Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

get that OUT of my face posted:

the algorithm is peak silicon valley arrogance. they honestly think that a computer program knows what human beings want

code:
e d b a l l ( o f t h e d r u g ) s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I loving love stealing from computers

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Main Paineframe posted:

Self-checkout is a relic of the past, built around cumbersome barcodes and dumb systems

The new hotness in retail automation is eliminating the checkout process altogether, so you can just wheel your cart out the door and the store automatically detects what you've got and charges your card

there are various methods and approaches that are being worked on and none of them are really ready yet, so it's probably still a few years out, but self-checkout as we know it is going to be obsolete soon too. and obviously, eliminating the human component altogether is going to work a lot better than just making the customer take the place of the human worker

What they should just do is make the store a lobby where you page through a touch screen catalogue​ and your poo poo comes out on a conveyor belt. Shop lifting destroyed.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

get that OUT of my face posted:

the algorithm is peak silicon valley arrogance. they honestly think that a computer program knows what human beings want

otoh and few years back Target had some kind of probability matrix where they could look at a woman's purchasing habits on-line and in store (assuming you had a loyalty card or whatever they could track) that could predict when women were pregnant based only on what they were buying. there became an issue when the Target weekly mailers that get stuffed into your mailbox started to contain a bunch of coupons for baby stuff for women the system predicted were pregnant; in some cases the system was accurately predicting a pregnancy before the woman shared the info with her partner, and ugly arguments ensued.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Freaking Crumbum posted:

otoh and few years back Target had some kind of probability matrix where they could look at a woman's purchasing habits on-line and in store (assuming you had a loyalty card or whatever they could track) that could predict when women were pregnant based only on what they were buying. there became an issue when the Target weekly mailers that get stuffed into your mailbox started to contain a bunch of coupons for baby stuff for women the system predicted were pregnant; in some cases the system was accurately predicting a pregnancy before the woman shared the info with her partner, and ugly arguments ensued.

i loving love machine learning

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The other thing that will make shoplifting worse is that humans have a natural empathy towards each other and an aversion of conflict that reduces that sort of behavior now, but will absolutely not be present with the robots. Similar to how most hitchhiking trips are fine with rare occurrences that go bad vs. that time someone made a hitchhiking robot and it was beaten almost immediately.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Freaking Crumbum posted:

you left out the best part of that story, where they find out how accurate it is when a dad called target and started screaming at executives because it accurately predicted that his 15 year old daughter got knocked up

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
HHMMMMMMMMMMM, think i might want to move back to Boston

Not because of jobs, but because the Patriots own, deal with it :cool:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bushiz posted:

The other thing that will make shoplifting worse is that humans have a natural empathy towards each other and an aversion of conflict that reduces that sort of behavior now, but will absolutely not be present with the robots. Similar to how most hitchhiking trips are fine with rare occurrences that go bad vs. that time someone made a hitchhiking robot and it was beaten almost immediately.

Thank you for reminding me about the hitchhiking robot that made it all the way through Canada and wherever else but got the poo poo kicked out of it almost immediately upon setting foot in the US.

Where it got wrecked in Philly is within walking distance of where I lived at the time, I kinda wish I had stumbled across it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
there was a real life Chappie?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Italian traffic seems like an argument against automated cars evet successfully interacting with people.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i guess if silicon valley wants to actually know what people are thinking, they should ask target. i remember that story too and it was pretty funny, weird, and shocking

Mister Fister posted:

HHMMMMMMMMMMM, think i might want to move back to Boston

Not because of jobs, but because the Patriots own, deal with it :cool:
you seem obnoxious so you'd fit right in

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

got any sevens posted:

there was a real life Chappie?

sort of? IIRC the robot was made to look "endearing" to humans based on some social science department at a german (?) university, and they tested the thing in both germany and in canada and the little robot successfully navigated a path across both countries just by hitchhiking. then on the maiden voyage in the US someone in philly just busts the poo poo out of it and leaves it behind a dumpster or something

also i didn't know that the target pregnancy matrix got derailed by the angry father of a teen mom. i feel like that level of accuracy should have been a proof of concept right before mass production

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
looks like fader automation is going to nuke even more speakers

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

I can't wait for a completely automated grocery store to open so I can go full supermarket sweep and just walk out with like 40 frozen turkeys for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhMNxncu5Gg&t=752s
for the young folks

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Peanut President posted:

I can't wait for a completely automated grocery store to open so I can go full supermarket sweep and just walk out with like 40 frozen turkeys for free.

for the young folks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4YKUJZI5Bg

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Freaking Crumbum posted:

sort of? IIRC the robot was made to look "endearing" to humans based on some social science department at a german (?) university, and they tested the thing in both germany and in canada and the little robot successfully navigated a path across both countries just by hitchhiking. then on the maiden voyage in the US someone in philly just busts the poo poo out of it and leaves it behind a dumpster or something

also i didn't know that the target pregnancy matrix got derailed by the angry father of a teen mom. i feel like that level of accuracy should have been a proof of concept right before mass production

