Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

YF-23 posted:

I figured out how to pull them off, and have done so a handful of times, and they seem like the least useful thing in the world. I don't understand how people draw that much utility from them, for me it feels like you have to make your plane unmanoeuvrable and then the result is that your plane is still unmanoeuvrable but is now facing up or something.

That's kind of the idea of PSMs in real life, isn't it? You can't pull out of the kulbit, but you can just let it slide through and do a move faster or in a shorter amount of time than you would have if you had remained within stall limits. Hell, one of the more famous ones, the Cobra, was invented by the Swedes to counter newer aircraft with their older ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Hahaha goddammit. I screwed up the tunnel assault on the SOLG because the core just looked like a wall and I thought "Nah that can't be the target, it's just a plain gray wall."

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Ugh the random arches on the exit that are just wider than your plane are some really mean design choices. I'd love this game so much more with a few checkpoints to make this poo poo less punishing. This is forced tedium.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You don't have to do a tunnel run to defeat the SOLG.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McGavin posted:

They're talking about the one in ACES, the mission prior to the SOLG fight.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

McGavin posted:

P sure they're just talking about the sudentor assault in 27.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I found this video useful in understanding how to do the PSMs. I haven't gotten good at it, but I can at least start it semi reliably. This video and most others I've seen always have metric units set, just a heads up for :911: like me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RISyK1r8E38

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Deeters posted:

I found this video useful in understanding how to do the PSMs. I haven't gotten good at it, but I can at least start it semi reliably. This video and most others I've seen always have metric units set, just a heads up for :911: like me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RISyK1r8E38

Leave it to a Russian to figure out how to do insane poo poo with a fighter plane :rolleyes:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

McGavin posted:

You can though if you really wanted to. The textures are kinda fucky but there *is* a narrow tunnel along the main body so you can fly into the SOLG and go straight for the core. :black101:

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

madeintaipei posted:

You know how the drones and top aces go a full 180° when you are behind them and locked on? That's what they are doing. Pop a PSM right as they start the turn and the drones just kind of give up for long enough to get a missile in.

SOL 1 will gently caress you up for pulling that poo poo, just like the cutscene shows. When he magically flies away from you, go 180° from him, PSM into his line of flight towards you, and it presents an almost guaranteed shot head on.

Think of Ace Combat's, er, combat, as a dance.
Polonaise in 3D space. You're the person cutting in on every couple on the dance floor. Find the rhythm in a highly formalized environment and cut through the gaps, not giving a gently caress. Just. Keep. Dancing.

I've just realized that Project Aces snuck in a AC6 reference. You're dueling with Sol 1, whose callsign is Archange. You're dancing with an angel.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

They're talking about the one in ACES, the mission prior to the SOLG fight.

I pulled up your Let's Play from a while back just to see if there are any more gotchas later in the tunnel.

Not having checkpoints does up the tension of those moments considerably because you know you have to do the whole thing in one go... but it quickly breaks down having to do the same things and hear the same dialogue repeatedly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jolo posted:

I pulled up your Let's Play from a while back just to see if there are any more gotchas later in the tunnel.

Not having checkpoints does up the tension of those moments considerably because you know you have to do the whole thing in one go... but it quickly breaks down having to do the same things and hear the same dialogue repeatedly.

The main gotchas of the ACES tunnel run are the SOLG control unit coming out of nowhere, Hamilton being scripted to rubber band you and being invincible, a few plane spawns coming from the Belkan end towards you--including the Named Ace (where you unlock Yellow 13's colours), and some dick move scaffolding and cranes that you can fly into in the final stretch, and I think a couple of gates closing.

The tunnel run in 5 is actually one of the easier runs in the series. You've got plenty of room to move around and rudder your way through a lot of it. 04 and 7's are much harder in comparison.

Also thanks for the watch :buddy:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
How do I do mission 6? I am real bad at this game

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

Is that the pipeline destruction one? Which part is giving you trouble?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Use anything other than the A-10, it's too slow for this mission. SFFS and 4AGMs are a good choice for special weaponry.

Go for the easiest targets first. For us that'll be the airfield, with it's bombers and fuel tanks. Ignore the helicopter base in the canyons for now. Feel free to destroy the truck convoys and clusters of ground targets on the way. Once you have wrecked the place it'll probably be time to rearm. Shoot down targets of opportunity at the heli base on the way back, paying special attention to the few aircraft, AH64s and Harriers.
Rearm, now fly to the storage depot and destroy the tightly clustered warehouses there. Plenty of aircraft should be following you now, usually a few high point value planes will push your score over the edge. The heli base provides plenty of stationary targets if you'd rather not deal with air-to-air combat, but the SAMs there can be nasty.

