Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

KiteAuraan posted:

And now they have spreadsheets and they still gently caress up my payroll. Because they hire idiots who don't know how to read a sheet or run a computer program.

Also, most people are too loving stupid to use self-checkout and would bitch. Even if you did replace them and told the retards to suck it, you'd have to have people baby sit them to discourage theft and tag out 18/21+ poo poo.

they gently caress up the payroll because they used said spreadsheets as an excuse to cut way more heads than they should have so nobody has time to double check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

KiteAuraan posted:

And now they have spreadsheets and they still gently caress up my payroll. Because they hire idiots who don't know how to read a sheet or run a computer program.

Also, most people are too loving stupid to use self-checkout and would bitch. Even if you did replace them and told the retards to suck it, you'd have to have people baby sit them to discourage theft and tag out 18/21+ poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

maybe dont be an ableist poo poo

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

maybe dont be an ableist poo poo

*extremely neurotypical voice* "the r word!!!??!!"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fuuka Ayase posted:

A lot of white collar work has already been quietly automated over the years, hasn't it? It's just less obvious it's happening.

Or outsourced overseas especially for stuff like legal drudgery.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Fullhouse posted:

silicon valley is furiously moving towards self-driving vehicles so they can eliminate manned truck driving which is the best job most people can get outside of a city

doobie is a trucker now lol

the self driving car is going to decimate the american middle class lmao. truck driving is like the #1 way of earning a middle class income without having gone to college. there are 3 million truck drivers in this country :getin:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Scent of Worf posted:

the self driving car is going to decimate the american middle class lmao. truck driving is like the #1 way of earning a middle class income without having gone to college. there are 3 million truck drivers in this country :getin:

Yeah and a lot of assorted support personnel like lot lizards and piss bottle emptiers. There's nothing about a vehicle running distillate fuel from point to point that needs a human operator anymore, and your more cantankerous fuel and engine varieties are only really relevant to large ships in this day and age.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Automation owns.

Self checkout is just a system to facilitate shoplifting.

Any self driving trucks are going to be programmed by lovely assholes who don't understand how reality works and all of those laid off truck drivers are going to be angry as hell and there will be plans on the internet to build a device that will immobilize them for less than ten dollars

These people are so dumb they made a robot cop that looked like a trash can and were surprised when someone knocked it over.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
less truck drivers on speed causing accidents. less cooks loving up meals at fast food. seems good to me.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Relin posted:

less truck drivers on speed causing accidents. less cooks loving up meals at fast food. seems good to me.

robo hookers means less human exploitation

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Main Paineframe posted:

Self-checkout is a relic of the past, built around cumbersome barcodes and dumb systems

The new hotness in retail automation is eliminating the checkout process altogether, so you can just wheel your cart out the door and the store automatically detects what you've got and charges your card

there are various methods and approaches that are being worked on and none of them are really ready yet, so it's probably still a few years out, but self-checkout as we know it is going to be obsolete soon too. and obviously, eliminating the human component altogether is going to work a lot better than just making the customer take the place of the human worker

yeah all those apps that let you keep your debit/credit card numbers on your phone are pretty close to this already. just set it up so that you scan the QR product code and then it deducts the money from your account and you can walk out with your stuff with no hassle.

as far as retail goes though, there's still going to be some need for people in the store to actually unpack product from a trailer and then place it in appropriate locations in the store, make sure it's priced right so weights & measures doesn't shutter the location, etc. I guess at a theoretical point in the future you could have robots unload the truck too and stock shelves, but I haven't seen much indicating that this is being seriously explored.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Rfid broadly failed in retail b&m and that 'load & go' system won't catch on outside of a few select places. Barcode/upc systems will remain and people appreciate cashiers and *gasp* baggers.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Freaking Crumbum posted:

as far as retail goes though, there's still going to be some need for people in the store to actually unpack product from a trailer and then place it in appropriate locations in the store...

