Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Someone posted some poo poo adding on to those spoilers but I don't think that bit is real. For instance they said Arya comes back from executing Littlefinger and finds Sansa dying from a stab wound. I don't think Littlefinger would have Sansa killed even she was having him executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dorne was just kinda boring rather than cheesy in the books and it has the same problem with almost everything in the past two books, plans are being set in motion but there's very little payoff.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dear god it's even worse than I thought

quote:

And yes, before someone asks, I AM STILL WORKING ON WINDS OF WINTER and will continue working on it until it's done. I will confess, I do wish I could clone myself, or find a way to squeeze more hours into the day, or a way to go without sleep. But this is what it is, so I keep on juggling. WINDS OF WINTER, five successor shows, FIRE AND BLOOD (that's the GRRMarillion, remember?), four new Wild Cards books, some things I can't tell you about yet... it's a good thing I love my work

He's working on all 4 spinoffs plus the new one he just announced and 4 wild cards books.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Oh and he said none of the projects are Robert's Rebellion (Because it will be covered in the books that are never going to come out) or Dunk and Egg (because he doesn't want to get passed by the show again on a side project).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

And whats the date that the season starts. Extra long wait for two extra short seasons?? boy howdy

July 16th.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Someday I'd love to see a very accurate adaptation with all the crazy armor and crowns and such.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

quote:

Reddit, my girlfriend is exploiting my cancer for personal gain and I'm so angry but have no idea what to do.

A little while ago I was diagnosed with Stage 1 cancer which is terrifying, but I was given a rosy outcome by the doctor.

Most of it was removed via surgery, but I am doing a round of chemo just to be safe and reduce the chance of it coming back. Even though the outcome was as good as it could possibly be, this whole thing has completely shaken me. It really flipped me on my head to realize that I could die at any moment, and it seems to have created a shift in my entire thinking. As a result, I'm in a really bad place right now, so I don't know if my rage that this post is regarding is consistent with my normal behavior.

My girlfriend has been super supportive through this whole thing, which is why it's so shocking that she would even CONSIDER doing something like this. For some background, my girlfriend is kind of an enormous Game of Thrones fans.

She has read all of the Game of Thrones books multiple times and went to events and stuff, and she is constantly on forums on reddit and other sites talking about it. This doesn't bother me at all — I have my own obsessions. I have, in the past, asked her if she wanted me to watch the series or read the books and she said I didn't have to. Which is good, because I've never really been into fantasy.

Anyways.

A couple of hours ago I reach for her laptop to print something out and I open Microsoft Word and see that she is currently drafting a letter to George Martin (the writer of Game of Thrones). It starts off as a normal cutesy fan mail but then in the second paragraph it goes on to state that her boyfriend is his biggest fan and has been given 6-8 months to live by his doctor, and that it would "make his life complete" (actual words) to be able to read the next book before I die. She essentially asks if theres any chance he can finish it in time so that her boyfriend can enjoy it before his passing. And she uses my actual name in there. I AM loving LIVID. I don't get how she could use me in this way, or even joke about my death. She could have easily just put her own name in there instead. I guess she didn't think I would mind because she made no effort to hide it or anything, but I just can't loving believe she would be so oblivious to something like this. I deleted the letter in a rage and now I'm actually up and pacing around trying to think what to do. She gets home in 4 hours.

Reddit, is this grounds for breaking up? What do I do?

tl;dr: Girlfriend exaggerated my cancer diagnosis for her own personal gain, and now I'm so angry and hurt I can't see straight.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Probably the same reason why every news article has to have a 5 min video attached to an article that takes 20 seconds to skim.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The last 2 episodes of this season are super long at 71 and 81min. So we're basically getting 7 episodes but the runtime of the season will be more like 8 episodes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think all the Valyrian Steel weapons that have been mentioned in the show will be in the north or headed north by the end of this season.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

We still somehow need to get that one sword from the ToJ flashback too. I think that was valyrian steel at least the show didnt really make a big deal out of it tho.

I think the fact that they included Dawn in the show was just a nod to bookreaders and not something they're going to focus on later. And like someone else said, whatever its significance is going to be the books, it's not Valyrian steel.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Usually not coming from the show though. I hope we get some real shocking moments in S8 because this season seems short on them. I guess we still have the 3rd 'holy poo poo' moment to look forward to that the showrunners talked about.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

A delayed season 8 is pretty much confirmed at this point. They want to film at the Dragonpit again and some other location in March 2018.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Beric's definitely not Azor Ahai in the books since he's dead. I don't know why they included the whole flaming sword bit with Beric but didn't let Stannis have Lightbringer.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Characters are more consistent in the books than they are in the show. They don't suddenly just do something out of character because the plot calls for it, though to some degree that's just TV writing for you. I prefer the books by far but it seems like we're never getting any more of those so....