Fast jet, special weapons with spread damage or multi-lock on, airbase, storage depot, helicopter base.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

madeintaipei posted:

Use anything other than the A-10, it's too slow for this mission. SFFS and 4AGMs are a good choice for special weaponry.

Go for the easiest targets first. For us that'll be the airfield, with it's bombers and fuel tanks. Ignore the helicopter base in the canyons for now. Feel free to destroy the truck convoys and clusters of ground targets on the way. Once you have wrecked the place it'll probably be time to rearm. Shoot down targets of opportunity at the heli base on the way back, paying special attention to the few aircraft, AH64s and Harriers.
Rearm, now fly to the storage depot and destroy the tightly clustered warehouses there. Plenty of aircraft should be following you now, usually a few high point value planes will push your score over the edge. The heli base provides plenty of stationary targets if you'd rather not deal with air-to-air combat, but the SAMs there can be nasty.

Fast jet, special weapons with spread damage or multi-lock on, airbase, storage depot, helicopter base.

I did use the a10 at first but yeah it is way to slow. I tried a mirage with ugb but they werent really effective. I dont think I have a plane or am even close to unlocking one that's both fast and has 4agm

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

I did use the a10 at first but yeah it is way to slow. I tried a mirage with ugb but they werent really effective. I dont think I have a plane or am even close to unlocking one that's both fast and has 4agm

UGB isn’t really good in that mission, a ton of the ground targets in the first phase have giant secondary explosions that take out everything around them.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I mean, LAGMs on the MiG29 should work. LASMs, too. Those are available on many aircraft. You'd just have to aggressively use regular missiles at close range.
I'll try it a few different ways with earlier aircraft and get back to you.

In the mean time, feel free to lower the difficulty any time you are frustrated, especially early on. Ace Combat is designed to be played through multiple times. You might come back to this mission later with better understanding of the map and strategies to beat it. A few missions that I didn't like the first few times are now my favorites.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Hit fuel tanks to take out things in secondary explosions. Hit a fuel tank and then hit one further away (not in the same line) with the second missile.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

madeintaipei posted:

I mean, LAGMs on the MiG29 should work. LASMs, too. Those are available on many aircraft. You'd just have to aggressively use regular missiles at close range.
I'll try it a few different ways with earlier aircraft and get back to you.

In the mean time, feel free to lower the difficulty any time you are frustrated, especially early on. Ace Combat is designed to be played through multiple times. You might come back to this mission later with better understanding of the map and strategies to beat it. A few missions that I didn't like the first few times are now my favorites.

I do have the mig29 so I'll give that a go. The game doesn't let me change the difficulty on a mission I haven't completed, so it looks like I'd have to start from the beginning and then play through the entire game on easy?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

not worth re-doing a quarter of the game just to play on easy, imo.
for ground attack missions, speed and range is king; you will spend most of your time moving between clusters of targets, so minimizing that means more points per time. if you have the gripen, consider bringing that with LACMs. otherwise, LAGMs are good for that mission and quite a few others.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Having a hell of a time on mission 11. All the pointers for this mission say to target the "Core" enemies as they'll knock out their corresponding targets when destroyed, but I swear it's like finding a needle in a haystack when I'm swapping between targets. Or, I switch to one as a target and accidentally blow past it, then overshoot and have to turn around and do it all over again which is killing me time-wise. Is there a trick to rapidly switching targets, or do I just need to git gud?

Any suggestions for this mission? The other suggestions I see are to use the Rafale and blast everything with long range cruise missiles, but I just grinded out the F-22 and don't feel like going back to grind out the Rafale.

On a happier note, it's starting to click a bit in multiplayer. There are still obvious aces who blast everyone and end the game with 100k+ points, but for the most part I'm holding my own, not just blasting missiles at everyone with no chance of hitting them, and lining up my shots. Whoever mentioned that holding the target button locks your view on your current target is a saint; it's not mentioned in any tooltips or anything, so I probably never would have known otherwise.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Do you have any planes with pulse lasers? It’s easy to just dump those at the core and call it a day. Guns will do fine in a pinch, I guess.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Fly inside the platforms.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Also for the core sections of the bases, you have to make sure you have a clear shot in them and at the right angle. Phone posting so I can’t easily link screenshots or a video, but they’re easiest to spot on the ocean platform. I had to replay the mission once or twice before it clicked that you have to be level with them for a regular missile to actually hit, and which little objects on the platforms need to be avoided as the missiles won’t get through otherwise.

