Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Star Wars Battlefront 2
is a first person/third person shooter developed by Dice in collaboration with Criterion and Motive Studios who are handling the campaign. It is a large scale kinda Battlefield-esque game in the Star Wars universe, with massive battles spanning all three eras. Its plot centers around Inferno Squad, an elite group of Imperial troops loyal to Emperor Palpatine, even after his death at the Battle of Endor, covering the death of the Empire and the formation of the First Order. It features a noted set of improvements from the previous game, Star Wars Battlefront, including the actual presence of a single-player campaign and space battles.

Star Wars Battlefront 2
on the other hand, is a first person/third person shooter developed by Pandemic Studios. It is a large scale kinda Battlefield-esque game in the Star Wars universe, with massive battles spanning all two eras. Its plot centers around the 501st Legion, an elite group of Imperial troops loyal to Emperor Palpatine, even before his ascent to the title from the position of Chancellor, covering the death of the Republic and the formation of the Empire. It features a noted set of improvements from the previous game, Star Wars Battlefront, including the actual presence of a single-player campaign and space battles.

The new Battlefront 2 and the old one are extremely similar in the stories they tell, both being from the Imperial perspective most notably, and while I'm very excited for it this thread is dedicated to the older sequel. Star Wars Battlefront 2 Senior. I'll be going through all 18 missions (and the tutorial) of the original campaign which showcase the Republic and Empire units, plus Galactic Conquest to show off the Rebels and the Droids.

Only one rule: No untagged spoilers for any new Star Wars media. Some folks haven't caught up. Discuss the old films as much as you'd like, but if a new book or series comes out, put it behind spoiler tags and say where it came from. I've not had the chance to read the new Thrawn book!

Table of Contents:

Tutorial - Attack of the Clones (Geonosis)

Campaign, Part 1 - Among the Ruins (Mygeeto) (Copyright free)

Campaign, Part 2 - A Desperate Rescue (Coruscant)

Campaign, Part 3 - Heart of Darkness (Felucia)

Campaign, Part 4 - First Line of Defence (Kashyyyk)

Campaign, Part 5 - Line in the Sand (Kashyyyk)

Campaign, Part 6 - Underground Ambush (Utapau)

Campaign, Part 7 - Knightfall (Coruscant)

Campaign, Part 8 - Imperial Diplomacy (Naboo)

Campaign, Part 9 - Preventative Measures (Mustafar)

Campaign, Part 10 - Tying Up Loose Ends (Mustafar)

Campaign, Part 11 - Changing of the Guard (Kamino)

Campaign, Part 12 - Prison Break (Death Star)

Campaign, Part 13 - Birth of the Rebellion (Polis Massa)

Campaign, Part 14 - Recovering the Plans (Tantive IV)

Campaign, Part 15 - Vader's Fist Strikes Back (Yavin IV)

Campaign, Part 16 - Revenge of the Empire (Yavin IV)

Campaign, Finale - Our Finest Hour (Hoth)

Heroes and Villains - Mos Eisley Assault and Battlefront (New)

Hunt Mode, Part 1 - Endor, Geonosis, Hoth (Copyright Free)

Hunt Mode, Part 2 - Kashyyyk, Tatooine and Naboo

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Will you be playing the newer BF2 as well?

Yes, I'm a sucker for Star Wars. If I can find a copy, I'll also be looking at Battlefront (original) on PS2 and later on to fill time inbetween this and BF2 new I'll be looking at Battlefront (new) and its VR X-Wing mission.

Lunethex posted:

Does the online in this still work?

Yes, with Game Ranger. Not natively since that ran on Gamespy and the servers shut down.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 1, featuring Mygeeto - Among the Ruins.

Senerio posted:

You started this thread a day early. :colbert:

I wanted it to be out there for May 4th and I couldn't be bothered staying up until midnight for it. Probably the right day in some timezones!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Is that Temuera Morrison as the narrator?

I believe so, and he's fantastic at it.

warhammer651 posted:

I fondly remember playing Galactic Conquest in this. Kinda miss some of the old maps though, Bespin Platforms was always great for a laugh.

gently caress Polis Masa-grad though.

Yeah, Battlefront 1 had some fantastic maps. I prefer the original Hoth to the BF2 iteration, and Bespin Platforms was fantastic fun to mess about with all the aircraft.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Good times. Never was an overly popular game, but I enjoyed my time with it.

I'm not sure on PC, but on console it shifted a million units at launch between the Xbox and PS2, and that's with only two months of sales. I didn't know anybody who didn't have Battlefront 2, it's probably the most recognisable and iconic Star Wars game among console gamers of the time.

E: I can't watch my own video because of the Star Wars theme. I'll edit the video, make the currently uploaded one unlisted and make a public version without the theme.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 5, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 2, featuring Coruscant: A Desperate Rescue.

