Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Who's Asha making out with there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty sure all the major spoilers for this reason were out already by like, last year

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

- Dany and her posse arrives in Westeros, demands fealty from lords of Westeros, burns those who don't comply
- Jon and Davos travel to Dragonstone to ask for Dany's help with the White Walkers, she shuts them down
- Euron and Cersei join forces
- Jon realizes he needs proof, resolves to capture a live wight for show and tell
- Arya murders the rest of the Freys
- Jaime rides with the Lannister army against Highgarden
- Gendry returns at last, joins the wight hunting party
- Sam cures Jorah's greyscale with his maester powers and they go North together
- Euron destroys Yara's fleet, Theon survives and makes it to Dragonstone
- Reunions throughout the season: Arya + Bran + Sansa, Arya + Nymeria, Theon + Jon, Jon + Tyrion, Jorah + Dany, Sam + Bran, Jamie + Tyrion + Bronn
- The remaining Martells and Tyrells are hurriedly written out of the story: Euron kills the Sand Snakes (!!!), Olenna confesses to killing Joffrey and then poisons herself
- Dany's dragons ambush the Lannister army and burn them down
- The wight hunting party grows to includes Jorah, Tormund, Beric, Thoros, and the Hound. They run into trouble beyond the Wall and most are ultimately saved by Dany and her dragons
- Viserion (the white dragon) dies and the Night's King raises him as a blue eyes wight dragon
- Dany agrees to help stop the White Walkers
- Littlefinger tries to turn Sansa against her family, is sentenced to death and executed by Arya
- In King's Landing, Jon, Dany and their allies show a live wight to Cersei to win her aid as well. Cersei agrees to help but secretly plots to allow the White Walkers to kill her enemies first
- Sam and Bran figure out Jon's heritage
- Jon and Dany gently caress
- The Wall falls
- GRRM cries himself to sleep

Read the full synopsis of spoilers with sources here and here.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

bloom posted:

Hell even if you're really particular and want a show with people getting hit with swords while wearing old-timey clothes, Vikings is better.

I guess it doesn't have tits and dragons though.

Vikings has tits, the American version is just censored

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The show is still reasonably impressive as a production. If you'd told me even five years ago I'd ever see CG of that quality on TV, I'd have been pretty skeptical to say the least. But narratively it's middling to dogshit and has lost all respect for or faith in its audience.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks to some saintly Reddit poster I don't need to count it up myself to tell you that there are 144 instances of the word "gently caress" in ASOIAF.

I will agree that the general tone of dialogue has gotten more "modernized" as the show progresses though. We're not quite in "he's got my axe embedded in his nervous system", what-the-gently caress-were-they-thinking territory yet but it's definitely heading that direction.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm pretty sure the Sean Bean dies meme wasn't a thing before Ned. If it was then it definitely wasn't as common knowledge.

I can think of LOTR, Goldeneye, Equilibrium, Patriot Games, and Black Death off the top of my head. Apparently, his character has died in about 1/3 of his movies.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Westeros is wayyyy bigger than Britain though which is why it's such a mess politically. It's a lot more like America in the sense that the continent will never be politically unified with the "medieval" type of society they have got, you basically need magic poo poo like dragons to accomplish it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Adun posted:

This show really went downhill when they stopped focusing on supply chain management!!!!

Yes, I am sure this is exactly what he is saying

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Aeron might as well not exist like Victarion, he has nothing in common with the book character but a name and a job.

This episode was alright, albeit with a lot of the show's standing flaws like random expansions and collapses of time and space for plot convenience, wildly inconsistent treatment of women, generally terrible dramatic pacing. At this point they mostly seem focused on giving the actors chances to bounce off each other and creating a sumptuous visual experience, which is fine because they're not going to salvage the plot.

I like that Jaime actually points out how terrible and stupid the strategic situation is at this point though it doesn't give me any hope that they will write it to make sense at all.