And yeah, pulse lasers are particularly effective against them.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The Midniter posted:

Having a hell of a time on mission 11. All the pointers for this mission say to target the "Core" enemies as they'll knock out their corresponding targets when destroyed, but I swear it's like finding a needle in a haystack when I'm swapping between targets. Or, I switch to one as a target and accidentally blow past it, then overshoot and have to turn around and do it all over again which is killing me time-wise. Is there a trick to rapidly switching targets, or do I just need to git gud?

Any suggestions for this mission? The other suggestions I see are to use the Rafale and blast everything with long range cruise missiles, but I just grinded out the F-22 and don't feel like going back to grind out the Rafale.

On a happier note, it's starting to click a bit in multiplayer. There are still obvious aces who blast everyone and end the game with 100k+ points, but for the most part I'm holding my own, not just blasting missiles at everyone with no chance of hitting them, and lining up my shots. Whoever mentioned that holding the target button locks your view on your current target is a saint; it's not mentioned in any tooltips or anything, so I probably never would have known otherwise.

Have you played around with the EML? It's basically a sniper rifle. The aircraft carrier can be brought down before AEGIS even knows you are there. The Core targets can be hit with it as soon as you can see them for a one hit kill. I've been smashing the fleet and all ships up to before where the platform launches planes at you, rearming, and destroying the northern platforms for and easy win.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Mission 11 use an F-22. Load anti-air, attack the central platforms but you’re only worried about the high value airplanes. Make your way south as you run low on AA missiles, land and switch to bombs. Now go after the platforms. Central (north platforms you’re essentially doing a low speed trench run.

West platforms you need to get low to the water and take out the two with their core underneath the platforms, then make a few passes at the others, making sure to get clean shots through all their structure.

Ret of the mission is AA for lagniappe.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Nanomashoes posted:

Fly inside the platforms.

this, really.
what i always do is beeline for the north platform and approach directly in-line with the runway. bring pulse lasers ideally but even normal missiles with guns will do. flying through the platform will give you a perfect shot at the cores and also feels cool as heck which is equally important. nailing the cores is harder on the western base but doable if your approach is good. otherwise, once you've turned the northern base into a delicious sandwich you can use your pulse lasers to farm the ships for points.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GD_American posted:

Mission 11 use an F-22. Load anti-air, attack the central platforms but you’re only worried about the high value airplanes. Make your way south as you run low on AA missiles, land and switch to bombs. Now go after the platforms. Central (north platforms you’re essentially doing a low speed trench run.

West platforms you need to get low to the water and take out the two with their core underneath the platforms, then make a few passes at the others, making sure to get clean shots through all their structure.

Ret of the mission is AA for lagniappe.

If you’re trying to beat mission 11 for the first time, no way in hell do you have an F22. Maybe at launch if you did a ton of multiplayer but I’m pretty sure that’s super dead at this point.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I thought he meant trying to get S on it.

Just passing it? Take your best AA plane and go pure air-to-air. Plenty of points abound.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Learning how to fly through the platforms and serving up sandwiches is a vital element of the Ace Combat 7 experience. :colbert:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Learning how to fly through the platforms and serving up sandwiches is a vital element of the Ace Combat 7 experience. :colbert:

listen to this man. yes, it's efficient to just clown on planes all day but come on

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

MiG 21 with gun pods is always the right choice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32KhcF5VE4Y

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

i mean yeah guns only mig-21 is a great fun way to play, highly recommend it to everyone, but not when you're still getting the hang of it all

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I do have the mig29 so I'll give that a go. The game doesn't let me change the difficulty on a mission I haven't completed, so it looks like I'd have to start from the beginning and then play through the entire game on easy?

Lame about the difficulty. I forgot about that.

Okay. I tried Mission 6 with a few airplanes.
F-4E/LAGM: barely made it on Ace. Do not recommend. Not maneuverable enough for drones.
F2A/LASM: made it with 30s to spare. Lots of work. Plane is more than fast enough.
MiG-29/LAGM/4AAM: S ranked, a very luck run. Wiped the airfield and heli base with LAGMs, then went in with 4AAMs and got lucky enough to splash most of the drones at range. 0 MSL and special ammo left, 700 gun ammo remaining. This, I think, is the way to go.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

i mean yeah guns only mig-21 is a great fun way to play, highly recommend it to everyone, but not when you're still getting the hang of it all

Nonsense. Sink or swim with the Fishbed.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Warmachine posted:

Nonsense. Sink or swim with the Phantom.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Nonsense. Sink or swim with the Starfighter.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
imo using the F-22 with small diameter bombs is basically cheating on any mission with a significant number of ground targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Honestly- the LACM used on the Gripen are decent. It does top attack, and has an area affect. Pretty sure I used them well against the platforms. They're a good option in Yinshi Valley and the Waipolla Mountains (spelling can eat a dick) for when you can't be bothered evading missiles / mountains.