Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Are those his real R names?

I never knew, and if so, I get why he keeps 'em as initials.

It's Rape Rape. His parents had a complicated relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That was mostly good. There wasn't enough Jim Broadbent. You just can't have enough of that man.

When Arya was going through the woods I was reminded of the start of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, specifically the movie with Tim Roth and Gary Oldman.

I now want a cameo with both playing Questions in King's Landing while Cersei does something in the background, possibly talking to Qyburn. Or even the other way round.

Re: Why was the castle empty? Have you ever been in a genuine castle? They are very cold and not very hospitable places to live.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Cersei's position in King's Landing is weak and taking her seat away will make her look even weaker.

One of the reasons Robb lost the WOT5K was that he was forced to march back north instead of doing any more campaigning in the south after the Ironborn took Winterfell. Losing your seat is a great way for people to call you an illegitimate ruler.

Her seat, as Queen of the seven kingdoms, is Kings Landing.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

skasion posted:

She's also the head of House Lannister and losing the ancestral home of your family is a big blow to anyone.

Is she though? I can see how she could grab power in KL because she is there with her troops and Greggor, but there are a host of other, male, Lannisters at Casterly Rock. Even the retard beetle crusher would be ahead of her in the succession. I would have expect ravens in the thousands to head to dragonstone with every noble with something left to lose offing their undying loyalty, including whatever minor Lannister is in charge. Lannisters are scheming and power hungry. None of them want to deal.

Taking the Westerlands will cut off her supply of troops and, presumably, food. That makes tactical sense. Why they didn't just say that must be because the average watchers wouldn't understand strategic goals. So they offer the worst kind of objective, symbolic.

Why do they need to bother with KL at all? Use the dragons and risk setting off the wildfire. Are there any troops there at all? It has no strategic value, it's just symbolic. All she has to do is send ravens to all the noble houses and tell them she has dragons, bend the knee, or lose everything. If they prevaricate, blow up KL and send another raven. "Sorry your answer must have got melted when I annihilated Cersei, what as your reply?" No need to risk any of her troops.

I just rewatched the scene, another thing that makes zero sense. They must use westerosi troops to take KL? "We are only going to murder, rape and burn (in any order) you with those people who you probably have a 1000 year blood feud with. Not the nasty foreign savages. Happy?" :master:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

WampaLord posted:

My dude, the show is called Game of Thrones. The throne being symbolic doesn't matter, it's important. Notice how everyone was declaring themselves king in the beginning of the show, but the only actual king was the one on the Iron Throne?

To rule Westeros, you must control the Iron Throne.

Truly. If I were a general I would be very pleased if my opponent focused on symbolic objectives while I took all the strategic ones.

To rule the seven kingdoms you must murder all other claimants. You can't do that with symbols, unless they are heavy ones.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

at least in the books, Cersei is straight up told to go home because she's Lady of Casterly Rock and belongs there

also it's not a dumb symbolic blow if it potentially goads Cersei into taking the field, and also pisses off or weakens a shitload of Lannister bannermen

Securing the Westerlands as a strategic goal, as the Riverlands would fall at the same time. But I am straying into tactical realism territory here. They will use it as shorthand to say, "They took Gibraltar, Hurrah, than means the Westerlands and the Riverlands instantly theirs."

The people will care a huge amount that the people who are eating their women and raping their horses are Westerosi, because they can at least get revenge on them, sometime in the future.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They have no lines of supply either. An enterprising local commander would burn their ships and seal them up in the Rock. 8,000 troops are going to do a lot 2,000 ft up on a mountain.

However....

There will be no local troops, never mind that they don't seem to have invented officers in Westeros.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
She was laughed off broadway.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It wasn't a battle. The Tyrell forces didn't ride out to meet the lannister/Tarly army. It was a siege. Well, I think so. They didn't show it. All over in an afternoon. Almost every siege in history involved surrounding the fortress and waiting. Storming the battlements is very bad idea.

Whoever said Tarly should have been defending then opened the gate was correct. That would make narrative sense. Alas....

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
You would think the Lannisters would spend less on shield decoration and more on neck protection for their troops. So many throat slashes.

Edit: where were their scouts, they are sat in a valley and never thought to post pickets on that big rise right beside them. Or, I dunno, on one of the mesa. It would have still looked good, scout come charging in: "The sentries report Dothraki to the southwest. Thousands of them!" they get set up and there is tension of them coming over the rise.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 7, 2017

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Y axis. Come on man.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Isn't Tysha in that bordello in Braavos? Or its implied, or an easter egg or something.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

JBP posted:

Gendry is going to have the biggest arms oh my god....

Bigger than Dickon's?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So there is no reason given for whatever it is that the WW/Great Other is after? They just attack stuff and kill people and for some reason go to the vale?

As stupid as this show is, and as meandering as the books are (they will never be finished), GURM has an ending in mind (though lol if you think he will ever write it). He specifically said he wanted something with more meaning than how LOTR ended with the orc ladies and children just forgotten about.
The WW want something. Not just attack the living because it gets boring in winter. This alone makes me suspicious of those leaks. Otherwise, they are dumb enough to be mostly correct. I would have thought it would be Jon driving the sword into Dany's heart to make Lightbringer, you know, as per the prophecy. Unless Varys is Azor Azhai. :iiam:

Collateral fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 21, 2017

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The influence of the Dothraki (mongol/moorish hybrids being a merit based soldier archetype rather than the nobility being born into the officer class) as well as a black plague level of depopulation should bring end to feudalism. It would be a perfect bookend to "breaking the wheel" and most of the themes GRRM has been banging on about.

Having them die out completely and nothing changing would be....stupid. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
If they don't have an explanation for why the Others are doing what they are doing, it will be annoying but unsurprising. Which means we will never get a resolution, such a subversion of blah blah. Fat man will die, Brandon Sanderson will finish it, Space Jesus will save the day with peace and polygamy. It is known.

• Locked thread