Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

High Treason is a Card-Driven Game about the trail of Louis Riel, a Canadian revolutionary:

The Publisher posted:

Canada’s westward expansion was very different than that of the United States. In the U.S., conflict in the westward movement was between the White Man and the Native Indian, and a common language united U.S. settlers. Language, however, has divided Canada ever since General Wolfe united the country by arms at the Plains of Abraham.

Canada’s settlers pushed westward, led by fur-traders and trappers who were predominately French Catholic. These pioneers intermarried with the Native Indians, producing a new race and a new culture – the Métis.

When the Canadian government made treaties with Native Indians, the Métis, being neither Native nor White, did not receive any comparable consideration. Wanting to protect their rights against the remote Anglo-Protestant government in eastern Canada, resentment grew into rebellion in Manitoba's Red River Valley in 1869. Louis Riel led this resistance and forced the government into compromise, resulting in the Manitoba Act.

Due to his participation in the rebellion and in the execution of English Protestant, Thomas Scott, Riel himself was forced to flee to the United States. While residing there, Riel obtained American citizenship.

When trouble between the Métis and the government occurred further west, in Saskatchewan, the Métis recalled their former savior to lead them. Louis Riel and Gabriel Dumont, a local Métis leader, initially worked toward a peaceful solution for their grievances. However, this movement eventually grew into a resistance, known as the North West Resistance. The Conservative government in Ottawa amassed a military force to crush it, and finally did at the Battle of Batoche, 9 – 12 May, 1885. Gabriel Dumont fled to the United States; tried and hanged for High Treason was Louis Riel.

There are many reasons why the first Riel resistance succeeded and the second failed. The westward expansion of the railroad allowed the federal government to deploy superior forces rapidly to the field. Riel himself embraced unorthodox religious views – views that alienated the Catholic Church and its devout supporters who were the key to his first resistance’s success.

Now you enter the courtroom during those five fateful days of July, 1885, when the future of a country hung in the balance, and the defendant, Louis Riel, hanged in the aftermath.

The game plays a lot like a smaller-sized Twilight Struggle or (as a better comparison) 13 Days. One player will take the role of the Prosecutor, trying to show evidence that Riel is guilty, while the Defense attempts to get Riel acquitted with an Insanity plea. In real life, Riel was hanged, but maybe things will turn out differently this time.

The game is divided into different phases:

- Jury Selection: during this phase, both sides will attempt to select judges that are likely to be favourable to their cause: protestant, English government workers are probably unsympathetic to Riel, while French Christian Farmers will probably see him in a more favorable eye. This is done by secretly peeking (or just revealing) the attributes of the jurors by playing cards.
- The trial in Chief (which is in two parts). In this part, both sides will argue their case (by playing cards) to the judge and jury and try to show evidence of guilt or insanity, as well as sway the judges to their favour.
- The Summation: the final wrap up. Each of the above phases makes you store 2 cards, for a total of 6, which are then used in the summation.

The cards can either be attorney that have special powers, or non-attorney cards which can have events relevant to one of the three phases.

Our first two players will be Fat Turkey and al-azad. Everyone else feel free to comment, or even inject a bit of roleplay if you want. I will make the updates on this PBP have some RP-lite like my games of Cube Libre and Falling Sky used to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
"Protegera nos foyers et nos droits", hein? Nous allons voir!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Good morning, Goon your honor
The crown will plainly show
The prisoner who now stands before you
Was caught red-handed in rebellions
Rebelling in a quite most Yankee nature
This will not do

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sounds awesome, will watch.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Al-azad takes the prosecution, it seems!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tekopo posted:

Isn't that the harder position? The Al-Azad has to come up with a coherent story of guilt. The Fat Turkey just needs to make the Al-Azad look like an idiot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The idiots are the defense. This trial sets a bad precedent for innocence by way of insanity. Insanity is not behaving irrationally; it is acting with an animal-like instinct. It is not enough to claim that one's decisions are without merit, you must prove they are unaware of their decisions entirely.

