Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Consoles: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC
Release Date(s): January 18th, 2019 (PS4 | XB1), February 1st, 2019 (PC), July 11th, 2024 (Switch)

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown is the latest installment in Bandai Namco’s long-running Ace Combat aerial combat flight simulator mega-franchise. It is the first mainline Ace Combat game to be released in nearly literally a decade, the first game in the franchise to see a simultaneous release on both console and PC, and the first Ace Combat to support virtual reality interfacing through the PlayStation VR.

It also, most importantly, marks the series’ return to the Strangereal universe for the first time since Ace Combat 6 ten years ago. (Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy was a remake of Ace Combat 2, so that one doesn’t count.)

What is Ace Combat?

Please consult this handy chart:

That doesn't tell me anything...

Too bad.

What is “Strangereal”?
Strangereal is the fan-given (later creator adopted) name for the fictionalized universe the mainline Ace Combat games are set in. The name comes from a trailer for Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies which describes the setting as a “strange, real world,” and Project ACES, the developer of Ace Combat would later come to use the term themselves, particularly in heralding Ace Combat 7’s return to the setting.

In short: Strangereal is an alternate version of our real world Earth with certain elements rearranged, like landmasses and histories and the like. Every numbered Ace Combat has been set in Strangereal and the setting is notable and beloved by fans for its worldbuilding and ongoing and interconnected chronology between games. The last two “big” games in the franchise, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon and Infinity moved away from Strangereal and were instead set on fictionalized version of our real world Earth, which ultimately proved contentious with fans.

That the franchise is returning to Strangereal shows that Project ACES wants to get back to its roots after a few informative experiments and missteps.

Story
While Project ACES has been tight lipped about details of AC7’s plot, we do know a few things from the various trailers so far:

• Skies Unknown’s story is centered around a war between the Osean Federation (the protagonist nation of Ace Combat 5) and the Kingdom of Erusea (formerly the Federal Republic of Erusea, the antagonist nation of Ace Combat 04).
  • Set in the year 2020, the story takes place 10 years after Ace Combat 5 and 5 years after Ace Combat 6.
  • The story will be told through multiple narrators, similar to Ace Combat 6’s story, with each character having a different level of insight on events than the others.
  • “Comparison” is a key theme of the story. IE: “Rookie vs. Veteran,” “Perception vs. Reality,” “Technology vs. Biology,” ect.
  • The story will take place both on the Osean and Usean continents of Strangereal.
  • It will feature callbacks to Ace Combat 04, and Ace Combat 5.
  • The radio dialog is written by Ace Combat 04's head writer.
  • The advent of drone warfare and AI-controlled planes will factor into the story, possibly (finally) linking the mainline Ace Combats in with Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere.
  • Your protagonist pilot’s call sign is Trigger, aka Mage 2.

Other Cool Stuff
Ace Combat 7 is bringing a ton of cool new features and elements to the table as well.

- Weather! (Realistic weather patterns that will affect gameplay)
- VR support for PlayStation VR! (Only for PlayStation VR)
- Special VR-exclusive missions! (Again, exclusive to PSVR)
- Three DLC story missions!
- Century Fighters! (such as the F-104 Starfighter)
- More Ace Combat Superweapons! (Such as the AAS Arsenal Bird and Stonehenge)
- A frickin’ Space Elevator!
- Frickin’ laser beam weapons for your planes!
- Unreal Engine 4! (AC7 is the first AC game to be built on a third party engine, period)
- Online Multiplayer! (see: Ace Combat: Infinity)
- Local Multiplayer! (The first game since Ace Combat Zero to feature it)
- Chinese localization! (The first Ace Combat period to be dubbed in Chinese)
- And more! (probably not much more… but who knows!)

Plane Roster

The following planes have been confirmed so far for Ace Combat 7:

• A-10C Thunderbolt II
  • Rafale M
  • Mirage 2000-5
  • EF-2000 Typhoon
  • Grippen E
  • MiG-12bis Fishbed
  • MiG-29A Fulcrum
  • MiG-31 Foxhound
  • F-4E Phantom II
  • F-15C Eagle
  • F-15J Eagle
  • F-15E Strike Eagle
  • F-16C Fighting Falcon
  • F/A-18F Super Hornet
  • F-22A Raptor
  • YF-23 Blackwidow II
  • F-35C Lightning II
  • Su-30SM
  • Su-302M
  • Su-33 Flanker-D
  • Su-35 Flanker-E
  • Su-47 Berkut
  • Su-57
  • F-2A Viper Zero
  • F-104 Starfighter
  • A new Super Plane
  • Probably a few returning Super Planes (IE: the ADF-01 FALKEN, ADXF-01 Morgan, X-02 Wyvern, XFA-27 Scarface, ect)
  • And (probably) more!

