Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It picked up for me a bit once I bought an F-16 or one of the other non-starter planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Missions 5 and 6 were the absolute nadir of the game for me, personally. But it picked up pretty quickly after that, most of the missions from 10 on are great.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The game really clicked with me starting on Eminent Domain and never stopped thereafter.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Maybe it was because I played through PW twice then went back and finished the last two AC7 DLC missions, but I much refer PW's control layout, the UI looks nicer, missile tracking has been discussed before, but other than some of the voiceovers sounding a little amateurish in spots I think I like PW better than AC7. Much easier to get all the planes as well.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Game clicked immediately for me since I got to use my VR headset and HOTAS right out the box with like 2 minutes of fettling.

Seriously VR support puts it over basically every ace combat game in my opinion. Way more immersive, and since Namco isn't bringing VR to Ace Combat 7 on PC, I don't see that changing.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

mulligan posted:

Yeah, I WANT to like it because in theory is everything I'm looking for.

Is it the lack of a timer building tension? It's puzzling...

I just recently did a Ace Combat marathon (4 to 7) so maybe I just need to give it some time, and try again I a few months....

This is probably it OP. There is actually "too much of a good thing."

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Game clicked immediately for me since I got to use my VR headset and HOTAS right out the box with like 2 minutes of fettling.

Seriously VR support puts it over basically every ace combat game in my opinion. Way more immersive, and since Namco isn't bringing VR to Ace Combat 7 on PC, I don't see that changing.

I used an Xbox controller for my VR and skipped the HOTAS, and I'll evangelize for VR PW any day of the week.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Part of me feels that one comic about AC7 getting on PC should be reversed. Instead of Project Wingman getting pushed aside because 'I don't know why I should even bother', now it's 'I don't know why I should even bother' about AC7, kind of.

Incidentally what is "At Skies Edge" and why can I not find any information about it? Google gets me a bunch of unrelated things and the only mention of the game points me to the Shattered Skies LP.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Warmachine posted:

I used an Xbox controller for my VR and skipped the HOTAS, and I'll evangelize for VR PW any day of the week.

I get it, and it's probably smarter to use a controller, but I already have a whole hotas rig sitting here, and I liked having analog control of throttle + yaw/pitch/roll. The key thing was the VR experience, for sure. There's no replacement for seamless head tracking and actual depth perception. The cockpits of some of the older jets are so goddamned cramped, it's hilarious. The most egregious one is the loving avro arrow. I sold that piece of poo poo after 1 mission.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I get it, and it's probably smarter to use a controller, but I already have a whole hotas rig sitting here, and I liked having analog control of throttle + yaw/pitch/roll. The key thing was the VR experience, for sure. There's no replacement for seamless head tracking and actual depth perception. The cockpits of some of the older jets are so goddamned cramped, it's hilarious. The most egregious one is the loving avro arrow. I sold that piece of poo poo after 1 mission.

Just gonna quote myself here, bolded for emphasis

Warmachine posted:

That's gonna be a must-have.

Project Wingman: Gamepad or HOTAS? I have the option for both now, but I'm leaning toward gamepad because it's arcadey. On the other hand, my HOTAS is like a new grill and I'm contractually obligated to use it as often as possible to justify the purchase.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Airspace posted:

Incidentally what is "At Skies Edge" and why can I not find any information about it? Google gets me a bunch of unrelated things and the only mention of the game points me to the Shattered Skies LP.

The best I could find is a reddit post from two years listing other Ace Combat clones including it and a url to its website that now ends with a 404. So it's safe to assume the project is long dead at this point.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Airspace posted:

Part of me feels that one comic about AC7 getting on PC should be reversed. Instead of Project Wingman getting pushed aside because 'I don't know why I should even bother', now it's 'I don't know why I should even bother' about AC7, kind of.

Just replace the entire panel with an orange square. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Bloody Pom posted:

Just replace the entire panel with an orange square. :v:

Or just make it gradually get more orange and the last screen is the guy playing Project Wingman amidst the orange glow. :cheeky:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

piece of poo poo

I WILL CUT YOU :canada:

But also the canopy makes it immediately clear, in a way that just wasn't obvious to me before playing the game, that the Arrow was designed as a true interceptor and not a dogfighter. You don't need a great view out the window when your mission is to blap atomic dumbfire rockets or radar-guided missiles at a Bear formation. It was never even intended to be armed with a cannon, though I bet if it had stuck around it would have got one eventually like the Yanks did to the F-106 and Phantom.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I need to try wireless PW VR again. It was a stutters mess when I did it on my Q2 last, but in retrospect that may have been due to me running it through Oculus via Virtual Desktop; I need to try again by way of SteamVR.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Warbird posted:

I need to try wireless PW VR again. It was a stutters mess when I did it on my Q2 last, but in retrospect that may have been due to me running it through Oculus via Virtual Desktop; I need to try again by way of SteamVR.

