Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Proposition Joe posted:

Why are there giant mesas near Kings Landing? You're going from not-France to not-Croatia, the only place that might have mesas in Westeros should be Dorne right?

we've established the showrunners don't care about the books' geography or scale. They can put whatever features wherever they want.

I don't mind. If they're gonna have a goofy battle whose outcome is a foregone conclusion, at least they're having it in a sorta interesting-looking locale. Better than having it in a regular boring ol' grassland.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

esperterra posted:

In a society where marrying women off at 12 or so is normal, fwiw.

that's a bit of an exaggeration

Some characters in their 20s are considered unusually old to be unmarried, but 16/17 (margaery's age when she married joff, catelyn's age when she married ned, cersei's age when she married robert, etc) is more the norm

marriages at 12/13 are done, but are frowned upon. I like to imagine, with no basis in the text, that the maesters have been paying attention to their records for long enough that they've figured out childbirth is drastically more dangerous for girls in their early teens than girls in their late teens.

but what I'm getting at is dany's and sansa's age-13 marriages are hella creepy even if you apply maximum cultural relativism

Trivia posted:

Who wrote that? I want THAT GUY to write the series.

It's like night and day, Jesus.

goreg r.R martin

peter vaughan ('s ghost) deserves maximum possible props for giving 110% to every Aemon scene despite being goddamn 90 while filming

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 20, 2017

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Constant posted:

actually Bran will probably ruin it when he tells Jon he watched him fook his aunt on Treehub

i dont think bran knows about Boning

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why would they go there?

A popular fan theory is that the Isle of Faces where the last of the Children of the Forest live, and that the destruction of the Children & their legacy is the goal of the invasion.

It's supposedly where the night king was created (in the show) and is a generally important Children sacred site (in the books)

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Shneak posted:

Is Varys killed off in the spoilers? That's all I care for anymore.

per spoilers the only big kill in the season finale is Littlefinger

though several secondary characters are left in a Bad Spot when viseryon brings down the Wall, some of whom will presumably die in the season 8 premier

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

So It Goes posted:

This reminds me, is Dorne no longer supporting Dany or something? It's not like their head castle was wiped out like with higharden, all that happened was their leaders (lol at ellaria sand, a random mistress of the king's brother, becoming the leader of dorne) were captured. Why does this mean Dorne is out of the picture, does the kingdom no longer hate the lannisters or something? Why isn't whoever is next in line supporting dany with troops to attack kings landing? The show implies that Ellaria and the sand snakes getting captured completely removed Dorne from the picture for some reason(?) I guess you could assume that caused them to get locked into a civil war or something but the show never bothers to even have a single line of dialogue stating such.

castles, cities and countries are all the same

dorne does not exist outside of the alhambra set where all of the dorne scenes were shot. the dornish army Dany wanted was those 4-5 guards who were there

those guys are still down, it's just that nobody has come by to tell them what's up

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

RC Cola posted:

Where did they get 4 mega long mega huge chains like that?

giants had big ol' chains, they could have taken 'em off some dead/undead giants

CDHiggs posted:

It's from the recent leaks, and I've got little reason to doubt them...especially since the ones last November about Season 7 have also proven to be right.

I don't really believe in the season 8 spoilers

not because they read like bad fanfic (since that's the show now) but because they're sorta written in the fashion of somebody who has either watched the show (which hasn't been filmed yet) or stalked the sets

like they're ~visual in the way they editorialize

also I don't think even dave&dan are dumb enough to have their most iconic character die in childbirth, of all things, after eight seasons of hollering about being The Dragon's Daughter and burning people alive

or to reuse the "wildfire cache blows up a large portion of the cast" bit
you only get to do that once!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

MrMojok posted:

I just want to know what in the hell Jorah thinks he's playing at out there.

He always used to be a sword man, now he's running around dual-wielding carving knives.

