Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

WrightOfWay posted:

That happened in the books too.

In the books the steel is not melted down because that would ruin it. And anyway swords aren't made by pourin molten steel into casts!

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Nail Rat posted:

So since the ASOIAF wiki doesn't explicitly say how, if the steel wasn't melted, how did one sword get turned into two swords in the books?

The books just say he reworked them, I suppose the process involves heating the metal until it can be reshaped but not actually turning it liquid.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

drunken officeparty posted:

Idk who said it but you can in fact cast a sword from a mold

You can cast something in the shape of a sword sure but steel swords that were used in combat weren't actually made like that, it's a good option for replicas but this sort of poo poo will happen if you actually try to use it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N4hprpRJhM

Edit: as I am not actually a sword expert I'd say that the situation might be different with modern industrial steel and manufacturing techniques but in ye olde days you'd forge a sword by beating it into shape.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 10, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Lycus posted:

But how were magical steel swords made in real life?

I would advise against plunging it into the heart of a living human despite what George Ronald Reuel Martin has to say on the subject.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Nah, Raymond Richard.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's almost as though it was a sci-fi retelling of the Book of Mormon or something.

How many of those do we actually need?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homecoming_Saga

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Even show watchers can care about Jonny sixpack being the actual heir to the throne and that he and Dany are going to have incest.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Season 1 is great but the rest of the run is basically "we know we're not gonna hit the same heights anymore so we're just going to kill protagonists every few episodes".

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The Sandor + Arya bits in the books are so great. Though I guess really all of Arya's bits until she goes to Braavos are really well.

Also some of the best bits in the show of course, including the original show material.

I don't recall thinking that Arya's faceless chapters were awful but the terrible show version really made me hate the whole assassin training bit, I guess it just sucks that she just becomes a super powered ninja and seemingly doesn't have to pay any sort of personal price for it. Hopefully in the books the faceless will be a more important entity that has some bearing on the endgame and we'll learn that everything that happened with Arya was a part of their scheme because the show version where they're just a bunch of dummies who happen to be able to change faces is not very satisfying.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Lycus posted:

But only that video about the time he met GRRM who kept ignoring Preston's dumb bullshit to talk about food with other guests.

It was even better than that, Preston asked GRRM about some parallel between ASOIAF and one of his earlier stories (I think A song for Lya, which is actually pretty worthwhile) and GRRM was ridiculously dismissive and told Preston he should answer that question himself given that he probably remembers the story way better than GRRM does as he hasn't thought about it since he wrote it

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Kawalimus posted:

I thought those were the chapters that got cut from ADWD

The Theon chapter was cut from ADWD, the Euron and Arya ("mercy") chapters were cut from AFFC, we can't know for certain when he wrote the Barristan, Victarion and Tyrion chapters but it's not like they advance the plot beyond the end of ADWD either way, ditto for the Arianne chapters.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He's probably still rewriting Dany's ADWD chapters.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

TOOT BOOT posted:

GRRM said something interesting in the TIME article today. He said, and who knows how true it is in the show, that people resurrected by red priests aren't so much resurrected as reanimated. They don't have flowing blood or even a heartbeat. He even called them wights. So basically the only difference between Jon and some rando skeleton from the Night's King army is that he still has his memories.

We don't know that wights don't have their memories either, they are just controlled by the walkers.

The wights resurrected in castle black seem to know the layout of the castle and go for Mormont's chamber directly, the wight wildling woman killed by Varamyr remembers Varamyr and looks right at him after he switches bodies into his wolf.

It's kinda creepy like that.

Of course PJacobs believes that the corpses are reanimated and controlled using telekinesis, including Jon, cause that's some fetish gurm has, gurm wrote at least one necrophiliac novel where people reanimate corpses and gently caress them.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Nah Westeros is very much the british isles, it's like, direct allegory and poo poo. Just replace the valyrians with the romans and the whole geography falls into place rather unambiguously.

And also gurm wasn't super creative with the maps and southern westeros is literally Ireland flipped around.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I apologize in advance

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dany will also land in Dragonstone in the books, I mean, come on it's not about mere visuals it's about the fact that everything in ASOIAF has some mythological historical precedence that our protagonists are bound to recreate due to fate and symbolism, or whatever.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Hey I expect high-for-tv-budget-cgi nonsense and I don't think I'm going to be disappointed.

They cut on the episode count just so that they could do more cgi, it's going to be all dragons all the time!!! I'm hyped as gently caress.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Arya won't kill them, it's a hamfisted way to set up the dichotomy between the commoners and the aristocracy; Arya is not evil. I mean, she is brutal as gently caress but in 6 seasons we've never seen her harm an innocent. Arya is batman, basically.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's nice how Ed Sheeran knew the song secretly composed by Symon Silver Tongue in order to blackmail Tyrion!

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 17, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Jerk move from Jorah to try to grab people with his rabid hand.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dany spends 2 episodes besieging dragonstone and another 5 learning how to rule it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

GaussianCopula posted:

How about Dany landing in Dorne or the Reach, where her allies can support her army and she has a base of operations to start her conquest instead of that bleak island in throwing distance from King's Landing, where she runs the danger that Euron with his 1000 ships, manned by people who are known to be able seafarers, either completely annihilates her fleet or at least inflicts significant losses.

