Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Alright I'm going to bore you with my opinions

- The election should have just been won or lost, the whole continuing story line was as exhausting as the real election.
- The writers seem to think we enjoy Frank being a puppet master, but having him appear to be on the back foot the whole time then randomly go no I meant to destroy my presidency is dumb. He could've avoided impeachment by starting a war
- As if Frank would randomly decide after a 30 year political career that the private sector is where he wants to be and his priority is to make money, it's ridiculous. He even gave that long speech saying he wants power not money in previous seasons.
- Instead of giving Claire a brain they just made her accidentally win power through Frank giving it to her, it makes her betrayal worth absolutely nothing.
- The deaths were dumb and cheap, especially Claire's strategist and the gay partner of Franks, also the hacker guy shouldve jumped down the stairwell hole to suicide in russia it wouldve made way more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I really hope next season is the last. I still enjoy this show for what it is, and with the Netflix model it's a fun weekend binge, but it really feels like they're at a point where they can have an awesome final season with how this one ended.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Speaking of the hacker guy, we already had one on the show. He passed from being a very good data analyst to super hollywood hacker.

The writers don't know what to do with their characters, but Claire she is a bore of a character,

Her arch from, season 2 onwards. Is the same, she acts like a pissed kid with his father.

Here comes Claire again rebelling against Francis, they patch things up but now she wants [insert new job, but now with more power], if not she escapes to [NYC lover, her mother's house].

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
This is an excellent recreation.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

gmq posted:

I don't know, it was awesome to watch him being taken down this season "I gently caress you because I hate you".

That seemed a little off too, though. I'd have to rewatch the scenes with them, because I forgot she was anything besides a random woman Doug was seeing until the scene you mention, but I don't remember feeling any of the tension you'd expect in that kind of relationship, like in his scenes with what's-her-name that he stalked and eventually killed. I just thought they were two random people dating.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished episode 5. Does the election plot ever end or is it the entire season? I was bored with it after the second episode, I don't know if I can watch one more episode of " Well Conway was about to win but now we're tied again".

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

So, again, I've watch S1 and S2 and Frank suddenly caring about money instead of power is a ridiculous contrivance. I mean, gently caress, season 2 is basically all about an adversary of Frank's (Tusk) who has loads of money and who Frank fucks over.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I just finished episode 5. Does the election plot ever end or is it the entire season? I was bored with it after the second episode, I don't know if I can watch one more episode of " Well Conway was about to win but now we're tied again".

You're almost at the end of it. I actually enjoyed, overall, the first half of the season more than the second.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Antti posted:

So, again, I've watch S1 and S2 and Frank suddenly caring about money instead of power is a ridiculous contrivance. I mean, gently caress, season 2 is basically all about an adversary of Frank's (Tusk) who has loads of money and who Frank fucks over.

loving hell

the whole "power is a building of stone" speech was brilliant in the characterization of frank, now that is one hell of a 180-degrees turn

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This season did not need Tom at all. He's so awful.

Frank's boyfriend is way better than Claire's boyfriend. Did the guy who played Adam have to leave the show or something, because they set him up far better than Tom and he was also actually entertaining.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
From my understanding, Frank doesn't want money itself, but he wants the freedom the private sector allows to be the "power behind the power" with Claire as President - simultaneously wielding influence as head of state with Claire and without governmental constraints with himself. Like how Tusk influenced Walker, except turned up to 11

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

aBagorn posted:

From my understanding, Frank doesn't want money itself, but he wants the freedom the private sector allows to be the "power behind the power" with Claire as President - simultaneously wielding influence as head of state with Claire and without governmental constraints with himself. Like how Tusk influenced Walker, except turned up to 11

Yeah, and I genuinely get that and didn't have a problem with this.

I guess it would have been nice if it had happened way earlier.

If I could recut the show, I'd leave seasons 1 and 2 alone, put 3 and 4 together as one 13-15 episode season, and cut that election poo poo down to maybe two episodes, get rid of many Tom scenes, and trim season 5 (which would now be season 4) down to about 6 episodes.

But I can't, so welp.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nothing in this season was as pointless or annoying as Jackie and Remy. God I hated those two and when they teamed up it was a perfect storm of terrible

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
This show has turned into complete rear end.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Am I supposed to know who this Ken guy Claire meets in New York is? Also am I supposed to know who this Tim guy who disappeared on a boat off-screen is?