I continue to feel that they missed a trick on Euron's character design, they are writing the character as this hilariously confident and rude Jack Sparrow type and the actor is almost up to it, but he just looks like a random tough in leather pants. The character is so over the top, they couldn't scare up a wig or an eyepatch for the guy?

The poo poo montage was good stuff. Very Gurm

They finally ponied up for an exterior shot of Dragonstone worth a drat -- was the big Valyrian dragon head always on the wall of Stannis' map room?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

And a magic dragon horn, and a ship full of warlocks than can make his ships sail even when there is no wind and is the only named character that had the resources (be it gold, blood, or cake, I don't remember if it's ever made clear) to hire a Faceless Man to do his bidding.

And then he ties his brother to the prow of the ship.

How can you not love this guy?

It's actually very unclear how he paid the faceless men to off Balon. I recall a theory that he paid them with a petrified dragon egg that he claims offhandedly to have thrown overboard at one point.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Whatever happened to the hot masked lady who said voodoo poo poo to Jorah in like season 2ish?

She's on the boat with Gendry

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gendry doesn't have any real claim to the throne. He's the low born bastard of four kings ago, like two people in the world know that, and he doesn't want to rule. As hilarious as it is that the writers forgot him on the boat, he is basically irrelevant to the plot and the only reason they would bring him back is if they want to do something else with king's blood magic.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

how the gently caress would there be a third civil war. how would the south have survived even a second one. what the gently caress.

the movie csa was created to satirize modern day using the confederacy, it wasn't serious.

This time, Dave Hill is in charge of the US Armed Forces

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

TeaJay posted:

I started reading the books only after seeing the first season of the TV show. I can't imagine how the wait has felt to anyone who has been reading the series for a way longer time.

Bad

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

Theory goes: Blackfyres lose and their male line is extinguished with the death of Maelys the Monstrous at the Stepstones. A Blackfyre woman marries Illyrio Mopatis, whose son is masquerading as Aegon VI. Also, Varys is a Blackfyre descendant and that's why he shaves his head and is working with Illyrio so closely and confidently in getting Aegon the throne.

Also why Varys' dick would have been useful to perform sorcery with.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

kater posted:

Was there a Marwyn-alike in the show that ran off to Dany when Sam showed up? Is she just going to be maesterless during her stay on abandoned island? Does Dany expect Tyrion to be able to reach the raven window?

Who needs ravens when Euron can effortlessly sail from one side of Westeros to the other just to chat with Cersei? This is the kind of detail that the books are all about but the show doesn't care about in the slightest.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

InFlames235 posted:

There hasn't been a winter in like hundreds or thousands of years.

That's not true at all. Westerosi seasons last years, not centuries. The summer during which the show starts had been going for nine years. Presumably it was winter right before that.

e: even the nine year summer was considered to be unusually long.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

InFlames235 posted:

Oh ok. Well I dunno why they didn't do that in other winters. I guess the best explanation is that he was waiting to build a big enough army of the dead over a long period of time before attacking.

My guess is that previous winters were too short for them to accomplish whatever they're trying to do, or alternatively that they were waiting for some necessary magical ingredient (Bran, dragons, whatever) to complete their plan. We don't really even know what they're trying to do apart from that it seems to entail a lot of people dying, so it's impossible to be sure.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dickon

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The adventures of the man with no penis

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That cut though :laffo:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I'm gonna say it again, the Euron actor is being sold short by the character design. He acts just about crazy enough for book Euron, but looks like a schmuck.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

TheRat posted:

Didnt yara have a consensual gay scene last season as well?