A lot of grocery stores all ready have the distributors do the shelf stocking. So while there will still be people to do it, they already don't work for the store.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
blowjob automation is going to nuke even more blue balls

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Id really rather just have service jobs pay well than never interact with anyone except to say excuse me when shopping

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah all those apps that let you keep your debit/credit card numbers on your phone are pretty close to this already. just set it up so that you scan the QR product code and then it deducts the money from your account and you can walk out with your stuff with no hassle.

as far as retail goes though, there's still going to be some need for people in the store to actually unpack product from a trailer and then place it in appropriate locations in the store, make sure it's priced right so weights & measures doesn't shutter the location, etc. I guess at a theoretical point in the future you could have robots unload the truck too and stock shelves, but I haven't seen much indicating that this is being seriously explored.

I guess techies don't get if automation does slash the number of jobs by 50% then who will be able to afford capitalist excesses?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Ammanas posted:

Rfid broadly failed in retail b&m and that 'load & go' system won't catch on outside of a few select places. Barcode/upc systems will remain and people appreciate cashiers and *gasp* baggers.
It's coming to every grocery store ever because it massively cuts on labor costs, consumer experience be damned.

Retail is already in trouble, they're going to death grip anything they think will save them.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I refuse to believe that the cost savings of eliminating grocery store employees will outweigh the amount of shoplifting you'd see as a result.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The future is stuff like Amazon go. The store uses cameras and machine vision to see exactly what you take off the shelf. Shoplifting isn't going to be as easy as you think, and its something that such a system could conceivably detect.

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

rudatron posted:

The future is stuff like Amazon go. The store uses cameras and machine vision to see exactly what you take off the shelf. Shoplifting isn't going to be as easy as you think, and its something that such a system could conceivably detect.

amazon go tracking currently doesn't work with more than 20 people in the store and a lot of people are already planning amazon go shoplift parties

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Freaking Crumbum posted:

There are three and a half million retail cashiers in the US, which all by itself constitutes something like two percent of total US non-farm employment. It's in the top three biggest job fields in the US, I think.

Even if it doesn't result in totally humanless stores, eliminating cashiers would be a very big deal.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

yoober posted:

amazon go tracking currently doesn't work with more than 20 people in the store and a lot of people are already planning amazon go shoplift parties
All it needs to do is detect that a shoplift has happened, the video evidence can be provided to police and arrests made after the fact. The perpetrators in these shoplift parties are going to find themselves in front of a judge, facing down charges of organized crime.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Id really rather just have service jobs pay well than never interact with anyone except to say excuse me when shopping

go shopping wiht your friends

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

go shopping wiht your friends

All my girl friends for mall shopping moved away :(

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

rudatron posted:

All it needs to do is detect that a shoplift has happened, the video evidence can be provided to police and arrests made after the fact. The perpetrators in these shoplift parties are going to find themselves in front of a judge, facing down charges of organized crime.

lol

https://youtu.be/v7acD4q0lp0

cops take forever to get anything done and are sometimes incorrect too

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe that's true for actual crimes like murder, but we're talking about the bottom line of retail chains.

If shoplifting becomes a major concern of these businesses, from people exploiting ai or whatever, they are absolutely going to lean on the police force to make it less of a problem. The allure of replacing labor is too sweet to give up, and city council and such can respond very rapidly when money is on the line.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the quality of self-checkouts depend on the store that uses them. the ones at my grocery store chain (Foodtown) always work, but at any given CVS that has them, at least one is out of order

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Bushiz posted:

I refuse to believe that the cost savings of eliminating grocery store employees will outweigh the amount of shoplifting you'd see as a result.

Loss Prevention Agents upgraded Loss Prevention LEOs with full discretion.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
at safeway we barely even have loss prevention anymore, we have one guy per dozen stores, so he just cycles through them over like a two week period.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

A lot of grocery stores all ready have the distributors do the shelf stocking. So while there will still be people to do it, they already don't work for the store.

eeeeeh, that's like >10% of the store merchandise tho, basically just bread and pop. even the beer distributors don't stock their own stuff

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rudatron posted:

Maybe that's true for actual crimes like murder, but we're talking about the bottom line of retail chains.

If shoplifting becomes a major concern of these businesses, from people exploiting ai or whatever, they are absolutely going to lean on the police force to make it less of a problem. The allure of replacing labor is too sweet to give up, and city council and such can respond very rapidly when money is on the line.

