Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

quote:

The Ice Hockey World Championships are an annual international men's ice hockey tournament organized by the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF). First officially held at the 1920 Summer Olympics, it is the sport's highest profile annual international tournament.

The IIHF was created in 1908 while the European Championships, the precursor to the World Championships, were first held in 1910. The tournament held at the 1920 Summer Olympics is recognized as the first Ice Hockey World Championship. Between 1920 and 1968, the Olympic hockey tournament was also considered the World Championship for that year. The first World Championship that was held as an individual event was in 1930 in which twelve nations participated. In 1931, ten teams played a series of round-robin format qualifying rounds to determine which nations participated in the medal round. Medals were awarded based on the final standings of the teams in the medal round. This basic format would be used until 1992 (although small variations were made). In 1951, thirteen nations took part and were split into two groups. The top seven teams (Pool A) played for the World Championship. The other six (Pool B) played for ranking purposes. During a congress in 1990, the IIHF introduced a playoff system. As the IIHF grew, more teams began to participate at the World Championships, so more pools (later renamed divisions) were introduced.

The modern format for the World Championship features 16 teams in the championship group, 12 teams in Division I and 12 teams in Division II. If there are more than 40 teams, the rest compete in Division III. The teams in the championship play a preliminary round, then the top eight teams play in the playoff medal round and the winning team is crowned World Champion. Over the years, the tournament has gone through several rule changes. In 1969 body-checking in all three zones in a rink was allowed, helmets and goaltender masks became mandatory in the early 1970s and in 1992 the IIHF began using the shootout. The current IIHF rules differ slightly from the rules used in the NHL. The World Championships have been open to all players, both professional and amateur, since 1977. The IIHF requires that players are citizens of the country they represent and allow players to switch national teams provided that they play in their new nation for a certain period of time.

Canada was the tournament's first dominant team, winning the tournament 12 times between 1930 and 1952. The United States, Czechoslovakia, Sweden, Great Britain and Switzerland were also competitive during this period. The Soviet Union first participated in 1954 and soon became rivals with Canada. From 1963 until the nation's breakup in 1991, the Soviet Union was the dominant team, winning 20 championships. During that period, only three other nations won medals: Canada, Czechoslovakia and Sweden. Russia first participated in 1992 and the Czech Republic and Slovakia began competing in 1993. In the 2000s, the competition became more open as the "Big Six" teams[1] – Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Russia, Sweden, and the United States – as well as Slovakia became more evenly matched.

As this tournament takes place during the same time period as the NHL's Stanley Cup playoffs, many of the best players do not participate, and it is considered secondary in importance among North American fans and players to the Stanley Cup. Thus, NHL players generally only participate once their respective team is eliminated from Stanley Cup contention.

quote:

The 2017 IIHF World Championship will be hosted by Paris, France, and Cologne, Germany, from 5 to 21 May 2017. The official tournament mascots are Asterix and Obelix, the main characters from the popular French comic book series The Adventures of Asterix.[1] The logo incorporates the silhouette of deceased German national team goaltender Robert Müller, who succumbed to a brain tumor at just 28 years of age.[2] German tennis player Angelique Kerber,[3] 1. FC Köln and German Olympic soccer team goalkeeper Timo Horn[4] and Paris Saint-Germain F.C.'s Brazilian winger Lucas Moura[5] have been named celebrity ambassadors for the event.

The official tournament anthem is "Playground" by German dance music group Cascada.[6]

Schedule: http://www.iihfworlds2017.com/en/games/

Full rosters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_IIHF_World_Championship_rosters

Anyway, there's that. Some of the games should be on NHL Network or TSN or Sportsnet or whatever the gently caress you watch up north. With NHL players not going to the Olympics because the NHL is the NHL, this is the only top level international hockey we'll see for quite some time.

Typically the WC is a strong tournament in the Olympic -1 year, because NHL players are trying to prove their devotion to their country by playing in what is typically a tier-2 competition. With the Olympics not being a consideration, I was expecting this not to be the case, but the rosters are actually pretty good!

