Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
We live in a society steeped in protestant work ethic. What's more likely to attract a majority of voters:

1) Guaranteed jobs for everyone
2) Universal basic income

In the Second Bill of Rights FDR proposed (among other things that would frighten today's liberals) that Americans should have:

The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;

Today, some post-keynesian economists are pushing for the same thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_guarantee

So why has the idea of UBI caught on with today's left (and libertarians) but not a job guarantee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

because ubi is easier

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Fansy posted:

We live in a society steeped in protestant work ethic. What's more likely to attract a majority of voters:

In the Second Bill of Rights FDR proposed (among other things that would frighten today's liberals) that Americans should have:

The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;

So why has the idea of UBI caught on with today's left (and libertarians) but not a job guarantee?

there wont be enough jobs when the robots take them

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

anime was right posted:

yeah but then when the robots enslave us every American will have the right to a guaranteed job in the electricity mines until we die of overwork.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

anime was right posted:

So we'll have robots making public art, taking care of disadvantaged kids, socializing with residents at nursing homes

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
because work sucks

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Fansy posted:

because left-liberals don't want communism, they want to make themselves feel better by giving to charity

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
you can always drive an uber

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
because the people who determine what work is socially useful invariably determine that the most socially useful work is work which personally enriches themselves

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Because a guarantee job is far more unrealistic the a universal basic income.

Plus the ubi won't get rid of jobs, it'll just mean people don't have to work to survive.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why are there still people who think that ubi = no one works anymore? If anything, research shows that people work more when they have ubi.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

oliwan posted:

Why are there still people who think that ubi = no one works anymore? If anything, research shows that people work more when they have ubi.

yeah but they'd be able to demand better pay & working conditions without the threat of homelessness hanging over their heads

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

because the people who determine what work is socially useful invariably determine that the most socially useful work is work which personally enriches themselves

UBI is even more susceptible to corruption.

Hayek and Milton Friedman supported it for a reason: it makes a great excuse to get rid of government services. They saw it as a the path to a fully privatized America.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

there's really two ways to do this:

create a federal Bureau of Jobs or whatever that either employs people directly or coordinates with state + local bureaus to do whatever socially useful thing the government can imagine (or when they run out of such things they can just make poo poo up, as in the USSR)

or come up with some insane neoliberal scheme for private industry to be able to fully employ the population through tax incentives and thousands of pages of crazy legislation - the Obamacare of jobs, basically

the first is essentially UBI with an absolutely enormous layer of bureaucracy on top of it and the second would be the most massive corporate welfare project ever witnessed in the history of mankind. maybe the truth is in the middle

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fansy posted:

UBI is even more susceptible to corruption.

Hayek and Milton Friedman supported it for a reason: it makes a great excuse to get rid of government services. They saw it as a the path to a fully privatized America.

please

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fullhouse posted:

create a federal Bureau of Jobs or whatever that either employs people directly or coordinates with state + local bureaus to do whatever socially useful thing the government can imagine (or when they run out of such things they can just make poo poo up, as in the USSR)

or come up with some insane neoliberal scheme for private industry to be able to fully employ the population through tax incentives and thousands of pages of crazy legislation - the Obamacare of jobs, basically

the first is essentially UBI with an absolutely enormous layer of bureaucracy on top of it and the second would be the most massive corporate welfare project ever witnessed in the history of mankind. maybe the truth is in the middle

How about a massive corporate welfare project with an absolutely enormous layer of bureaucracy?

By which I mean attempting to fix our crumbling infrastructure

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe

Fansy posted:

So we'll have robots making public art, taking care of disadvantaged kids, socializing with residents at nursing homes

I feel this kind of thing quickly turns into people working in military production lines, and politicians needing reasons to keep the military production lines producing.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

1: Though I dont think fully automated luxury communism is possible I do think that the pace of automation is going knock down the numbers of employees in most economic sectors especially in these coming decades as we see a mad capitalist drive towards efficiency in a fully globalized world. Even without that I think that a decent of those jobs will be permanently lost until we stop being scared of the words "human enhancement" and think about maybe putting limits on AI research.
2: It's a universal benefit that should be easy to implement unless you tried to means test it or something and it's easy to understand to the average person.
3: It will probably help to keep household debt under control with a guaranteed steady income, especially if it could adjusted on the fly in response to a crisis.
4: It will make retraining and educating the population easier since you would need to work less or not at all to pursue higher or technical education.
5: Which is good because it's likely that some jobs are going to disappear and it's unfair and awful to tell people to just :dealwithit: when they spent a part of their life getting good at something.
6: Finally it will take off some burden on child rearing and might help avert a possible population crash that could wreck entire economics.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I feel youve somewhat missed the point of that flyer you posted.

Al! posted:

Its this. Jobs don't correlate very well with providing for society under capitalism because society doesn't really have a lot of capital to pay out. I might prefer to be a preschool teacher in a low income neighborhood, but I also like to occasionally own things so I take employment as a data analyst doing drudge work that serves no real purpose except to enrich a corporation. With UBI my employment preferences might shift to doing societally useful work with the guarantee that I can still pay for everything.