The Door Frame posted:

Battlefront 2 is still my gold standard for shooters

I love Battlefront 2, but it is not a good shooter by design. It's a great Star War rather than being a tight shooter, focusing more on selling the setting and most importantly being fun. I'd not hold it as a gold standard for shooters, but definitely as a gold standard for media tie-in games

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

Are you going to show off XL battles and the Mos Eisley Assault?

I am showing off everything. If I miss something unique, please let me know because this game actually has so much stuff in it that is eminently missable.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

A look at Space battles in the vein of Battlefront 2.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 3, featuring Felucia - Heart of Darkness.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I changed account before clicking public. :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 4, featuring Kashyyyk - First Line of Defence.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Samovar posted:

Why are you so upset about the name of the droid fighter, Herp? It's like poetry; it rhymes.

The very notion makes me sick. Just as bad as going through my favourite training canyon.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 5, featuring Kashyyyk - Line in the Sand.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 6, featuring Utapau - Underground Ambush.

RickVoid posted:

I'd really love a Romance of the Three Kingdoms LP, though. Your ROTK X stream was great.

I'll be doing a lot more ROTK X streams for the near future, partly in planning for a big China Game LP. I played through Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom a few months ago and beat the ROTK XIII story mode, just got started with Dynasty Warriors 8 and heard about the Kessen series quite recently. In other words:

Atomikus posted:

Now's not the proper time for that

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 7, featuring Coruscant - Knightfall.

paragon1 posted:

Turns out i did not recall correctly. NEXT mission is the best mission.

I have issues with the mission as shown in the video, but it is cool as heck.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 8, Featuring Naboo - Imperial Diplomacy.

Here is the article that I mentioned, it is fascinating to see the two renditions of Naboo side by side.

The Door Frame posted:

I never bothered to try to repair the archives despite always playing an engineer...

I actually HATED this level because of how many overpowered enemies you have to fight basically solo

I was the same on the former point, it was on a whim that I tried repairing, but I did respect the latter decision. Order 66 should not be easy to execute, you're killing goddamned Jedi. It's an effective climax to the first chapter of the game though clumsily handled. Would've been much nicer if we'd had access to the Dark Trooper though, or if allied AI were worth a drat in fighting Jedi.

Cythereal posted:

Eh. I think Jedi are at their best when they're fallible and mortal. Yes, they're capable of superhuman feats, but they're still human or the equivalent thereof and can be taken down by anyone with sufficient skill.

This is why I think a Far Cry/Older Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six style would be best for fighting Jedi. Rather than trying to beat them in a pitched battle, where skill < firepower, it'd be much more interesting to have to plan out assaults and out-think the Jedi. Star Wars Imperial Commando when?

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 10, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 9 featuring Mustafar - Preventative Measures.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 10 featuring Mustafar - Tying up loose ends.

Kasrkin posted:

thanks to you Herp i'm not only playing Battlefleet gothic again, now i play Battlefront 2 also.
though is it just me or is galactic conquest basically unplayable?

For what its worth, I thought Galactic Conquest was better in Battlefront 1, but I've not played that game in over 10 years. That and I'm just editing the last part for Battlefleet Gothic, having now finished it makes me really sad to see it go. :smith:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 11 featuring Kamino - Changing of the Guard.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 12 featuring The Death Star - Prison Break.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Herp, pretty sure it isn't the same jailbreak as ANH. (In fact, a latter level or two proves it)

Yeah, I forgot this was in the world before Rogue One, so its all about the theft of the plans.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 21, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Campaign, Part 12 featuring The Death Star - Prison Break.

Yeah, I forgot this was in the world before Rogue One, so its all about the theft of the plans.

It grabbed the edit link rather than the video link, changed it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 13, featuring Polis Massa - Birth of the Rebellion.

On an unrelated note, I'll be streaming games every day for a few weeks, this week being dedicated to Shadow of Mordor. No Star Wars games are included in the poll for next week's game but that can be changed for the week after if anyone has a good suggestion.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 14, featuring Tantive IV - Recovering the plans.

Veloxyll posted:

Bothan spies are also in Rebellion

Yeah, but they never had a 3D model, just an image.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They were in Empire at War.

Fun fact: I thought Empire at War was Star Wars Battlefront 2. At first I was confused as to why they'd made Battlefront an RTS, but the trailer looked amazing on the Episode 3 DVD. Turns out I was highlighting the wrong one all along and didn't realise it until Battlefront 2 turned out to be a third person shooter!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 15 featuring Yavin IV - Vader's Fist Strikes Back. Also featuring the worlds worst Victory II design.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cythereal posted:

It sounds like an odd thing to praise this game for, but one of the things that made Battlefront 2 so memorable to me was the story. It's a simple and effective narrative framing device, and the voice actor does a wonderful job of sounding so tired and done with this poo poo. Also an element of tragedy, too, you know full well he's most likely one of the many nameless, faceless stormtroopers who died in the movies or was on board some ship or station the Rebels blew up.

