Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

"The American people don't know what's best for them.... I do."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW8Zyt8SF_U

House of Cards is a quaint American political drama about an unrepentantly evil politician who tries to win the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election by playing on people's fears and promising a war against radical terrorism. It is a Netflix adaptation of a BBC miniseries of the same name.

Last season, Frank Underwood (Kevin Spacey) somehow convinced the Democratic Party to nominate him and his wife Claire (Robin Wright), despite the former being a KKK-tied Southerner who tried to abolish all welfare and the latter almost causing multiple international incidents. Frank is opposed in this effort by a slightly more competent Marco Rubio (Joel Kinnaman) and Washington Post reporter Tom Hammerschmidt (Boris McGiver). Occasionally, Frank and Claire murder people and/or monologue about power. When he isn't aiding Frank, White House Chief of Staff Doug Stamper (Michael Kelly) goes around killing terminally ill patients and dating their widows.

The new season premieres 30 May 2017.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Anonymous John posted:

I'm assuming this isn't the final season, right? Because it seems like this show could be wrapped up satisfactorily in 1-2 seasons.

I haven't seen anything along those lines but I am not sure how much more gas is in the tank. Devoid of the Underwoods declaring martial law and disbanding Congress, Frank has more or less reached the peak of his power. I also don't know how much longer they can tease the revelation of Frank's various scandals.

tbqh, I expect this season to end with Frank narrowly winning the Electoral College while losing the popular vote and the next season to be about his long-awaited unraveling, possibly orchestrated by Claire.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

khwarezm posted:

it seems as though they're going with Conway as the Republican nominee, was half wondering if they were going to try and work some kind of Trump character into the setting.

I think Frank is the closest thing the show will have to a Trump character. Going to be interested in seeing how the writers handle his fight against not!ISIS next season.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The Administration reminds you that if you see something, say something.

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/864507449033736192

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

What time do new Netflix seasons usually go up?

Based on previous seasons, the new season will launch a little after midnight PST.

LividLiquid posted:

I hard the showrunner wanted to do 52 episodes. Same as a deck of cards. But that Netflix wants to keep it going. Anybody know anything more about that?

Unless I am mistaken, the end of the last season marked 52 episodes.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

just finished episode 4 and, if you are able to ignore all concerns about plausibility and just accept the show as an opportunity for kevin spacey to chew scenery, it's alright. the cyberattack plotline is like something out of the fourth die hard movie.

also, i am pretty sure that frank has throat cancer.

Le Saboteur posted:

So can the president of the United States show up at the House of congress and just go off without serious repercussions?

It would be an extreme breach of the House rules, but Frank's goal was to show that he didn't care about the House rules. He wanted a scene and was willing to let himself be dragged out by the Sergeant-at-Arms in a weird reversal of the trick he played a few seasons back.

((also, house of cards has always been more concerned with theatrics than anything.))

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Can I get a link to the House of Cards S4 thread? I realized I still need to finish the last two episodes, and I really enjoy reading discussion after each episode

I don't think there was a Season 4 thread, but there's some discussion here.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Le Saboteur posted:

I think I only really watch this show to see Robin Wrights wardrobe. But hey it's a living.

She does have a drat fine wardrobe.

EDIT: On Episode 5 and, based on how he's currently acting, I am pretty sure this season ends with Conway having a mental breakdown or dying due to stress.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 31, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

the bohemian grove episode is one of the most baffling things i have seen on television recently

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 2, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Why is the race between a popular, handsome, war hero, Republican governor of New York and Frank even close? Wasn't he already massively unpopular last season? All Conway has to do is take New York, his home state, and the race is over. None of this makes any sense.

According to the show, the Underwoods' terror campaign and militarized "voting centers" dropped turnout so low that nobody but diehard voters turned out. I don't know if this justifies the victory of an unelected, openly corrupt and nepotistic president with no legislative accomplishments, but that's the justification.

Was Conway's shadowy adviser in any of the previous seasons? I am skimming through old summaries of past seasons but I don't remember him.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i would be more forgiving of the show's tenuous grasp of real-world politics if it didn't take itself so seriously.

also, i hate how every show about washington dc has to try to one-up its competition by throwing out increasingly outlandish election outcomes. every show, from scandal to veep, has become obsessed with constitutional loopholes, assassinations, electoral ties, and rigged counts.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ultramiraculous posted:

I feel like the show this season was good overall, but still hit the "this was written for a different 2017" pitfall when Frank pulled the "you'll be the president, and I'll rule the private sector" plan.

If you know Clinton "dynasty" conspiracy theories it seems like it works better than whatever is happening now.

I think Frank and Claire have always been written as the Clintons if every conspiracy theory and piece of gossip about them was true, but, yeah, this season felt like it was written for a different administration.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

PostNouveau posted:

I swear there was a moment in the early seasons where Frank had a real fiery rant about how the real power was in government, not the private sector. Maybe during the teachers' union stuff?

Do you mean?

quote:

Francis Underwood: Such a waste of talent. He chose money over power. In this town, a mistake nearly everyone makes. Money is the McMansion in Sarasota that starts falling apart after 10 years. Power is the old stone building that stands for centuries. I cannot respect someone who doesn't see the difference.

It is from Episode 2 after Remy tries to convince Frank to join him in the private sector.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

This thread title really needs a change, the show had absolutely nothing to do with the real election

House of Cards Season 5: "That Doesn't Make Any Sense, Francis"

House of Cards Season 5: "I Like Dirt and Rocks"

• Locked thread