The defendant lacks many virtues but I can say this: he is of sound mind and body! I will prove that before the court and a jury selected to strengthen my case of my peers.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Jury Selection Round

Historically, the trial was moved from Winnipeg to Regina, to ensure that Riel would be tried by an Anglo-Saxon jury of six, rather than a mixed jury of twelve. The defence was unsuccessful at blocking this move.

A scant few weeks before the trial, and proceedings for the selection of the Jury have already begun. Each side does not have much time to find more about the jurists, and excuse them for whatever reason they see fit!

Jurists
(DAPs are Deliberation Action Points: they will help the juror sway other jurors during the jury deliberation phase).

#1: All hidden. 1 DAP
#2: All hidden. 1 DAP
#3: All hidden. 1 DAP
#4: All hidden. 1 DAP
#5: All hidden. 1 DAP
#6: All hidden. 3 DAP
#7: All hidden. 2 DAP
#8: All hidden. 2 DAP
#9: All hidden. 2 DAP
#10: All hidden. 2 DAP
#11: All hidden. 3 DAP
#12: All hidden. 3 DAP

Evidence:
(need at least 2 guilt or otherwise case is thrown)

Guilt: 0
Insanity: 0

Traits:
(range one to 10, higher values mean leaning towards guilty)

Religion Trait:
Protestant: 5
Catholic 3

Language Trait:
English 2
French 5

Occupation Trait:
Farmer 4
Merchant 5
Government 5

Action Queue:
-- Prosecution to play 5 of his 7 cards.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The prosecution has a pretty straightforward plan of attack. My goal is to lay everything bare. The crown keeps no secrets.

Thomas Sanderson reveals candidate #1's religion
Doctor Daniel Clark reveals candidates #2 and #3 religion
Miliyard Mitchell reveals candidates #11, #12, #6 occupation
Henry Waiters reveals candidates #7 and #8's occupation
Rebuttal Testimony reveals #4, #5, #9, #10 language

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Tekopo posted:

OBJECTION!

Your Honour, I motion that my learned opponent is stripped of his false robes of a title and given one more befitting of the circumstances - "Waster of this Court's Time"

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 4, 2017

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Prosecution Investigation

Getting underway first, the prosecution finds various relevant facts about the jurors that have been selected.

Jurors
(DAPs are Deliberation Action Points: they will help the juror sway other jurors during the jury deliberation phase).

#1: Catholic. Occupation/Language Hidden 1 DAP
#2: Protestant. Occupation/Language Hidden 1 DAP
#3: Protestant. Occupation/Language Hidden 1 DAP
#4: French. Religion/Occupation Hidden 1 DAP
#5: English. Religion/Occupation Hidden 1 DAP
#6: Merchant. Religion/Language Hidden 3 DAP
#7: Farmer. Religion/Language Hidden 2 DAP
#8: Farmer. Religion/Language Hidden 2 DAP
#9: English. Religion/Occupation Hidden 2 DAP
#10: French. Religion/Occupation Hidden 2 DAP
#11: Government. Religion/Language Hidden 3 DAP
#12: Merchant. Religion/Language Hidden 3 DAP

Evidence:

Traits:

Religion Trait:
Catholic 3

Language Trait:
English 2
French 5

Occupation Trait:
Farmer 4
Merchant 5
Government 5

Action Queue:
-- Defense to play 5 of his 7 cards.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

One thing: to speed up game play, Objections have to be played at the start of your own turn (even in summation, where you get more than one card play in a row).

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
While we welcome the prosecution's openness at this time, it only highlights how comfortable the Crown is with the inherent bias against my client from those selected before us. While we will ensure information is also laid clear to the court, we reserve some private queries for some of the chosen 12. For those, we will be asking for the name of their father, and also his occupation.

Card 3: Pros Witness Dr Willoughby - Reveal 6's language and 5 and 9's Religion

Card 5: Pros Witness Rev Pitblado - Reveal 2 and 3's language

Card 6: Def Attorney James Greenshields - Peek at 1-3 occupations and 12 language 

Card 4: Def Witness Philip Garnot - Reveal 9 and 10s occupations

Card 1 : Pros Witness Harold Ross - Reveal 4-6 occupations

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Prosecution Investigation

The Defense, having been convened later than the prosecution, had less time to query the jurors, but soon was able to uncover much information regarding them.

