Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
They never made it for the Playstation, did they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

fartknocker posted:

I may end up replaying AC6 after all this discussion of it, since I don’t think I’ve played it in a decade...

The missions are very good, it's a great game if you forgive the dialogue.

e: I also miss the little window that shows you a render of your target.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 30, 2020

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

General Battuta posted:

The missions are very good, it's a great game if you forgive the dialogue.

e: I also miss the little window that shows you a render of your target.

Oh yeah, I played the hell out of it at the time. It’s just been forever.

I noticed it’s backwards compatible on Xbox One, so I’m tempted to play it there, but obviously all my saves are on the ol’ 360, and I’d like to use the Nosferatu again sooner rather than later (I have zero memory of what it took to unlock) and just swat everything down...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Ghost bear is the best clan, just like Ace Combat is the best gundam

I'm still waiting for someone at Bandai Namco to get the bright idea to see if the Project Aces team can make a Gundam game.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
AC6 still is the best at having grand scale battles, but the AC7 DLC was pretty on par with it, and I would love to see the next mainline game continue that trend.

And man, I can't even imagine playing this series and not embracing the anime.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah AC6 has some killer missions that I remember much more fondly than the vanilla AC7 missions despite AC7 generally playing better overall imo. The AC7 DLC missions are, of course, in a league of their own.

But yeah play AC6 if you can, laugh at the catchphrase, and then fly through the aigaion.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

AC6 still is the best at having grand scale battles, but the AC7 DLC was pretty on par with it, and I would love to see the next mainline game continue that trend.

And man, I can't even imagine playing this series and not embracing the anime.

The massive battles in AC6 were why I spent more time playing it than any other game in the series, despite sinking my teeth into the games way back with AC2. I rented 3 for a weekend after it came out, and never bothered with it again... not because of the neutered story in the U.S. version, but because I didn't like the sci-fi spaceship planes. Went back to playing 2.

I can enjoy the cheesy anime melodrama they put into the series, I just wish it was less Macross and more Area 88. I just don't care for any of the fictional jets.

I'm glad you'll all have fun playing with ADMMs again, but they aren't my cup of tea.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 30, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Warmachine posted:

I'm still waiting for someone at Bandai Namco to get the bright idea to see if the Project Aces team can make a Gundam game.

I'm still sad, though not surprised, that nobody ever tried contracting the project ACES guys to do a modern successor to Rogue Squadron or Tie Fighter.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

fartknocker posted:

Oh yeah, I played the hell out of it at the time. It’s just been forever.

I noticed it’s backwards compatible on Xbox One, so I’m tempted to play it there, but obviously all my saves are on the ol’ 360, and I’d like to use the Nosferatu again sooner rather than later (I have zero memory of what it took to unlock) and just swat everything down...

Quick update on this, which I didn't know before searching it myself, is you can transfer the saves over. I just did a quick run through the first mission and the Nosferatu missile spam remains fun. Probably gonna replay the whole campaign now. I think all my save dates were from 2007. :corsair:

Only downside is I didn't have any of the DLC, and you can't get any of it anymore for some reason. I think it was just skins anyway, and I'll probably spend most of my time using the Nosferatu anyway.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I'm still sad, though not surprised, that nobody ever tried contracting the project ACES guys to do a modern successor to Rogue Squadron or Tie Fighter.

Star Wars isn’t anime enough.

How about Star Fox, though? That’d probably be great for their brand of gritty-cheese melodrama, and would give them tons of latitude for making 3D levels and new super weapons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

fartknocker posted:

Quick update on this, which I didn't know before searching it myself, is you can transfer the saves over. I just did a quick run through the first mission and the Nosferatu missile spam remains fun. Probably gonna replay the whole campaign now. I think all my save dates were from 2007. :corsair:

Only downside is I didn't have any of the DLC, and you can't get any of it anymore for some reason. I think it was just skins anyway, and I'll probably spend most of my time using the Nosferatu anyway.

Namco pulled the DLC line off of Xbox Marketplace in early 2017 for... basically no reason. While skins were the majority of the content, this also included the Ace of Aces special missions which were turbo difficult. You can pirate the DLC from various places, but to actually run it you need a hardmoded Xbox 360 and a program like Horizon and a bunch of other super sketchy steps to the point where it's barely worth the effort.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bartkusa posted:

Star Wars isn’t anime enough.

