Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Praise be to the promiscuous porcine woman for putting together the new thread rules. Also for introducing me to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I was at the Chicago Comics and Entertainment Expo (C2E2) a couple of weekends ago, and there were multiple booths set up with nothing but wall-to-wall "loot" boxes. I'm sure some people enjoy the surprise of finding out what random assortment of tchotchkes they had purchased the rights to, but the idea of paying $30 for $15 (or less) worth of stuff seems inherently stupid.

And yet, I cannot believe how loving excited people get over it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I know you can order boxes with meal assembly ingredients in them, but how lovely would it be to order from a service that just gave you a random assortment of food?

"My box came with a jar of minced garlic, seven tangerines, an unlabeled can, a single chicken thigh, and three thawed freezepops."

This is my original idea please do not steal. There's somebody that would actually buy this.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BloodBag posted:

People that buy them must not understand video games. You go to vendors for trade and you know what you're trading for, money leaves your coin purse for goods. When you 'loot', you have either just slain something and are picking over it's carcass, or you've stumbled upon unattended booty, which you take. At no point during the 'looting' process does money leave your pocket. loving casuals. They deserve to be looted.

Aha! I get it! The vendor is looting schmucks. Got it.

e: /\ /\ /\ I hope she likes Mongeese (Mongoosen?)
I think it's supposed to be more analogous to loot boxes in Overwatch, where you either buy them directly with money or earn them through playing the game, except without the "Playing the game" part. That's the part of the business model they're missing out on, forcing people to perform menial tasks in exchange for $2 anime toys.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

She should start a business called "Snake Box" and sell snake boxes and the only thing in the boxes is snakes.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I like the part where she was repeatedly told why this was a bad idea and went ahead with it anyway. I hope she doesn't wake up in a cold sweat later when the impact of this all returns to her.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She just kept repeating to the HR and Pension people: "I want my money now. I don't want you to hold on to it forever. I understand that I will get much more, but that is in 20+ years and we will have better jobs and a house almost paid off by then, so we don't need the hassle of keeping the state updated with our address and holding onto our money for 20+ years. It will be more useful now and I just don't want to have it hanging over my head for so many years."
"I don't want to do a combined several hours worth of work over 20 years to earn an order of magnitude more money." Even worse, I guarantee she doesn't realize that "better jobs" won't in fact be as much better as they seem on the surface because of inflation. I would absolutely bet 8 grand against getting much more in 20 years for a barely non-zero amount of work.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"I'm a fully self-sufficient person with the unfettered support of my equally insane family."

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Picture of Redditor's family:

Is that from that one incredibly dark and gruesome X-Files episode? Because you could also substitute anything from that.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I feel like we need some sort of mandatory government-sponsored training for everybody when they get out of school for how to deal with loving finances, contracts, and being a productive member of society.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

We had something like that in high school too. High school kids don't have context to associate their actions with the real life consequences, because high school is more like Lord of the Flies than real life. It would have to be given after finishing schooling and at the start of whenever somebody has real responsibilities to deal with.

Nail Rat posted:

This is not in the interest of the upper classes though, so it won't happen.
Whether you're joking or not, the abundance of BWM material shows that the bourgeois doesn't have to lift a loving finger to enable this kind of behavior. Our own natural biases do most of the heavy lifting. Bring on the singularity!

Edit:

*In the post-Singularity universe, translated from binary*
"I can't believe this guy spent 15 extra cycles recomputing his coefficient. What a loving waste. Anyway, does anybody else have to deal with klybar crystal efficiency not offering up the advertised rates?"

"Desire is an illusion."

"Yeah, but I spent like 34k credits on them."

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 3, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

The TSP is the primary option unless you manage to stay in 20 years and collect your retirement pay. I'm not sure how that works. The TSP though is c-c-c-crazy good. The expense ratio is 0.038% and the funds are decent. I admit that my initial response when somebody tried to tell me to put money in something other than the G-Fund was, "I don't know enough about this so I'm not touching it," but I learned about investing and changed it all later.

The most baller thing about the TSP is that if you have any amount of money in it, you can choose to roll over your 401(k) contributions from your civilian work into your TSP account when you move on.

Honestly, that dude is still a step ahead of the game because trying to convince Marines to spend their money on something other than motorcycles, tattoos, and nicotine/alcohol products is loving difficult.

