Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Weatherman posted:

On that note, let me post three of the four best BWM-related SA threads of all time.

4. Scammed by dealership, and I'm taking it to the news, wherein a dumbass teenager hotfoots it to his local Nissan dealership and signs a contract he neither read nor understands and that he trusted the dealer to explain to him.

3. Decreasing credit lines, increasing interest rates, and bankruptcy., wherein a dumbass alcoholic college student explains why bankruptcy is the most appropriate course of action and why won't you mean goons stop telling me I'm a drunk?

2. Can't find a link, but it's zaurg's first thread.

1. YEAR, n. A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments (zaurg's second and ultimately fatal thread). Seriously, you have to just spend a weekend reading through it.

Honourable mention: The Cornholio Thraed, wherein a BWM goon sees the light and makes a full conversion to GWM status and forum legend.

Where's Slow Motion's thread? :colbert:

edit: I'm beaten, but at least I can answer my own question. Like a Train Wreck in Slow Motion (AKA tripping balls at the opera)

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Also this cat is ruining my credit score.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Hoodwinker posted:

I feel like we need some sort of mandatory government-sponsored training for everybody when they get out of school for how to deal with loving finances, contracts, and being a productive member of society.

This is not in the interest of the upper classes though, so it won't happen.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

potatoducks posted:

Wait these sound great.

Only if you're rooted in American suburbia. Lots of needless overhead from designing cities to accommodate cars. Everything gets further apart and more people need cars and so on and so forth. BWM

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It pretty much is running up a giant credit card balance on a massive scale. Both figuratively (carbon emissions) and literally (the cost at a municipal and personal level of needing vehicles for everyone and the infrastructure and land to support them). BWM for sure

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Talk about NIMBY :psyduck:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah I don't think it's so bad from a money perspective, it's some of the other implications I'm not a fan of. One big lot isn't enough for my family, let's take two.

It's one of those things that's fine on a small scale but if every neighborhood does it, it increases sprawl significantly.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BarbarianElephant posted:

I don't think it sounds crazy at all. It's cheap, and it might be a good investment after his kids grow up - they could build a house there and rent it out. As long as he doesn't keep bidding up and pay more than he is expecting.

How do you follow with this when I said "Yeah I don't think it's so bad from a money perspective?" I'm not talking about whether it's a good investment. It's bad from a social* and city-planning perspective - in my opinion, but YMMV.

*talking about bigger picture, not him and the 4 or 5 families that directly benefit from his underground park.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

HR always exists to protect the company, but protecting them from lawsuits is one of the common ways they do that.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Where will that darn bird end up next!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I tried TriFecta! It was so unbelievably bad I posted some poo poo on their facebook page and their ceo apologized. 11 dollars a meal and it was horrid in taste and texture. Significantly less pleasant than a goddamn lean cuisine.

They're like 320 calories a pop too, and they proudly say "eat 3 a day for full nutrition!!"

Maybe they're talking about full nutrition for hobbits, you don't know

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

If you don't like the random ingredients we send you, feel free to order another box.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

canyoneer posted:

My box had canned quail eggs, a durian, 3 lbs of sea salt, frozen catfish, and 2 Ghostbusters (2016) Funko Pops.

What can I make with this?

Sounds like a job for the ice cream maker!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Aint nobody got time for that. I just stuff all the ingredients in my Juicero and microwave the resulting paste.

Woah man you can't just shove DRM-free ingredients into a Juicero

quote:

I don't think Blue Apron is inherently BWM. You're paying for the luxury of not having to think too hard about what to cook, good ingredients, and a wide variety of food.

