Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

The book Dorne plotline was one I really enjoyed, but considering how they managed to strip every single good moment and character from that arc I was pretty happy to see it end. The shows take on Dorne has been terrible.

Couldn't you edit all of Dorne out without missing anything important? The Tyrells were also kinda just along for the ride after the Sparrows took over in KL but they at least tipped the scales during the fighting with Stannis and tried to outmaneuver Cersei afterwards. The Dornish.... killed a girl who was on screen for 10 minutes, then killed their own king and then died. Dorne could have not existed and this last battle just have been Euron destroying Yara's fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah this show is bad about running something into the ground the moment they find something that fans like.

Also I find it hilarious that the Sand Snakes killed Doran and then did exactly what he was planning on doing anyway.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Euron got stabbed a bunch by the people who poison their weapons all the time and is happy and healthy makes sense by the universe's logic

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 24, 2017

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Also lol at trump voter being confused by the "that's not you" line.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blackchamber posted:

Dany is the GOT character I probably like the least and dreaded all the episodes that lingered on her and I assumed Clarke was just a horrible actress. But I'm with the other poster who liked her in Terminator. Shes a good actress playing a crap character.

she was bad in that terrible movie too.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

terrorist ambulance posted:

Euron got stabbed a bunch by the people who poison their weapons all the time and is happy and healthy makes sense by the universe's logic

tbf poisoning your weapons seems like the sort of thing you'd only do if you plan on using them. Not like they'd just keep some quick dipping poison just sitting around for a long(or short, who knows at this point) boat trip.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
She's good in movies where she isn't horribly miscast. Am I the only goon that liked her in "Me Before You"? I thought she was great in that.

I honestly have no idea why they picked her for Danaerys. Hailee Steinfeld in a wig would be better. Or maybe Elle Fanning. I dunno

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

bloom posted:

tbf poisoning your weapons seems like the sort of thing you'd only do if you plan on using them. Not like they'd just keep some quick dipping poison just sitting around for a long(or short, who knows at this point) boat trip.

Yeah they made a whole point of showing Oberyn having the blades covered with poison under the guise of them being polished right before he had his skull caved in. Wasn't like he was just rolling around with a constantly poisoned weapon.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

There's actually more to Euron than meets the eye so I'll allow it

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Zippy the Bummer posted:

She's good in movies where she isn't horribly miscast. Am I the only goon that liked her in "Me Before You"? I thought she was great in that.

I honestly have no idea why they picked her for Danaerys. Hailee Steinfeld in a wig would be better. Or maybe Elle Fanning. I dunno

she was good in that movie that suggested that good looking, smart, rich quadriplegics who have a beautiful woman in love with them should still kill themselves.

Catching up on thread:

im in awe with how many people completely misunderstood the Arya Nymeria scene. I guess they should have included Arya's Season 1 chat with Ned in the 'previously on' segment.

still dont understand how Cersei is able to hold sny kind of power in a feudal society despite having no land or titles of her own. same for the Dorne prostitute who became leader by killing the royal family.

Theon didnt revert back. he made the right decision by jumping overboard.

Tyrion's conquest tactics make no sense

Sam's leprosy cure makes no sense. I guess its just topical and doesnt infect the bloodstream at all....especially when you carve it off. the procedure is banned because the surgeon forgot to wear personal protective equipment.

I guess Euron's fleet, which was built in s month, was equipped with radar or night vision.

missandei's tits > sand snake tits

good episode 8/10

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TommyGun85 posted:

missandei's tits > sand snake tits

you were doing so well up until this.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

This show is schlock now, but things are happening and they killed sand sneks so I'm not going to hate too hard on this episode.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe there is hope for the show

They just gotta kill bad POOSEH and ellaria

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This show is just a bunch of unreasonable lunatics going around doing poo poo without rhyme or reason. I somehow prefer that to the earlier seasons where it pretended to be something more than it is. The dialogue has become way worse as well which is cool.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Is it me or was the whole "Actually, your translation is wrong! It's technically the prince OR princess!" really awful

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Troposphere posted:

Littlefinger: Jon. Jon. I wanted to bang your mom, and now I want to bang your sister. Jon I want to have sex with your family...Jon!! Does this not endear you to me??

