Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

What they should just do is make the store a lobby where you page through a touch screen catalogue​ and your poo poo comes out on a conveyor belt. Shop lifting destroyed.

holy gently caress the store of the future is sears circa 1987

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Freaking Crumbum posted:

lol this reminds me of a conversation I had with a hard-core libertarian co-worker a few years back. he was of the opinion that all social services, even emergency medical or law enforcement services, were of dubious value to the Ayn Rand ubercapitalists that should rightfully rule our nation.

I asked him hypothetically, what would keep the poors from marching those wannabe-John Galts en masse to the guillotines, and isn't there at least value in maintaining a strong, well armed police force, if for no other reason than to prevent the wealthy from meeting their own mortality?

he scoffed and said that, if all social services/support were removed from the poor, it's entirely possible they'd die from starvation / preventable diseases / fury road chromeboy raiders/ etc. and that all the wealthy would need to do is hole up in their homes (admittedly already rather fortress-like) until enough of the poor perished that the rest would willingly accept their new role as slaves-in-all-but-name.

I was floored by his complete devotion to libertarian politics :stonklol:

also russian serfdom, he loves russian serfdom

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i loving love machine learning
i think if you watch like 5 videogame-related videos on youtube in a row it pretty much decides you're a fascist

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

holy gently caress the store of the future is sears circa 1987

No wonder it's failing it keeps trying to fix perfection

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

also russian serfdom, he loves russian serfdom

I've since lost contact with the dude, but I would not be surprised in any way if it turned out he's one of the red hats chanting "RUSSIA IS OUR FRIEND" at whatever rally. working with computer systems in the finance industry, there's no shortage of dudes that fantasize themselves as randian supermen who could tower above the peons if only the government would get out of the way.

actually I'm surprised that automation hasn't nuked more white collar office work. it seems like most system errors are more likely caused by their human users, and it would make profitable sense to minimize that loss.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
most system errors in the finance industry are caused by a stubborn insistence on using excel of all things for mathematical modelling

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

get that OUT of my face posted:

the algorithm is peak silicon valley arrogance. they honestly think that a computer program knows what human beings want

the arrogance isn't assuming you can do this at all - tho it's obviously not easy - it's in their assumption that a bunch of programmers and tech geek people can without sociologists or psychologists

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

One question about automation that is never answered: who the hell are you going to sell to when nobody has money? All of this stuff is a neat example of how technology is going to replace us all eventually, but this is going to upend capitalism when you have companies going under when nobody can afford to buy their poo poo. Unless you're going to corner the market in stuff people need, but this is going to end up with one company the victor and the rest out of business because nobody can afford to shop at all because we're all counting pennies.

the answer to that question is "who do you expect to answer that question?"

the problem is that no one who matters is interested in the long-term health of the economy. businesses don't care about anything larger than their next quarter's financial results, and individual rich people are too busy plundering and looting to consider the idea that they might eventually run out of people to plunder and loot. the government is the only one that has the power to push large numbers of them to change, but it largely exists to do rich peoples bidding, not to tell them what to do

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

the problem is that no one who matters is interested in the long-term health of the economy. businesses don't care about anything larger than their next quarter's financial results, and individual rich people are too busy plundering and looting to consider the idea that they might eventually run out of people to plunder and loot. the government is the only one that has the power to push large numbers of them to change, but it largely exists to do rich peoples bidding, not to tell them what to do

US Corporate america is also pretty much driven by short term thinking, profit at any costs.

etalian has issued a correction as of 20:27 on May 17, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

According to this novel there will be the guys in charge of the automated factories, the guards that protect it from rioters, and then roving bands of jobless people who wander around the countryside looking for work. Oh, and the army is going to be full of people, as well.

I liked how westworld had a player piano in the intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeBik_YHBYM

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

blowjob automation is going to nuke even more blue balls

robots took my job at the dick sucking factory

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I've since lost contact with the dude, but I would not be surprised in any way if it turned out he's one of the red hats chanting "RUSSIA IS OUR FRIEND" at whatever rally. working with computer systems in the finance industry, there's no shortage of dudes that fantasize themselves as randian supermen who could tower above the peons if only the government would get out of the way.

actually I'm surprised that automation hasn't nuked more white collar office work. it seems like most system errors are more likely caused by their human users, and it would make profitable sense to minimize that loss.

i wonder about that too, but chances are someone somewhere is workin on it

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Main Paineframe posted:

elon musk seems to be doing a pretty good job of plundering investors of their money and turning it into cool long term projects actually

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freaking Crumbum posted:

It's actually probably the industry hit hardest by automation. Remember when every single mainframe was programmed and maintained by large teams of people and now you can have a few pasty dweebs run an entire datacenter

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Freaking Crumbum posted:

It's a little closer than you might expect. I work in Regulatory and a large portion of my daily activities involves generating composition and safety documentation, which is all run through an automated system at this point. Enter a product's formula, tell it what type of doc you want generated, and it puts one together by pulling the relevant information for the chemical substances present while also taking into account how much of each substance is actually present. It's not fully automated yet because not only do you need eyes on the output to make sure it's correct (a lot of my work recently has been going through our entered data and correcting it to make sure the system spits out the correct stuff, and boy is that fun), but our company and many others in the industry like to "obfuscate" a lot of things in the name of ~trade secrets~ and no current computer could make those kinds of judgment calls.

This also ties into the bigger issue with corporate work in that you need to be way overqualified to be considered for lots of jobs. When I was hired they were looking for a Bachelor's with 1-2 years Regulatory experience, and hired me with a Chemistry MS but no prior Reg experience. Meanwhile I share an office with a guy who's 10-15 years older than me and started work here about a year before me (doing the same stuff I do but for a different branch of the company), and was in a pharma lab for 10 years prior to coming here. After working this job for two years I can say with some confidence that you could do it successfully with a GED and a two-week chemistry crash course when you start. The cherry on top is that my officemate and I both work two jobs, though I don't know if he works his second job for fun or because he feels the financial pressure to do so. But the overqualification issue has been discussed to death and will continue to be discussed until violent corporate upheaval hits us, whether that violence is literal or metaphorical.

PS if you want an automation-proof job, learn to audit. No robot will be able to walk around a plant and pick up on safety hazards and violations and the like, not until we're all dead at least. Basically anything with large amounts of critical thinking is safe for a while, especially critical thinking + walking around.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

PS if you want an automation-proof job, learn to audit. No robot will be able to walk around a plant and pick up on safety hazards and violations and the like, not until we're all dead at least. Basically anything with large amounts of critical thinking is safe for a while, especially critical thinking + walking around.

A robot should be able to audit a fully pre-engineered and automated plant pretty easily for any deviations from plan!

And with cheap 3D/360 spherical cameras on the horizon you can just have a panopticon factory under continuous audit by a Burmese auditor for 10c an hour.

e My real point is there are a lot of jobs that cannot easily be automated as-is but the built environments or processes that require them can be engineered around if there is an incentive to do so - automation can go a lot farther when it's not a retrofit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Larry Parrish posted:

It's actually probably the industry hit hardest by automation. Remember when every single mainframe was programmed and maintained by large teams of people and now you can have a few pasty dweebs run an entire datacenter

As an example, this is the reason a third to a half of the internet went down when one Amazon service had problems in only one of their data centers. Nearly everything is done as software as a service or infrastructure as a service.

Tech companies are probably one of the best example of automation. The big one's are as big as or bigger than the old manufacturing mainstays and operate on 10% of the head count.

• Locked thread