Yeah she made out with a hoe in Volantis. But not between named characters iirc

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ambivalent posted:

*banging on the table* let them gently caress

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That Ellaria line was almost Gurm worthy though. The enemy is invading the myrish swamp

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Was the hanging woman on the ship at the end the greyjoy sister or the sand snake

The sand snake with the whip. They strung her up with the whip and pinned the other one to the bowsprit with her swords or whatever. Asha got taken prisoner apparently.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Emilia hasn't been THAT bad this season. Her general woodenness sort of works in her favor at this point, it makes the character seem like someone who has actually got a flat affect because she fulfilled her life's ambition and found it to be deeply unsatisfying. She was way worse for the last couple of seasons where she struggles to display any emotion while her kingdom, rule, and life are disintegrating.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

They should jump out of helicopters with swords to fight the dragons like that one movie

Reign of Fire, gently caress yeah

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Golli posted:

Global Cooling? I'm sweating my nads off today.

If winter is coming, why are dragons melting me alive? Checkmate, liberals.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I can see you're no Dave Hill. We cut to sausage and eggs sizzling in a pan.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

He probably realizes that it would sound terribly convenient to claim the king he killed right before opening the gates to his dad's army had it coming 'cause he was planning to do a real bad thing promise scout's honor.

It's this. There is no one (noble) who could confirm his story and he is too proud to give the impression that he is coming up with an excuse for his deeds. He also feels deeply conflicted about breaking the oath he grew up thinking was the best poo poo in the entire world and doesn't want to drag it further through the mud than he already has.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Show them the gallons of wildfire stashed around the city. The ones that have also conveniently never been randomly discovered or blown up in 20 years.

They have now, lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

IncendiaC posted:

I think there's still plenty of good actors left but most of them are secondary characters who have to support bad/non-charismatic actors, plus they also have to deal with really poor writing/no direction.

Tyrion's a good example. Dinklage is a great actor but has had barely any material to work with since Tywin's death. Being assimilated into Dany's storyline means giving Clarke the spotlight and she is not a good actress.

Dinklage isn't that good in this show. He has mostly been pretty middling right from the start, his accent sucks, and it feels to me like they cut his role down from the books because he has been phoning it in so hard.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Oliver Reed posted:

The pacing this season is what's really bothering me more than anything else. I feel like certain things are moving slowly while others just happen because the plot demands it and they've got a checklist of poo poo to do before the series is through.

Someone mentioned that HBO had to essentially beg D&D to maintain their positions on the show -- even while acknowledging them as being its "creators," why are they so valuable, especially if a lot of fans have noticed a decline in quality? I find it hard to believe HBO couldn't find suitable replacements if they wished it.

We may complain about it here but upwards of 10 million people still watch every episode of the show, with all its problems. If they leave the showrunners in place and the mediocre level of quality is maintained, those 10 million people will still tune in. But they change showrunners and the show is still bad, now it's a disaster because now the new guys ruined the show. It would also probably be really bad publicity to get rid of D&D in the home stretch like this and would give the impression that HBO doesn't know what it's doing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

She's also the head of House Lannister and losing the ancestral home of your family is a big blow to anyone. I don't see how this is hard to follow. Dany's plan is idiotic because she doesn't need to gently caress around dealing symbolic blows, she could just wipe out her enemies with dragonfire and have done, not because there's anything innately wrong with the idea that losing Casterly Rock would hurt the Lannisters. It's like punching a guy in the nose when you have a gun to his head.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

oh yeah what the gently caress how does the iron bank still function.

Unbeknownst to anyone, the white walkers have been buying up the Iron Throne's debt to Braavos and will call it in to force the crown to default before they launch their invasion

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't know. If a crazy woman with her own army just blew up a huge chunk of town and then said, "I'm queen" I don't think anyone would say otherwise. Seems pretty realistic to me. Also I'm pretty sure there is no more small council.

Not the King's small council, but a Great Council. This is where they summon every lord of any note in the entirety of the Seven Kingdoms to discuss and vote on who should have the throne. It has happened a couple of times before under the Targaryens and it's rumored Rhaegar was going to attempt to call one over his dad's head to dethrone him for being nuts. However it obviously isn't going to happen at the moment because who would come to KL if Cersei's asking? She is just a usurper who has not bothered at all with any formalities.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

why would mance have written it

To provoke Jon to disregard his NW oath and attack the Boltons.

• Locked thread