Cat wasnt jons mom.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Oliver Reed posted:

Is it me or was the whole "Actually, your translation is wrong! It's technically the prince OR princess!" really awful

Yeah that was bad

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Oliver Reed posted:

That would've worked so much better between a Valyrian and non-Valyrian speaker.

"Khaleesi, here is a grammar point which you obviously already know because you've established it as your loving mother tongue."

In other news, Spanish speakers all have 2 dads.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Yeah that was bad

The entire scene was hacky, but at least that part made sense. Written terribly though.

I enjoyed most of the rest of it, however. And I like that poo poo is moving. Arya will be at winterfell next episode to chill w Sansa and Bran while Jon is off boning his cousin.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Lol @ Hillary voter thinking those strong empowered womyn would have time to poison their weapons on a ship after being rammed and boarded

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The prophecy bit was in the books though so you gotta blame GURM for that one

Although worded a bit differently, but it was Maester Aemon who mentioned that to Sam

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Casterley Rock is the ancestral home of the Lannisters. It will make Cersei's position look extremely weak and vulnerable if she is unable to keep it, meaning it's likely to goad her into taking the field. It's not a completely senseless plan imo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Casterley Rock is the ancestral home of the Lannisters. It will make Cersei's position look extremely weak and vulnerable if she is unable to keep it, meaning it's likely to goad her into taking the field. It's not a completely senseless plan imo

Yeah no they made a good case for why she should seige the seat of Westerosi power with local allies and use foreign troops to humiliate the Lannisters.

She needs to stop trying to 100% ASOIF without ever using the dragon power ups though.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Also lol at trump voter being confused by the "that's not you" line.

Keep reading and then lol more when everyone responding to me had different interpretations of the line. That was funny. If D & D hadn't said what they intended, this would be a week long debate.

I didn't vote for Trump. I begged the Powers that Be for this avatar because I saw they were handing out cool looking avatars. Don't be jealous.

DrunkPanda posted:

Agreed. I was pretty confused by that line, too. Then when I saw the producer commentary and they were like "it was a callback to season 1".... I mean, that was six loving years ago. Do they really expect people to go "ah, yes, a callback to her earlier line. brilliant!"?

Exactly, did the people that liked that line really think that?

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 24, 2017

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
$10 says they didn't kill bad pussy because viewers responded positively to her tits and they want to do another scene with her and Bronn.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Even without the context of the S1 callback, which I admit I needed to be reminded of, it still made sense just in the scene?

"That's not you" = "you're a wild creature now, not my pet. Go have a good life old wolf pal."

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"The CGI guys say we can't afford more than 30s of screentime, girl."

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

TommyGun85 posted:

im in awe with how many people completely misunderstood the Arya Nymeria scene.

Theon didnt revert back.

lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
any moment now danys 100k strong cavalry force on a barren rock is going to have to eat their own horses

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Even without the context of the S1 callback, which I admit I needed to be reminded of, it still made sense just in the scene?

"That's not you" = "you're a wild creature now, not my pet. Go have a good life old wolf pal."

That does make sense but it also makes sense that it might not have been Nymeria (since she was acting strange in seeming to not care about Arya) or that it was Arya talking about herself and reflecting the direwolf's thoughts as these posters below said. Why would you lead towards one interpretation over the other?

WampaLord posted:

Wooooooooooooooooosh.

She was talking about herself. She's not Arya Stark anymore, she's "no one."

I think the line is even "that's not you."