*preston jacobs voice*
he left his sword at Eastwatch in a bid to passive-aggressively bait Jon into offering Longclaw, so that he could then turn it down and look the better man to bystanders

jorah is a better nth-dimensional chess player than varys or littlefinger, it's just that all of his moves revolve around trying to impress daenerys in increasingly oblique and improbable ways

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

drunken officeparty posted:

Don't they talk and like have cities and stuff in the books

them having cities is a fan theory (albeit one that makes sense)

they definitely talk, think and otherwise interact in recognizable fashion, though

the ones that kill the Night's Watchmen in the prologue are clearly taunting and loving around with them, for instance

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

anyhoo, the real reason we know the season 8 spoilers aren't real

is that they would require the show to remember that the Stormlands exist

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

yeah if the spoilers were real then tobias menzies would have like twice as much screentime as he did in the previous 7 seasons combined

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Constant posted:

Or King Regent Tyrion wins the game of thrones

Tyrion coming through unscathed, ruling the Seven Kingdoms and getting a hot mistress (w/ no preestablished feelings for him other than disdain) is like the one part I can definitely believe, given D&D's general tendency to treat Tyrion like he's made of magic teflon.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 21, 2017

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the thing that would have made the most sense is if yohn royce had murdered Littlefinger immediately upon entering the North

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

i forget, did the show spare a scene to show that the minor lords of the vale made the insanely baby-easy observation that the schemer man who is quickly and conveniently widowed to make him de facto lord of the vale might be doing scheme and that there's at least a tiny bit of friction there?

They did have that scene, but the tension was diffused when Sansa revealed her identity.

Littlefinger then restarted the tension when he mind-controlled sweetrobin into making death threats against Royce

So the idea is that Vale lords know that Littlefinger is a bad dude who is manipulating their liege, but couldn't act while in the Vale because said liege would prevent it.
A complication which does not exist in The North
Littlefinger should have been decapped in the bogs north of Moat Cailin, his death blamed on Wildlings or the Boltons

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Rated PG-34 posted:

if the spoilers are real, what happened to all that poo poo about breaking the wheel

having a baby for a monarch is sort of a paradigm shift, I suppose

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I like that Sansa rules the Vale too for no reason. Hell, her and Gendry own almost half of Westeros

going by book details, Sansa might legit be pretty high in the line of succession to the Vale

she's sweetrobin's only surviving first cousin

she's kin to a bunch of Vale houses due to some Stark/Royce marraiges a few generations past. This includes the Waynwoods, who are Harry the Heir's main backers and, are, irrc, the house through which Harry gets his thirdhand Arryn birthright.

I'm sure everybody would prefer Harry the Heir (male, raised in the Vale, more recent female-line descent from Arryn) but after him I don't think there would be too many people in front of Sansa.

I imagine Littlefinger's plan in the books is to have Sansa produce an heir via Harry, then kill Harry and have Sansa rule as regent through a combination of her own blood claim and that of her child.

but Harry doesn't exist in the show, so they might just throw out "she's sweetrobin's cousin" and leave it at that, ignoring the male-line/female line distinction.
Many viewers have probably forgotten that Lysa was Cat's sister and a Riverlander, anyway, and just think of her as "Lysa Arryn, the crazy breastfeeding lady who Littlefinger killed".

It's more baffling that Sansa would marry Gendry (who, i believe, she has never spoken to) rather than some useful Northerner or a vale lordling who could cement her dubious claims.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Isn't Tyene dead from the poison kiss at this point?

the fake spoilers don't name Tyene, just "one of oberyns daughters"
might be one of the other sand snakes who were too smart to get caught being on this show

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 22, 2017

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

skasion posted:

While we're picking nits, it's also hilarious that Dany has no kind of saddle or binding to stay on Drogon's back given the maneuvers she does with him. She just kind of...holds on. Girl must have absolutely insane thigh strength.

it bugs me because many shots of Drogon have sorta lingered on his big sharp nasty back-spines

so whenever dany is up there, I have to wonder about whether those spikes are you know, loving her up

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 22, 2017

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

DAENERYS (deadpan): the dragons...are my children, jon...the only children I'll ever have...because my junk all got real torn up during dragon maneuvers...you understand?

JOHNNY SNOW (mumble): yes but i uh didn't need details

DAENERYS: just you know, completely fuckin' wrecked,

JOHNNY: err

DAENERYS: like it's ground beef everywhere down there, if you get my drift

JOHNNY: please

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 22, 2017

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Aren't like half the historical starks named Brandon?

theyre all the same guy, all time-traveling Bran
including Ned's brother

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Collateral posted:

Fat man will die, Brandon Sanderson will finish it, Space Jesus will save the day with peace and polygamy. It is known.

excited for every character to come with 30 pages of spell lists and combo instruction manuals instead of 30 pages of geneology

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Why would they need to fight Euron at all? A Greyjoy on the throne propped up by a small mercenary army? Everyone would declare for the Targaryen regardless of who owns the capital.

the audience tends to treat the Iron Throne as if it's the home space on a game board
which dave & dan sorta encouraged by naming the show what it's named, and by foregrounding the struggle for the throne through many of their alterations.

