Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm pretty sure Amazon could absolutely do something about fraudulently obtained Amazon gift cards if they weren't directly profiting off them (and also if they gave a gently caress)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
I don't know, seems like what you do with gift cards after you buy them isn't really Amazon's concern, even if what you do is really stupid.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

I'm pretty sure Amazon could absolutely do something about fraudulently obtained Amazon gift cards if they weren't directly profiting off them (and also if they gave a gently caress)

"We even received what we thought were order confirmations from Amazon but when we called amazon to confirm all this they had no record" makes me think they didn't actually buy Amazon gift cards.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

"We even received what we thought were order confirmations from Amazon but when we called amazon to confirm all this they had no record" makes me think they didn't actually buy Amazon gift cards.

Yeah that part seemed extra weird, like the whole point of buying Amazon giftcards is to kinda-sorta launder money, why would you fake buying them

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah that part seemed extra weird, like the whole point of buying Amazon giftcards is to kinda-sorta launder money, why would you fake buying them

To get their credit card number/CVV when they enter it on the phishing site?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Inept posted:

Keep in mind these mystery boxes cost $30:

The best part is when the backlash started and used DVDs started showing up in the boxes, because the owner was clearly just grabbing poo poo off his living room floor.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The best part is when the backlash started and used DVDs started showing up in the boxes, because the owner was clearly just grabbing poo poo off his living room floor.

No the best part was this in their FAQ:

quote:

What if don’t like what comes in my box?

a. If for some reason you are not happy with your box, feel free to order another. Each box has different items that are randomly selected. We do not offer any type of exchange or returns due to the nature of this being a mystery.

If you think your box is crappy, order another :downs:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I was at the Chicago Comics and Entertainment Expo (C2E2) a couple of weekends ago, and there were multiple booths set up with nothing but wall-to-wall "loot" boxes. I'm sure some people enjoy the surprise of finding out what random assortment of tchotchkes they had purchased the rights to, but the idea of paying $30 for $15 (or less) worth of stuff seems inherently stupid.

And yet, I cannot believe how loving excited people get over it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
At least $15 worth of tacky crap in every box, guaranteed!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I know you can order boxes with meal assembly ingredients in them, but how lovely would it be to order from a service that just gave you a random assortment of food?

"My box came with a jar of minced garlic, seven tangerines, an unlabeled can, a single chicken thigh, and three thawed freezepops."

This is my original idea please do not steal. There's somebody that would actually buy this.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

A lot of those boxes were barely $5, much less $10 or $15. I that guy had primed the pump by actually sending out decent stuff at first, he probably could have cleaned up pretty well on the second wave of repeat/recommendation buyers.

A lot of people are totally fine with paying for the anticipation or possibility of getting something great, but likely getting nothing worthwhile. That's basically the entire premise of a lottery, after all, it's just that the mystery boxes cost a lot more and the baseline is somewhat higher than nothing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

I was at the Chicago Comics and Entertainment Expo (C2E2) a couple of weekends ago, and there were multiple booths set up with nothing but wall-to-wall "loot" boxes. I'm sure some people enjoy the surprise of finding out what random assortment of tchotchkes they had purchased the rights to, but the idea of paying $30 for $15 (or less) worth of stuff seems inherently stupid.

It's not about the things, it's about making unboxing videos to show off your box opening skills to a bunch of giddy tweens online

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017

Hoodwinker posted:

I know you can order boxes with meal assembly ingredients in them, but how lovely would it be to order from a service that just gave you a random assortment of food?

"My box came with a jar of minced garlic, seven tangerines, an unlabeled can, a single chicken thigh, and three thawed freezepops."

This is my original idea please do not steal. There's somebody that would actually buy this.

I just realized there is no $400 device for squeezing your freezepops up, unless you use your hands like a pleb.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ashcans posted:

A lot of those boxes were barely $5, much less $10 or $15. I that guy had primed the pump by actually sending out decent stuff at first, he probably could have cleaned up pretty well on the second wave of repeat/recommendation buyers.

A lot of people are totally fine with paying for the anticipation or possibility of getting something great, but likely getting nothing worthwhile. That's basically the entire premise of a lottery, after all, it's just that the mystery boxes cost a lot more and the baseline is somewhat higher than nothing.

Also collectible card games like Magic.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hoodwinker posted:

That's pretty much the concept behind goon-favorite Graze, which is like 12 bucks for an airline-sized snack sampler.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ashcans posted:

The alarms should have gone off when he listed a $30K+ boat as a possible prize. Even if that was the only big prize - ignoring claims of prizes like vacations, a motorcycle, iPad, etc. - you should be able to sit down and figure out that there's no way they are selling enough boxes of crap to be able to buy a boat to give away, and I don't think prize insurance covers stuff like this.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, there were plenty of flags in the initial posting, and a few people that actually noticed and tried to call it out without any luck.

Please forgive me if this is not entirely on topic, but seeing as we visited the snake house in the previous thread I thought you guys would like to know there is a sequel in Minnesota

quote:

“I brought my first sort of box here to my bedroom and I found a snake,” Whitley said.

“One quickly turned into 3,4,5. Today is 6 months later and I’m about 95 snakes that I’ve found inside my house,” Whitley said.
That’s 95 inside and a few hundred more outside.

“In the snake world, this is up there,” Anderson said.

She has spent $13,000 trying to get rid of them (it hasn't worked), but I am not sure this is exactly BWM, because I am not sure you really have another option besides just laying down in a nest of snakes and accepting your fate.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Hoodwinker posted:

People that buy them must not understand video games. You go to vendors for trade and you know what you're trading for, money leaves your coin purse for goods. When you 'loot', you have either just slain something and are picking over it's carcass, or you've stumbled upon unattended booty, which you take. At no point during the 'looting' process does money leave your pocket. loving casuals. They deserve to be looted.