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i'm fairly certain the "that's not you" line is Arya reflecting the dire wolf's own thoughts; Arya isn't Arya from back then anymore

it makes sense if you combine it with the Hot Pie scene from earlier where he asks her "what happened to you?" and she doesn't really answer him

WampaLord posted:

Ugh, I hate Death of the Author but to me the line works so much better if Arya is talking about herself.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

any moment now danys 100k strong cavalry force on a barren rock is going to have to eat their own horses

It's a shame the show no longer interested in "little details" like how the people of the stormlands feel about the fact that they are now ruled by a Targ for the first time in a generation, and also feeding and housing a khalisar from fantasy mongolia.

It's like her armies are now intangible power ups in her inventory that she clicks on when she needs to use them instead of real things with a physicality in the world the characters inhabit.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oliver Reed posted:

"Actually, both translations are wrong. It's the Pie that was promised."

And Hot Pie will pull a flaming sword from one of his pies.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It's a shame the show no longer interested in "little details" like how the people of the stormlands feel about the fact that they are now ruled by a Targ for the first time in a generation, and also feeding and housing a khalisar from fantasy mongolia.

There are no people there anymore, they left when Stannis never came back.

some guy on the bus posted:

That does make sense but it also makes sense that it might not have been Nymeria (since she was acting strange in seeming to not care about Arya) or that it was Arya talking about herself and reflecting the direwolf's thoughts as these posters below said. Why would you lead towards one interpretation over the other?

It's definitely 100% Nymeria, why would it be some random direwolf?

The reason Nymeria doesn't go with her is either Arya has changed too much or Nymeria has changed too much, that's why the line is weird.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The entire province being depopulated to go campaigning with Stannis or becoming refugees when he doesn't return just raises more questions the show isn't interested in answering.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The entire province being depopulated to go campaigning with Stannis or becoming refugees when he doesn't return just raises more questions the show isn't interested in answering.

Oh, I agree, Euron's fleet is the biggest "gently caress you, it happened offscreen" handwave I've ever seen.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

The reason Nymeria doesn't go with her is either Arya has changed too much or Nymeria has changed too much, that's why the line is weird.

The line is a direct callback to the bit in Season 1 when Ned explains to Arya that one day she'll be a lady and she should look forward to raising children and all that poo poo; she says "that's not me".

This scene doesn't have to be an either/or proposition. Arya's an assassin now, not a cute little tomboy, and Nymeria has a pack/family of her own to take care of. They've been apart now for more of Nymeria's life than they were together. Thematically, it's a reflective moment for Arya to consider how much has changed in such a short time and what she may have lost.

It's really one of the better scenes in a blah episode imo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Wait Dragonstone is just a literal island? I thought it was isolated but still part of whatever nation state with it's constituent peasantry and arable land it's the seat of power for, which I guess wouldn't be the Stormlands but W/E.

Jesus, "Dothraki Mounted Army" really is just an intangible power up Dany keeps in her JRPG character inventory.

E: Like I try hard not to watch this stuff with "tactical realism" :spergin: and acknowledge that sometimes stuff happens or doesn't for story reasons, but you have to address this stuff at least with a handwave, plus "hey we were fine with you taking over the vacant local castle but your foreign dothraki are eating us out of house and home and smell funny" could make for some interesting conflict with the peasantry for a character who wants to be legitimized and loved as a proper Westerosi ruler.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 24, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wizard on a water slide posted:

It's really one of the better scenes in a blah episode imo

I agree that the scene itself is great, but the line is clunky, it probably would have been better if she said nothing.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So it's pretty funny that it turns out that Arya had no idea about Jon's ascension and the defeat of the boltons, even though she spent two weeks as Walder Frey and surely some intel updates about the affairs of house Frey's most important ally to the north.

Not only that but the scene with Ed Sheeran last week wound up having no bearing on the plot as Arya still continued south after it.

It's also odd that Tyrion and Varys knew nothing about Jon and the Boltons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of logistical stuff and information, a friend of mine pointed out that it's a little odd all these people (Tyrion, Sam) got word to Jon so quickly but Edd hasn't sent him a letter saying "hey, your last little brother's alive and he keeps casting spells and told us who your parents are" yet.

Which made me realize that probably means Sansa or even Littlefinger is going to intercept that letter instead.

• Locked thread