Notable players from each team

:911:

Johnny Gaudreau
Jacob Trouba
Jack Eichel
Clayton Keller
Dylan Larkin
Connor Hellebuyck
Noah Hanifin
Danny DeKeyser
Anders Lee
Brock Nelson

HC: Jeff Blashill (gently caress)
AC: Jack Capuano (gently caress)

Just by virtue of Gaudreau and Eichel, this is one of the best US teams in years. The depth is pretty solid too with Lee and Nelson. If Hellebuyck plays well, they'll be in medal contention.

:canada:

Tyson Barrie
Claude Giroux
Matt Duchene
Wayne Simmonds
Nathan MacKinnon
Jeff Skinner
Mark Scheifele
Ryan O'Reilly
Mitchell Marner
Sean Couturier

HC: Jon Cooper
AC: Gallant, Hakstol, Dave King

It turns out if you combine the Flyers and Avalanche you have a good team. The goaltending might be an issue but Pickard/Johnson is enough for this team to repeat. Definitely the favorite.

:sweden:

John Klingberg
Joel Eriksson Ek
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
William Nylander
Elias Lindholm
Victor Rask
Gabriel Landeskog
William Karlsson
Victor Hedman
Anton Stralman

This is the strongest Swedish team at the WC, maybe ever. Stacked on D and deep up front, it's hard to see them not contending unless their goaltending lets them down. Which of course it could because Lack/Fasth/Svedberg.

:ussr:

Sergei Mozyakin
Artemi Panarin
Ivan Provorov
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Nikita Kucherov
Valeri Nichushkin
Ilya Sorokin
Vladislav Namestnikov
Evgenii Dadonov

Really strong goaltending between Vasilevskiy and Sorokin, but this is a pretty weak Russian roster. A lot of their better NHL players are still in the playoffs, or didn't come, and even KHL stars like Kovalchuk and Datsyuk declined. That being said, they're still capable of contending.

:finland:

Sebastian Aho
Valtteri Filppula
Mikko Rantanen
Julius Honka
Jesse Puljujärvi
Miro Aaltonen
Joonas Korpisalo

Not exactly a group of world beaters, but it's Finland so they'll be competitive.

:eurovision:

Radko Gudas
Michal Kempny
Roman Cervenka
Petr Mrazek
Tomas Plekanec
Jan Kovar
Jakub Voracek
David Pastrnak

This is actually a pretty good Czech team for this tournament. If Mrazek gets hot they could do some damage.

Other notable players:

Jonas Hiller, Damien Brunner - Switzerland (Tommy Albelin is an assistant coach and that's cool)
Tobias Reider, Thomas Greiss - :hitler: (Marco Sturm coaching)
Patrick Thoresen - :norway:
Antoine Roussel, Johann Auvitu, Pierre-Édouard Bellemare - :france:
Andrei Kostitsyn, Sergei Kostitsyn - :belarus: (Dave Lewis coaching)
Zemgus Girgensons - Latvia (coached by Bob Hartley!)
Nikolaj Ehlers - :denmark:

Slovakia looks really bad, like relegation bad if :italy: wasn't around.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Lots of Jets players going to the worlds, but not Laine. He chose not to go because of all the hockey he played in the last year and he didn't have a full off season last year due to injury.

Also I assume the Danish team would want to perform well before they host next year, but not many NHLers are going. It seems to be team Ehlers. Taking the year off before all going next year?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Apparently Krejci might be going as well. That's a strong Czech team.

Yeah I'm not sure why at least some of the younger NHL Danes didn't go like Bjorkstrand.

e:

:canada: lines in their exhibition

Skinner-Scheifele-O'Reilly
MacKinnon-Giroux-Duchene
Killorn-Couturier-Simmonds
Schenn/Konecny-Point-Marner

de Haan-Barrie
Matheson-Demers
Lee-Morrissey
Card

Johnson/Pickard

PP units

Giroux-Simmonds-Schenn-Skinner-Matheson
Scheifele-MacKinnon-Duchene-O'Reilly-Barrie

Card was just there for the exhibition game. KHLer Chris Lee will be the 7th d-man.