I didn't have any issues using VD to stream it wirelessly, but my PC is also very overkill for the job. You might need to mess with some settings on the Q2 though, since the thing is more than happy to let you set resolutions and refresh rates beyond what the device can handle for the workload.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Cooked Auto posted:

The best I could find is a reddit post from two years listing other Ace Combat clones including it and a url to its website that now ends with a 404. So it's safe to assume the project is long dead at this point.

If anyone wants to look at it, the site's archived on the wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20161011121537/http://holymooses.com/ASE/

Doesn't seem like there was ever much to it, just a side project from an indie developer that got a little bit of buzz and then died out after the dev moved on to other projects.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrf2IX_0GH4

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

This is unrelated to AC7 specifically, but I'm trying to access nine-gear-crow's AC4 LP, and the archive link gives me a 404, nor can I find it in the search. Is something up with that, or is it just the Archive having issues?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

This is unrelated to AC7 specifically, but I'm trying to access nine-gear-crow's AC4 LP, and the archive link gives me a 404, nor can I find it in the search. Is something up with that, or is it just the Archive having issues?

I'm getting the same thing, but thankfully original forum threads are still here:

AC2
AC4
AC5
AC6

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Serperoth posted:

Gervasius posted:

I'm getting the same thing, but thankfully original forum threads are still here:

AC2
AC4
AC5
AC6

The URLs in the OPs are pointing to pages that technically aren’t there yet because I haven’t submitted anything past 2 to be archived yet.

Also there’s Ace Combat X, which is getting really close to restarting fairly soon.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

The URLs in the OPs are pointing to pages that technically aren’t there yet because I haven’t submitted anything past 2 to be archived yet.

Also there’s Ace Combat X, which is getting really close to restarting fairly soon.

I was able to locate the thread, but it's good to know I'm not totally losing my marbles.

Thanks for the info both of youse, appreciate it

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Okay, so I've finished reading the 600 page manual for the F-18, watched several hours of youtube tutorials, done a few hours of training flights, and finally got a chance to play Rising Squall. Soundtrack's loving wonderful, to be expected from Kobayashi, and the voice acting is so bad I love it. They did a really clever thing, you can adjust volume for both the voice and music independently within the plane, but I keep them both at max.

What I love most is the awful, genuinely garbage visual novel cutscenes they included. But I love it all, it's so earnest, and it's relatively approachable for a study sim campaign. Can't deny the heavy barrier to entry from it being a full sim though. Keybinds alone made me pull my hair out a few times. If you're into this stuff, highly recommended.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Okay, so I've finished reading the 600 page manual for the F-18, watched several hours of youtube tutorials, done a few hours of training flights, and finally got a chance to play Rising Squall. Soundtrack's loving wonderful, to be expected from Kobayashi, and the voice acting is so bad I love it. They did a really clever thing, you can adjust volume for both the voice and music independently within the plane, but I keep them both at max.

What I love most is the awful, genuinely garbage visual novel cutscenes they included. But I love it all, it's so earnest, and it's relatively approachable for a study sim campaign. Can't deny the heavy barrier to entry from it being a full sim though. Keybinds alone made me pull my hair out a few times. If you're into this stuff, highly recommended.

Sounds like another campaign I'll buy and never touch. Score!

also I don't think anyone's ever gone through the entire manual, they just skim Chuck's guide, RedKite, and if desperate the Grim Reapers channel.

How awful are the cutscenes? Did they somehow manage to wrench in a video player?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

RangerKarl posted:

Sounds like another campaign I'll buy and never touch. Score!

also I don't think anyone's ever gone through the entire manual, they just skim Chuck's guide, RedKite, and if desperate the Grim Reapers channel.

How awful are the cutscenes? Did they somehow manage to wrench in a video player?

The cutscenes are terrible! It's all tucked away in a sub-folder, and it's literally a visual novel on auto. And yeah, by manual, I meant Chuck's guide. Neat thing they do, they highlight every section you need to know for each mission on their website. You never need to cold start, the closest thing you need is carrier launch procedure for Mission 4.

