Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/05/the-parts-of-america-most-susceptible-to-automation/525168/

Most vulnerable low skill jobs are for things such as retail work, material moving such as truck driving or food services.

Coastal cities with knowledge economies will be less impacted while areas which focus on blue collar jobs will see massive job losses.

quote:

Economists expect that millions of American jobs are going to be replaced by automation in the coming decades. But where will those job losses take place? Which areas will be hardest hit?

Much of the focus regarding automation has been on the Rust Belt. There, many workers have been replaced by machines, and the number of factory jobs has slipped as more production is offshored. While a lot of the rhetoric about job loss in the Rust Belt has centered on such outsourcing, one study from Ball State University found that only 13 percent of manufacturing job losses are attributable to trade, and the rest to automation.

A new analysis suggests that the places that are going to be hardest-hit by automation in the coming decades are in fact outside of the Rust Belt. It predicts that areas with high concentrations of jobs in food preparation, office or administrative support, and/or sales will be most affected—places such as Las Vegas and the Riverside-San Bernardino area may be the most vulnerable to automation in upcoming years, with 65 percent of jobs in Las Vegas and 63 percent of jobs in Riverside predicted to be automatable by 2025. Other areas especially vulnerable to automation are El Paso, Orlando, and Louisville.

quote:

There were, however, a few regions of the country where jobs were not as likely to be automated. They included Silicon Valley, North Carolina’s Research Triangle and the Boston area, where a high share of the jobs require more creative and social intelligence, and are thus more difficult to automate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
The real lol is the scale used in that graph. They estimate at least 50% job loss across the board, LOL!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oyak posted:

The real lol is the scale used in that graph. They estimate at least 50% job loss across the board, LOL!

Going to get my MBA so I can be a more efficient oxy dealer.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Oyak posted:

I'll be surprised if unemployment isn't 30% by 2030

That or automated vehicles get outlawed or something

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ammanas posted:

the only solution is to start the Butlerian Jihad

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

etalian posted:

the only solution is to start the Butlerian Jihad

I lust for robot death

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
if a hurricane hits this season do you think trump will go hand out more playdough to the newly homeless

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Ammanas posted:

You would think that a smart person running for office would run the campaign on an anti-robot platform, promising to prevent automation-related job loss.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

we are going to get guaranteed minimum income or we are going to get a violent mass revolt against the holders of capital

and i know i ain't got a lot of faith in the former of these two scenarios happening :getin:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

financially racist posted:

we are going to get guaranteed minimum income or we are going to get a violent mass revolt against the holders of capital

and i know i ain't got a lot of faith in the former of these two scenarios happening :getin:

Capital will kill the gently caress out of us because they've been smart enough not to put the squeeze on law enforcement and the military. Unless they decide to "automate" those groups in which case the robots will kill us all anyway.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmao our military has been, and continues to be, completely embarrassed by a bunch goat herders in a desert

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
looks good to me op

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
no more lovely jobs everyone hates working anyway? bring it on

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

lmao our military has been, and continues to be, completely embarrassed by a bunch goat herders in a desert

Umm, last time I checked getting a generation wiped out is exactly what we need to bring employment numbers back.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Bip Roberts posted:

Umm, last time I checked getting a generation wiped out is exactly what we need to bring employment numbers back.

i choose the boomers

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Bip Roberts posted:

if there are 199 jobs and 200 americans left alive thats over 99 % employment!!!!!!! :getin:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
once again, everythings coming up bicostal elites

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Al! posted:

once again, everythings coming up bi
:q:

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
it's me, i'm the one who's constantly shocked that the places where rich people live do better than the places that poor people live

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Everywhere's gonna get hit according to that goddamn graph, nowhere is safe

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Lawman 0 posted:

I lust for robot death

The butlerian jihad as envisioned by frank herbert rather than the lovely prequels was less about death to robots and more about sentient robots are inherently beneficial to the upper class of people compared to the other so you have to ban it from existing

ofc the universe he envisioned resulting from it is literal space feudalism with aristocracies and super-educated elite human beings who can emulate a computer's computing power so welp

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Grondoth posted:

in fact the town i live in now is one of the ones with a dot signifying >64% :toot:

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

etalian posted:

Going to get my MBA so I can be a more efficient oxy dealer.