Being in the military should be GWM, but existing in an endless debauchery culture is BWM.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 3, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I have a hard time imagining guys like the Game Grumps or Markiplier having a hard time just pivoting into the entertainment industry at large (something both of them already seem to be doing) if youtube revenue dries out.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

The really big guys like them are already making low-millions so if they can't pivot to "early retirement" when youtube dries up it's their fault :v:
Arin specifically begged the viewers to save money for retirement during a recent Zelda video so I doubt either of the Grumps are going to have any trouble. The youtubers who live and work in LA seem to have poo poo locked on right.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

It's actually German so it's really, "Pew The Pie."

Edit: It is not Pew the Pie.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 4, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Jesus, and the parents are on the hook for cosigning. That's a loving tragic mess.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think about that one a lot and really, really try to avoid it as much as possible. I think the key is being disciplined enough to pay something (savings, retirement, etc) first and NOT TOUCH IT.
It's amazing how much room there can still be left to purchase goods and services if you just loving budget for savings as a line item like everything else. But no, says the American consumer, I don't want to live like a miser because that is the automatic alternative to instant gratification.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Well I mean step one is have free cash and be above subsistence level poverty so it's right out for a good portion of people today even in the developed world.
We're all well aware that this thread and its contents are usually referring to people with enough free income (but never enough) to develop horse-needs.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

melon cat posted:

This is exactly why people need to smarten up and save for retirement under the assumption that their publicly-funded pension won't exist by the time they retire. Because this can happen pretty much anywhere.

I spoke with a lot of clients who scoffed at me when I suggested that they get in the habit of setting aside a small, fixed amount of each paycheque into their retirement savings because "I'll get CPP and OAS" or the incredible, "I've got real estate. :smug:" And they say this in the face of an increasingly aging population, high inflation that's far outpacing all combined sources of average income, and an already pitiful CPP/OAS payout that's barely above poverty wage.

There is a public sector retirement time bomb happening and nobody wants to acknowledge it.
To be fair for them I'm sure this is equivalent to me scoffing at preppers until the entire government collapses and I wish I had bought nothing but high-caliber ammunition. In their mind it makes no rational sense to distrust an establishment that served the previous generation.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how the hell can anyone believe in Car Equity?
For the same reason that people don't know how to manage personal finances: complete loving ignorance of the levers and pulleys responsible for financial health.

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'm a tearful-eyed liberal but I've watched Fury Road enough times to take its lessons to heart

My stockpile:

welding supplies
grinding disks
skulls
friends
This but unironically. A healthy social support network is the rock solid foundation for success and happiness in life, whether it's finding jobs more easily or having somebody to hold down a dude's neck with their boot while you rifle through his pockets.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BWM: most of the country electing officials who are not like that guy.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

If you took his advice and allowed a car dealer to up-sell you like that, then you would never make back your "investment" in car trim or a luxury model.

Nor is it wise to buy a new car with the plan of reselling it in a couple years to get your money back and buy a new one.
I guess the optimist in me looked past the everyman car buying analogy and at the part where he says, "We need to get the state running with that kind of foresight and not just looking at the next budget or election cycle." I realize it's not verbatim but that's an incredibly valuable outlook.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah it's terrible car advice but it's the kind of salesman car advice that 90% of the population thinks is really good car advice coming from a helpful salesman that just sounds like common sense and I guess i'm okay with horrible manipulative mind control tactics being used for good? Man the trump presidency has made me reevaluate a lot of things...
I mean if you get down to what influence is about, it's less about being a manipulative mastermind and just connecting to the other person to convince them of your point of view. Sometimes this is done deliberately and sometimes it's done indirectly. This guy sounds like he probably just knows how to connect properly with his base.

He was a Republican and his campaign platform was:

1) Eliminating "Smart Growth" rules to allow the building of a mall and allow shopping centers to build bigger parking lots
2) Changing the state tax code to give bonuses based on age, so seniors could get larger caps on credits and college students who live with their parents don't get credits that they don't need.
3) To fight a court order by the Housing and Urban Development Department halting a proposal to tear down an affordable housing unit and sell it to Marriott.
4) Add more lanes to our back-roads and downtown main streets.
I'll be honest I can't tell from the way you worded things whether or not these are good things or bad things that sound good on the surface.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Wellp, it's me. I'm the BWP (bad with politicians).

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

You're going to be a professor someday with how little you've attempted to simplify your explanations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

They also have a new mandated financial education class for all recruits, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything to stop these situations.
That's because all anybody ever does is cheat on the tests to get credit.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ixian posted:

Reddit groupthink tends towards worst case paranoia. More likely is the girl is simply your garden variety sociopath living in the moment who doesn't plan anything nor give two shits about consequences for herself or anyone else. Probably some sob story involved, usually is.

