Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange sky
May 7, 2007

I loved this show. Absolutely love it. This is what you get for only listening to US viewers. This was popular, but all aroumd the world. It's been a worldwide trending hashtag all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
So disappointing, I had just watched another episode last night. I think I'll finish the last 5 I have this week even with the cliffhanger ending I've heard about.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

gently caress it all to poo poo

gently caress

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This show gave me bigger feels on the regular than any show outside of Very Special Episodes and I really wanted to see more

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Sad to hear this show is getting cancelled after that S2 finale but like other have said the budget for this show must have been ridiculous.

Netflix execs please spin off a low budget sitcom following the ordinary lives of Lito, Hernando and Daniela tia.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There's a change dot org petition up. Can't seem to get the link posted on this device

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
well poo poo on me

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Straczynski says it's contractually not possible for any other network/service to pick up the show. Sounds like there's no prying the rights from Netflix, even if they won't do anything further with them. Which is business as usual but still stinks.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Such a shame that they are canceling this. It is a very unique and different show from anything else I'm watching.

I don't understand though.... They got a Christmas special and they ended the season in a cliffhanger with quite a few story threads left unfinished. Aren't those signs that they had some reassurance from the network that they like the show and it was secured to continue in another season? Wasn't there any back and forth with Netflix about how likely it was to get another season, so as to adjust the storytelling in the current one accordingly?

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
So i basically cancelled my Netflix account over this because, i know there's other good shows, but eff this. I also put in "Sense8 season 3" in the "what shows should come to netflix" suggestion box; i called their customer service; i tweeted at them; i do not want to be denied a Nomanita wedding.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Eagerly anticipating Netflix cancelling Bojack Horseman and Black Mirror too.

TinTower posted:

After all, it needed a sequel as much as Titanic did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxHNztg0X3s

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 2, 2017

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Apparently the budget for this was around $9 million an episode, so yeah good luck on Internet outrage changing their minds.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

MiddleOne posted:

Eagerly anticipating Netflix cancelling...Black Mirror too.
This but unironically. I couldn't make it through two complete episodes of that.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Lupus Rufus posted:

So i basically cancelled my Netflix account over this because, i know there's other good shows, but eff this. I also put in "Sense8 season 3" in the "what shows should come to netflix" suggestion box; i called their customer service; i tweeted at them; i do not want to be denied a Nomanita wedding.

I cancelled and tweeted at them too heh.

BrianWilly posted:

This but unironically. I couldn't make it through two complete episodes of that.

I hope you mean Bojack Horseman

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Twitter responses on the Netflix account are a riot. Way to piss of the prestige drama and LGBT crowd in one fell swoop.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Were there any reactions or comments from the Wachowski's or the cast to this news yet?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sense8 is okay but prestige drama is fuckin' pushing it.

Honestly im not that mad or surprised at this call.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How the hell is it not a prestige drama.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Um, a lot of people can't handle character driven dramas when they don't have a weird scifi premise. People into scifi poo poo disproportionately prefer plot-driven poo poo to character driven poo poo.

The audience for this show is people who like character bits, don't mind glacial plot pacing, and arent turned off by constant what many consider to be constant cliches. And also don't mind heady scifi conciets.

I love this show to death. I think it's amazing. But a huge chunk of people tuned out as soon as the big lubed up dildo hit the floor 30 seconds into the first episode.

The climax of season 1 is a bunch of graphic birthing sequences.

Let's not pretended the average viewer is ready for this show.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's just Wachowski's wish fulfillment with a lame conspiracy b-plot mixed in. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think it's quite enough for "prestige drama", whatever that is. I actually quite enjoyed S1, but neither the Christmas special nor the season so far (I'm at E7) really did much for me. I dunno what it is, was it always this sappy?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

How the hell is it not a prestige drama.

Its simply not good enough, and the only unique thing about the show was the casting choices and some character traits. Prestige drama implies this show was ever rising avove the level of a b-level netflix time waster and it definitely never did.

Stranger Things isn't prestige drama either but it and House Of Cards are the closest thing Netflix has to prestige shows and is probably the bar a show needs to pass going forward. I get that people are mad their favorite show is ending but if you're less attached to it, it makes pretty good sense this didnt make it very long. Sense8 was just more carb heavy wachowski cheese and that's cool and all, but it has no legs and is prestigious as nothing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's no actual definition of the term, so isn't this a bit pointless?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

basic hitler posted:

Its simply not good enough

That's not even remotely what the prestige part of prestige drama implies.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

basic hitler posted:

Its simply not good enough

MiddleOne posted:

That's not even remotely what the prestige part of prestige drama implies.

I mean, yeah, despite what I just said, "prestige television" is really more of a description of a show's genre, rather than a description of its quality.

i.e. there's a lot of bad prestige television. Being prestige doesn't make something good, it just describes an aesthetic it maintains -- usually based on how much money was thrown at the show and what channel it was airing on.

