Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Campaign, Part 8, Featuring Naboo - Imperial Diplomacy.

Here is the article that I mentioned, it is fascinating to see the two renditions of Naboo side by side.

The Door Frame posted:

I never bothered to try to repair the archives despite always playing an engineer...

I actually HATED this level because of how many overpowered enemies you have to fight basically solo

I was the same on the former point, it was on a whim that I tried repairing, but I did respect the latter decision. Order 66 should not be easy to execute, you're killing goddamned Jedi. It's an effective climax to the first chapter of the game though clumsily handled. Would've been much nicer if we'd had access to the Dark Trooper though, or if allied AI were worth a drat in fighting Jedi.

Cythereal posted:

Eh. I think Jedi are at their best when they're fallible and mortal. Yes, they're capable of superhuman feats, but they're still human or the equivalent thereof and can be taken down by anyone with sufficient skill.

This is why I think a Far Cry/Older Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six style would be best for fighting Jedi. Rather than trying to beat them in a pitched battle, where skill < firepower, it'd be much more interesting to have to plan out assaults and out-think the Jedi. Star Wars Imperial Commando when?

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I was the same on the former point, it was on a whim that I tried repairing, but I did respect the latter decision. Order 66 should not be easy to execute, you're killing goddamned Jedi. It's an effective climax to the first chapter of the game though clumsily handled. Would've been much nicer if we'd had access to the Dark Trooper though, or if allied AI were worth a drat in fighting Jedi.

Eh. I think Jedi are at their best when they're fallible and mortal. Yes, they're capable of superhuman feats, but they're still human or the equivalent thereof and can be taken down by anyone with sufficient skill.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh, the lightning gun design is so... Is it even different from the standard blaster?!

Edit: Beta playthroughs of the Assault on Naboo are on YouTube. I forgot how nasally the droids were.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 10, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Order 66 should not be easy to execute, you're killing goddamned Jedi. It's an effective climax to the first chapter of the game though clumsily handled. Would've been much nicer if we'd had access to the Dark Trooper though, or if allied AI were worth a drat in fighting Jedi.

The clones had an advantage when killing the Jedi because their minds were different from other sentient beings so the Jedi couldn't sense their intentions.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The allied AI are actually quite useful in fighting Jedi in my opinion. The Jedi can only block shots when in a specific pose which costs them stamina while they're in it. Watch the Jedi closely, maybe shoot them once to put them in that pose, then back away and let the AI troops lemming it. When the Jedi drops the block animation, go for the kill. Granted, this doesn't make the AI all that great against Jedi when they aren't near you, but as long as they're not hemorrhaging tickets my only concern is what's happening involving the objectives (E.G. what I'm doing).

White Coke posted:

The clones had an advantage when killing the Jedi because their minds were different from other sentient beings so the Jedi couldn't sense their intentions.
That bit of canon is so dumb. Just leave it as the Jedi being outnumbered hundreds to one, alone against them with no way out, and completely flat footed because they trusted the clones. Otherwise, how the hell did they fight droids? The Jedis' reflexes should be to put the clones inside their circle of defense when the danger sense lights up and the shooting starts, except this once it was the wrong move. Or they were just shocked. Or whatever. There are a lot of reasons why a person wouldn't respond with robotic precision to sudden violence from a heretofore completely trustworthy source.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Something I noticed in the space battles, Herp: bombs do much more damage the further they fall. A high, slow bombing run can destroy a frigate in two passes if you're high enough and every bomb hits - firing them point blank does significantly less damage.

It's one of the things that makes learning each bomber's arc on their bombs (every race's bomber has a different trajectory when firing bombs) important if you fly a bomber a lot.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Complications posted:

That bit of canon is so dumb. Just leave it as the Jedi being outnumbered hundreds to one, alone against them with no way out, and completely flat footed because they trusted the clones. Otherwise, how the hell did they fight droids? The Jedis' reflexes should be to put the clones inside their circle of defense when the danger sense lights up and the shooting starts, except this once it was the wrong move. Or they were just shocked. Or whatever. There are a lot of reasons why a person wouldn't respond with robotic precision to sudden violence from a heretofore completely trustworthy source.

I was sure the canon reason was rather than that the clones minds were biologically different it was that after so long at war the Jedi just stopped thinking of clones as people and didn't bother reading their intentions. But I honestly can't remember if that was from something or not.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

The Clone Wars cartoon retconned it to be chips implanted in their brains that caused Order 66 to happen. The clones that removed their chips,like Captain Rex, didn't betray the Jedi.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
...They really didn't want it to actually be the clones' fault, did they?

Why does everything have to be "No, it's the Sith Lord's fault?" Why can't ordinary people betray and kill Jedi of their own free will?

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
because jedis are pure like my waifu pillows.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Cythereal posted:

...They really didn't want it to actually be the clones' fault, did they?

