's worth.

All of their live streams outside of the CWFH stuff have been shot from a phone and been terrible quality.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Maybe they just didn't want the title locked up in the coming Storm/Jocephus blood feud

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I mean, all things considered this was probably Storm's best match? He didn't have to move so much that he was gassed three minutes in and there was no actual wrestling which is an added bonus.

Also, Jocephus for champ please. Magnus is so boring.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I'm wondering if this is a ploy for Aldis to rack up defenses and look like a big time champ all while avoiding Jocephus? Line up a bunch of challengers who are geeks like Elllsworth or are small dudes who Aldis can throw around until Jocephus snaps or something and beats the piss out of him? Probably not, just trying to make some lemonade here.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Is the NWA doing anything during Wrestlemania weekend? Not that they'd be able to do much with a roster of three regulars, but are they leaching onto some other show to do a title match? It'd be very much in line with the rest of the run so far to just forget to plan anything for it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

coconono posted:

Aldis vs Starr happened and zero build on the NWA's end.

Aldis vs some comedy scrub gets a week build.

This company is backwards.

But like President Billy said, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN AT ANY TIME in this new digital age of the NWA. Better always have your phone on you for those NWA notifications!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rovert posted:

This is really boring and a turn off. Don't watch it:
https://twitter.com/nwa/status/969566590873284608

Eh, I feel like this wasn't so bad. It's at least an attempt at giving Aldis a personality and backstory, neither of which he's really had until now. He's still very boring and uncharasmatic but at least there's SOME effort there.

He's no Tim Storm.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

frankenfreak posted:

I'm incredibly amused by the t-shirt Tommy's wearing in the second video's thumbnail. Ripping off Bullet Club shirts is what everyone does, so it's not that but the word "soldier" because Bone Soldier sure is someone you want to emulate.

It's not even a good ripoff. Lowest possible effort involved in making that thing.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rovert posted:

The build was well done but did anyone watch the match last night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHI83wqzdVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ree7FIGxSK8

The whole show is up on HOH's Twitch account. Just watched this match and it wasn't terrible, just boring and very much by the numbers. Also, why is Austin Idol around? Is he a name literally anybody cares about? They couldn't find any other old wrestler to pair with Aldis?

On the plus side, HOH seems to have some of the better production/camera work of most indies so that's nice.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

Austin Idol was only one of the biggest stars in Memphis, one of the best promos of his day and one of the inspirations for Hulkamania. Why they are using him in 2018, I have no clue.

He's just someone I never grew up with so he doesn't hold a place for me. Where I grew up we didn't have TBS so I had zero TV exposure to NWA/WCW as a kid. His is a name I've always heard but never in the same conversation as, say, a Flair or a Funk. What was his story?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TTBF posted:

Is Austin Idol the guy who cashed a novelty check addressed to "the winner of the battle royal" and was able to do so because one of the bank tellers was there at the battle royal and was able to confirm he had won it?

I remember hearing that story and forgot it was Idol. I take back everything I said, make him the NWA Champion.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rovert posted:

A few of the people I talk to think Cody will win the NWA title at All In in tribute to his father (Dusty Rhodes).

Oh no poo poo, Dusty is Cody's father?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

They could do far worse things with the NWA Title, and Cody seems like the kind of guy who could have a lot of fun with it and get a lot of eyes on it. Why the hell not?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

We don't really need a true, national #2 like we had during the Monday Night War. For casual viewers, they've either checked out already or will watch WWE forever. For hardcores there are a million alternatives already that fit every type of wrestling anyone could want. It'd be fun to see a promotion like ROH or NJPW or even something new get major TV like WWE has, but the indie boom has made it so it's not a necessity (for now).

I could be watching a dozen other promotions if I really wanted to put in the effort or devote the time, but it's just such a saturated landscape for me that I don't even know who to pick. That's a pretty good problem to have.

Also, I love how Twitch has become a haven for indies. I've seen some fun shows on Twitch in the past year and it rules.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Wasn't the NWA Title a part of NJPW shows for a while? I feel like, if anything, that could get it to mean something to people. Just have a champion who is actually a good wrestler defend the title at big NJPW shows and make a big deal out of it. I guess that's a possibility if Cody winds up with the title.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Somehow he'll work Jocephus into this and we'll wind up with Jocephus and The Spiritual Advisor vs Cody and Brandi.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Young Bucks look like the highest loving dudes here

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Bucks vs Okada and Mysterio?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I made a dumb joke about Aldis on an NWA Instagram post and Aldis liked it, so now I like Nick Aldis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

He is really strong and really gay, at least. I can't remember the situation surrounding his coming out but I remember there being an article about it and it was all very feel-goody as he came to terms with being comfortable enough to come out.

He's not done anything spectacular in MLW just yet, but he's been at least solid and probably fun as a power guy in a 4-way match.