How about Star Fox, though? That’d probably be great for their brand of gritty-cheese melodrama, and would give them tons of latitude for making 3D levels and new super weapons.

There actually was, allegedly, a lot of crossover between the StarFox team and Project Aces. Rumour has it that folks from PA worked on StarFox Assault for the GameCube, and Ace Combat has a bunch of StarFox nods littered throughout it like Fox Force Four in Ace Combat 2 and Operation Katina in Ace Combat 5, and the StarFox skin Amiibo FALKEN in Assault Horizon Legacy.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
the only part of the 'let's just remix the existing stuff but harder' DLC for 6 that I remember an absolutely astounding amount of antiaircraft fire coming off a carrier battle group or something? It was genuinely difficult to get in close and hit them, which was unlike more or less everything else in 6.

the DLC was extremely disappointing overall but that part was memorable

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

fartknocker posted:

In theory. My 360 saves were on a360 that got stolen so now you can't transfer saves or save when playing on the xbox1 for my gt. Offline saves only. Apparently xbl can't just delete the saves that are pending to unstick everything either and couldn't get any of the support tickets to do anything.

Edit according to the community support forums when i was screwing with it sometimes the saves just get locked in tending upload and there's nothing you can do

Stravag fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 31, 2020

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I just played a game of TDM during which the final score was ~120k to...887. I got 887 points by hitting the enemy with a single machine gun round, and also a missile.

I got downed approximately a dozen times, 10 of which were by machine gun.

How in the hell is someone killing me so many times with a machine gun? I'm doing literally everything I can to get out of his way, but nothing worked. He was an absolute surgeon.

I'm guessing he's got....thousands upon thousands of hours in Ace Combat games.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The Midniter posted:

I just played a game of TDM during which the final score was ~120k to...887. I got 887 points by hitting the enemy with a single machine gun round, and also a missile.

I got downed approximately a dozen times, 10 of which were by machine gun.

How in the hell is someone killing me so many times with a machine gun? I'm doing literally everything I can to get out of his way, but nothing worked. He was an absolute surgeon.

I'm guessing he's got....thousands upon thousands of hours in Ace Combat games.

And also every cannon upgrade part he can muster. It’s more this part btw.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hey, what's the best weapon to use to damage Mihaly to end the level faster in missions 7 and 15?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

McGavin posted:

Hey, what's the best weapon to use to damage Mihaly to end the level faster in missions 7 and 15?

I think QAAMs are the ones with superior tracking?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you can hit him consistently with the railgun he goes down super fast.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

McGavin posted:

He has plot armor in 15, it’s not really a matter of how much damage you do because of how scripted the encounter is. This vid shows the quick way to handle him https://youtu.be/7o0fV4CHfdE

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

nine-gear crow posted:

There actually was, allegedly, a lot of crossover between the StarFox team and Project Aces. Rumour has it that folks from PA worked on StarFox Assault for the GameCube, and Ace Combat has a bunch of StarFox nods littered throughout it like Fox Force Four in Ace Combat 2 and Operation Katina in Ace Combat 5, and the StarFox skin Amiibo FALKEN in Assault Horizon Legacy.

Lookit this guy, never saw the Fox Force Five pilot

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chunderbucket posted:

Lookit this guy, never saw the Fox Force Five pilot

nine-gear crow posted:

FOX FORCE FOUR

Project Aces’ love affair with grindhouse genre films continues, this time with a reference to a modern grindhouse classic, Quinten Tarantino’s Pulp Fiction. In the film, Uma Thurman’s character, Mia Wallace, tells John Travolta’s character, Vincent Vega, an anecdote about a failed TV pilot she’d recently filmed called Fox Force Five, about a squad of five female assassins.

The story Mia tells in Pulp Fiction served as the genesis point for the Kill Bill duology, as Tarantino and Thurman workshopped the idea into a whole film while finishing work on Pulp Fiction. The members of Fox Force Five that Mia describes in her story are a near 1:1 match for the Kill Bill characters of Elle Driver, O-Ren Ishii, Vernita Green, Sophie Fatale, and Beatrix Kiddo (aka The Bride).