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So is Arya's arc just becoming an assassin + getting revenge on the houses that wronged her family? I can't imagine how face changing or assassination skills would be useful against the Others. Then again if Sam killed one maybe Arya can too.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

GRRM said something interesting in the TIME article today. He said, and who knows how true it is in the show, that people resurrected by red priests aren't so much resurrected as reanimated. They don't have flowing blood or even a heartbeat. He even called them wights. So basically the only difference between Jon and some rando skeleton from the Night's King army is that he still has his memories.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Constant posted:

Thats gonna make zero sense when he sexes Danaerys

That might be something that doesn't happen in the books honestly.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I mean we probably could have done with less scenes of Tyrion hanging out with Missandei and Grey Worm and a few more of people reacting to the fact that giants are real and Jon was resurrected.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm curious what Beric's role is in the story going forward. They had to have some significant reason for bringing him back after so long, and he's permanently dead in the books and I can't think of anyone who's story he could be taking over so...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Man how ADD are young people these days that something that gets 5 minutes of screentime bores them enough to comment on. In 50 years shows will just be montages of murder and loving to keep people's attention.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 17, 2017

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think there was any 'implication' to that scene other than the fact that they were Lannister soldiers and she briefly sized them up before deciding not to kill them. I kinda doubt she will see them again and something else will cause her to abandon her list, probably seeing Nymeria again which seems to be backed up by the very brief preview of episode 2 we got. The last time we saw Nymeria was in the Riverlands and that's where Arya is now. We definitely know at some point she runs into Nymeria this season.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Someone on Reddit said something funny. They said when the Hound was having the vision they kept waiting for him to say 'Just kidding you oval office, it's a fire not a loving mummer's show'

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Maybe it'll be a good show but I'm not sure right now is the best time for it culturally. It just seems lovely to launch a show like that in a time where white supremacy and confederate symbolism are a big concern.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

GRRM just announced no TWOW this year, and despite all the bullshit promises about setting aside distractions he's working on Fire & Blood which might actually come out first

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I imagine a whip could be a pretty decent decent weapon in certain circumstances, unfortunately a giant brawl where everyone is wearing armor isn't one of them.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

kater posted:

The hot pie scene ruled and I found it pretty touching but it was kind of confusing. Like arya didn't think Jon was dead did she? The only thing really different is he's few miles south. She's got no reason to distrust the nights watch does she? The only one she knew kicked total rear end.

No but she was surprised to hear that Winterfell had been retaken by Jon.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think some of this stuff will be at least partially addressed soon. Tyrion has secret negotiations with Jaime at some point to try to resolve things bloodlessly.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They didn't forget about the Iron Bank. It's supposedly a plot point this season.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

JBP posted:

But she thinks it will be somehow different when she lays siege and doesn't force her way into KL?

Anyway it's not our fault all this poo poo is flimsy and the character motivations are bad/inconsistent , it's the writers.

Okay, so she literally said the opposite of the thing you've complaining about in an episode 3-4 days ago and now you're moving the goalposts. If you're going to complain about the show's writing at least watch the drat show.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if GRRM is just driving everyone crazy with the insane waits and it really is as simple as 'Ramsay wrote it'

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I mean it's not really that weird. Like someone else said, Judaism is a real-world religion that's theistic but doesn't necessarily believe in an afterlife.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think that's how GRRM intended it though, GRRM even said in an interview that the church of the Seven is the same kind of mixed bag as the Catholicism it's based on because they're repressive but do want to help the poor folk at the same time.

There's no real strong moralistic angle to the sparrows in the books. They're just pissed off the nobility have hosed up Westeros.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They probably never planned on keeping Ros around. There have been a couple subsequent interviews in recent years that make me think it was Emilia Clarke that wanted her nude scenes cut down.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The books don't really have clear timelines either, there are weird timeskips and overlaps between POVs. Jaime and Brienne's encounter with Stoneheart is going to span 3 books even though technically all of it has already happened by the end of ADWD.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Chances are the wall is going to get taken down by the horn of Joramun in the books and they had to think of some other way to do it in the show.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Cornflakes posted:

I liked that scene in Season 1 where Arya was in the basement of the Red Keep and overheard the conversation between Varys and Ilyrio. Whatever happened to that guy?

I think they couldn't get the actor back so they just kinda wrote him out of his joint Fire & Blood scheme with Varys.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Decius posted:

For the big battle between the Night King and the humans/Rhollor looming there are drat few Red Priests in Westeros helping. Mel hosed off to Essos, Thoros dies next week. Apparently they don't give a poo poo about the big purpose of their religion?

Melisandre said she'd be back one last time. I don't remember where I read it but someone speculated she was going to come back with some small army of Rhllor's chosen elite that was mentioned in the books and that's right up the show's alley. Everyone will forget about her and next season when the fight is about to be lost she'll show up with 1000 fire mages and turn the tide.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The holes probably spray some kind of organic accelerant when the dragon breathes fire or something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Tyrion was originally supposed to meet a god in the Sorrows but GRRM ended up scrapping it to keep religion/magic in the series more ambiguous.

• Locked thread