Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Edmund Lava posted:

I always thought he was Hades. His most common nickname was Pluto or "the wealthy one" and I assumed he forgetfulness but was a reference to how the ancient Greeks didn't like speaking about him. Mercury seems to work better though.

The first time I read through it I thought he was Hades too but there weren't any other Greco-Roman gods in the book and that seemed like a conscious decision so I kind of doubt it now. I definitely think he's an underworld god of some kind though, possibly something Celtic because if I recall correctly he was specifically depicted as almost obsessively enjoying scotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Wizchine posted:

I don't remember how far into the book I picked up that Shadow wasn't white, but it wasn't THAT far. Having other characters not being able to peg his ethnicity worked thematically - he's a mix of old world and new world, and can't really be pinned down to any one ethnicity (or pantheon). He's a cipher in every respect.

Definitely, I honestly can't understand people who read the book thinking he was white. His appearance is intentionally ambiguous. Reading the book I always pictured him as someone who could pass for Latino, Native American, Middle Eastern, dark skinned white, or light skinned black but who wasn't obviously any of them. I think that ambiguity helped the character in a lot of ways and I must admit that when I first heard about casting I was a little disappointed that it didn't fit my mental picture of the character but I like the direction they're taking the show in and I think Ricky Whittle's killing it so far.

About Mr. Nancy, I definitely pictured him as being quite a bit older than Orlando Jones but other than that I think the representation is pretty close to my image of him. In the novel he doesn't really get into racial issues with Shadow and Wednesday, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have opinions on them and it certainly doesn't mean he wouldn't give his worshipers on the slave ships the kind of advice he's shown giving them in that clip. It's one thing to be all jovial and friendly sitting on the porch with a beer in Florida, but that kind of thing doesn't really work in the hold of a transatlantic slaver. Anger is appropriate for the character, and for any character really, in that context.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

They mentioned Essie in the book? I don't remember that part at all.

I'm the book her name is Tregowan instead of MacGowan, she's Cornish instead of Irish, and she brings an otherwise unnamed Cornish fairy (I think a pixie? Can't remember) instead of Mad Sweeney. Otherwise the story's identical.

• Locked thread