Juror #6's occupation has already been revealed, do you want to reveal something else?

Jurors

#1: Catholic. Language Hidden, Occupation peeked by defence 1 DAP
#2: French Protestant. Occupation peeked by defence 1 DAP
#3: English Protestant. Occupation peeked by defence 1 DAP
#4: French Merchant. Religion Hidden 1 DAP
#5: English Catholic Farmer 1 DAP
#6: English Merchant. Religion Hidden 3 DAP
#9: English Catholic Government Employee 2 DAP
#10: French Farmer. Religion Hidden 2 DAP
#12: Merchant. Religion Hidden. Language peeked by defence 3 DAP

Evidence:

Traits:

Religion Trait:
Catholic 3

Language Trait:
English 2
French 5

Occupation Trait:
Farmer 4
Merchant 5
Government 5

Action Queue:
-- Unused reveal for the Defence.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 4, 2017

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also, I have not included the number of sway tokens it takes to lock a juror: will do it when I get back home from work.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
The card that i sent to reveal 6's Op for me, it has to be Occupation and there isn't any other one unviewed by myself so for simplicity, let's leave it at that.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
It's a little counter-terrorism, in that you would expect the defence to want to keep the English in rather than the French, since the English have a lower guilt rating. I suppose there are mor cards that increase that than increase the French though, to the point that I'm still expected to favour French jury members.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Excusing Jurors

In a pre-trial meeting, both the Defence and Prosecution were gathered, having finished investigation on the Jurors. The judge turned to the Prosecution, and bid them to start proceedings.

Action Queue:
-- Prosecution: Excuse a Juror (please include a reason for dismissal).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fat Turkey posted:

It's a little counter-terrorism, in that you would expect the defence to want to keep the English in rather than the French, since the English have a lower guilt rating. I suppose there are mor cards that increase that than increase the French though, to the point that I'm still expected to favour French jury members.
Yep, there are more events that affect the french/farmers/catholics for the Defence, so the rulebook suggests ignoring the initial ratings and concentrating on the event card effects.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Now I'm worried why my smartphone 'corrected' counter-intuitive into counter-terrorism.

It certainly wasn't a slip by the Defence, my client is an innocent man, though mad as a clam.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If only there was a word in the year of our Lord 1885, to describe an accidental slip of the tongue based on subconscious thought...

Candidate #10, you are dismissed for failure to recite the National Anthem in the Queen's English. You may pick up your pig in the waiting room.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jurors

#6: English Merchant. Religion Hidden 3 DAP

Evidence:

Traits:

Religion Trait:
Catholic 3

Language Trait:
English 2
French 5

Occupation Trait:
Farmer 4
Merchant 5
Government 5

Action Queue:
-- Defence: Excuse a Juror (please include a reason for dismissal).

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
10? An honest man-of-the-Earth, removed from the justice system for the 'sin' of decency.

#6 the English Merchant is the candidate we must eject, for the sake of Justice. For as I queried others, i heard him exclaim under his breath "I can't wait to see Riel swing for this". Clearly the man is referring to the Ol' Justice Swing outside the courtroom, reserved for the gaiety of the innocent folk released from the court room to frollick and such in their new freedom. I am such a fair and principled man, and i will not allow such bias.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jurors

Evidence:

Traits:

Religion Trait:
Catholic 3

Language Trait:
English 2
French 5

Occupation Trait:
Farmer 4
Merchant 5
Government 5

Action Queue:
-- Prosecution: Excuse a Juror (please include a reason for dismissal).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

#7 did not adequately answer our questions. Leave.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
#12 was caught coveting his neighbour's rear end. The heretic.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jurors

Evidence:

Traits:

Religion Trait:
Catholic 3

Language Trait:
English 2
French 5

Occupation Trait:
Farmer 4
Merchant 5
Government 5

Action Queue:
-- Defence: Excuse a Juror (please include a reason for dismissal).

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 4, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fat Turkey posted:

#12 was caught coveting his neighbour's rear end. The heretic.