I can name plenty of poo poo prestige shows off the top of my head right now -- Tyrant, Ice, The Returned, Damien, House Of Cards (US), The Walking Dead, Fear The Walking Dead, Camelot, Vinyl, ect. ect. ect.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 2, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I somehow keep forgetting that Walking Dead was actually ambitious with its first season instead of a horrible garbage fire.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

qbert posted:

Apparently the budget for this was around $9 million an episode, so yeah good luck on Internet outrage changing their minds.
That's a slightly elevated budget for something that doesn't come with anything grand in special effects.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's a slightly elevated budget for something that doesn't come with anything grand in special effects.

They travel all around the world necessarily with at least 8 of the main cast - might as well invest in some sets that resemble the countries instead of going there, but no

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
They could've at least given us half a season for the price of that Death Note remake that literally nobody ever wanted.

But yeah, cancelling The Get Down and sense8 within two weeks doesn't look good on Netflix when poo poo like Riverdale gets renewed.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

orange sky posted:

They travel all around the world necessarily with at least 8 of the main cast - might as well invest in some sets that resemble the countries instead of going there, but no

If I was a Wachowski and Netflix was all like "how would you spend a pile of money?", i'd be all like "globetrotting idiot, duh" *writes ~10 country script*

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TinTower posted:

They could've at least given us half a season for the price of that Death Note remake that literally nobody ever wanted.

But yeah, cancelling The Get Down and sense8 within two weeks doesn't look good on Netflix when poo poo like Riverdale gets renewed.

Riverdale isn't a netflix original. And let's be honest here sure this show was probably of a higher quality than other Netflix shows, but it never even reached the popularity of a stranger things or 13 reasons why at all (I like stranger things, 13 reasons why is poo poo but that doesn't mean it's not popular as gently caress).

I haven't watched the second season yet because it's been like 2 years since the first one and I kinda forgot everything about it, but I do remember a lot of the acting being hit or miss and some cringe line readings. It also always felt like a huge wachowski power fantasy.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
My point about Death Note still stands; like, it's 2017. Who the literal gently caress asked for this.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TinTower posted:

My point about Death Note still stands; like, it's 2017. Who the literal gently caress asked for this.

It's still like the most mainstream (read: non-weabo or children demographic) any young adult manga has ever gotten so if you're going to try why not go for the top. Of course this thing is still going to inevitably be garbage since they're adapting it into a movie which uh... Yeah.

It'll probably still be more motivated than the Ghost in the Shell adaptation.

TinTower posted:

But yeah, cancelling The Get Down and sense8 within two weeks doesn't look good on Netflix

In retrospect it seems like cancelling Marco Polo might have had more to do with budget than anything else since that is all these cancellations have in common. Both Sense8 and Get Down were critical darlings even if they might not have been popular enough. It feels like Netflix is giving up on edging in on Starz, FX/FXX and HBO when it comes to having experimental big budget projects. If I held any Netflix stocks I'd be very worried about the last years developments because they don't speak well as so the long-term sustainability of the platform. License holders keep putting up their own content platforms (at increasing levels of success) and if all Netflix is going to offer is Orange is the New Black and mediocre Marvel TV shows then why would you or I need a Netflix subscription at all in the future.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 2, 2017

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

MiddleOne posted:

and if all Netflix is going to offer is Orange is the New Black and mediocre Marvel TV shows then why would you or I need a Netflix subscription at all in the future.

This. For all the Netflix originals I like (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Jessica Jones, Stranger Things, Bojack Horseman), without Sense8 my enthusiasm for seeing ANY of those series is kinda gone. It's not that they're bad, but they're not satisfying or filling in the same way Sense8 is. Those are all the icing, and sense8 is the cake.

Actually, the icing is the best part.

Sense8 is the layers of icing i'm here for, the rest is Jim Belushi cake.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
So lemme pretend for a second that season 3 is gonna happen, I think the cluster might be headed up to Scotland and maybe try to seek sanctuary with ex BPO sensate guy.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Two words:

Publicity stunt.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Sense8 started slow but I really do appreciate something that is at least a different scifi concept. At first I thought it was a gimmick, but the show does a fairly good job of developing its characters and tying them all into a really complicated world. Even with it being an enjoyable show, I am not really surprised with this news. It seems fairly expensive/complicated to produce and I am not sure what kind of numbers it actually brings in. I don't really buy the 9 million an episode, but there is no doubt filming all those locations with this many actors is an involved process, top to bottom. That said, it definitely has a loyal fanbase and I am hoping at the very least it gets a movie or something to kind of tie it off.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 3, 2017

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

unlawfulsoup posted:

I don't really buy the 9 million an episode

Roberto Malerba, producer of the show posted:

Every episode cost 9 million dollars

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Big Bang Theory, standard multi-cam sitcom of 22 minutes with no special effects, 2 or 3 studio sets per episode and few laughs, also costs $9 million per episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
It seems like they could get along fine with a much lower budget at this point, now that everyone is in one place. Of course I don't know how much of that budget was due to all the different locations they were filming. I'd imagine that this was considered and they still decided to cancel. I just wish Netflix would let them do a special episode or something to cap off the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Binary Logic posted:

The Big Bang Theory, standard multi-cam sitcom of 22 minutes with no special effects, 2 or 3 studio sets per episode and few laughs, also costs $9 million per episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs
Inflated salaries of the actors I guess.

• Locked thread