One of my friends had $20k of jewelry smash-and-grabbed, had a video recording of it happening with the person's face, police didn't do anything. Are they really going to do more for $20 of groceries?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

One of my friends had $20k of jewelry smash-and-grabbed, had a video recording of it happening with the person's face, police didn't do anything. Are they really going to do more for $20 of groceries?

Yes, I have seen someone brutalized over ten bux of groceries.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

Was your friend a wealthy businessman with lobbyists breathing down the neck of every politician that's relevant to their operations? Because lol if u think Walmart is going to have its concerns ignored by city hall.

The chance to reduce labor costs by hiring less people is far, far too tempting to let a little thing like police laziness/ineptitude get in the way.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 09:52 on May 11, 2017

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

rudatron posted:

It's coming to every grocery store ever because it massively cuts on labor costs, consumer experience be damned.

Retail is already in trouble, they're going to death grip anything they think will save them.

My employer seems to have realized that's a really dumb idea and actually employs a lot of front end. Sometimes too many people on one shift. Customers like it, and we're always busy as gently caress.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

Was your friend a wealthy businessman with lobbyists breathing down the neck of every politician that's relevant to their operations? Because lol if u think Walmart is going to have its concerns ignored by city hall.

The chance to reduce labor costs by hiring less people is far, far too tempting to let a little thing like police laziness/ineptitude get in the way.

Walmart got a lot of pushback from cities during the period when they were just totally not securing their stores in any way, there's a long article on how retarded it was somewhere

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The idea that the people designing these shopping algorithms, who are either stanford dropouts making millions in venturebucks or massively overworked h-1b hires being paid peanuts, are going to create a system that isn't going to miss a million different shoplifts or send up a million different false positives is almost utopian.

I got a facebook ad for a geophysical dataset the other day, which I have no interest in because I am not a multinational oil company worth billions of dollars, and yet somehow the algorithm decided that I was in the market for it. The only thing silicon valley does right now iss sell ads, and they're loving terrible at it when it should be easy as poo poo. Why would you think they'd be good at anything that's actually complicated and nuanced.

Like goddamn amazon is constantly advertising me whatever item I most recently bought from amazon, and they're gonna figure out how to use cameras to make a store work?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

one thing some retailers have caught onto is having the vendor cover the labor cost of staffing an employee in a given area of the store. so if sony or Samsung or apple or whomever wants to have a section of the building footprint exclusively stocked with their merch, then they have to pay the labor cost (plus a mark-up I'm sure) to have a peon stand in that area. BONUS: the person that apple or etc. is paying for is exclusively trained to recommend the vendor's products and is likely unable to help other areas of the store, or even log into the main store systems!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Bushiz posted:

The idea that the people designing these shopping algorithms, who are either stanford dropouts making millions in venturebucks or massively overworked h-1b hires being paid peanuts, are going to create a system that isn't going to miss a million different shoplifts or send up a million different false positives is almost utopian.

I got a facebook ad for a geophysical dataset the other day, which I have no interest in because I am not a multinational oil company worth billions of dollars, and yet somehow the algorithm decided that I was in the market for it. The only thing silicon valley does right now iss sell ads, and they're loving terrible at it when it should be easy as poo poo. Why would you think they'd be good at anything that's actually complicated and nuanced.

Like goddamn amazon is constantly advertising me whatever item I most recently bought from amazon, and they're gonna figure out how to use cameras to make a store work?

Have you considered that scanning a magnetic strip might be less error-prone than predicting a human being's thoughts?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

rudatron posted:

counterpoint: shoplifting from Amazon go is exactly as easy as you'd think, actually even easier, and there's a reason it's in employee-only pilot.

and beyond just the mechanics of shoplifting, a key driver of people not stealing is interacting with employees, framing the potential theft as me versus them instead of me versus it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bushiz posted:

It does this for kindle books which is funny because why would I need two ebooks ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the algorithm is peak silicon valley arrogance. they honestly think that a computer program knows what human beings want

• Locked thread