Why does everything have to be "No, it's the Sith Lord's fault?" Why can't ordinary people betray and kill Jedi of their own free will?

Because it makes less sense if they did.

Fact of the matter is that in the Clone Wars series and to an extent some of the old EU stuff a lot of the clones and Jedi were bros. They'd joke around with each other, seriously worry for the safety of others regardless of whether they were Jedi wanting to protect their troops or subordinates wanting to protect their leaders. There was legitimate camaraderie going between many Jedi generals and their troops.

Now put yourself in the shoes of one of those troopers for a moment when Order 66 happens. An order from a guy comes in over the comms. He is your highest-ranking officer, but you've never met him in person and have only the vaguest sense of attachment to him. He's telling you that your commanding officer that you've fought and bled for for years, that fought alongside you at every step is a traitor and you need to kill him right loving now. No questions, no excuses, they have to die.

There is no way every single clone would follow that order of their own free will. So...you get some insurance. A little chip in their brain that turns off free will for a little while while when the order is given so things like "being a comrade-in-arms" or "respect" or anything like that don't really matter anymore.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Counterpoint, they're vat raised humans(?) that could have been brainwashed as part of their training. And they were constantly getting secret missions from the Empire to undermine their respect and dedication to their jedi counterparts

Furthermore, they don't have to want to kill them, the 501st didn't want the Twilek jedi to be killed, but they kept on with their missions despite knowing their saving grace would be murdered in cold blood

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 9 featuring Mustafar - Preventative Measures.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
I am assuming the bomber you had to steal factors into the actual ground mission somehow?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Door Frame posted:

Counterpoint, they're vat raised humans(?) that could have been brainwashed as part of their training. And they were constantly getting secret missions from the Empire to undermine their respect and dedication to their jedi counterparts

Furthermore, they don't have to want to kill them, the 501st didn't want the Twilek jedi to be killed, but they kept on with their missions despite knowing their saving grace would be murdered in cold blood

I always thought that that was how it went. Like. they were conditioned to eventually betray the Jedi. which is the whole reason for the "This army is for the Republic".
Devotion to the mission/orders regardless of personal feelings is entirely within the realm of "rear end in a top hat Sith acts"

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The Prequels would have made more sense if Palpatine just said "Would you kindly execute order 66".

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I think the clones should have been the army of the Confederacy. They call it the Clone Wars in the original trilogy, and people usually give wars names based on who they fought. They don't call it the Vietnam War in Vietnam.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat

White Coke posted:

I think the clones should have been the army of the Confederacy. They call it the Clone Wars in the original trilogy, and people usually give wars names based on who they fought. They don't call it the Vietnam War in Vietnam.

The French and Indian War.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

White Coke posted:

It shows up in the early Star Wars EU books, too. People naturally assumed the Republic fought an army of evil clones, and in the early EU evil clones and cloning technology were popular superweapons to make villains threats.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

cambrian obelus posted:

The French and Indian War.

But it's only called that in the US and specifically because Americans fought the French and their native American allies?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Some of the EU books had Clones on both sides. But I guess after they'd made the droids the new Storm troopers, they needed to fit clones in there somewhere

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

White Coke posted:

Yeah, I always thought back when Obi-Wan said he and Luke's father were generals.. I thought it was a war of jedi against like.. Evil clone jedi.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Also, using an army of clones is much eviler than an army of droids. It would also put an interesting spin on the stormtroopers, if they were created to supplement an army of droids and were designed in imitation of the armies of clones to better fight them, it makes them a far more interesting symbol of the decay of the Republic into the Empire.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Lucas is incredibly bad at pacing. It's essentially the same problem as angsty Anakin. He wants to show the decline of the Republic, but spends the first movie in the trilogy on a complete tangent and then rushes the decline in the second and third. By making the moral failings of the Republic so obvious it retroactively makes the rebellion seem pretty lovely for wanting to return to it.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I don't recall clones ever being used except by the bad guys in the New Republic era EU, but the bits of information about the Clone Wars only made sense if everyone had been using them. The Katana Fleet was Republic-affiliated but manned by clones, for instance, while there was mention of the Jedi also fighting against clones. I figured that the wars kicked off with everyone throwing endless disposable manpower around since the theoreticians thought that they had everything all figured out until the clones all went mad (would've turned out cloning at scale was different than whatever trial runs they did), then the galaxy's militaries re-unified in the face of having to put their armed forces to the torch. The Empire's initial dissent squashing would've been the military forces, lead by Palpatine, being sick of all the carnage after everything went insane. Or something. The Jedi Order getting eliminated was always a question mark in that theory.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Having the Jedi find out the cloning madness was engineered by Palpatine and stand against the Republic in defence of innocents, the thing they're supposed to do, before being wiped out would have made so much more sense.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 16, 2017

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
i always thought it was Hilarious, that in the Entire Galaxy, no one seemed to have anything like a Standing military. seems like not even planet based ones

and how incredible dumb it was, that the Jedi (Yoda of all people too) effectively alone decided to kick off the war by bringing in the Clones (after basically assaulting geonosis with hundreds of Jedi to boot).
and that is even AFTER they found out how absolutely insanely shady the circumstances of the Clone creation where.