Yeah, particularly because you don't need to commit to six months or anything. You could just get a week here or there to get some ideas/a break on planning.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

not exactly but Johnny Depp did spend.over $5MM to launch Hunter S. Thompson's ashes out of a cannon

That was for the whole party which was a huge gala, the actual cannon part didn't cost that much

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

"I agree with you, Mrs. Redditor. You should sell these condos immediately...and buy $400k worth of full life insurance!"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Kotaku, shill of all things Japanese and gadgety posted:

This is the sort of computer system one might expect from Computer Direct Outlet, a company with a CEO named Gary Underwood, a designer named Ty Underwood and a engineer named Dale Woodard. Seriously. These guys were born to make a wooden PC

Or, OR, OR...it could be that they're fake names :aaa:

Wonder if that author will sell all his consoles to buy one and get his wife a taco bell gift card again.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 17, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

:lol: if you think a company that's never turned a profit will be around in 15 years. That VC gravy train won't last forever.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I don't need a safety net.

I really need a place to stay before my start ups get funded.

I don't even have money for food right now.

I’m literally almost always broke.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

AmericanBarbarian posted:

I thought they paid him 100k.

quote:

He pulled out his tattered black log book and told us we owed him $20,000—on top of the $30,000 we’d already handed over. We countered with a list itemizing the $100,000 we had paid to make up for his incompetence. In the end, we gave him roughly $6,000, just to be rid of him.

The $100k wasn't to him, it was to fix the foundation.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Rich parents.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

This family certainly seems to want attention, that's for sure.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Really though zero isn't much worse than 2600 do may as well have a giant banana I guess

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The Millionaire Next Door - one of the best personal finance books in my opinion, especially because it focuses in laser close on spending - makes a really compelling case that paying for the best school your kids can get into is a really great way of keeping your family wealthy over generations. Forcing your kids to "BOOTSTRAPS!" all over again because you're too cheap to save for their education seems to me to be a decidedly counterproductive way to ensure success for your children, your grandchildren and beyond.

This presupposes that generational wealth and classism is a good thing. I don't think your kids or my kids deserve a better shot than children of poor parents even if they don't work for it but hey that's me.

Bootstraps is a funny thing to quote because it's used by the rich to say the poor should work harder. If the rich didn't transfer wealth and opportunity to their children, a true meritocracy would actually be possible.

Just pretend I derail birded myself.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 1, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

monster on a stick posted:

:rip: "no last word" thread policy

No, I'm just saying I'm apologizing for the derail. It can continue, I should know better but I just couldn't help myself :negative:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Driving an hour each way for work also eats into that potential 70k salary at a healthy clip when you factor in gas, repairs, and wear and tear.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BWM: rent-to-own cats

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Ebola Roulette posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6fwjzz/26_looking_to_leave_an_80kyear_job_so_i_can_make/

It's a long post so I picked some good quotes. Long story short guy has an $80k a year salary, has an employer matched 401k, and 20k in student loans.

But he needs to follow his dreams and make art.

It's too bad they don't let you make art on the nights/weekends.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Do you feel that this inquisition is on-topic in the Bad With Money thread?

:ironicat:

Why leave money in your 403b? It could go up or down! Just take the hit and BUY A HOUSE! Stop throwing away money on rent!

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6g1p0j/looking_to_buy_a_house_how_bad_of_an_idea_is_it/[/quote posted:

short background: wife is a stay-at-home mom w/ our 20mo old. i work full-time (and full-time student if that matters) making 110k/yr. Both have 700+ credit scores, debt ratio fairly low.
So we're looking at buying a house listed at $479k. We can go the route of going to our credit union and financing the whole thing through a 5/5 ARM for first time buyers. Due to the price it would be a jumbo loan.
My wife left her job when our daughter was born and has roughly 200k in her 403b. It has been sitting there ever since. Would it be wise to cash it out and take the penalty and use the proceeds towards purchasing the house? The logic behind this being that currently the 403b may go up or down but highly doubtful there would be exponential growth. However if we take that money and put it on the house it would lower the overall mortgage payments, possibly negotiate a better rate an wouldn't have to classify it as a jumbo loan. And someone mentioned there would be savings due to amortization w/ the full cost vs cost after paying w/ 403b money (not sure how true that is). Also she wants a fixed rate loan vs the first time buyer 5/5 ARM that both CUs offer. Is the 5/5 ARM that bad or is she overreacting or something?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Luckily they seemed receptive to it being a horrible idea.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Owns a Tesla

Buys a 38k house

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I hate to be that guy, but this was posted 2 pages ago.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Oh no here comes "I spent this much on my wedding, idiots :smugdog: " time.

