Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I know in the past Gaiman mentioned he intentionally kept away from the Greek/Roman Pantheon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i think the scene (and all the home scenes, being replaced by an electronic shuffler) is meant to show how empty Laura is and she's like, oh a hot dude wanna gently caress? why not. the rest of the show hits you very unsubtly how she feels like a complete nothing person

also everything between audrey and laura was amazing. Certainly didn't expect how great it was going to be.

Added some spoiler tags to quote. I think you really nailed it. Laura is an extremely depressed person, with nothing really driving her in life. She loved Shadow, but not as much as he loves her. She just was empty and KNEW there was nothing after death so she's just killing time until it happens.

With her resurrection, she knows that there IS something after death, and Shadow is literally her reason for living.

And I'll spoil this even though it's not really an episode spoiler where is the coin? Assuming they follow the book, it's pretty important to her, and I didn't see any pockets in her burial dress.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Max posted:

I wonder if it's because Odin was responsible for her death.

They're doing a good job of foreshadowing Odin. I loved the background shots of Huginn and Muninn flying around her house and behind the car before the accident.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm surprised they went for the Odin reveal so early on. I thought they'd keep that a bit more mysterious for the audience for a while. I mean, even in the book it wasn't a huge mystery but I expected it to be a season finale or season two reveal.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think if nothing else we can all agree that the best change they made in the show is to not explicitly name him Low-Key Lyesmith. Wins the award for most subtle of all names. Surprised Gaiman didn't name Wednesday "Ohdyn Thundurrgawd".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I guess maybe it's because I know a lot about Norse mythology but I was talking to a non book reader about the newest episode and (as I mentioned earlier) I was surprised they revealed Wednesday's true identity so early. He was confused, and still doesn't know.

I mean, Wednesday is very subtle...they called him Grimnir this episode, slightly less subtle, and then they came out with the O.D.I.N Rocket...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

precision posted:

You know, it occurs to me that all the hilarious tip-toeing in the non-spoiler thread regarding Wednesday might be off tone entirely. I think Gaiman/Fuller/et al expected the audience to be smart enough to make the connection that someone in a show called American Gods, who hangs out with Gods, who says "Wednesday, that's my day", has ravens around, is called Wotan in episode 2, is Odin.

Well to be fair, Norse mythology definitely wasn't all that popular/mainstream when the novel came out. It's definitely become a bit more mainstream with the Marvel movies. I doubt many people know the alternate names of Odin, and most have no idea that Wednesday comes from his name. I did when I read the book because I was a mythology nerd, but that definitely wasn't the norm. I think it's meant to be a secret at first, but if people didn't guess after this episode there's something wrong.

I haven't looked at the other thread, but I'm guessing it's filled with "people who never read the books" making "guesses as to what's happening" just like the Game of Thrones worst threads.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

i forgot, what happens when a powerful god is murdered. does he just come back again later in a different form or something

Well in the end of the book (spoiling in case anyone doesn't want to remember) you find out that the Old Gods in America are just aspects of the original Gods brought over by their original believers. After Wednesday is killed, Shadow meets another version of Odin. The quote is something like "He was I, and I am him, but we are not the same".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

precision posted:

Where'd you go to school? I was taught the basics of Norse/Greek/Roman mythologies in at least 3 different classes. At least the "Thor's Day, Freya's Day, Wotan's Day" and "he has a bro named Loki" basics. Honestly thought most people were, since I went to school all over the country growing up and always encountered it. Then again that was a long time ago, maybe they don't bother teaching that stuff more recently.

Michigan, graduated in '94. Mythology was barely touched unless you chose it as an independent study elective, and when it was it was mostly Greek/Roman stuff.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I wouldn't call Gaimans books amazing, but they're definitely fun reads. Neverwhere and Stardust are two of my favorites, they're definitely not Pulitzer prize winning books but they're not utter trash.

Sandman is still his best material, he's definitely far better with visual assistance. But I've read all of his stuff and very rarely do I regret the time spent. They're quick reads with some great ideas. Though I will say I didn't enjoy Norse Mythology all that much, but I suspect that's largely due to already knowing the stories and not getting enough new content out of them (and to be fair he says all he was doing was retelling old stories).

It's been years since I read American Gods but I think overall I just really liked the concepts it had. I'm enjoying the show but I definitely think the concept allows for an anthology series after the main story is told - they can complete the novel arc and there's no reason they couldn't tell the stories of other Old and New Gods that are trying to remain relevant.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

angerbeet posted:

Didn't Neverwhere start off as a shoe before becoming a book?

Yes it was inspired by Air Jordans. :)

It's a bit of a weird one - it was a show, but Gaiman wrote the book parallel with it.

Despite loving the book, not a huge fan of the show.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Is it just me, or was the decapitation horribly directed? Bad editing, camera work, nonexistent special effects

I hated that they did the trope of slash, head slowly falls off. That works with a razor thin katana, not with a giant loving broadsword.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

You know, I don't think the book ever implied that Wednesday manufactured the car accident.

I don't think so either. It would make sense though.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm 100% fine with them diverting and taking some liberties.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oh I thought we were talking about the car accident with Laura and Sweeney, which I don't actually remember being in the book accident. Oh yeah, definitely the accident that killed Laura was him.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

Missed this post. My guess for the accident in this episode is Eostre. She's the namesake of Easter and while rabbits have nothing to do with her traditionally, it's pointed out in the book that modern American Easter has little to do with her original formation. Rabbits are important in modern Easter, which is still worshiped, however. What her motivation is, I have zero idea.

On a side note - did I miss something where we're spoilering things in this thread? It's a spoiler thread for book readers - I thought anything that's already aired, speculation, and in this case anything in the book would be fair game. Are future book events not fair game or something?

People are spoiling the episode that airs Sunday night if they watch it on Starz on demand earlier in the day.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

One of them even has a baby dinosaur might be my favorite line in the series. So drat on point.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

dead comedy forums posted:

But that is exactly what the "American Gods" are, they are contemporary - the old ones are in the old world.

Yeah, that's pretty much the point of the novel entirely. Since this is the book spoiler thread, it's not even a subtle hint that there can be multiple versions of the same God, this episode had a bunch of different Jesii :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Pretty sure this did not happen.

It was in Predator vision but the Djinn love scene definitely had some of the ol' in and out top o' the morning to you.

• Locked thread