Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The present value of a $9,100 perpetuity beginning in 30 years assuming a discount rate of 3% in 2016 dollars is $125,000. :shepspends:

It does eventually end with her death, so it isn't a true perpetuity, although at the number of expected payments we probably aren't too far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how the hell can anyone believe in Car Equity?

I mean you can have negative car equity, right?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Also land use...

A 160 acre greenfield subdivision can have about as many units as a new half block, 6-story apartment building, with a lot more new infrastructure needed for the greenfield development.

Plus for a landlocked municipality, once you stop being able to annex new land, increasing the density of your existing land use is the best way to increase your tax base to pay for the infrastructure that you never budgeted to support long term.

On the topic of shopping center parking, a lot of overparked shopping centers by me are putting in retail pads for more buildings as the malls lose thier drawing power. Some wih huge parking lots have actually stuck new apartment buildings in there too because they have so much parking.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah I don't think it's so bad from a money perspective, it's some of the other implications I'm not a fan of. One big lot isn't enough for my family, let's take two.

It's one of those things that's fine on a small scale but if every neighborhood does it, it increases sprawl significantly.

This is why I support Georgist land taxes. Buy all the land you want and keep it unimproved, but have property taxes based on the value of the land without taxing the improvements.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

Does anyone know SB Dunks well enough to identify that colorway? That doesn't even look like it'd be an expensive one.

I haven't followed in a while, but I don't see anything super special about them, other than that the top of the toe box and presumably the heel are switched from one to the other. Unless it was a super rare release, I don't see anything that would identify them otherwise.

Edit: I looked at it again and it looks like you can see a Jordan Brand set of wings in the mirror. I guess that could mean rare colorway, but the Jordan SBs were never really my thing. Maybe ask the sneaker thread?

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 7, 2017

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

Like anything, you really have to know the market. Shoes can be very GWM but:

1 - On most retro Jordans, you're maybe making $30-$40 per shoe before eBay fees if you're looking to flip day 1.
2 - If you buy the wrong pairs, you're hosed as some shoe stores won't let you return quickstrike (the name for that tier of rarity/release) releases and now you're sitting on a few hundred dollars of Jordan Raptor 7s or unwanted Foams and taking a loss.
3 - Every person you deal with is some wannabe hustler and thinks of themselves in that way. It's loving annoying. Imagine you had a job that only sold to finance bros. It's kinda like that.
4 - You either need to be really lucky or have a hookup for the real profitable stuff. Tech nerds could've leveraged their Twitter bots in the past, but now all crazy hyped stuff goes through SNKRS app for Nike. Not sure about Yeezys. Those might still be exploitable.
5 - Shoe equity is all reliant on someone somewhere being willing to pay an exorbitant amount of money on rare sneakers, specifically your pair of rare sneakers, from all the other sneakers in the world. Are you willing to be the guy sitting on a pair of sneakers from 2011 and insisting you get your $850 for them that may never materialize?

I'm wondering when the market will bottom out on most of these sneakers the way that the market bottomed out on comics a few years back.

You got a lead on a pair of Raptor 7s? The Bordeaux 7s have to be my favorite, but a spare pair of Raptors would be dope.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Cap rates are typically unlevered figures, so you usually only see them in really weird situations like affordable deals near the end of the 30 year compliance period.

They haven't indicated if they are taking taxes into account, it could be cash flow negative on its own, but give them additional paper losses like depreciation to reduce their tax bill at thier presumably high marginal rate, but if she is spreadsheeting that hard, they are probably accounting for that.

Still bad, potentially less bad, although they aren't in an income tax state so the marginal tax shields are less valuable.

Edit: They could form LLCs to hold the condos and still be able to deduct interest/depreciate the properties.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Randler posted:

Can you offset your renting losses against other income or does the US tax system have safeguards against endeavors that won't turn a profit?

(In Germany the chief example is lawyers buying horses and trying to claim they have a real horse farm to get their hobby indirectly subsidized by the state.)

Emphatically. The US tax system loves giving paper losses to real estate, which can flow through to owners to offset earned income. It is why doctors and dentists make so many silly investments, because they have the high marginal tax rates to see significant tax bill reductions.

It used to be a lot worse, but there is still a lot that can be done to have even cash flow positive properties have negative taxable income.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Yeah, an acre is 43,560 square feet, or by PLSS definitions, 10 square chains. Or 1/640 square miles, because the was once some logic to the customary system.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Could be an insurance thing too.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The judge threw it out, so it looks like they'll all be saving money on legal fees.

Also, thank you, the principal/principle distinction is missed a lot even in professional contexts.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Someone filled out a reimbursement form for travel and turned it in to HR today.

They had to call them up because his reported miles were 147 on a trip that should be about 90 miles.

Apparently, he drove an extra 57 miles (about 28 miles each way) to go to a gas station that had gas at 11 cents per gallon cheaper to try and save the agency money.

But that makes no sense, you get mileage or gas, but not both? Like if he rented a car for it he could expense the gas, but then there would be no need to report mileage?