Here in Ace Combat 2, however, they are retooled and renamed into Fox Force Four (abbreviated FFF in-game), and molded into a stealth reference to StarFox. Fox Force Four flies a flight of four very Arwing-esque YF-23As, each of which is painted in the colours that have come to represent the four core members of the StarFox team; blue for Falco Lombardi, red for Peppy Hare, green for Slippy Toad, and yellow for Fox McCloud.

It’s also worth noting that StarFox 64 came out in Japan just over a month prior to Ace Combat 2 (April 27, 1997, to AC2’s May 30, 1997), so this is most likely Project Aces slipping in a nod to its cross-platform competition on the Nintendo 64.

Ahem.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

My apologies, NGC clearly brings the Deep Lore

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Mobius "Slippy" One

this is now thread canon, sorry everyone

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Psion posted:

Mobius "Slippy" One

this is now thread canon, sorry everyone

Mobius' signature color is blue, so obviously it's Mobius "Falco" One :colbert:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

That'd make Yellow 13 Fox and... Pixy as Peppy? Sure, that works.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Psion posted:

That'd make Yellow 13 Fox and... Pixy as Peppy? Sure, that works.

I'm pretty sure we have a pilot with a fox emblem already. One who shares a game with the Ribbon pilot, even.

(Also, judging from his track record, one who could kick Yellow 13's rear end)

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

One thing that I enjoyed from AC6 that isn't present in AC7 is when allies killed an enemy it still gave you points ( I think not as much as if you killed it) it's very annoying in AC7 when you're dogfighting a plane and your ally gets the kill on it and you get no points

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Does this mean Bill is Blaze? (He's a war dog after all :haw:)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Might be of interest to some folks here, but SuperOstritch, the dude behind the Ace Combat X HD Texture Pack has just released the Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy + HD Texture Pack, which is a full HD upscale of the textures of the 3DS remake of Ace Combat 2, which is now allegedly playable and stable on the 3DS emulator Citra.

Citra's still a work in progress, especially when it comes to AHL (the most recent build I played it with suffered crazy slowdown once there were more than 10 enemies on the screen, but it seems to be getting better each iteration, very slowly), but if you're at all interested in the experiment, it's definitely worth it. The pack he did for ACX (and Joint Assault, for that matter) was really well done.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

https://www.gamingcircle.us/2020/09/ace-combat-7-skies-unknown-premium.html

quote:

Bandai Namco Entertainment has announced that the 17th entry in the Ace Combat franchise, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown is getting a premium edition for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One scheduled to release in Japan on November 5, 2020, for 6,680 Yen. The premium edition will be available physically and digitally for PlayStation 4, while for Xbox One will only release digitally.

The Premium Edition comes with the following:

A copy of Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
A copy of the game's Season Pass
A copy of the game's Original Aircraft Series DLC

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Well poo poo, was hoping it would include the remasters

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

How hilarious would it be if the Nos can't fit up the space elevator?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stravag posted:

Well poo poo, was hoping it would include the remasters

I think that might count as selling them, and they’re only allowed to give them away for free.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blasphemaster posted:

How hilarious would it be if the Nos can't fit up the space elevator?

The CFA-44 is actually in the middle of the road in terms of size, between the Strike Wyvern and the FALKEN in size. If the RAVEN can fit through no problem, then the Nosferatu will breeze through too.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Yeah, replaying AC6 I was surprised that it was a lot sleeker than I remember.

Also, wingman being helpful! I honestly can’t remember the wingmen or allies in AC7 ever doing all that much for me or ever taking a kill like someone else mentioned, where as in 6 it’s awesome to see them all swarming in on a bunch of targets...

Or me and Shamrock both firing ADMM’s at once. :getin:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The CFA-44 is actually in the middle of the road in terms of size, between the Strike Wyvern and the FALKEN in size. If the RAVEN can fit through no problem, then the Nosferatu will breeze through too.

When Kono talked about size in the video, he was talking about specifically the model size in game going from 6 (larger models) to 7 (smaller models). Not the (fictional) mechanical dimensions of the aircraft. At least, I think.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://youtu.be/iL2KFkNVzLg

That was certainly a thing

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Stravag posted:

https://youtu.be/iL2KFkNVzLg

That was certainly a thing

Fucker stole all my jokes for the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

I would kill for an AC:04 remake with the new engine and gameplay but keeping the story (maybe some new missions) and remastering the music and cutscenes