Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I watched to the end of S2 but then the scuttlebutt on S3 was so poor I dropped it. Should I skim S3 or read a synopsis or something and start back at S4? Or was S3 good after all?

Also add me under "2016 killed political fiction for me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

So, again, I've watch S1 and S2 and Frank suddenly caring about money instead of power is a ridiculous contrivance. I mean, gently caress, season 2 is basically all about an adversary of Frank's (Tusk) who has loads of money and who Frank fucks over.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Niwrad posted:

It's a show you have to binge over a weekend because the minute you stop and think about things you realize it's pretty bad.

At this point it's like Homeland for me. Show that had a cool premise, well-acted, and good early run that just decided to jump off the rails into the absurd.

:lol: at the President putting the Secretary of State into a coma by shoving her down a couple stairs and the Vice President poisoning her lover during sex.

Scandal is the show that does this kind of political soap opera stuff right. HoC doesn't belong there and it's showing.

At least I get to be perpetually correct in that the UK original is superior.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

DaveKap posted:

It's 3 series, 4 1-hour episodes each. Condensed and good.

It's really good and even though by the third series it was flagging a bit it had a good ending too.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

King of Foolians posted:

One thing I think is also missing in the American version that the BBC did well was seeing how murdering Mattie (the BBC's Zoe-Charcter) messed with Francis mentally. Frank has pretty much zero remorse or guilt for her death and at this point adding it in would feel like it's shoehorned in. I thought they were going to start going in that direction when Frank was in the hospital after getting shot but nope.
My worry is that this show will keep going on season after season far past when it should end (it's pretty much there already). The whole point of House of Cards is that the ruthless drive for power is unsustainable and eventually it all comes crashing down.

I don't know. (UK version) Urquhart ruled with an iron fist for something crazy like twelve years (his life ambition was to rule longer than Thatcher), he removed a King and replaced him with a puppet child, and he died a martyr/hero to an assassin's bullet. He's the defining man of British post-war history, the greatest Briton since Churchill. I'd say Urquhart got almost everything he wanted.

• Locked thread