E: I've changed my mind, the cutscenes are fine. There's a romance subplot with the main character and the plane's "owner", the head mechanic on it basically. It's all played pretty drat straight, so it's actually kinda boring, but there's something I find awfully charming about that? It's like Ace Combat 5's characters trying to be as professional as Assault Horizon's. It's very ordinary, very day-to-day, which actually makes it surprisingly engaging when something actually happens.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 15, 2021

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

a pilot romancing the chief mechanic is one wrecked plane (ie one "Cool Pilot poo poo") away from a complete shitstorm

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
This may be an extremely dumb question, but for people running PW in VR: how do you select missions in conquest mode? Nothing I do seems to have any effect, I have no mouse control and the old standby of spacebar/escape does nothing. I couldn't even get back to the menu and had to alt+f4.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Radio Free Kobold posted:

a pilot romancing the chief mechanic is one wrecked plane (ie one "Cool Pilot poo poo") away from a complete shitstorm

Obviously not realistic because maintainers are too busy hating pilots and having disgusting sex with each other to care about Officer/Enlisted relationships lol

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

This may be an extremely dumb question, but for people running PW in VR: how do you select missions in conquest mode? Nothing I do seems to have any effect, I have no mouse control and the old standby of spacebar/escape does nothing. I couldn't even get back to the menu and had to alt+f4.

I haven't tried conquest mode, but pretty much every menu for me has been "look" at the thing I want to click and press A/Space.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Radio Free Kobold posted:

as we all know from the documentary Top Gun, the only canonical relationship is pilot/RIO

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

The only relationship between pilot and maintenance is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frVFiriQOhc

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Psion posted:

as we all know from the documentary Top Gun, the only canonical relationship is canopy/RIO

Fixed

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The trouble is, Goose wanted more out of his career, but it's the fellow up front that gets the glory. There's only so far you can advance as a backseater, and Goose just smacked into that glass ceiling

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Warmachine posted:

I haven't tried conquest mode, but pretty much every menu for me has been "look" at the thing I want to click and press A/Space.

That's what I have been using in all the other menues, and in conquest it very much did not work.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Phy posted:

The trouble is, Goose wanted more out of his career, but it's the fellow up front that gets the glory. There's only so far you can advance as a backseater, and Goose just smacked into that glass ceiling

:mad:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Phy posted:

:frogout:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

oh my god rising squall just became amazing

the main character found out the shocking truth that every country tries to profit from war, they work for a pmc "security company", the captain's like, "dude, if they didn't keep the unrest high we'd be out of a job and there'd be economic and security issues"

dude not only are you literally here bombing the gently caress out of the locals, who you've labelled terrorists and insurgents without thinking about it, you're having a good time doing so, you also have squadmates who are local and they dont give a gently caress

you're not even mad about your home country, who was supplying insurgents with poo poo gear so they wouldn't win but would cause enough trouble so they can send in "peacekeeping forces" to take over some land

it's the guys from the country your company is based in giving them not only good poo poo, but prototype cutting edge gear

this is like ace combat 0 where pixy is the main character but he's as annoying as PJ, it took a while for it to go full stupid but im here for it (also the mechanic girlfriend is shady somehow with an old man on a random airfield)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

How viable is it with no HOTAS and/or a lovely joystick? Can you play it in VR?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Warbird posted:

How viable is it with no HOTAS and/or a lovely joystick? Can you play it in VR?

It's a DCS campaign, so it's a full fidelity flight sim. VR support is there, but the performance is poor unless you have a really good rig since DCS is already an unoptimised piece of poo poo in 2D. HOTAS is strongly recommended, a lovely joystick might be able to do the trick but you'll have a bad time. If you're also not already decently capable with or at least interested in combat flight sims, you'll struggle. I'm having a decently hard time, and I've got about twenty hours in DCS's F-15, maybe thirty in Strike Fighters 2, and hundreds of hours in various WW2 sims. Be ready to do hours of reading and watching tutorial videos, getting confused during a flight because one thing is slightly off, and doing it all again.

It uh, also costs at least £123 if you own nothing, £156 if you want the Supercarrier to make some missions slightly cooler. Just to break that down: The F/A-18C Hornet (Early Access) costs £64.99, the Persian Gulf map costs £40.99, the campaign costs £16.99, for a grand total of £122.97. The Supercarrier (Early Access) costs £32.99. Thankfully, they shipped a version of the campaign that doesn't need a uh, 20% larger aircraft carrier with a few added animations and better textures. When you're paying that much already, I'd highly recommend grabbing a nice HOTAS.

Basically, don't even think about just getting it for Rising Squall unless you have money you're willing to just burn. It's a great gateway drug and learning tool, and if you decide to get into it, check out the DCS thread and join the weekly missions those guys do. I might be flying again with them next weekend, once I'm through with this campaign.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Guess I’ll just go mod VR into Jane’s and dink around with that instead I suppose. One wonders how much overlap there is for DCS and turbo anime arcade flight games. Though I fully expect I could find some just atrocious waifu skins for all sorts of planes pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
realtalk: hardcore flight simming is dad gamer territory when it comes to money