Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Pastry and I had some discussion about this and decided that going forward, the c-word won't be allowed in PYF. Other subforums have chosen to do the same thing. Now we all know that non-American English-speaking countries use this word in a very different context, but in the interest of keeping PYF as welcoming as possible we're going to ask everyone to not use it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Please do not derail threads arguing about the upcoming US presidential election.

I trust you're all smart enough to know the kind of derails that we're talking about - slapfights about whether people should vote for one candidate over another. There are several reasons we want to keep this out of PYF, the main ones of which are:

- It doesn't accomplish anything. Nobody's mind is going to be changed because of the PYF Funny Pictures thread, and evangelizing about your political opinion there is time and energy better spent elsewhere.
- We already have lots of places to discuss this! There are entire subforums talking about the upcoming election, with a whole bunch of different threads. I'm sure if you look you'll find one appropriate for the thing you wanted to post!
- Non-US goons care even less. I can't imagine what it must be like for them when this sort of thing sucks all the air out of a thread.

So, please use your best judgement and avoid starting or engaging in these kind of derails. And honestly PYF hasn't had that big of an issue with this lately (at least not the threads I regularly read), but as we head into fall I think it's best if we get this on the record.

Now, of course, there's the question of what constitutes a politics derail and what is politics-adjacent thread content. Again, I trust you are all smart enough to make the distinction, but if you have any questions, Pastry and my PMs are always open! To give some guidelines though, consider this:

This kind of post is perfectly fine:

Yes it's political but it's in line with the thread (memes) and is not particularly hostile, negative, or likely to provoke a derail. A post containing seventeen memes about how one oft he political paries is horrible would not be okay, though. If someone posted something like that, they are probably trying to evangelize or provoke a derail and they should be reported so that Pastry and I can take a look and make a judgement.

Ultimately, this rule (such as it is) is intended to keep PYF the chill, fun place we all want it to be. Please feel free to PM either of us if you want to double check if a post would be too political or not!