Oh, how i love Star wars :allears:

aaaanyway, to stay remotely ontopic

thanks to you Herp i'm not only playing Battlefleet gothic again, now i play Battlefront 2 also.
though is it just me or is galactic conquest basically unplayable?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Kasrkin posted:

i always thought it was Hilarious, that in the Entire Galaxy, no one seemed to have anything like a Standing military. seems like not even planet based ones

and how incredible dumb it was, that the Jedi (Yoda of all people too) effectively alone decided to kick off the war by bringing in the Clones (after basically assaulting geonosis with hundreds of Jedi to boot).
and that is even AFTER they found out how absolutely insanely shady the circumstances of the Clone creation where.

thanks to you Herp i'm not only playing Battlefleet gothic again, now i play Battlefront 2 also.

All to prop up a failing government over taxation and trade rights. :thumbsup:

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 16, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Kasrkin posted:

Just buy the Garrison bonus for every defensive action and the game basically ends in your favor

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

All to prop up a failing government over taxation and trade rights. :thumbsup:

riiiight, i honestly forgot that these wehre plot points. then again, pretty much the only thing i remember from episode 1 is the really good looking fight at the end with Maul

The Door Frame posted:

Just buy the Garrison bonus for every defensive action and the game basically ends in your favor

huh, i somehow totally forgot this was a thing, far more manageable now, thanks for the tip

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Star Wars prequels confirmed neoconfederate Lost Cause apologia.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 10 featuring Mustafar - Tying up loose ends.

Kasrkin posted:

For what its worth, I thought Galactic Conquest was better in Battlefront 1, but I've not played that game in over 10 years. That and I'm just editing the last part for Battlefleet Gothic, having now finished it makes me really sad to see it go. :smith:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 11 featuring Kamino - Changing of the Guard.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Oh man, Battlefront 2! I loved this game as a teenager. Wasted so many Saturdays with some friends playing conquest. Are the servers still up? I kind of want to dig up my old copy now.

Small note about heroes that I noticed in the last video: All heroes have a constantly draining lightsaber/health bar, even in the campaign.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Kamino was always one of my favourite maps to play. Just so much flexibility for play types exist on the map. And the implications this mission has in the canon is really cool too.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Complications posted:

I don't recall clones ever being used except by the bad guys in the New Republic era EU, but the bits of information about the Clone Wars only made sense if everyone had been using them. The Katana Fleet was Republic-affiliated but manned by clones, for instance, while there was mention of the Jedi also fighting against clones. I figured that the wars kicked off with everyone throwing endless disposable manpower around since the theoreticians thought that they had everything all figured out until the clones all went mad (would've turned out cloning at scale was different than whatever trial runs they did), then the galaxy's militaries re-unified in the face of having to put their armed forces to the torch. The Empire's initial dissent squashing would've been the military forces, lead by Palpatine, being sick of all the carnage after everything went insane. Or something. The Jedi Order getting eliminated was always a question mark in that theory.

when Thrawn recommissuioned the Katana fleet he used clones. But the fleet's main strength was that it was heavily automated. It only took 2000 a warship instead of the usual 16000 for a comparable warship

Until, you know, someone went space-crazy and shot the whole thing into deep space.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

when Thrawn recommissuioned the Katana fleet he used clones. But the fleet's main strength was that it was heavily automated. It only took 2000 a warship instead of the usual 16000 for a comparable warship

Until, you know, someone went space-crazy and shot the whole thing into deep space.

The best part about the Katana fleet was that Thrawn just wanted to use them to hunt smugglers and pirates instead of having to use Star Destroyers. They weren't some special fleet of super weapons, he just needed as many ships as he could get.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Herp, pretty sure it isn't the same jailbreak as ANH. (In fact, a latter level or two proves it)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 12 featuring The Death Star - Prison Break.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Herp, pretty sure it isn't the same jailbreak as ANH. (In fact, a latter level or two proves it)

Yeah, I forgot this was in the world before Rogue One, so its all about the theft of the plans.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Campaign, Part 12 featuring The Death Star - Prison Break.

Yeah, I forgot this was in the world before Rogue One, so its all about the theft of the plans.

One of many stories about the theft of the plans.

Kyle Katarn supremacy dammit!

EDIT: No comment on the conference room? For shame. Box droid is a gonk droid.

• Locked thread