annnnd the :911: lines

Lee-Eichel-Gaudreau
Bjugstad-Larkin-Nelson
Compher-Copp-Greenway
Dvorak-Schmaltz-Keller/Bjork

Murphy-DeKeyser
Trouba-Hanifin
TVR-Brickley

Howard/Hellebuyck

That fourth line could potentially do some damage. Keller and Dvorak are no joke.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 4, 2017

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
gotta think canada is the favorite but that usa top six isn't bad

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I guess we can add Vegas Golden Knight Vadim Shipachyov to the notable players from Team Russia.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Connor murphy being some international play superstar is really weird

That usa squad is huge though. more than half the team is 6'2 or taller

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Sweden/Russia and Finland/Belarus kick things off in about 35 minutes.

The US plays at 2:15 EST against Germany. Canada kicks off around the same time against the Czechs.

The games will be streamed I'm sure and you guys know where to find them.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
lmao Edler just took the biggest charge at Dadanov it was like a Tom Wilson special

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Reminder that the IIHF streams the games on its youtube channel, although some games will be geoblocked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJlIP1OqsM

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
why is Edler turning into Scott Stevens

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I thought Marchand was going to the Worlds, did they decide not to take him for some reason?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

why is Edler turning into Scott Stevens

I would be okay with him doing this. He's strong as hell but plays incredibly passively st times. When he throws his weight around and leans into slapshots he's a much more exciting player (albeit more prone to exciting defensive gaffes).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

I would be okay with him doing this. He's strong as hell but plays incredibly passively st times. When he throws his weight around and leans into slapshots he's a much more exciting player (albeit more prone to exciting defensive gaffes).

he's been killing Russians all night

That was a great 3 on 3 -- Panarin/Kucherov is fun to watch

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Vasilevskiy was money all night. Really composed.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
IIHF P-P-P-P-POWER RANKINGS!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I guess im just American but man this is the worst box score in the world to parse. It just looks like they hosed up the alignment

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hifi posted:

I guess im just American but man this is the worst box score in the world to parse. It just looks like they hosed up the alignment

oh god :psyduck: that hurts to try to read

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

hifi posted:

I think its Cyrillic.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Jimmy Howard is...elite?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Oh boy, we're gonna get clowned by Germany again, aren't we?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Gaudreau is getting chances at will, feels like it's just a matter of time -- he's so far and way the best player on the ice.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Canadas lead is very undeserved, Czech Republic looks really good.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The US did look ok until this period good god they look bad now, their D has the worst gaps

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

German unis look cool except for the giant kick me sign on the front of the helmets

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Lmao the spotlight on the skoda

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
annnnd Gaudreau is hurt on a cheapshot good tournament

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
wow how is that not a loving 5

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

gaudreau started the period so i guess he's fine. it was a cheap shot but the primary point of contact was with the torso.

this game is getting chippy though

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
iihf all-star connor murphy

hifi posted:

gaudreau started the period so i guess he's fine. it was a cheap shot but the primary point of contact was with the torso.

this game is getting chippy though

woulda been a 5 in the NHL imo

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
All puck, IIHF refereeing back at it again

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

drat i just saw the murphy goal. sniped it through 3 germans low glove side. do that poo poo over here once in a while

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Keller looked OK, but Eichel has to be a lot better if the US is going to do anything, I'd think about splitting up him and Gaudreau, he was watching Johnny all night.

also lol at Gudas socking Giroux in the face

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

<-- This handsome man dressed but got no TOI. :rip:

Kilza fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 5, 2017

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The USA was beat by this guy:

https://twitter.com/MrDanHu/status/860546025546801153

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

momfortrump

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Thoresen the Thundergod!

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Guys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ROyDF5ssvA

4-1 France over Finland, 3 minutes left.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The arena is shaking so bad the camera is bouncing.

e: rejecting the player of the game award to give it to his goalie. what a wonderful moment :allears:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Powershift posted:

The arena is shaking so bad the camera is bouncing.

e: rejecting the player of the game award to give it to his goalie. what a wonderful moment :allears:

The French crowd booing Bellemare getting player of the game ruled.

• Locked thread