Well the reach is on the other side of the continent and Dorne is where plot lines go to die so all in all I think Dragonstone is a good starting point. Also you know, symbolism and all.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah if there's one thing I'm sure of is that GRRM's climaxes won't involve the protagonists all becoming the sort of people who take pleasure in torture and death without paying a major personal price for it. Everytime someone in ASOIAF sets out on a quest for revenge they wind up getting screwed up by it and paying some considerable personal price, even if the revenge is fully justified.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
No that's the dragon binding horn and it was blown at the kingsmoot and the wall was just fine.

There are other horns and there's the legendary horn of winter which would allegedly bring down the wall even though the legend actually states that it will "wake the giants from the earth"or something like that.

Mance was looking for the horn of winter but Ygritte tells Jon he never found it. Some people suspect it's the hunting horn found stashed in the fist of the first men, now carried by Sam.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Captain Splendid posted:

Dorne
The Reach
The Westerlands
The North
The Vale
The Stormlands
The Iron Islands

The Riverlands is the non-kingdom

:goonsay:

Technically at the time of Aegon's conquest it was "The Kingdom of the Rivers and Isles" as Harren the Black, King of the Iron Islands, conquered the riverlands and built his seat there. That's why historically there are 7 kingdoms even though the riverlands were an independent kingdom for thousands of years (though it was often contested).

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The song was good and the cameo wasn't intrusive.

Also Ed Sheeran did the ending song to the second hobbit movie so I think he likes nerd stuff too.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

FogHelmut posted:

i thought they focused a lot on ed sheeran's face considering he had no lines

But he does? Only two though (other than the on camera singing).

I mean I do agree that upon rewatch he gets way more screentime than your regular extra would in the show but it's not really that inorganic cause he sits next to Arya the entire time and also does have a speaking role.

It would have been preferable if he had the acting chops (or the time, I guess) to deliver the lines the chatty soldier does but I mean, it was a nice song.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's pretty funny that Arya would be back at Westeros and probably hear about Jon being king and him hanging out with Sansa and how the Starks won the north and poo poo and wouldn't haul her rear end over there asap or at least right after eliminating the Freys. Why would she need any other incentive? Sure her list, whatever, but just to drop and say hi what's the big deal? is that the one plot where distances and travel time actually matter?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I mean I could see where she would think that murking Cersei is priority #1 to ensure she has some famiglia to come home to.

Yeah perhaps she also forgot about Moat Cailin and how the north was never taken by a southron army, cause Sansa apparently did.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Arya says it was every Frey that matters. But I don't think all of Preston's night king rants need to be taken as literal grievances.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

banned from Starbucks posted:

So the white walkers are marching their army around the wall? So whats the point of the wall

Jon said they'll be marching on Eastwatch as it's the closest castle to Hardhome.

You can't really march around the wall unless through the mountains and the bay of ice from the west but there's a natural barrier there in the form of a river.

The funny thing is that hardhome to eastwatch is about a fifth of the distance from castle black to winterfell so unless the night's king was purposefully waiting for Jon to sort out his season 6 plot lines he should have already overtaken the under garrisoned castle.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Arya hung around at the twins for 'less than a fortnight'.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ashai is never hinted at being a no-man's-land, it's just very far away, we don't know much about it because it represents the far and mysterious orient as perceived by medieval europeans but at no point does anyone indicate that Ashai is Zahadum, or Mordor. It's just a place, possibly has a lot of mystics and is rumored to be the birth place of dragons (even though The World of Ice and Fire suggests that Dragons are unnatural creatures bred from the volcanic wyrms found in Valyria).

edit: oh snap you were talking about Valyria. me stupid.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 18, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In the books the faceless men definitely do a little more than just contract killings and euthanasia, you just need to look at Jaqen and wonder wtf he is up to to realize that the faceless have some long term scheme they're working on.

Obviously they're also the ones who brought down the Valyrian empire and are likely involved with the death of the targaryen dragons in the Targ civil war, but it also seems that they are not allied with the Maesters who are apparently striving for similar goals so there might be a little more here.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Come on the ending will all be about Jon\Dany teaching the night's king to be human again or some poo poo like that, GRRM is a hippie and the entire conflict is set up so that every side has legitimate and just grievances.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think that Bran sacrificing himself in some way that ensures that he remains as some eternal disembodied entity that keeps the peace between the walkers and humanity is one of the most telegraphed things about the whole narrative.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The show had the scene where Leaf corrupts the Night's King, which actually hasn't appeared in the books yet.

Yeah the matrix ending seems about right for this narrative.

Westeros being a smoking heap of ruins with some of the remaining characters going "this was all pretty pointless, wasn't it?" seems right up GRRM's "bittersweet" alley.

Grrm's bittersweet alley.

gross.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Also it might be more along "the maesters hate targaryens", they don't really seem to concern themselves with the children or the red priesthood.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Don't the maesters have a bunch of magic light bulbs that suddenly turned back on when dragons were back in the books?

Merwyn does, it is implied that there are a few more black candles in the citadel but he's the only one we know of that actually got one lit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Bulging Nipples posted:

He sang a song, was asked about it and then turned to the camera and went "oh, it's a new song" and might as well have winked at the camera and had a scrolling crawl that said "new album out now". It's not a big deal but it was fairly douchey.

It's a song from the books, not his new no. 1 single or whatever.

I think it was more of a tongue in cheek joke about how the show basically only had three or four in-world songs so far, so there, a new one. The song is actually fanservice towards book readers.

• Locked thread