Yup, Temuera Morrison is bloody brilliant as a narrator. I'd love for him to do some audiobooks. Anthony Daniels, C3PO himself, has read the Thrawn Trilogy and was superb.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 16 featuring Yavin IV - Revenge of the Empire.

As we're nearing the end, Galactic Conquest too draws near. Out of the four factions, which would you like to see first in Galactic Conquest?

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 3, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Finale Featuring Hoth - Our Finest Hour.

And so ends the first leg of Battlefront 2 the original: a campaign of limited scope that did a serviceable job of introducing players to the game. A notable fact that I've just realised is that it never forces you into any gimmicky nonsense nor any forced vehicle segments, that blows my mind nowadays.

Right now it appears the Rebel Alliance is ahead for Galactic Conquest, I'll begin recording for that next week so if people want Droids more, now's the time to speak up. Regular uploads will continue with some of the tertiary gameplay modes only accessible via Instant Action.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That back section of the map is also open on the Wampa hunt mode, which is incidentally an incredibly fun time.

Speaking of Hunt mode, I've recorded that and all of the other incidental fun Instant Action modes, would you like to either:

A: See all Hunt modes in one video (40 Minutes) or

B: See each Hunt separately

They're all at most 10 minutes per Hunt map and there are 6 of them, some of them (Geonosis and Kashyyyk) are are really fast. Also, would you like to see Battlefront 1 content (New) now or in between Galactic Conquests?

If you're at all interested in playing Battlefront 1 (New) on PC, grab Origin Access. It's a brilliant deal for the full experience, at £20 for one year's access to that game and many others soon including Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 (new). That's how I'm playing it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

IronSaber posted:

Herpicle, I enjoyed your LP of Battlefront, but for the love of all that is good and holy PLEASE learn to autoduck your own narration so I don't have to constantly blast my speakers in order to hear what Temuera Morrison is saying.

I'm fairly sure I didn't talk over the narration at all, and if so for only a couple incidental words. Could you point me to where I hosed up so I can cut myself out and re-upload?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cythereal posted:

It's been a thing throughout the LP. The narrator's voice is far, far softer than your own. Like IronSaber, I've been cranking up my volume during the intros and outros to hear the narrator before returning them to normal for your speaking.

Huh, I thought (and still think) the balance is spot on, but I'll heed the advice here. I'll boost the intros and outros of every video to compensate when it comes time for archival. Kinda wish I could do that directly via youtube to skip re-uploading but :shrug:

E: Since this is on a new page I may as well say this here: I gently caress up a lot and have weird preferences so if there are any long standing issues like this, please say so and I can fix it immediately rather than after the fact, I don't bite!

oh god I just tried listening to a video on my iPad and that is god awful

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 9, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Heroes and Villains - Mos Eisley Assault and Battlefront (New)

Tried shifting the audio balance somewhat, though it's less important here than during the campaign.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Didn't you pay as Boba on kamino?

Wasn't sure off the top of my head if it was Jango or Boba, they both play pretty identically anyway.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Hunt Mode, Part 1 featuring hunts on Endor, Geonosis and Hoth.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Herp, I think you uploaded it twice

Nope, one has the Ewok theme cut out because it's covered by loving copyright so I again couldn't even view my own video. I'll be adding a link when I'm back at my computer.

Copyright Free - Hunt Mode, Part 1

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 12, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Hunt Mode, Part 2 featuring Kashyyyk, Tatooine and Naboo.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Galactic Conquest - 1 (Rebel Start)

Galactic Conquest begins and it's kinda messy and buggy. Old games are old and Galactic Conquest has not aged well.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Galactic Conquest - 2

The campaign continues as the Rebel Alliance pushes ever onward towards the Imperial base. An important decision looms: Build a defensive fleet, just in case the enemy even comes close to seeing victory at Hoth, or continue unlocking new classes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

So I suffered hard drive failure and lost all the source campaign videos and the rest of the Rebel Galactic Conquest, so fixing the old videos is out of the question and frankly I cannot make Galactic Conquest interesting solo. I'll get this LP archived and then lock the thread, hopefully coming back for New Battlefront 2. Want me to rub even more salt into my own wounds? I popped £15 and travelled specifically to play the Star Wars Battle Pod and do a full LP of that. My camera died on Death Star 2 and the video was corrupted. :suicide:

(it was fun as poo poo though, go out and try that battle pod)

• Locked thread