I dunno man, I have an MBA but I've only ever sold percs. You might need to go up to the doctorate level to make those oxy sales.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

silicon valley is furiously moving towards self-driving vehicles so they can eliminate manned truck driving which is the best job most people can get outside of a city

doobie is a trucker now lol

Grondoth posted:

neoliberals keep pushing tech jobs as the future of industry but programmers have been very hard at work over their few decades of existence creating higher and higher level languages and tools so that one programmer today can do the work of fifty from 1985

the bitcoin of weed has issued a correction as of 04:05 on May 8, 2017

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Fullhouse posted:

silicon valley is furiously moving towards self-driving vehicles so they can eliminate manned truck driving which is the best job most people can get outside of a city

doobie is a trucker now lol

zuckerberg is gonna run for office and tell everybody they can get jobs as robocar mechanics via facebook's new job platform, "Sokyt™"

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Fluoride Jones posted:

zuckerberg is gonna run for office and tell everybody they can get jobs as robocar mechanics via facebook's new job platform, "Sokyt™"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qRZvlZZ0DY

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

etalian posted:

the only solution is to start the Islamocommunist Jihad

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
gonna need to start a massive landwar so we can kill off all the unemployable males we'll end up having

sooner the better hth

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Butlerian Jihad is the only answer.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Retail is already in trouble today, but self driving cars aren't as clever as people think, so it may take longer to automate truckers.

It's like white collar work is any safer either, in fact its probably easier to automate a lot of that then it is totally replace blue collar stuff.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
A lot of white collar work has already been quietly automated over the years, hasn't it? It's just less obvious it's happening.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Fuuka Ayase posted:

A lot of white collar work has already been quietly automated over the years, hasn't it? It's just less obvious it's happening.

Remember when secretaries and clerks were jobs just because nobody knew how to type and spreadsheets didn't exist?

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

how many people did spreadsheets put out of work

remember we used to do have people who did all that poo poo by hand

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
I as a resident of the Riverside-San Bernardino area. Yeah. If they just swithchef over to self checkouts at every store the economy here would colapse.

You can't even go to school cause that auto-doc Watson is coming or that next.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

McGavin posted:

Remember when secretaries and clerks were jobs just because nobody knew how to type and spreadsheets didn't exist?

And now they have spreadsheets and they still gently caress up my payroll. Because they hire idiots who don't know how to read a sheet or run a computer program.

Also, most people are too loving stupid to use self-checkout and would bitch. Even if you did replace them and told the retards to suck it, you'd have to have people baby sit them to discourage theft and tag out 18/21+ poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
They're trying to do self checkout here, but it ends up needing more people than regular checkout to make sure it doesn't get screwed up.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Fuuka Ayase posted:

They're trying to do self checkout here, but it ends up needing more people than regular checkout to make sure it doesn't get screwed up.

Yeah, you really have to work all day in it to really see how dumb most people are when it comes to self-checkout.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lol at having faith that the latter will happen

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

KiteAuraan posted:

Yeah, you really have to work all day in it to really see how dumb most people are when it comes to self-checkout.

I have heard no positive opinions about it from people who work it. It's mind numbingly boring most of the time, but someone always has to stand right by the stupid thing because something always goes wrong. Which then usually involves calling management, and management has to get involved far more with the glorious automated future than normal registers. They are also the sole source of increased losses through theft here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Self-checkout is a relic of the past, built around cumbersome barcodes and dumb systems

The new hotness in retail automation is eliminating the checkout process altogether, so you can just wheel your cart out the door and the store automatically detects what you've got and charges your card

there are various methods and approaches that are being worked on and none of them are really ready yet, so it's probably still a few years out, but self-checkout as we know it is going to be obsolete soon too. and obviously, eliminating the human component altogether is going to work a lot better than just making the customer take the place of the human worker

• Locked thread