Edit: I mean padding mileage is what was happening, but it is one of the dumbest excuses I've heard.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Snap's shareholders can't even vote, so it's not like they can replace the board even if they wanted to.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Someone they interviewed now works to help people get out of MLMs. I feel like that is a market ripe for disruption, perhaps a multi-level organization specializing in helping people get out of MLMs. Can't be too good though, otherwise you'll break yourself!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

But maybe he/his girlfriend never learned how to make Easy Mac they way his mom does it? :ohdear:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Thinking about basement IRA guy, it probably makes sense for his mom to take it since she is closer to being able to take non-penalty distributions if it inherits as an IRA and not converting to taxable.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Is HELOC interest deductible like regular mortgage interest though? If her income jumps, that would help as her marginal rate will determine how much the deduction is worth.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

On the one hand, keeping the kids motivated, but on the other, it's an easy generational wealth transfer you dolts! You'll pay lawyers and accountants piles of money later to transfer money down the family tree that easily, especially if they start early!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Plus prestigious schools increase the odds of the ultimate GWM, marrying up!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

That's a pretty good deal, although i take exception to calling something a three year lease when there is a 60 day mutual termination option. There better be some tenant rep comission in there for the dude's broker though, talk about legwork!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Get rid of Prop 13 and let municipalities raise taxes for local poo poo like roads, while making it so you can't be sitting on a house you bought in the 70s and only see your taxable value go up 2% a year with a 1% max tax rate.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Virtue posted:

Pretend I posted a bird here.

It pains me to agree, but yeah, BWM, not land use or housing policy unfortunately.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I kind of want to get a snapchat filter for my apartment now. $70 for 2 weekends, I would do that for the hell of it.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I have friends that will spend forever looking for free parking if we go to meet somewhere that requires parking. I know some of them don't make a ton and therefore it makes sense that they aren't going to pay for parking. Friends that do make enough money though I think are cheap.

This story would be like one of my friends who always spent forever finding parking was actually making a bunch more than me, at which point I would probably have to recognize where I stood relative to them paying for parking.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What people like that don't get is by doing that they're also showing they don't value their friends' time either.

This is what I was saying. Reddit poster's BF was cheap and wasted a bunch of time/utility by being cheap. It was one thing for them to not make money as a couple was one thing, but to know that he was cheap is another. Like he can be as cheap as he wants, but she should know that he is cheap by choice instead of thinking that he is just not making much money.

One is a circumstance, the other is a character trait.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Motronic posted:

They look like standardbred trotters to me, which is part of why I'm suggesting Amish.

Guy behind the windshield looks like he has an Amish shirt.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

It's the tax for dealing with those people.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Wells Fargo obviously needs to do it through the proper legal process, but the breathless reporting of changing the loan from 14 years remaining to 40 and reporting nominal dollar interest expenses over that time is bad and the reporters should feel bad. The bank gave them the option to keep liquidity. They could have written the same check every month and been in the same position, but also diverted the money to higher interest debts.

The last paragraph is really the important one, that the change had to go through the court before it could be approved, but the substance of the change is what gets the bulk of the article instead of the procedural issue at the end.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The article makes no mention of changing the interest rate, so I'm not sure what exactly the bank gets by keeping their capital in this specific mortgage versus being able to deploy it elsewhere.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The contract was explicitly revised at the request of the other party in that cash and guns house. I might ask if there were any sentimental guns, but other than that, it would probably be more of a hassle and the jerk might just sue instead.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

At that level, it's find the real estate lawyer and your accountant, not the internet.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I mean, lacking an internship the summer after his junior year isn't great, but I assume STEM kids have employment of some kind thrown at them upon graduation, even if it's only .5 X what he thinks it will be and probably as an unengaging contract role, but I assume he would be able to pay it off if he doesn't turn up his nose at something he things is beneath him.

Which is to say he'll be back in 12 months as another story of BWM.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I have a Canadian portfolio company in the e-sports space looking to raise money soon, put them in touch!

How do you say "boiler room" in Canadian?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

I feel as if my life could be so much more.

Almost no windows, harder to see bees and die.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

cowofwar posted:

The contribution of human groups to civilization was greater on the coasts where food was plentiful in a static location than compared with nomadic tribes in the interior that had to expend much more time and energy tracking food.

Emphatically. Shellfish hunting has to be one of the least poetic versions of hunting though.

And so the brave hunter stalked these mollusks through the tidal flats, braving sunlight and the beast's sharp shell to bring home a meal for their starving family.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Haifisch posted:

I'm not that old, geez.

Content:

Haven't paid for electricity for 10 months and nothing has happened

If only there was some sort of rent contract they could read, so they could have known from the start whether they were supposed to pay electric or not.

So I did the flip side of this where I had my electric account at my old apartment, moved, told the power company that I was moving, and then never cancelled. I ended up paying like $100 before I realized I was paying for my new apartment and my old empty one.

The power company told me to talk to my apartment and my old apartment ignored me, so I guess they won there.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Houses! I keep reading about Milleneals being scarred by the great recession as it relates to housing, but then everyone goes out and buys houses for too much money and I just don't get it.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Higgy posted:

The American Dream™ is a strong pull. Somehow people keep getting convinced that renting is throwing money away and that you deserve to be in a house. Never mind that your mortgage payment is your minimum payment of your housing now.

I put this in the same category of friends who want to leave corporate jobs to become "job creators" in vague undefined ways. I'm like, you probably add more economic output by working corporate and spending money at local businesses than you would by trying to run your own. And make more money doing it too!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

I'm more imagining him just chatting with the cop and being "funny" about his parking tickets in a completely out of touch way and the cop being like "gently caress this guy" the next day.

They could do a rotation, have a cop sit there every morning, ticket him and go on their way. Honestly it might make sense to charge the kid for 365 tickets in one go amd leave him alone for the year. Or just a direct billing to the family office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Ha, I forgot it was a Lambo. Maybe he could hire a driver to follow him in a motorcycle and valet his car wherever he goes.

I mean the Lambo must be fun, but the family probably sent Winston up with the Rolls in case junior has too much to drink while out and about.