Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

jesus loving christ, someone get him some adderall or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I kinda get GRUM. This is his big breakthrough, his only shot at immortality and he doesn't want to blow it. He probably thinks (correctly) that it would be better to leave this work unfinished than to release a mediocre book and leave with a wet fart. What happened with Feast and Dance scared him.

I think this is really the fault of the American entertainment industry. If he was still poor he would need the income from the book and poo poo it out. Also, his work should have only become famous after his death. Blame America and also the people buying his books instead of pirating them.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

IRQ posted:

I've been saying for a good 10 years now that if Gurm would just admit that he's done, stalled, not sure where to go, whatever, with ASOIAF then I wouldn't hate him for it, but he insists that he's still writing these books like an rear end in a top hat. I completely understand selling out and wanting to just enjoy life, we'd all do it, he's just lucky enough that he had something to sell out with. If he wants to spend his years dawdling around blogging about football, buying movie theaters and wolf preserves, and perving out on girls a third of his age at nerd conventions, more power to him, but just admit that's the plan and the books are done you absolute fucker.

It's not that easy. As soon as he officially retires from ASOIAF he is no longer the American Tolkien working on his magnum opus, he is just a retired writer who failed to finish his work and disappointed his fanbase. Gotta keep the facade intact.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

There are notes, but they are all just crude drawings of Emilia Clark's tits and butt

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

esperterra posted:

You say he should get superfans to ghostwrite the last two books, but if this happened y'all know it would be Linda and Elio and that would be a darker timeline than the books never coming out at all.

There are probably already fanfic endings to ASOIAF. The problem is that they are all 100% hot, wet garbage. GRUM is a good writer, gotta admit that.

I have a brilliant plan though:
- do a kickstarter and hire some good writer to finish the books
- change out all the names and places in the book to circumvent copyright, then let the buyers reverse the changes with an automatic script at home

Probably illegal as gently caress. Gotta set up a scapegoat letter box company for this. Maybe also launder some money while doing it.

Full transparency: I'm probably gonna grab the kickstarter money and run, so, there is that risk

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

i tried reading the first book and couldn't get through it due to the writing. and i didn't even get to a meal scene.

Even Shakespeare had people heckling his plays. Not sure what your point is.

I got four little words for you: Tolkien of the Americas

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Uh.. I meant that as a serious question. Has the distance between these two places ever once been established?

Yes. People spend weeks and month travelling across Westeros. Travelling and travel times have always been a huge part of this show, in every season. It's a really huge place.

King's Landing and Casterly Rock are on the opposite ends of Westeros.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

fake edit: was hat sword that stole from his father ever mentioned again? I suppose he wpul miss it, at the battle

No, but Sam will find a new Valyrian sword on the roadside because the writers suddenly remembered that they need it for the endgame but had forgotten that they already gave Sam one. Mark my words

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Do the show runners know about MDMA?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lmao "Yo Gendry, my man, we are being attacked by some pretty bad hombres here in this very instance. Be a sport and run back to Eastwatch, send a letter to Danny and tell her to get her rear end over here. Tell her to take the earliest flight possible. Will hold them off till tomorrow."

I swear the writers are now loving with us, no way this is not deliberate. Even the absolute Idon'tgiveasinglefuck solution of just giving her a prophetic dream or a vision in the fire or something would have been a million times better.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Seph posted:

Yeah Arya taking Littlefinger's bait is annoying to watch. That being said she is an angsty teen orphan with murderous tendencies, so in that context her motivations make sense. She's clearly jealous of Sansa's beauty and elegance on some level and now she has the power to do something about it.

Also, re: time chat, Sansa literally said "It's been weeks since I've heard anything from Jon" implying that he's been gone for months. The writers are giving deliberate clues that it's been a lot of time and people are willfully ignoring them (or just retarded).

If it has been months, why did they wait so long to tell Jon that Bran and Arya are alive? You can't spin your way out of this lovely writing, braver and smarter man than you and me have tried and failed at this.

I kinda get where they were going with the Arya plot. After all, Sansa was directly responsible for Ned's death and it could plausibly cause tension between them. Arya is also just plain paranoid and psychotic now. But it's not very well done and her actor can't really pull it off. (Sansa's actor is doing fine though IMO)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Constant posted:

she didnt think it was that big a deal until they sent a message saying: hey uh..we're surrounded and about to die up here

They didn't though, they send a message that they were under attack. The whole scenario where they discover an itzy bitzy tiny island, surrounded by extremely thin ice that only brakes once, but never twice when people walk over it is so loving ridiculous that nobody could have ever foreseen it. There is absolutely no reason to send Gendry on a trip around the world, unless you have read the script.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

WampaLord posted:

I can already tell what will be the Goony Derail Point for this episode.