I'm completely blanking on who these people are.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Martian Manfucker posted:

Am I supposed to know who this Ken guy Claire meets in New York is? Also am I supposed to know who this Tim guy who disappeared on a boat off-screen is?

Tim was the guy Frank was mackin' on when he went to his old school that time.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Martian Manfucker posted:

Tim was Frank's lover in college and the only other person in the world besides Claire he ever gave a poo poo about. He was mostly in that really good episode in S1 where Frank and college buddies get rip roaring drunk when he goes back to his college to give a speech.

Why he died on his way back to his home planet island this season is absolutely beyond me though. Maybe they're setting something up for next season?

aBagorn posted:

I can understand this, but the way it's presented is so lame and puppetmaster-y. "Oh, all that poo poo I've been dealing with to keep my head above water for 3 seasons? That was my plan all along! Why didn't I tell Claire or anyone else before now? Well because, uh..."

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hilario Baldness posted:

This show has turned into complete rear end.

It's a show you have to binge over a weekend because the minute you stop and think about things you realize it's pretty bad.

At this point it's like Homeland for me. Show that had a cool premise, well-acted, and good early run that just decided to jump off the rails into the absurd.

:lol: at the President putting the Secretary of State into a coma by shoving her down a couple stairs and the Vice President poisoning her lover during sex.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Niwrad posted:

:lol: at the President putting the Secretary of State into a coma by shoving her down a couple stairs and the Vice President poisoning her lover during sex.

Help the secretary has fallen!

Listerine Hangover
Aug 5, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Humbly requesting a close-up gif of Frank's face while he's frantically riding his exercise bike @ 05:15 of Chapter 62.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just got to the beginning of episode 12. What was that, like 3 feet? I'd rather they just go full fiction and call in Jason Bourne

Also this whole season I have no idea who the important older blonde lady is. I just go with it but I seriously don't know what her official job is and how she just appeared out of nowhere and is now a major player.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 3, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Niwrad posted:

It's a show you have to binge over a weekend because the minute you stop and think about things you realize it's pretty bad.

At this point it's like Homeland for me. Show that had a cool premise, well-acted, and good early run that just decided to jump off the rails into the absurd.

Scandal is the show that does this kind of political soap opera stuff right. HoC doesn't belong there and it's showing.

At least I get to be perpetually correct in that the UK original is superior.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Just finished the season, I'm done with the show unless I hear s6 was really great after the fact. I had already thought s4 was terrible but this was a whole new level of bad.

The Tom character was just boring and I ended up skipping through scenes with him. Shoulda left him in s4. Usher and Davis were poorly introduced plot-device wizards. Doug has always been the writers try-harding to make him seem like some intimidating bully. But he's a tiny twerp with power by proxy. I dunno, maybe he's best friends with one of the writers or something. Leann seemed underutilized I guess. Woah guys she was involved with aiden in the past. What an interesting backstory!

Francis pulling the strings to resign as some master plan is just bad fanfiction poo poo. Also did I miss the actual details of Conways heroism? I assume he wasn't actually but I don't recall them closing that part out.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just finished this last night. What a load of poo poo. The first few episodes were promising but then the rest of it was 💩.

I agree with everyone that Tom was a colossal waste of time. I also started skipping every single scene with him. I don't know what exactly it was but I think it's just that his actor is bad and slow at talking, everything he has to say is uninteresting, and a lot more that I just don't remember. His entire purpose seemed to be "main character's boyfriend" and if he was removed I feel like the story would be the same. Maybe that was the point, maybe the writers were playing 8th dimensional chess here and trying to ironically bring attention to the stereotypical "useless girlfriend" roles but I think that's giving them too much credit.

I also didn't like the two strategists they brought on board. I think the whole puppet master thing is interesting, but they really need to be careful about how they write those characters. If they give the puppet masters too much insight, like they clearly did here, then it makes us the audience feel 100% detached because it's obvious that there's no way they can lose. Every setback they encounter had me thinking "okay is this real, or is this planned, it's probably planned." I think the lady consultant character was the worse offender here because her smug attitude was just insufferable.

I think they should get one more final season because there's just no point in this anymore. The first season was great because we attached ourselves to Frank and were right there with him, watching him plan things and do things to get into power. Now we're just here for the ride, watching the story spin around and around. It's not as interesting.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

I just got to the beginning of episode 12. What was that, like 3 feet? I'd rather they just go full fiction and call in Jason Bourne

Also this whole season I have no idea who the important older blonde lady is. I just go with it but I seriously don't know what her official job is and how she just appeared out of nowhere and is now a major player.

