Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Anonymous John posted:

I'm assuming this isn't the final season, right? Because it seems like this show could be wrapped up satisfactorily in 1-2 seasons.

I believe to remember that Michael Kelly said just before season 4 came out, that they planned to do six seasons. However who knows what Netflix will do to the show after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I can't believe how strong this seasons started already. The first scene with Frank in the first episode gave me chills.

Going in further, it feels like we still have a psychic sociopathic murderer as POTUS, only that in this case he actually chooses to be that way and acts intelligently, in contrast to the reality.
Also, amazing what Donald Blythe turned into after being president for two weeks.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I'd think that the compelling part of this show is not really the institutional height that Francis or Claire reach, but rather the game itself and how they play around.
Francis becoming Vice President after being Whip is a great step, becoming president after all that happened in season 2 even more, but that's more or less just the result, not the trip that they had reaching it.

That's why I honestly do not think season 3 was bad because there was no more stuff to achieve for them and that it's mainly fighting off scandals and staying in power (which, of course, is the main focus of anyone sitting on the top of the pyramide), but that it focused on completely uninteresting, boring and even annoying storylines. That Doug-Rachel thing, what the gently caress. The meltdown of Doug in general and the focus on him despite him being barely more than a minion in the two seasons before.
That plus some really mediocre storytelling and weird focus on random sex stories that didn't have any real impact on anything made season 3 less enjoyable.

They got rid of that in season 4 (mostly, at least) and came back to Francis as the conquerer and emperor along with his wife that increasingly becomes a factor and tries to be Francis to some extend - as that's what their "partnership" is about anyways.
Season 5 continued on that branch and sticked some major events and actual action to it to increase excitement and on that end, I think it worked just fine and was a very good season.

However, given that this is now the third season where the main business is not reaching new achievements, but rather sticking on what you achieved already, I do agree that there is an increasing need for more and some new stuff happening. Watching the same game with more or less the same circumstances, no matter how shadow-y, despicably and immorally it might be, becomes boring when you get used to it.

I hope they find a solid conclusion to the show and don't go the milking money way with a show that deserves a proper ending and hopefully that happens before most of the viewers think of it as some sort of politicial "monster of the week" session - because that's what I fear it may become when they stick to this rhythm for too long.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

GobiasIndustries posted:

Re: Conway (episode 3) during the marathon Q&A session the guy he rescued made it sound like there were other soldiers they left behind, since he kept saying 'you heard it, I know you heard it', or am I reading into that too much?

That's what I understood from it, yes.
That also is precisely the reason he refuses to talk about it and didn't even mention it once in public despite him having a purple heart for that. He obviously has massive problems talking about it and kinda broke down after it being brought up again.

Also "yadayada this show sucks now because he's president and it's boring and bad and not good also rip season 2" is a pretty common rational and well-thought critic that I am glad to read here often.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Finally through the season and hell what a rollercoaster that was. Let's make some massive black boxes here.

I'm actually glad it ended that way, because Francis' presidency was always going to be crapped at, like he already realized a few episodes back, saying that he will always wear a target on his back. Makes the whole show title quite adequate, too.
Going over the entire show and all seasons, it feels like they just pushed too hard for power. You can become president but you kinda can't go around all of your history and still remain in power, so the new private approach might actually help to wreak some havoc, show some power behind the power and then end the show by killing literally everyone and Francis suffocating Claire to death or loving her one last time just to kill her that way, who knows.
If Francis would simply have stopped in Season 2, after being Vice-President and (just how Linda once suggested) wait for his term and become president legally in 2016 or 2020, he would actually have been a great president that would have been able to accomplish anything else than going from crises after crisis.

Also, the amount of killing in this season is fascinating. Francis killed two people before in season 1 and 2, although that Zoey thing kinda happened as an echo from season 1 either way, so it hardly counts for 2. Now they go on a killing spree, get rid of everyone who fucks (with) them and leaving trails to it everywhere.

I feel the show went from the conquerer Francis Underwood with helper Claire in season 1 and 2, to the POTUS Francis Underwood in 3 which ended up boring, so they went over to conquering-president Francis Underwood with also-conquering Claire and now to God-King Francis Underwood that saw everything coming and planned ahead for years just to submit to new God-King Claire.
I'm afraid not only Francis is willing to do anything to stay in power, but also the author is willing to do anything to appear exciting and thrilling with his stories.
Fun to watch if you ask me, but I get why people get increasingly disappointed with it.

I will pray to my god and master President Claire Underwood that the next season will be an exciting mess that ends this ride with some dignity.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

precision posted:

I mean the POTUS is having gay sex in a stairwell, the VP is the WIFE of the POTUS, and she has a live-in side-piece. It's total fantasy.

Watching the real news nowadays does not entirely imply the fantasy part though, despite negative news covfefe.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

drunken officeparty posted:

I just finished. The last episode was the worst. Every resolution to anything was terrible.

And I still have no loving idea where Jane came from or what her job is supposed to be. She literally apparated out of thin air and became secretary of state but not really

She had a meeting with the president earlier, then the military thing happened and they stayed in the same room for a while. Underwoods started to doubt her intentions and two episodes later she is the all mighty illuminati-level involved business-political person that can take care of literally everything.

As such, a female version of Usher, only for foreign stuff.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Just like Usher, she is a super important character that's moving massive plotlines without having any background, history or being mentioned before at any given time. They both randomely appeared when it was necessary and none of them have any kind of character development or profile at all, it's just that they are apparently perfect at what they do.

I really don't think there is anything to understand here, I hate them both and I hope they are gone or most likely dead soon. They don't make real sense, but at least Usher had some sort of introduction with the Conways.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

If a show is too good to be true, it just needs to go on for long enough to be too good to be true.

It's just like gambling where you have to stop when you're ahead, only that in this case the real winner here is Netflix and we can't control when to stop.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Quite certain it went like "gently caress we only have one day left to film with Jayne Atkinson and the Durant plotline would still break the entire plot. What takes one day to film and solves everything without killing the character?"

The real villain in this show are those stairs.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

The worst part of this season was that Freddy was not in it.

Glad he wasn't, next time he appears on screen Doug loving tries to poison him, too or Francis talking to a TV saying that he will murder him anyways. Given that we are now on the murder is completely normal and ok for a POTUS and First Lady rail either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

He could have simply not piss off Romero out of pride, do some deal with him like he's been doing since season 1 regardless of any ego, law or moral questions and not have the commitee - that by the way does not do what it's meant to be (starting the war on ISIS) which for some reason no one cares about - restarted.
Afterwards he'd even be in the position to antagonize Walker for personality boost without a problem, or simply resign in general. With a new president and an invasion of Syria going on, most people would probably not have cared anymore about him and when Romero was kept in line - for example with that dirty secret of his in the end - the investigation could have been halted.

If all else failed at that point, Claire could pardon him before anything major comes up, thus not do the Nixon legacy all over again and go nuts in the private sector.

If this crap worked for a weak mind with no real political capital like Walker, why not for them?
It seems like Francis made this needlessly painful just to prove that "you can control the way you come down".

• Locked thread