Aha! I get it! The vendor is looting schmucks. Got it.

e: /\ /\ /\ I hope she likes Mongeese (Mongoosen?)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Maybe she shouldn't have moved to "the snake world" if she didn't like snakes :colbert:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BloodBag posted:

People that buy them must not understand video games. You go to vendors for trade and you know what you're trading for, money leaves your coin purse for goods. When you 'loot', you have either just slain something and are picking over it's carcass, or you've stumbled upon unattended booty, which you take. At no point during the 'looting' process does money leave your pocket. loving casuals. They deserve to be looted.

Aha! I get it! The vendor is looting schmucks. Got it.

e: /\ /\ /\ I hope she likes Mongeese (Mongoosen?)
I think it's supposed to be more analogous to loot boxes in Overwatch, where you either buy them directly with money or earn them through playing the game, except without the "Playing the game" part. That's the part of the business model they're missing out on, forcing people to perform menial tasks in exchange for $2 anime toys.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Aww, they're friendly little garter snakes.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

She should start a business called "Snake Box" and sell snake boxes and the only thing in the boxes is snakes.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Hoodwinker posted:

She should start a business called "Snake Box" and sell snake boxes and the only thing in the boxes is snakes.

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT I EXPECTED, BUT IT WASSSSSSSSSSN'T THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Hoodwinker posted:

I was going to suggest a box for the official animal of the BWM thread but http://www.ahorsebox.com/

Fake edit: oh so many horse boxes https://boxes.hellosubscription.com/subscriptions/equestrian-subscription-boxes/

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Hoodwinker posted:

You just need Chopped branding for this.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tomie knows me posted:

Yeah. He just described a cooking show. Now put all those ingredients into the ice cream machine.

My kid gets a monthly "loot" box, but it's makeup so there's an actual business model where the company gets product below cost as a form of advertising. And even that is probably not sustainable in the long run.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

best part:

quote:

Wunderlich rents his apartment. He leases his car. He owns his horse. He’s drawn to the rugged individualism expressed in the novels of Ayn Rand and the blog Cowboy Ethics, but he hastens to argue that while he profits off high-cost lending, he’s also improving the lives of subprime borrowers. He is, he writes in a mission statement on his personal website, “living in a Postmodern culture while maintaining my old American West roots and Christian values.”

usury, an excellent christian value

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

BraveUlysses posted:

best part:

Don't blame that guy, blame John Calvin.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Tomie knows me posted:

it's a "deconstructed soup", ok!?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

Don't blame that guy, blame John Calvin.

Well I mean, "drawn to the rugged individualism expressed in the novels of Ayn Rand"

I'm blaming this man with everything.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hoodwinker posted:

How do food safety guidelines apply over state lines? This sounds like you could make / spend a decent amount of money before the lawsuits hit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

How do food safety guidelines apply over state lines? This sounds like you could make / spend a decent amount of money before the lawsuits hit.

I'd think the FDA would probably have something to say about it

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BraveUlysses posted:

best part:

How is being beholden to so many different people from whom you rent your entire lifestyle even remotely considered 'rugged individualism'? Last I checked, that meant not owning a lot, but what you have is yours and you know how to fix or care for it. I'm not arguing with you, but with the dolt they wrote about.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm gonna run away and join the circus become a ski bum

https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/68v9zj/just_resigned_help_with_some_obvious_rookie/ posted:

Just resigned, help with some obvious rookie mistakes? (self.financialindependence)

Hi all, I just resigned from my office job that was a major contributing factor to my clinical depression and in taking the advice of the stickied post, I'm working to build the life I want.

However, I know for a fact that I'm making some obvious errors with how I have my finances structured to help sustain my journey for as long as possible while I build up my income streams.

I've saved nearly all of my EoY bonus (~$20k) in cash and I have some investment accounts and IRAs not fully invested (50/50 stocks and cash because I wanted to be able to speculate a little when I was freed from employment restrictions on stock ownership). I also have ~50k in my 401k that I'm not sure if I should take more direct control of.

Because I'm income free for now, I'm concerned about putting that cash to work immediately when I don't know how long I'm going to need to sustain myself on it, and I consider myself fairly concerned with a sharp market correction in the time I might need to get set up. Should I be looking into getting an LLC of some form for all future income for tax purposes?

My rent is currently ~$600/mo through the end of July and after that I may move home but will eventually be looking to live in/near a west coast ski mountain to pursue a ski-bum esque lifestyle. Should I be planning to rent or looking to get property near one of those mountains?

As of right now my insurance is going to be through my COBRA benefits, but should I be looking into Medicare or ACA (I'm 24 so I could ask to be shifted back to my parents insurance for a little while)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Oh boy, going from a job that pays $20k annual bonuses and has let him get $50k into a 401k by age 24 to ski bumming it! I've sitll never had a job that does 401k match, I have no idea how people get that much in when you're only allowed to put $18k/year in.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Oh boy, going from a job that pays $20k annual bonuses and has let him get $50k into a 401k by age 24 to ski bumming it! I've sitll never had a job that does 401k match, I have no idea how people get that much in when you're only allowed to put $18k/year in.

Employer contributions or profit sharing can get you much more than $18k a year employee contribution limit. Also if you have multiple jobs or multiple unrelated businesses you can get multiple employer contributions.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

He should just ask all the other ski bums what they do with their investment portfolios.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Is there a more BWM expression than 'income free'?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I think any plan that involves a 24-year old asking "Can I get on Medicare or something?" is probably pretty well thought out and researched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The first mistake is deciding to become a ski bum right as summer starts