Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Battle of the Bastards is kind of just where the show is now. Often dumb but sometimes cool. Which is still a higher standard than a lot of "prestige" TV/TV drama. Like, I'm not watchin Starz (though I do wanna watch American Gods). does AMC still have good shows? At least one? I haven't checked since Mad Men ended.

(edit: wait I completely forgot about Better Call Saul for some reason)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

I can't believe this guy gets hundreds of thousands of views for content that amounts to click bait about theories that are old as dirt. There are angelfire pages about the Knight of the Laughing Tree that outline the exact same information as in the video (well, except for the ridiculous warging stuff). I guess you gotta respect his entrepreneurship.
isn't this like 80% of YouTube? You can pretty much recycle material freely if you've got a decent presentation and just get clickbait for yourself while using other people's effort/actual words. that's what all those British & Scottish dudes who read creepypasta aloud are doing

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Sweet the best thing about GoT is finally back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv2G1WmZ7A4

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I enjoy this show because I really like seeing your mom's tits

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I read the spoilers and then forgot them, which probably doesn't bode well for the season.
Same
It's convenient though

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm so tired of Littlefinger's vague stupid lines
"Everyone is your friend everyone is your enemy"
"You've got to fight every war at once everywhere!"
It's unfortunate considering how fun he was in season one
Just die already dude

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
it's cheap as gently caress to mess up so bad on some characters that you later try to use them getting wrecked & owned as some sort of catharsis. the sand snakes dying was as lame as them living.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

I hope the entire season is just sam and jorah curing and reinfecting each other in an endless loop

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

fromsinkingsands posted:

Is there anyone in this thread that actually enjoys the show? I agree with the fact that they've killed off a lot of great characters/actors but I'm still thoroughly enjoying this season.
I mourn the loss of what it was, but still enjoy the shlockier form it's taken on now. I'm pretty indulgent with the show, it was unrealistic of me to expect prestige TV other than Breaking Bad to maintain a mostly consistent level of quality for every single season. Most can't manage that sort of run and it's fine.

It was never like, a profound series or anything, but I had more fun when it was poo poo like this, and less like...giant zombie armies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ES_ElI6Wg
it may just be a part of the book narrative, I haven't read them, but I hear they're released in decreasing quality

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lmao at the dude who just yells whore three times

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
they just needed to use the Silence on the show at Casterly to be a visual HEY IT'S GREYJOYS for the audience. I can just pretend Euron wasn't commanding. It's not like they included all the mystic worldtravel-y stuff I hear he has in the books. He's just a very competent and charismatic pirate/naval commander in the show, nothing really occult or mystical or worldly in characterization. Do we know if the ship is manned by dudes with their tongues cut out? Or is it deaf people?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

JBP posted:

Are there any spoilers whether Jaime loses his poo poo over ostracising his brother and good mate Tyrion based on a lie by Cersei?
Why would it be seen as a lie by Jaime, though? It's not like Cersei knew it was Olenna either.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I support a spinoff that is just Bran creepily going up to characters and being like "hey...hey...I saw you gently caress."
Have it end with him finally getting to Jaime and Cersei and revealing he remembers that very first time he witnessed loving. It's kind of a core character feature now that I think about it, bran the accidental and then intentional voyeur
Bran Stark is...the westerosi gently caress police, and he thinks you're beautiful you're all beautiful ladies & gentlemen

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I assumed that was for Sand Snake Mama's sake

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It'd be pretty funny if Dickon dies in the war and the Tarlys have to turn to Sam as heir

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Has dying changed Jon? Like, is there a difference in personality? I can't tell
Maybe he and Beric can chat about it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't mind Littlefinger dying a pointless death because he always struck me as one of the lower tier manipulators on the show anyway. Not quite a Varys.
I mean, who couldn't weave a web around Ned? the dude was kind of a dullard when it came to stuff like that.

The Queen of Thorns kinda went down with a fart too. I know we wanna think that was some sick last burn, but really think about it
"I killed your son..."
"Oh, I knew it wasn't my brother! Well, we uhh...murdered your entire family and household. And army, apparently."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

The holes probably spray some kind of organic accelerant when the dragon breathes fire or something like that
but only when you gently caress em

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

skasion posted:

Tbf Davos' actual son got blown the gently caress up back in S2 and he's completely over it, he was 100% chill with Tyrion and even joked about that time you blew up my child. So clearly being like a son to Davos doesn't amount to much.
This actually stuck out to me. I remember the characters being human and emotional and relatable on this show once upon a time. I still remember the grief of Davos losing his son. But now everyone's just like a schlock caricature intent on moving a plot along so he's just like "hah-hah, remember when you gave my son an agonizing death?"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
the only place you need to be getting theories is dem thrones

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

some guy on the bus posted:

If you like hearing him talk

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Fine.

Consider me toxxed.
You are a hero.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yeah but having a working somethingawful account is also stupid, so it's a wash

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't normally like fantasy and sci-fi but I appreciate the discussion of authors ITT that people think ARE good during their discussion of why they hate GRRM's prose.
Like I just started The Iron Dragons Daughter and this poo poo is pretty good. would appreciate other tips. I guess there's prolly a thread for that in the book barn tho.

also his TV review episodes are fuckin intolerable cuz he's an idiot autist with a Chad Complex and bitch voice, but I gotta say Preston Jacobs is a genuinely excellent sleep aid. especially with insomnia and not wanting to rely on weed. I just gotta put on one of his multi-part raving lunatic series about, I don't know, the sort of intricate gibberish that only someone with mental problems would confuse as "complex plotting" and I'm zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz snooooooooooze

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 14, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't think Preston's theories would make GRRM either artful or genius though. As bad as GRRM's prose is, it's still always better than the convoluted noise Preston confuses for "good plotting". It's like the weirdos on TVTropes who think a good plot is a series of cliches added together like a math equation. It's all very beep boop, like the fact that something is complex+convoluted+foreshadowed implicitly means it's excellent plotting. I always feel embarassed for the fans in his youtube videos who are like OMG I WISH GRRM USED YOUR IDEAS. There's more art to GRRM describing food for eight pages than whatever crackpot theories Preston's brewed up.
They're entertaining conspiracy theories to fall asleep to but they're not exactly what I'd call the makings of good or even entertaining literature.

agreed, some of it is clever, but I'm just as often baffled by Preston missing or trying to nitpick some obvious thing that a normal human being would grasp and narrowing in on it as a flaw or evidence of some complex secret theory vvvvvv

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 14, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Then panicking about leaks is all the confirmation I need for the Dany Gets poo poo Flung At Her Chronicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I agree.

But the leaks are true.

• Locked thread