That's because Philly is the best city, and won't stand for any stupid kraut trash robots polluting our trash city

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Best Giraffe posted:

That's because Philly is the best city, and won't stand for any stupid kraut trash robots polluting our trash city

dont talk trash about kraut robots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHEoMpMvz7A

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Best Giraffe posted:

Yeah we only have the best trash. Go birds!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Peanut President posted:

for the young folks

i never understood why you wouldn't just clear out whole shelves into your cart and poo poo, like just grab stuff and start throwing it

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

C. Everett Koop posted:

i never understood why you wouldn't just clear out whole shelves into your cart and poo poo, like just grab stuff and start throwing it

Uh you could only get 5 of a type of thing and there were penalties for spilling stuff and not picking it up.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
duh????

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
well then it's not a loving sweep then is it shoulda called it supermarket carefully pick poo poo

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

One question about automation that is never answered: who the hell are you going to sell to when nobody has money? All of this stuff is a neat example of how technology is going to replace us all eventually, but this is going to upend capitalism when you have companies going under when nobody can afford to buy their poo poo. Unless you're going to corner the market in stuff people need, but this is going to end up with one company the victor and the rest out of business because nobody can afford to shop at all because we're all counting pennies.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

One question about automation that is never answered: who the hell are you going to sell to when nobody has money? All of this stuff is a neat example of how technology is going to replace us all eventually, but this is going to upend capitalism when you have companies going under when nobody can afford to buy their poo poo. Unless you're going to corner the market in stuff people need, but this is going to end up with one company the victor and the rest out of business because nobody can afford to shop at all because we're all counting pennies.

when the robots decide they wont work for less than minimum wage theyll start buying things

arttisanal hand coded things

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Was neat how the Logan movie had self-driving big rigs.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

when the robots decide they wont work for less than minimum wage theyll start buying things

arttisanal hand coded things

When the robots decide they won't work for less than minimum wage, they will join us in unemployment

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

this is going to end up with one company the victor and the rest out of business because nobody can afford to shop at all because we're all counting pennies.
:capitalism:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The five rich people left

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

most businesses currently just sell poo poo to each other and in the absence of end consumers I imagine they will all switch to this model in a pretend economy run entirely by webservices and database procedures

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The five rich people left

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this is going to upend capitalism when you have companies going under when nobody can afford to buy their poo poo.
capitalism is nothing if not infinitely malleable and nigh immortal. it'll find a way

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Remember the systems before capitalism though? Feudalism was popular. Warring fiefdoms with privately-owned armies sounds pretty plausible.

Take our current system to its logical conclusion and you'll get medieval Europe: a tiny handful of kings and princes who own all the property and live in fortified castles; a class of professional soldiers to fight on their behalf and keep down insurrections; and a shitload of peasants or serfs eking out a hardscrabble living on tenant farms or mines. This is like the normal state of humanity under civilization, not just capitalism. Capitalism is a blip.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Neon Noodle posted:

Remember the systems before capitalism though? Feudalism was popular. Warring fiefdoms with privately-owned armies sounds pretty plausible.

Take our current system to its logical conclusion and you'll get medieval Europe: a tiny handful of kings and princes who own all the property and live in fortified castles; a class of professional soldiers to fight on their behalf and keep down insurrections; and a shitload of peasants or serfs eking out a hardscrabble living on tenant farms or mines. This is like the normal state of humanity under civilization, not just capitalism. Capitalism is a blip.

i was 14 and had opinions like these too a long time ago

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i was 14 and had opinions like these too a long time ago

what opinions do you have now, bulogogi?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

A Spherical Sponge posted:

what opinions do you have now, bulogogi?

korean steak sandwiches are excellent

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Controversial, yet compelling

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

This is half the reason a UBI will be necessary, yes. The other half is the riots.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

lol this reminds me of a conversation I had with a hard-core libertarian co-worker a few years back. he was of the opinion that all social services, even emergency medical or law enforcement services, were of dubious value to the Ayn Rand ubercapitalists that should rightfully rule our nation.

I asked him hypothetically, what would keep the poors from marching those wannabe-John Galts en masse to the guillotines, and isn't there at least value in maintaining a strong, well armed police force, if for no other reason than to prevent the wealthy from meeting their own mortality?

he scoffed and said that, if all social services/support were removed from the poor, it's entirely possible they'd die from starvation / preventable diseases / fury road chromeboy raiders/ etc. and that all the wealthy would need to do is hole up in their homes (admittedly already rather fortress-like) until enough of the poor perished that the rest would willingly accept their new role as slaves-in-all-but-name.

I was floored by his complete devotion to libertarian politics :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

According to this novel there will be the guys in charge of the automated factories, the guards that protect it from rioters, and then roving bands of jobless people who wander around the countryside looking for work. Oh, and the army is going to be full of people, as well.

• Locked thread