I've always figured the books will end with the throne vacant and the Seven Kingdoms fragmenting, as that's the equilibrium of the setting that the Targs (a near-extinct dynasty) awkwardly and briefly overturned using dragons (a near-extinct species).

but ill bet dave & dan won't do this, anticipating BSG-type backlash if they do so. The audience believes that the point of the show is who wins the game of thrones, so they must be provided with a winner of some sort.

bloom posted:

King's Landing seems like a shithole anyway, maybe just burn it to the ground and build a new capital. I mean a part of the city is literally called Flea rear end, how nice can it possibly be? I don't want no fleas in my rear end.

just move the capital to Oldtown, imho
an equally huge and economically powerful city that doesn't smell like poo poo all the time.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

skasion posted:

Even from KL the crown has trouble controlling anything north of the riverlands, moving the royal seat to Oldtown would be as good as saying the north can rule itself.

don't know if that'd be a dealbreaker, depending on the royals in question.

there's several small bits in AGOT about how the north is a kingdom unto itself and the starks are still kings in all but name - seems like everybody is comfortable with the north, sparse and isolated as it is, paying only the most perfunctory of homage.

the feeling I've always gotten is that the North could have declared independence anytime since the dragons died out, but refrained from doing so because the Starks felt some obligation to uphold Torrhen's oaths and because it's easier for them to pay some (probably not very high) taxes every year than it would be to rebuild and man Moat Cailin while getting White Harbor blockaded or slapped with tarrifs.

less that the crown has trouble controlling anything north of the riverlands, more that they already don't control anything north of the riverlands and neither side has yet decided to make a big issue of it.

though frankly "could have declared independence a long time ago if they felt like it" also applies to the Vale and Dorne, maybe even the Stormlands. Westeros is so full of strong natural barriers and impregnable ancient strongholds that probably more than half of the seven kingdoms could declare independence if they really wanted, which is one reason I believe they will fragment entirely at the end of the books.

Nail Rat posted:

This may or may not be the case now that Sam's not there to scrub out the bedpans.

the maesters clearly have a System worked out for this

i think it's Next Man Up as far as poo poo disposal goes

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

They've gone off their ways to have Jon Snuh survive against everything and even come back from the dead just so that he can die after setting off a booby trap in the Last Minute Boss dungeon.

i could go for a film adaptation of Temple of Elemental Evil but this probably is not the right time for it, yeah

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Maise/Arya is a pretty terrible actor.

i think maisie and sophie are both fine young actresses hamstrung by their material
like what even is going on with either of their characters for the past three seasons? who knows

isaac hempstead-wright, however, is Bad

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

I expect Quentyn and his fate to have serious implication for the plot going forward - the son of one of the great houses got burned. The Aegon camp, when they go up against Dany, will argue that she truely is the Mad Kings daughter, breaking the marriage contract and burning the honorable Quentyn Martell. Aegon will therefore easily get the support of this uncle, even though he can't marry his cousin, given that he needs the support of the Tyrells and therefore will marry Margery.

excited for marge marriage #4

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

AeJon Targaryan, the only Targaryan or Stark to have dark black hair.

its because he's a secret Baratheon

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

smh at making tyrion the one who spots jon and dany having boatsex
should have been jorah

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

ElmerTheWasabi posted:

Was there any... reason for all the song and dance between Sansa and Arya other than to have a twist for the show?

I guess the idea was that since he had an army with him, they needed to arrange for a public confrontation where he would implicate himself

so that said army could not object to his execution

of course, his army was made up of people who clearly hated his guts, which Sansa was perfectly aware of, so
who knows

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 28, 2017

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

After the NK and his army are dead:

"So uhh, what do we do with the remaining 699 miles of giant ice wall"

cut it into blocks, cart it to Eastwatch, sail it down to Dorne so they can make sherbert and italian shaved ice
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_trade

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

look kit harrington has great chemistry with emilia clarke('s body double)

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

if only the First Men had known a ditch full of water could repel the dead as effectively as The Wall

could have saved trillions

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

skasion posted:

Interestingly enough there are no apparent grades of nobility in Westeros, there's no dukes or counts or earls or margraves or barons or anything like that. I've never known what to make of that, the only formal means of determining precedence among the aristocracy are the traditional lordship of each of the seven kingdoms, and the wardenries which are a crown office. It's a bit odd really. While the Targs preferred incestuous marriages when possible, they don't seem to have had any real objection to marrying other nobility as long as they were from pretty old families. King Robert's grandmother being a Targaryen princess for example.