Screenshots

Trailers & Other Useful Links
Ace Combat 7 Deluxe Edition for Nintendo Switch Trailer
Ace Combat 7 25th Anniversary Free DLC Update
Ace Combat 7 Season Pass: SP Mission Trailer
Ace Combat 7 Season Pass Teaser
Ace Combat 7 Golden Joystick Awards Trailer
:woop: Ace Combat 7 RELEASE DATE Trailer :woop:
Ace Combat 7 E3 2018 Trailer
Ace Combat 7 Gamescon 2017 Trailer - Erusea Strikes Back!
Ace Combat 7 E3 2017 Trailer
Ace Combat 7 Announcement Trailer
Ace Combat 7 PlayStation Experience 2016 Trailer
Ace Combat 7 New Year’s Showcase Extended Trailer
Ace Combat.com
Ace Combat on Facebook
Project ACES’ Website (Japanese Only)
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown Website (Japanese Only)
Acepedia: The Ace Combat Wiki

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hell yeah I can't wait. Gonna cure millions of planes and nobody is gonna stop me.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Ace Combat freakin' owns and I'm super excited for 7. Another thing to note is that Keiki Kobayashi, the longtime composer for the music in the series, is back, so expect an awesome OST.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Oh you bastard, still no release date announced I see. I thought for sure "oh an AC7 thread, must have announced the release date".

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I'm just hoping that this game is better than the recent :mediocre:/bad games like 6 or Assault Horizon.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm so glad I have a PS4 for this. I'd get the VR helmet, but this would be the only game I use it for.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Shinjobi posted:

I'm so glad I have a PS4 for this. I'd get the VR helmet, but this would be the only game I use it for.
:same: but it's still really tempting because this is basically the perfect game for it

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Looking forward to leading mighty Osea to another victory :911:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
About time. Not looking forward to the usual cluster-gently caress of compatability DLC, and creepy anime girls on wings though. :stare:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I'm hoping that when the PC release comes out, someone breaks it open and finds out they included all the VR stuff and mod it to work on PC.

Cuz drat, Ace Combat seems like the perfect demo for VR and I'd seriously consider buying an Oculus or whatever the cool VR headset is these days, for this game.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
It'll be just VR missions (like side-missions taking place at the same time of the main game, playing along to it some way, we'll see at E3?) but drat I will play it until my neck starts to hurt. Probably more than the main game, because that's what VR does, it ruins everything else :(

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm excited to play Ace Combat 7 on the personal computer and also to be able to delete dialogue audio files.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
But can you Take It All Away?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Holy crap I can play the Starfighter?!?!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I have a flightstick that I use for War Thunder on PS4, any idea whether this will support it?

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I'm in!! Just played 4 for the first time and it was pretty sweet. Wanna bomb the poo poo outta more super weapons while awful dialogue booms over the radio comms.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
This game is going to be good and I'm probably going to buy it on PC and PS4 because I'm dumb

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Renaissance Spam posted:

Holy crap I can play the Starfighter?!?!

I'm holding out for a Delta Dart
Special weapon- AIR2 Genie

Also the return of the Scooter, its a tragedy only AC2 gives you the A4D/A-4.

Insert name here posted:

This game is going to be good and I'm probably going to buy it on PC and PS4 because I'm dumb

I have AH on PS3 and PC, so it's less dumb than that at least

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Insert name here posted:

:same:

If I've built my new computer by the time this comes out then I'll definitely get VR for it so my dumb rear end can fall out of my chair trying to look back and up during an immelman.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is 6 meant to be bad? I still have a copy even though I don't have a 360 anymore, I think I had some vain hope that it would be added to the backwards compatibility list for xb1 for some dumb reason. I wonder if you can emulate the ps2 games properly now, as it would be cool to play them again without having to drag my old ps2 out of storage.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Shortness of the campaign aside, I actually quite liked each missions (be it dialogue, gameplay or cutscenes). The competitive coop is also up my alley. Really looking forward to this title.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

track day bro! posted:

Is 6 meant to be bad?

Just the story and cutscenes, AFAIK. Gameplay is some of the series best.

Only played a bit since I never owned a 360, but got to do its version of Bunkershot. drat fine mission, can recommend giving it a go over AH. Infinity felt somewhat similar, which I have sunk a lot of time in though no idea whats happened to it in the last year

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

track day bro! posted:

Is 6 meant to be bad? I still have a copy even though I don't have a 360 anymore, I think I had some vain hope that it would be added to the backwards compatibility list for xb1 for some dumb reason. I wonder if you can emulate the ps2 games properly now, as it would be cool to play them again without having to drag my old ps2 out of storage.