How loving fast are ravens?

Frozen lakes don't work that way

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Of course it was a trap, they would have just murder deathed the lot of them via bear or when they were taking the captive if it hadn't been. Minions were told who to kill and who to let live, which is why they took out the Mage with a Rez spec first. The big question is how did they know she would be coming to save Jon, and the exact point to attack them so Dany would be coming in to rescue them all from a fight, rather than a deeply suspicious encirclement?

Efficient scouts could account for the latter, but knowing Jon was in dragonstone and the rest of it is something not entirely explained by Bran.

Have you learned nothing from Arya Durden? Everything on this dumb show is exactly as it appears, no matter how dumb and there is nothing to read between the lines

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I just realized that the last time the Others went to war, it was against the First Men, a culture with bronze weapons. They have never encountered Valyrian steel before

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

LinYutang posted:

Why would Cersei have trouble believing zombies exist considering that her bodyguard is one

This part actually makes sense to me. She has no reason to believe that there is a world ending army up there, waiting to devour everything and everyone, especially since this information is coming from her enemies. A single Zombie probably wouldn't even convince her, but she actually does want a truce now, no matter the reason, so it's gonna work.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The last hero wielded a dragonsteel sword according to some scroll Sam reads at the castle black library.

But is that canon/in the books?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Dave Brookshaw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB43KvksNWw&t=444s

From 7x01

"There's a thousand miles between us and Cersei"

Yeah, but ... what about her eeeeeeeemailes?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

GRRM is on the record saying he hosed up making the wall too big. Has he said anything regarding the size of the world he made? He obviously knows gently caress all about distances if he was trying to go for a realistic approach to things.

:eyepoop:

This poo poo has been wildly exaggerated. GRRM made the wall too tall, yeah, but he isn't a loving retard who doesn't understand basic arithmetic or distances. If he has ever driven a car from one city to another, he knows and understands how far 100miles is. He made Westeros deliberately as big as South America. He might regret that choice now in hindsight, but he is not innumerate.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I mean, Westeros' shape is obviously modeled after the British Isles. I'm pretty sure he tried making Westeros the same size by area, but quickly ran into all kinds of problems like climate zones(the siberian North& tropic Dorne only 100s of miles apart) not making any sense and the politics being all hosed up. Like, if Westeros was smaller it would probably be much more centralized and less culturally diverse, etc.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Permaban everyone who likes the show

Even better, train them to their own separate thread. A two thread solution is the only alternative. This here is not working

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Am I the only one who is bothered more by the fact that they had no way of knowing that they would come upon a tiny island surrounded by thin ice and therefore had absolutely no reason to send Gendry for help? They were minutes away from certain death.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I think that one was fine. You need a survivor to tell the story no matter if you get hosed or not.

They send him explicitly to get help from Dany though. Dany would have arrived two days later to find a bunch of corpses and wondered wtf this was all about

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

bloom posted:

Sam: Ugh this is all bullshit, why hasn't anyone in this gay world invented WoW and pizza?
Gilly: Hey Sam you fat whiny gently caress, what does Dummies' Guide to Forging Valyrian Steel mean? It says so in this ancient book titled Game of Thrones S07E07 Script.
*30min or possibly 2 months later on the other side of the continent*
Sam: So anyway I was studying really hard and found out how to make valyrian steel.

It's like I'm reading the real script, uncanny

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

There is no 4d chess.

This, a billion times. We have been through this so many times already over the last seasons: everything on this dumb show is exactly as dumb as it appears. The NK didn't set a trap; Arya is Arya and totally psychotic now

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

So, is HBO going to do right by us "Spanish" viewers and air episode 7, instead of 6? I don't want to wait another week for a new episode, what this bullshit? Considering a laywer

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

basic hitler posted:

My local library has GoT seasons 1-5 so I've been indulging a rewatch. The show really was better early on. Budget creep and surpassing the books are the most obvious causes of quality drop. The drive away from emphasizing drama and storytelling to the lame spectacle driven sadness we have now where killing off large swaths of the cast counts for character development is a loving tragedy, and if D&D aren't completely responsible, they're at least the most visibly guilty. Regardless everyone involved in transforming this show from faithful adaptation people liked on its own merits to a pandering expensive farce should be ashamed.

Yet i gotta say, every one who is talking about how the average viewer is obviously a meat headed shithead who cant endure a drama heavy fantasy show needs to stuff it and maybe watch the seasons actually tightly adapted from the book. It's night and day quality and people liked those seasons a lot.

I wonder what it's like to constantly cosplay the execubots from futurama? It's definitely the logic used to justify all the bad decisions made by the showrunners and HBO, but it's not a remotely accurate assessment of why people began to watch this show.