Her and that campaign manager dude just showed up and are super important and know everyone now apparently. I love see Kevin Spacey chew scenery as much as the next guy but this show has just turned to poo poo and the pacing is just awful. Like they have focused on this election bullshit for three seasons and has scandal after scandal hit the Underwoods. I thought that they were going to work towards establishing a dictatorship and consolidating power by starting some bullshit wars.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Her and that campaign manager dude just showed up and are super important and know everyone now apparently. I love see Kevin Spacey chew scenery as much as the next guy but this show has just turned to poo poo and the pacing is just awful. Like they have focused on this election bullshit for three seasons and has scandal after scandal hit the Underwoods. I thought that they were going to work towards establishing a dictatorship and consolidating power by starting some bullshit wars.

That's what I thought too after seeing the preview where they aired the "2016, 2020, 2024, 2028, 2032" scene. I thought that the election would have been resolved in like an episode or two to put the underwoods into power, and then the rest of the season would show them slowly taking over the country and declaring martial law.

But no, we got like half the season focused on the election, after which the opponent just disappeared, and then the second half with Tom bullshit.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Boris Galerkin posted:

That's what I thought too after seeing the preview where they aired the "2016, 2020, 2024, 2028, 2032" scene.

How would 2032 happen without overriding term limits? Oh, I think Frank actually talked about that. He could do 16 and 20, Claire 24 and 28, but then what? Not like we'll ever find out, but with him resigning like right after he got elected could he STILL serve 2 more full terms?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The only good thing Tom ever did was show Frank The Stanley Parable (which was one of my favorite scenes in the whole show to be fair). I have no idea why they kept him around for 3 seasons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

The only good thing Tom ever did was show Frank The Stanley Parable (which was one of my favorite scenes in the whole show to be fair). I have no idea why they kept him around for 3 seasons.

I think I forgot that scene.

Apparently, every season has Frank involved with a video game, but my memory fails me.

S1 was Call of Duty: Insert Subtitle Here
S2 Monument Valley?
S3 Stanley Parable?
S4 was Agario
S5 Some driving game on his exercise bike.

Do I have that correct? I don't actually remember him playing Monument Valley, but someone mentioned it was one of the games.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Michael Corleone posted:

How would 2032 happen without overriding term limits? Oh, I think Frank actually talked about that. He could do 16 and 20, Claire 24 and 28, but then what? Not like we'll ever find out, but with him resigning like right after he got elected could he STILL serve 2 more full terms?

Probably get rid of the Twenty-second Amendment and do a FDR. I thought they would do that by creating chaos and argue for a strong leader but I have no idea what the gently caress is going on in this show any more. I don't understand at all either why anyone would want Claire as President either and how the democratic party isn't completely dead after having two presidents resigning in a row. The more I think about this show the stupider it gets, honestly the only show that I can think of that has become a caricature of itself in the same way is probably Dexter.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think I forgot that scene.

Apparently, every season has Frank involved with a video game, but my memory fails me.

S1 was Call of Duty: Insert Subtitle Here
S2 Monument Valley?
S3 Stanley Parable?
S4 was Agario
S5 Some driving game on his exercise bike.

Do I have that correct? I don't actually remember him playing Monument Valley, but someone mentioned it was one of the games.

Monument Valley was also season 3, Tom introduced it to him as well. I don't remember if Season 2 featured a particular game beyond Frank discovering that he could no longer play CoD online once he became VP.

Here's the Stanley Parable scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWUNxcvZCpg

It always stuck with me because Frank not "getting" SP due to the fact that it doesn't follow normal narrative or gameplay conventions was just so perfect. He likes video games because they let him feel powerful and in control. A game that deliberately antagonizes the player and doesn't have normal goals or objectives is completely baffling to him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Probably get rid of the Twenty-second Amendment and do a FDR. I thought they would do that by creating chaos and argue for a strong leader but I have no idea what the gently caress is going on in this show any more. I don't understand at all either why anyone would want Claire as President either and how the democratic party isn't completely dead after having two presidents resigning in a row. The more I think about this show the stupider it gets, honestly the only show that I can think of that has become a caricature of itself in the same way is probably Dexter.

Sons Of Anarchy.