(my ex-wife has a cousin whose wedding featured $250,000 in flowers. the bride's dad was loving loaded. the flower displays were ostentatious and ugly)

BWM: being 10k upside down on a Civic on a minimum wage job.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6gyr5y/car_loan_overwhelmed/ posted:

Hello /r/personalfinance, longtime lurker, first time poster. I need advice whether or not my situation would be better off seeking the aide of a Fiduciary or a Banker in the sense of getting my car loan conditions renegotiated or if I have to refinance it.
I have a current balance of ~$19,000 with an APR of 8% (It's a 2015 Honda Civic, my guess valued at ~9,000). My current car payment is $502 and my insurance is ~$110. I have my utilities and rent totaling to $850. My income is minimum wage (8.25 /hr) ($1172 is my take home after taxes). I'm on a sinking ship and fast, I need help and do not know what to do.
Do I forfeit the car and eat the debt or is there an alternative. My credit score is already in the dumps after having a multitude of bad luck with housing, most places had horrible living conditions and I ended up leaving without serving the lease or contract term.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Randler posted:

How do you spend 250,000 on flowers?

It's typical for a wedding to feature 2-3k of flowers in a major city. Do you think the flowers actually cost 2-3k? It's mostly profit for the florist.

Imagine using the most renowned florist you can find, and gently caress off centerpieces that are so big that the guests on opposite sides of the table can't see one another.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Food itself can easily be $100+ per plate from a high-end caterer, so there's 30k right there for 300 people.

It doesn't *have* to be that expensive but it's certainly not unheard of.

Bar packages often are extremely expensive as well from these kinds of caterers, so multiply something like $10-$20 per person per hour by six hours by 300 people...

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I think I'll die in a Mad Max style wasteland brought on by climate change.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

If you're on a vacation of any kind and the quality of internet is a concern you're doing it wrong. Stay home where there's good internet and save money.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

27k for this vintage train car with a kitchen, servants' quarters, dining room, observation lounge, and 5 bedrooms. And it won't sink. Granted it probably needs twice that in work before it would be both functional and comfortable. Really if I was stupid rich I might be tempted.

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/detail.asp?id=2143&n=Seaboard-Coast-Line-Business-Car-quotJacksonvillequot

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 28, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Washing down my B12 vitamins with Russel Wilson's magic nanobubble water while getting laser weight loss therapy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Doc Hawkins posted:

I brought it up. It seemed on-topic.

But since you'd rather just discuss being not fat: healthily reducing food intake enough to lose significant weight and keep it off is work. It's only worth almost everyone's energy. Even leaving out medical conditions, you need a degree of slack in your life to do it. (although of course, most people with the energy to post on discussion forums probably have the spoons to spare to get ripped)

"Luxury" isn't a pejorative for worthless things, class signifiers, or a perception of inflated prices, it just means something which isn't a necessity. Many luxuries are so cheap that we don't even notice their cost, and we wouldn't consider going without them...but there remain people in very lovely circumstances who are actually obliged to prioritize other things over their long-term metabolic health.

MMM (yes, I know) once remarked in a blog post that he really liked going to restaurants, because it's an insanely luxurious experience: people waiting on you hand and foot, bringing you as many courses as you ask of freshly-made dishes from around the world! He thought there was value in maintaining that perspective - in consciously de-normalizing the commonplace luxuries in our lives - and currently I agree. Right now I'm especially enjoying the luxury of hot water, having had to wait a few months for a heater to get replaced.

If you call not being fat a luxury using the above, you could also call medicine a luxury by the exact same parameters.

It depends on what you mean by "need" I suppose. Ultimately you only need oxygen and a certain temperature level to stay alive for a short enough timeline.