It would be accurate to say that most early adopters are only still in it because of sunk costs though.
:same:

Also, I understand that not everyone can be a GRRM and it was absolutely impossible to maintain the same level of writing quality once the source material ran out. But there has been some truly heinous poo poo on this show the last couple of seasons, stuff that should have never made it past even a below average writer and would also be out of place on any other HBO show.

It's not even the writers alone who are loving up. IRC the Arya running from the Terminator scenes last season were due to the producers hiring some braindead hobby director who had always dreamed about doing a "cool" action sequence like that. And what we got on the screen was even a toned down version of what he wanted to do, due to the Arya actor complaining about how batshit insane the whole stuff was. IRC there was originally supposed to be some diving and underwater stuff? jfc :chloe:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

Wow, savage.

And now we're back with the Sept incident being consequence-free. Tyrion is kinslayer, but not Cersei? Okay.

Sept was officially an accident. Whatever power keeps Cersei on the thrones probably also enforces this narrative.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

These S8 spoilers are some of the dumbest poo poo I have ever read, I don't even know what to say. It's a real disgrace. There is no resolution coming, no closure. GRRM is gonna die and the whole saga will forever remain unfinished. HBO will sit on the rights for all eternity, making GBS threads out generic expanded universe crap every year till the heat death of the universe. Tits and dragons, tits and dragons, tits and dragons, TITS and DRAGONS

I hope this embarrassing shitstain of a show finale at least motivates GRRM to get out one last book.

I'm gonna go to bed and cry myself to sleep now, byea

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

skasion posted:

Personally im insanely jazzed that people are seriously debating the veracity of a putative leak in which one of the leads dies ignominiously and her body gets strung up and people throw poop at her corpse

Are you serious? We got not-LenaHeady walking naked through King's Landing and being bombarded with poo poo only one or two seasons ago. Also, burned a small cute kid alive, hanged another ugly kid and saw some flayed minor characters hanging around in Winterfell from the walls.

We already went through the same denial phase with last year's spoilers. Come on, it's all absolutely real and it's all gonna be horrible. These spoilers are a very particular brand of dumb that you only find on this show, it's hard to fake. It's like a fingerprint. You KNOW this is real, deep in your heart.

esperterra posted:

This episode's Preston video is maybe the first time I thought he was being completely reasonable. He only digs into poo poo where the episode contradicted the show itself, instead of differences from the book. And they're all loving idiotic things and it is 100% what I thought of the episode, give or take.

Lol yeah, the part about them blatantly contradicting the opening of the very first episode is so hilarious to me. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

WampaLord posted:

Bran becoming the Night King kind of fucks with that whole thing of "Will I walk again?"

"No, but you will fly."

They are already retconning everything and everyone, contradict themselves and the earlier dialog all the time. Nobody gives a poo poo about anything anymore.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Chickenwalker posted:

They're fake. They contradict themselves about Howland Reed being killed then being alive, Jaime's motivations, pretty crucially that Daenerys can't get pregnant, and the biggest for me is that they don't even mention the Night King's death or who kills him and how, arguably the most important detail if we're going by the amount of effort put into building him as a villain. It's essentially "The Night King died on the way back to his home planet."

Supposedly, they are a retelling(from memory?) by someone who has read the scripts. It's not really surprising that they are not perfect. Also, the pregnancy is coming 100%, it's being foreshadowed so loving hard it hurts. They have not writing this weird, out-of-place Tyrion scene talking about heirs for nothing.

hitchensgoespop posted:

If they are true ( and i kinda think/hope that they arent) then it will prove 2 things, one wrapping up the ever expanding story is tougher than you think and maybe thats why GRRM hasnt finished yet, because its impossible to do so convincingly and secondly, D&D really started to show their colours when they had less and less of GRRMS source material to go off

The problem with this explanation is that people in this thread are coming up with better resolutions to all these "writing problems" on the fly, on tiny phone screens, as we sit on our toilets, in our buses or our work meetings. Even the laziest and dumbest of writers should have been able to come up with a "Danny/Melisandre sees a vision of the battle with the NK in her dreams or flames and sends herself/Danny up north". It's lazy and cliché, but at least it makes loving sense and works. The Gendry running to Eastwatch plot has absolutely zero excuse of existing, it doesn't add anything to this show.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pedro De Heredia posted:

She's the villain you loving idiot.

