Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pwn posted:

Outta time, though there's 45 seconds for the goodnights still

afaik they don't end sketches halfway through for runtime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Are Beck and Kyle leaving too?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

aw, they're not gonna let us watch Vanessa Bayer bawling at the back of the stage?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Wow no sendoff at all for two really strong cast members.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Shneak posted:

Are Beck and Kyle leaving too?

Should still be under contract, so not unless they're getting fired.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I hope they add Backpack Kid to the 2017-18 cast

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
ScarJo should have been the stand-in for Katy in the goodbyes and nobody would have noticed.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFAogBBGgBs

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

please don't remind me of this lame rear end "sketch"

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Episode started off strong, dipped... strong again... then just sucked out loud at the end (not counting the child molesting robot of course). Seriously that was the best send off they could do?!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hahahaha i must have missed this episode because i recognize its historic misjudgement

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Aliquid posted:

afaik they don't end sketches halfway through for runtime
It happens sometimes, not often but it happens

A very old example

There was also a bit where Will Ferrell played Elton John, altering other songs of his to mourn dead (and soon-to-be-dead) celebrities, was cut off at the end of the Sylvester Stallone ep in 1997.

And at least two times I know of, the musical guest's second song was cut off at the end of the show: B52s in 1980, Lenny Kravitz in 2001

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, not to be that guy the pixie cut doesn't work for Katy.

I'm glad you said it first, she could do a stand-in for Justin Bieber.

Let's stick with the classics.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, KPs last record was super strong pop goodness. Whoever decided to move away from that formula needs to be fired (into the sun)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mister Kingdom posted:

She has huge teeth. Sometimes, it's unnerving when she smiles full force.

She's cute and all, but can't be more than three generations removed from a horse.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think they both got pretty good send-offs during Weekend Update although I'm surprised they didn't do a Jennifer Aniston thing instead. And that's when a good deal of people turn the show off anyway.

DC Murderverse posted:

please don't remind me of this lame rear end "sketch"
I don't love the song, but to be honest I don't think SNL has to be pure sketch comedy. It's at its heart a variety show.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Sasheer is apparently leaving as well.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Was her contract different than the normal 7 years, or is it just a mutual thing?

They're going to have to develop some new talent pretty quick between now and whenever McKinnon is able to go. Other than the blonde headed dude this year's featured players might be one and done.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 21, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think they both got pretty good send-offs during Weekend Update although I'm surprised they didn't do a Jennifer Aniston thing instead. And that's when a good deal of people turn the show off anyway.
I don't love the song, but to be honest I don't think SNL has to be pure sketch comedy. It's at its heart a variety show.

That wasn't something that was unusual in concept for SNL (I think they did that kind of thing a lot more in the earlier days), it was just bad completely separate from that.

pwn
May 27, 2004

It made me find the To Sir, With Love bluray and actually watch the film. It was ok. Kinda sexist in parts, but overall fine.

My main complaint is the title song is used four times in the film: opening credits, mid-film montage, Lulu herself sings it to Sir at the end, and the end credits. Too much.

The song on SNL was a bit weird, but whatever, if Strong and Zamata felt that strongly about the matter, who gives a toss

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

raditts posted:

That wasn't something that was unusual in concept for SNL (I think they did that kind of thing a lot more in the earlier days), it was just bad completely separate from that.
I was reacting more to the criticism that it's not a sketch.

I think it was redundant with "Last Christmas with Obama" being present and great. But I don't get the hate.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I was reacting more to the criticism that it's not a sketch.

I think it was redundant with "Last Christmas with Obama" being present and great. But I don't get the hate.

The best I can come up with is that it was the type of sentimental gesture to a politician that a much younger version of the show would've ripped the throat out of.

Even if you buy into that (and I've kind of gone back and forth), it's closing on 16 years since Tina and Jimmy sang "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" to Rudy Goddamn Giuliani, so for better or for worse, this the world we've been living in for quite some time.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

General Dog posted:

What if Kanye, but terrible?

So Kanye?

"Austin Powers" - Kanye West

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Has this much cast ever gone at once besides firings?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well, who the hell ever saw this coming?

quote:

Scarlett Johansson’s appearance on “Saturday Night Live” was such a hit, she ended up making out with “Weekend Update” co-host Colin Jost at the afterparty, multiple sources exclusively confirmed to Page Six.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh god, Leslie is going to break her in two.

VVVVV Yeah three people leaving is pretty common in the SNL grand scheme.

Also of note, since Keenan seems unlikely to quit over the summer, next year he'll break Darrell Hammond's record as longest running cast member with Keenan entering his 15th season.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 22, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kammat posted:

Has this much cast ever gone at once besides firings?

the entire cast and most of the writing staff left after the 5th season along with lorne michaels

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The Dave posted:

Well, who the hell ever saw this coming?

he apparently dated Rashida Jones for a few years too, which means that Colin Jost is the luckiest guy in the entire universe

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the entire cast and most of the writing staff left after the 5th season along with lorne michaels

And then again after Michaels came back.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

There was also that huge overhaul in the mid-90's where the only two to remain were Norm MacDonald and Tim Meadows.

pwn
May 27, 2004

And David Spade, Mark McKinney, and Molly Shannon

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

also after the awful, terrible 6th season the only people they kept were Eddie Murphy and Lame Sinatra Impersonator Joe Piscopo

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Harder, Sudeikas and Armison all left at the same time, with Sandberg and Wiig the year before and Meyers half a season later. That's a pretty sizeable turnover of senior stars.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Hmm, so here's a question probably no one else thinks of - who plays Steve Bannon / Death? I've been assuming it was Mikey Day in the suit, but they're both in the cold open. Is it just whichever cast member is available, or not even necessary a cast member?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Hmm, so here's a question probably no one else thinks of - who plays Steve Bannon / Death? I've been assuming it was Mikey Day in the suit, but they're both in the cold open. Is it just whichever cast member is available, or not even necessary a cast member?

It's been Mikey Day all the other times, this time was probably just someone at random.

With all the talk about turnover I realized I can't remember a time where I was so blah on the male half of the cast. They're not terrible but none of them have anything that stands out as great.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
So I was kinda right, thank you!

The women outpace the men right now, but Beck Bennett's practically a reason to watch in himself, Mikey Day is a welcome addition and Kenan improves everything he touches. Pete Davidson serves no purpose, though.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Instant Sunrise posted:

And then again after Michaels came back.

the dick ebersol/jean doumanian era had pretty heavy turnover year to year as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

he apparently dated Rashida Jones for a few years too, which means that Colin Jost is the luckiest guy in the entire universe

I'm gonna follow up on this even though I'm the only one who cares: I'm watching Angie Tribeca right now and I'll be damned if Rashida Jones and Scarlett Johannson don't have remarkably similar voices.

• Locked thread