Oh, I see how it is. #1 you are dismissed on grounds of the defense being an rear end.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jury Selection End of Phase

The jury was successfully cut down to 6 jurors, after much deliberation from both sides. The Trial would soon begin, and both sides would spend the next few days getting their witnesses and testimonies ready.

Jurors

Evidence:

Traits:

Religion Trait:
Catholic 3

Language Trait:
English 2
French 5

Occupation Trait:
Farmer 4
Merchant 5
Government 5

Action Queue:
-- Wait for me to send in the cards.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 4, 2017

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
#11 is literally a scarecrow.

While clearly unfit to be a jury, he may return to his government position, where he is abundantly over-qualified.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jury Selection End of Phase

The jury was successfully cut down to 6 jurors, after much deliberation from both sides. The Trial would soon begin, and both sides would spend the next few days getting their witnesses and testimonies ready.

Jurors

#2: French Protestant. Occupation peeked by defence 1 DAP, 4 Sway Spaces
#3: English Protestant. Occupation peeked by defence 1 DAP, 4 Sway Spaces
#4: French Merchant. Religion Hidden 1 DAP, 4 Sway Spaces
#5: English Catholic Farmer 1 DAP, 4 Sway Spaces
#8: Farmer. Religion/Language Hidden 2 DAP, 5 Sway Spaces
#9: English Catholic Government Employee 2 DAP, 5 Sway Spaces

Evidence:

Traits:

Religion Trait:
Catholic 3

Language Trait:
English 2
French 5

Occupation Trait:
Farmer 4
Merchant 5
Government 5

Action Queue:
-- Wait for me to send in the cards.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 4, 2017

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Trial in Chief Round 1

Finally, the day of the trial had come, and both sides had gathered and instructed their witnesses. As proceedings began, the Judge called on the Prosecution to call their first witness: the trial was under way.

Jurors

#5: English Catholic Farmer 1 DAP, 4 Sway Spaces

Evidence:

Traits:

Religion Trait:
Catholic 3

Language Trait:
English 2
French 5

Occupation Trait:
Farmer 4
Merchant 5
Government 5

Action Queue:
-- Prosecution: Play a card for Action Points or Event.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I call to the stand Doctor Daniel Clark.

code:
Defence Witness: Doctor Daniel Clark (3 Action Points)

Trial in Chief Event: +1 Evidence of Insanity and -2 each to the English aspect and either Religion Trait.
 Summation Event: 1. Either +1 Evidence of Insanity or 2. add 2 Defense Sway markers to each Unlocked Juror.
He tended to the wounds of fallen soldiers in Riel's pointless rebellion. Sway Juror #5 two points and +1 to English.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jurors

#5: English Catholic Farmer 1 DAP, 2 Sway Spaces, 2 Prosecution Sway

Evidence:

Traits:

Religion Trait:
Catholic 3

Language Trait:
English 3 *
French 5

Occupation Trait:
Farmer 4
Merchant 5
Government 5

Action Queue:
-- Defense: Play a card for Action Points or Event.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 4, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You should add an asterisk to the English aspect to represent sway. 3 sway markers and it's locked down.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yep, done.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I call to the stand Thomas McKay, Prosecution Witness. He bears witness to seeing the accused attempt to gargle a flagon of live crabs.

Please use action points to reduce English sentiment by 1, and to remove one of the prosecution sway tokens from the juror he placed some on.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Card in question:
Prosecution Witness: Thomas McKay (2 action Points)

Trial in Chief Event: +1 to Evidence of Guilt and +1 to any one aspect
Summation Event: +2 to the English aspect.

Jurors

#5: English Catholic Farmer 1 DAP, 3 Sway Spaces, 1 Prosecution Sway

Evidence:

Traits:

Religion Trait:
Catholic 3

Language Trait:
English 2 **
French 5

Occupation Trait:
Farmer 4
Merchant 5
Government 5

Action Queue:
-- Prosecution: Play a card for Action Points or Event.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 5, 2017

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Prosecution's turn isn't it? I thought it was alternate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yep, just forgot to update.

• Locked thread