6 is really polarizing. People don't like it because it's story is dumb and aren't really any likable characters in it, but gameplay-wise it's probably one of the tighter Ace Combats I've ever played. It certainly sold well enough to hit Platinum Hits status for the 360. Though really, the only mainline game to that didn't get Greatest Hits/Platinum status was Ace Combat Zero, and that was only because it came out at the very end of the PS2's life cycle.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
6 isn't bad. The fact that it's the only proper AC on that generation of hardware counts for a lot. Having dozens of units on the map during a major battle is a lot more impressive than the 10 or so the PS2 games can manage.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

track day bro! posted:

I wonder if you can emulate the ps2 games properly now, as it would be cool to play them again without having to drag my old ps2 out of storage.

You can. I played through all three on an emulator two years ago, and only ran into a few avoidable performance issues, like needing to use the HUD only camera option.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I bet that AC6's story, while pretty meh, wouldn't have been nearly as loathed if it wasn't for the goddamn stupid "dance with angels" or whatever line they continuously spout.

I don't know if it was the repetition, or the delivery of the lines, or what, but it really grates for some reason.

Oh and that silly bioweapon mission that doesn't make any sense.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

VKing posted:

I bet that AC6's story, while pretty meh, wouldn't have been nearly as loathed if it wasn't for the goddamn stupid "dance with angels" or whatever line they continuously spout.

I don't know if it was the repetition, or the delivery of the lines, or what, but it really grates for some reason.

Oh and that silly bioweapon mission that doesn't make any sense.

GO DANCE WITH THE ANGELS!

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Thoughts on what Soviet-bloc counterparts to the F-104 there might be? The only Russian plane in the Wikipedia "Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era" section for the F-104 is the Su-15, which I'd never really heard of before, so I have to assume they'll go with something a bit more high profile like maybe the MiG-17. And speaking of early MiGs...God I hope they put the F-84 in there. Flying that thing with its loving SIX CANNONS was probably the only 100% enjoyable thing about HAWX 2.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm basically looking for a shattered skies part two in terms of gameplay. Will this suit my needs? Will the skies be broken like glass in any way?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

VKing posted:

It's 100% repetition and the fact the game treats it like some super cool, huge burn whenever people say it. It just sounds dumb, which is appropriate for the 8 year old character who says it the first time. Every time after that is extremely not good.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

This game better not have Dogfight Mode. That's the only thing that would keep me from getting it.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

This game better not have Dogfight Mode. That's the only thing that would keep me from getting it.

This.

I love the fact that there's finally a PC version, though. Maybe I'll finally buy one of these games instead of borrowing friends' playstations.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

VKing posted:

it is the very definition of a forced meme. :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly, I think they've hit the pinnacle of classic Ace Combat gameplay with Infinity. Sure, the game has about eight billion problems as a whole, but it plays perfectly. Just give me more of that and don't throw in anything else unnecessary.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Evil Eagle posted:

Going by early Q&As they learned from their mistakes, especially that one.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Evil Eagle posted:

I still don't really get what they were thinking with that. DFM effectively removed what makes the games fun.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I enjoyed the helicopters tbh. Doubtful they'll return, but I really liked them.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

turn off the TV posted:

I still don't really get what they were thinking with that. DFM effectively removed what makes the games fun.

Yep, not sure the thought process in making every 3rd enemy require a QTE minigame to shoot down.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

CitizenKain posted:

Yep, not sure the thought process in making every 3rd enemy require a QTE minigame to shoot down.

It was probably something along the lines of -
Oh poo poo HAWX came out, that's the only other game ever to challenge our niche, quick, copy something from it so we can attract HAWX players to compete with the inevitable HAWX juggernaut.

Never mind the fact that HAWX was a critical and commercial failure that only got a sequel for Ubisoft Reasons, of course, but it's a a Japanese dev trying to do US/EU market research, they aren't very good at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

SilentW posted:

It was probably something along the lines of -
Oh poo poo HAWX came out, that's the only other game ever to challenge our niche, quick, copy something from it so we can attract HAWX players to compete with the inevitable HAWX juggernaut.

Never mind the fact that HAWX was a critical and commercial failure that only got a sequel for Ubisoft Reasons, of course, but it's a a Japanese dev trying to do US/EU market research, they aren't very good at that.

HAWX is one of those games I'm pretty sure I played, but I no memory of anything in that game.