She wanted to Get the gently caress Out of Town and found herself the most straightforward way to do it. The smooth escalation of the overall con suggests it isn't the first time.
Ding ding ding ding. I've known people like this. This is way more likely than a complicated grift.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

go ahead and guess how much the inseminations that lead to that horse cost.

Was it... many dollars?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Abort! Abort!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Ketchup contains tomato, which is a fruit.
N-no.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

The Koch brothers have enough money that they could spend their entire lives partying with the best champagne and personal chefs and finest hookers in a different exotic location every day, including the goddamn space station, and still leave an inheritance large enough for their entire family line to do the same thing for at least 10 generations to come.

They instead spend their time and money on making more money and convincing poor people to vote in ways that get them more money at the expense of basically everything else.
Power is a hell of a drug.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Have we established if owning a delightful tropical bird is BWM yet?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

That man is officer material and I mean that in the worst possible way.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

quote:

Although neither of us will be abandoning our passions within the Army and the fashion industry...
You don't say...

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

almost as good as "if it weren't for my horse, i wouldn't have spent that year in college"
Thanks for reminding me that I will never get closure on this.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Woof Blitzer posted:

A polo pony scholarship, she had a polo pony scholarship.
Namaste.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

quote:

“That [Trump] didn't care, that it was just a piece of flesh … That really disturbed him."
IT PUTS THE HORSE LOTION ON ITS MANE OR ELSE IT GETS THE WORKOUT AGAIN

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

UPDATE: Beneficiary of a Traditonal IRA account containing 180k, im entitled to 1/3rd, my mother wants me to sign it all over otherwise im getting evicted.

Long story short: man finds out he is due ~$60k from an inherited IRA, mom threatens to kick out him and his girlfriend if he doesn't sign over the money. He relents because he doesn't realize he would basically be signing away enough money for his girlfriend and he to just, y'know, move out on their own. This post destroys me.

quote:

Prior post is here if you want to update yourself - https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6e4tdu/beneficiary_of_a_roth_ira_account_containing_180k/

We sat down and talked this morning, I told her that I would prefer to keep control of it and have it deposited in my name. This however come at the cost of losing access to the car, my phone, my credit card, everything outside of my personal belongings right now.

My girlfriend is also currently at work until 3pm, and if I decide to stay on this route I will have no way to pick her up. Nor any way to go to the bank when I need too.

I have quite literally zero dollars to my name, no bank account, no credit anything, my family has taken care of all of that for me and if I choose to take the money I lose access to all of that.

So my options are to apologize and sign the money over, reinstating my privileges as a family member along with moving in with them or I would be homeless in 16 days as that is when the lease is expiring and my family is moving into the new house.

I contacted capital one, but because this is a retirement based account everything moves slowly, it would require the mailing of forms back and forth that could take a few weeks for it all to be settled and to have the money moved into my name. This is time I do not really have, as being "homeless" without a car and other necessities means that I would likely lose my job that starts on June 19th. Not only that but not having transportation jeopardizes my girlfriends current employment as she works two part time jobs. Public transportation is not viable in our area unfortunately and walking distance to work would be well over an hour each way, and mine would be on the upside of 3.

Based on these circumstances and not wanting to thrust my life into one of poverty in the hopes of everything working out in a month or so, I feel like its likely in my best interest to apologize and sign it over regardless of how I feel. I know my father left it to me, but part of it is hers, it was a IRA that was meant for my mother and father.

I dont think i can brace the unknown safely in my current state, rather take the path of safety. Wish I had money myself and this ordeal started after I was already on my feet but fate wasn't kind.

Just looking for thoughts and opinions on the matter, ive contacted some lawyers and it seems to be directly a capital one investment issue and I have to wait on them and their paperwork that could take time that I dont have.

Emotionally manipulating your children into giving over their inheritance is GWM I guess.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 30, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Okay but if I move out of the basement mommy won't make me easy mac anymore :(
Money can buy lots of Easy Mac.

Fake edit: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

His post history on reddit leads to several different MMO subreddits so take from that what you will.

Droo posted:

That guy is 25 and apparently both he and his girlfriend live with the mom, have no intention of moving out, and don't pay for their own car / cell phone / etc. I kind of think the mom has a point about the money.
Sure, but, "Give me all of the money or I will disown you." is still bad behavior. The part that kills me is he essentially has access soon to enough money to get his life started better off than he was living and he's getting bullied out of that. :rip: