Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

In the book it literally says that Shadow's called Shadow because as a kid he used to follow his mom around like...a shadow. It's a kiddie nickname that stuck.

Yes, it's not his real name. He gives up his real name during Wednesday's vigil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm enjoying the show but I struggle to see how it's appealing to anyone who hasn't read the books, I don't see any 'casuals' buying into this whole trippy nonsense for more than a season, particularly as this first one is going to end with a big 'wtf was that and why is it important?' moment.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Steve Yun posted:

The message I got from watching it as a newcomer to the material was that once the people were out of danger (they had food and defeated their enemies), they gave up on religion.

Yes, that's pretty much it. America is a bad place for gods and traditions.

In the book the chapter ends with the descendants of the original tribe, having long forgotten their relation to the tribe and the mammoth god, murdering everybody and destroying the altar.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Elotana posted:

If Egyptian gods are roaming around because of some Muslims telling stories to children then the Greco-Roman pantheon isn't a stretch

The egyptian gods have arrived during some ancient egyptian migration thousands of years ago.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I thought Shadow's wintry adventures we're easily the best part of the book.

• Locked thread