I'll give you that HoC has been doing stupid stuff, but I don't think it's Lumberjack Dexter or JESUS Sons Of Anarchy stupid.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Finally through the season and hell what a rollercoaster that was. Let's make some massive black boxes here.

I'm actually glad it ended that way, because Francis' presidency was always going to be crapped at, like he already realized a few episodes back, saying that he will always wear a target on his back. Makes the whole show title quite adequate, too.
Going over the entire show and all seasons, it feels like they just pushed too hard for power. You can become president but you kinda can't go around all of your history and still remain in power, so the new private approach might actually help to wreak some havoc, show some power behind the power and then end the show by killing literally everyone and Francis suffocating Claire to death or loving her one last time just to kill her that way, who knows.
If Francis would simply have stopped in Season 2, after being Vice-President and (just how Linda once suggested) wait for his term and become president legally in 2016 or 2020, he would actually have been a great president that would have been able to accomplish anything else than going from crises after crisis.

Also, the amount of killing in this season is fascinating. Francis killed two people before in season 1 and 2, although that Zoey thing kinda happened as an echo from season 1 either way, so it hardly counts for 2. Now they go on a killing spree, get rid of everyone who fucks (with) them and leaving trails to it everywhere.

I feel the show went from the conquerer Francis Underwood with helper Claire in season 1 and 2, to the POTUS Francis Underwood in 3 which ended up boring, so they went over to conquering-president Francis Underwood with also-conquering Claire and now to God-King Francis Underwood that saw everything coming and planned ahead for years just to submit to new God-King Claire.
I'm afraid not only Francis is willing to do anything to stay in power, but also the author is willing to do anything to appear exciting and thrilling with his stories.
Fun to watch if you ask me, but I get why people get increasingly disappointed with it.

I will pray to my god and master President Claire Underwood that the next season will be an exciting mess that ends this ride with some dignity.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

They're going to pull a Putin / Medvedev. Except it's FUnderwood / CUnderwood.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Michael Corleone posted:

That's the point. It's not possible under the current laws, but when he said 2032 it was suppose to be an "oh poo poo, he/they want to be king" moment. This doesn't work so well if he resigns.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Binged the whole thing. I actually started watching the entirety of House of Cards from the very start only a month ago so the whole plot is fresh in my mind.
I'm glad the Yates thing is done, he was just so boring and one-dimensional. Same for Conway - that should have wrapped up at the end of S4, we didn't need the PTSD angle.
I didn't like that S5 had so many deus ex machinas. Crazy cat lady and Steve Jobs.
Kevin Spacey as always carried the show despite the decreasing writing quality.
Not enough Lars Mikkelsen.
Please let's not have any more marital drama in S6, I didn't like it the first time around.
I really like the Hammerschmidt arc. It feels like something slowly building up over the seasons, an inexorable wave moving so slowly that the Underwoods won't notice until it's too late.
Watched it on my new fiber optic connection and 4k TV - the picture quality is incredible and great for my first 4K experience. Consider me a convert.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Nothing in this season was shocking in any meaningful way.

The first few episodes were good and I even didn't mind some stuff towards the end (both of Agnieszka Holland's episodes were well done). But it was a definite chore through most of the middle surge.

I liked Mark Usher and Patricia Clarkson's character but a lot of what they were able to do seemed too easy as a plot device.

I wonder if David Fincher watches this show.

First time I've not been sure I'll bother watching the next season.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Jeoh posted:

They're going to pull a Putin / Medvedev. Except it's FUnderwood / CUnderwood.

The 22nd ammendment still has to go for that to happen, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution . In both of them can just be elected one more time so they can only do 2020 and 2024. While if Frank had stayed in power they could have done 2020,2024, and 2028. Which means to get 2032 and 2036 they would have to change the constitution, which I thought this season would be about after seeing the trailer for it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I just remembered a scene with that Davis wizard lady where I think she was taking to Claire and she randomly says something about her dad wearing striped socks and then goes back to whatever they were talking about. Hah wth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

phosdex posted:

I just remembered a scene with that Davis wizard lady where I think she was taking to Claire and she randomly says something about her dad wearing striped socks and then goes back to whatever they were talking about. Hah wth.

That was actually a bright spot that reminded me of some of the wit in the writing in Season 1 and 2. The writing in this season is so clinical otherwise.

She was making fun of Tom Yates.

• Locked thread