If I were unemployed completely, UBI would give me a basis of support to search for employment that matched my job skills, or perhaps seek education to enhance my skills without worrying about, you know, being homeless. If nothing else UBI would give me some leverage in negotiations with a potential employer, because I could decline to suck his dick in a back alley in exchange for not starving.

Finally

Karl Barks posted:

because ubi is easier

Just give everybody some money. Don't even means test if you want. It will mean nothing to the rich and everything to the poor because of marginal utility of money. The full text of a UBI law could theoretically read 'Every living human* residing in America gets $20,000 per year, indexed to inflation'. Trying to give everyone a job runs into issues about who is suited for what job, what if you don't live where the jobs are, etc etc etc.

*gently caress furries.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Tunicate posted:

How about a massive corporate welfare project with an absolutely enormous layer of bureaucracy?

By which I mean attempting to fix our crumbling infrastructure

set money = 0 and just give everyone some. scarcity is a lie

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

because the idea that everyone absolutely must work is outdated as gently caress. we don't need to make a shitton more soul-crushing, monotonous, redundant jobs in a world where automation is happening more and more. ubi is simpler, more realistic, and more likely to allow people to do something actually useful to society, rather than sweeping sidewalks endlessly or whatever other garbage would be in place in a job guarantee system.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
there's no reason to tie "work" to "money"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

it would also let people just I dunno tinker maybe come up with some funky new things without setting up a patreon.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

work makes you honest and gives purpose to your life but productivity is not matched to income and our safety nets are easy to exploit

if the government can't find something for you to do* you should at least be guaranteed proper shelter, nutrition and basic services

it's common courtesy!

*prison doesn't count

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The fact Rome was able to figure out ubi is a good idea should be enough for Western societies to implement it, given how much they love riding their dick.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

MizPiz posted:

Because a guarantee job is far more unrealistic the a universal basic income.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief
fact:

this will never be implemented in the United States for the reason not a step mentioned:

the business classes want their dicks sucked in said back alley; this will not change unless the us government develops a spine, and :lol:, that's not happening!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

just to elaborate about the 'easier' thing, a gmi is basically one policy (although inevitably a complicated one) wheras a truly effective job guarantee would mean a whole bunch of new policies and systems, in other words an expansion of the state on the scale of the new deal or greater. and thats ignoring the bigger issue of who decides what has what value and why, but I think thats already been addressed

as for it being potentially used by the libertarian minded to gut other systems of welfare, as you allude to with hayek and friedman, I don't think there's any way for any (liberal democratic) society to prevent that possibility. but its not really any different from the idea of vouchers for healthcare or whatever, conservatives will always propose these things and people, once they've gotten used to having entitlements, will rage at the idea of losing them.

Olga Gurlukovich has issued a correction as of 00:04 on May 6, 2017

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

of course, the notion that people will resist losing established entitlements is being challenged right now with the obamacare repeal, so we'll see what happens with that.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

THe other problem with guaranteed employment is that minorities will absolutely be given the shittiest jobs possible while still technically qualifying as employment. UBI theoretically sidesteps the issue by being, well, universal.

Of course, I'm certain a racist implementation could be found through indexing to the wrong cost of living or something, but it would be harder to do and easier to correct.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

right, a big benefit of the simplicity of gmi, besides being 'easier' is that there are fewer avenues for exploitation, racist implementation etc.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
"Check out this negatively geared income tax"

*rides unicycle backwards uphill*

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

blamegame posted:

right, a big benefit of the simplicity of gmi, besides being 'easier' is that there are fewer avenues for exploitation, racist implementation etc.

I think you mean ubi, which is "everyone gets x amount of money from the govt". Gmi is means tested and means tested programs will always find sneaky ways to exclude undesirables. Plus means tested programs tend to be unpopular among those who don't receive them so they're politically vulnerable.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
gently caress this "Protestant work ethic" horseshit I am Catholic and I am going to spend my day lighting really tall candles and eating wafers and I WILL be compensated

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
because having the government provide jobs nobody needs to do things nobody wants would seriously suck balls for everyone involved including the government, OP

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Why do you have the lowtax avatar when you aren't lowtax?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fullhouse posted:

or just use the flawless method of job lottery

glory to Arstotzka

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
conscription is basically a job guarantee for 18 year olds and that mostly involves peeling potatoes and getting hazed for a year or more in the countries where it is obligatory

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Fansy posted:

no, we'll just have computers and machines (and some robots) multiplying and optimizing human labor more and more efficiently and we'll need fewer and fewer people employed

also every field of art and entertainment is close to having an infinite amount of content from the viewpoint of the audience because so much of it is produced that one person can't realistically expect to experience all of it (or even most of it)

so it doesn't matter if the robots figure out how to paint or sing because we have so many people trying to do that those fields are in effect already automated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

SpaceGoku posted:

no, we'll just have computers and machines (and some robots) multiplying and optimizing human labor more and more efficiently and we'll need fewer and fewer people employed

also every field of art and entertainment is close to having an infinite amount of content from the viewpoint of the audience because so much of it is produced that one person can't realistically expect to experience all of it (or even most of it)

so it doesn't matter if the robots figure out how to paint or sing because we have so many people trying to do that those fields are in effect already automated

i don't think you really get automation

• Locked thread