I think those grades are present, just unnamed.
Nobody in-universe would suggest that House Vypren (sworn to House Frey, who are sworn to House Tully, who are sworn to the royal House Baratheon) is on the same level as House Arryn (sworn directly to the royal House)

Seems like the order of precedence could just be the # of levels of fealty you owe. With the Crownlands houses admittedly being a bit of a wrinkle (nobody would suggest the Rykkers are of the same status as the Arryns, even though they are both sworn directly to the crown)

Targ marriages to the houses which hold Paramountcy are rare, but most of their outside-the-family marriages are to rich merchants of old Valyrian noble ancestry or to very high 2nd-tier houses (Royces, Daynes, Dondarrions, Blackwoods, all powerful, all former royalty from pre-Targ eras). The Targs who married below that station generally had some extenuating circumstances, like Elaena's various terrible marriages that Aegon the Unworthy arranged out of spite. So it does seem that there's some unspoken precedence that they adhere to fairly strictly.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

precision posted:

Even so, the way it was written/filmed/shot made it super weird. How did the Mountain know she was bluffing?

he has Tywin's head

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Maybe they cut down every tree, screwing them over in the long run but giving them a huge fleet in the short term.

look I'm sure little bitty viking longships don't take much time or wood to build

hurriedly throws tablecloth over euron's whole fleet seemingly being bigass cog-type things

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

DandyLion posted:

At this point can't we really view the show's creators as stewards of a story that we would never have learned the ending of without their works? There can't be a soul left who thinks there's going to be another book after Winds of Winter.

im confident that The WInds of Winter and A Dream of Spring will come out at some point

im also confident that the series will never be finished because gurm will in the interim discover that he needs 9 books to finish properly

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You're confident that a 69 year old obese man won't die in the next 12 years?

rich people hire good doctors
and he's probably got most of the easier-to-write bits of TWOW written already and has been stewing all this time over a couple of thorny plot bits, like he did with ADWD.

Whatever the case, I don't think he can finish satisfactorily in 2 books
there's too many threads hanging and gurm is probably not willing to hypercondense everything by krandomly dropping subplots and teleporting people around, unlike dan & dave.

if you conceive of the series as a regular 3-act structure (which admittedly im not sure gurm cares about) then AGOT, ACOK and ASOS were act I, while AFFC and ADWD are probably not the entirety of act II, given the way they ended.

he'll keep splitting books ad infinitum like in xeno's tortoise paradox

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 31, 2017

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Preston Jacobs just announced he is writing a novel ... I have no interested in his writing, but maybe he can become a renowned novelist before GRRM dies and then finish the series for him.

That would be kinda funny.

excited for jacobs to write a ulillilia-tier insane nonsense novel and somehow get it published in the mainstream on the strength of his built-in youtube audience

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also Noye's arm was an agent of the Three Eyed Raven.

donal noye's arm was working with Marywn all along!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

what happened to ser pounce anyway

is he...is he okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

nobody writes actual hot sex scenes
like that is just not a thing you can do in prose

the ~literary writers who are usually cited as references on How To Write Sex, like Updike or Franzen, mostly go in for disarming earthy realism.
which is to say they make things sorta gross and weird on the theory that sex is always a weird thing except when you're the person having it.
the point is exploring vulnerability, not eros.

personally. I enjoy toni morrison sex scenes, but that's because they're usually so abstract and introspective that you can't tell there is physical sex happening.

tl;dr it's true, nobody writes good sex scenes, if by "good" we mean hot or sexy.
most people outside of like Urban Fantasy writers won't even try to do so.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I wondered what you guys were kvetching about GURM's writing style (I'm on the second book, chewing threw them) and I came across this topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1k6s3j/spoilers_all_on_fat_pink_masts_or_why_a_certain/

Some point of view characters are just "worse" than others, I guess, and are harder to identify with for one reason or another.

There's a lot of PoV variation, sure.

For instance, a lot of the worst and most cringe-worthy stuff in Dorne is the uncomfortably fetishistic, orientalist descriptions of things, a disproportionate amount of which come from Arys's PoV.

This makes sense since Arys is sorta the equivalent of a mormon kid who went on Mission after learning everything he knows about the world from his Fox News parents

like he thinks hot peppers turn Arianne horny because it's something his racist grandma muttered over the dinner table once.

that said, I do think there's been some mild deterioration of grrm's already...workmanlike prose, over the past two books, as seen in returning PoVs from the first three.

• Locked thread