The complete and utter lack of self-awareness is so delicious :allears:

They would never kill Ned and show his rotting head on a pike, he is the main good guy!
They would never kill Rob& Cat, they are the main good guys!
They would never kill Oberyn and show his skull getting crushed in all detail, he is one of the main good guys!
repeat ad nauseam

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

IRC we never found out who that guy even was. The show won't go into that direction anymore, so we will never find out anything about the Others' society and why they decided to move South after thousands of years. El oh el

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

hitchensgoespop posted:

To Goons hate watching show yes, everyone else is enjoying the other bits like dany frying an entire army with her dragons or *sexy*jon and *sexy* Danny about to kiss on a boat.

98% of the viewers don't give two fucks about100% of the stuff people sperge about in this thread

Everyone itt loved the episode with Danny fighting the Lannister army. But you go girl, you keep fighting the good fight against those neeeeaaaaaards

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Reminder that in the books the First Men probably made a peace pact with the Others, just like with the Children of the Forrest. The wall was raised by the Others as a demarcation line between their two realms. Part of the peace deal was also regular human sacrifices in form of male children, allowing the Others to procreate and maintain their society. The sacrifices stopped some time after Aegon's conquest, which might have something to do with why the relations started to deteriorate from that point forward, culminating in the current war. There is a whole rich backstory to this poo poo, revealing the Others to be a nuanced faction with their own motivations and goals. Probably even the good guys.

None of that poo poo matters though. The only resolution we are ever going to get to this story is that they are the big baddies, pissed cause the Children made them and they were taking a big nap for a couple thousand years, but now they woke and want to exterminate everyone cause they are angry. The end.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

romanowski posted:

reminder that actually none of this poo poo happens in the books

It does though

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Just because they were wronged once and more complex than they seem doesn't mean they are the good guys.

I mean, humans being absolute monsters to each other is one of the major themes in the books. The seven kingdoms are basically being genocided by a bunch of rich noblemen playing petty games among themselves. Especially AFFC is full of sections showing the absolute horror the common people have to go through. People are not the good guys in this story. Of course we will never see this now and it is speculation, but the Others' society in comparison is probably completely peaceful and the children that are handed over to them grow up in peace and as equals.

But that's not really the point. The point is that a lot of people speculate that GRRM, again, is planning to circumvent traditional fantasy tropes and turn Danny into the main villain. There are hints about this spread out over all the books. The Others would then ally themselves with the Starks to defeat her. I think it's clearest in AGOT, a time when he was still planning to only have three books out. She is willing to land a horde of raping, pillaging Dothraki and set a peaceful continent on fire. And the Others are not shown to be explicitly aggressive, they just attack people who are illegally on their side of the wall. There is also something weird going on between them and the Wildlings which Mance Ryder alludes to but we never learn in detail about. IRC he went into their land to dig for the horn of winter with his army and broke some kind of truce?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

The Others in the books do seem to mostly just want to get humans out of their territory north of the Wall

There is definitely a noble savage feeling to them. Maybe he got inspired by NA Indians? IRC he even describes them as extremely beautiful and graceful. Also, there is the fact that one of the Stark Nightwatch commanders supposedly fell in love with an Other and banged her, which gave as this work of "art"

http://i.imgur.com/0CbJ51w.png

Mod edit: Don't inline NWS images.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 23, 2017

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

"Summer found the episodes squatting in the DVR, groaning. Every episode was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time autumn came up the show was making GBS threads brown water. The longer the show went on, the more it shat, but the more it shat, the thirstier the circlejerk of casual viewers grew, and they send it crawling to the stream to suck up even more casual viewers."

- Tolkien of Somthing Awful (probably)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

RCarr posted:

Relax dude, Jesus Christ. Normal people don't sperg the gently caress out over minor details from 6 years ago.

Chris, hey, can I talk to you real quick? I looked through your work from the last couple of months and you made some pretty big errors costing us a lot of money. One time you even forgot that we are an insurance company and tried to sell paper to the customer! Could you try harder, maybe?"

:smug:: Relax dude, Jesus Christ. Normal people don't sperg the gently caress out over minor details from 6 years ago.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

esperterra posted:

The scene in the pilot plays out very clearly, to me, as it being Bran's first time practicing archery. Ned even says something along the lines of how nobody's good on their first day.

Arya recalls how she was doing something she wasn't allowed to be doing, but Ned when he saw it himself he found it endearing. Which is all well and good, except in the pilot scene everyone watches her shoot the arrow and laughs heartily as if not only is it no big deal Arya is doing something she 'shouldn't', but it establishes that this is probably something she does often and everyone knows and it's just an 'oh, that silly arya wanting to do boy stuff!' fact of life.

It's funny how scenes from old seasons with actual subtext get read on a surface level, then scenes in new seasons with zero subtext get read as Arya being Tyler Durden.

Seriously, everyone doing mental gymnastics to explain this writing error has NOT watched the two scenes back to back yet. There is no room for interpretation.

• Locked thread