Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought that big list of spoilers was a joke until I was 3/4 done reading it. I probably shouldn't have clicked on this thread at all, but somehow, knowing what's gonna happen isn't making me not want to see it so :shrug:

Still, holy poo poo @ most of those spoilers. Hahaha. I fuckin' knew Gendry was coming back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Solice Kirsk posted:

If he and Arya don't wind up running away together because they're both royalty that don't care about their lineage I'll die of shock. The show is just too schlocky not to throw that in somehow.

I mean, surely someone is gonna get a happy ending, and those two probably deserve it more than anyone (well, probably Bran is most due for some good times).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bran is going to be a dragon. They've been hinting at it since season 1. There's no way becoming a dragon isn't a good ending.

Well, they've also been hinting that the only way to end the story is to have magic/dragons/etc all go away and never come back.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TOOT BOOT posted:

Dear god it's even worse than I thought

He clearly loves his work, in the sense that jerking off 20 times a day means someone "loves sex".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pierson posted:

Aleister Crowley's less-successful and more-unkempt twin.

Crowley practiced sex magic. Grrm practices the opposite of that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

the trump tutelage posted:

rational celibacy?

Scientific celibacy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Arya Stark best Stark, that is all. Holy poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
two things that are either incredibly smart or incredibly dumb:

- Ravens are seriously actual magic internet. When people "send a raven" what actually happens is magic which makes sense because the whole 3 eyed raven/warging thing links ravens to magic. They weren't on the lake for the weeks it would have taken a bird to fly hundreds or thousands of miles and then a human being on a dragon to fly hundreds or thousands of miles. nobody has ever questioned this because "i dunno i guess birds are real fast?"

- Jon being alive and in Westeros is somehow important for the NK

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Deakul posted:

Why didn't the WW use the spears on Jon & Co.?
Why didn't he NK just freeze the water?
Why didn't Dany use the dragons on the NK and the WWs?

1. they were waiting for the dragons
2. maybe he can't
3. she has never seen any of this poo poo before so she was just attack-moving

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Le Saboteur posted:

The banter scene between The Hound and Tormund is one of my favourite things this season.

All the banter in the D&D campaign party was great

Elendil004 posted:

I felt like the Dany line with Jon was a nod to all the fans who call her Dany which was lame as hell.

yes, very much so. I thought I'd had a stroke because why would he even think to call her that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Diddie posted:

How does killing Jon & Co stop Dany from bringing her dragons? Why not kill them and res them? If they were waiting for the dragons why did they start attacking the second the lake froze over?

one of the perks of playing WW is Fog of War is permanently disabled for your Hero units so he was just timing it right so it wouldn't be so obvious

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's gonna be real weird to have a whole season after this unless it's basically one long battle

the most awesome troll ever would have been to have Dany show up and actually literally just obliterate all the WWs then and there, and next season is straight back to season 1 political drama with Cersei and Dany trying to outcrazy each other

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the plot is like a singularity - the closer your proximity to it, the more time and space warp

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
littlefinger turns out to be the Man in Black from dark tower

wait no, because that would actually make sense.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i know, i feel genuinely sorry for people who are bothered when stuff moves at the speed of plot. fonzie jumping a shark is not that strange compared to "some guys with no food or shelter survive in sub-zero temperatures for the length of time it takes, combined, one man to run at least one day's walk, AND THEN a bird to fly hundreds of miles, AND THEN a human on the back of a dragon to fly hundreds of miles at a slow enough speed to not like, fall off or freeze"

it's something that isn't even CLOSE to explicable (unless maybe the "magic ravens" part helps) and to enjoy it i had to just completely not give a gently caress and pretended i was watching a video game cut scene from 2003

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well this episode essentially told us either Westeros is about 1/100th the size we've previously established or that ravens are actually going supersonic speeds. It's not hard to predict why it would stick out here so I don't think you win any internet points for guessing that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WampaLord posted:

I mean, time is a major plot hole in Empire Strikes Back (Did Luke become a Jedi in a week or did Han and Leia hang in that worm belly for months?) and that's still one of the best movies ever, so at a point just get over it or don't.

I already said it doesn't bother me at all, none of the "fast travel" stuff does and I hate arguing about tactical realism but the idea that they just stood on that lake for literally weeks is fuckin' hilarious

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
you might even say a major theme of this show is how fuckin' huge and disjointed this world is!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i think we're supposed to think sansa is smart enough to realize that arya was basically telling her "yo sis i could ice that creep for you and then pretend to be him" hence handing her the dagger (SYMBOLISM you see)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accretionist posted:

I think GoT and Twin Peaks have a similar thing going on here. There's factions that can see through time, so their schemes and strategies involve timeline fuckery.

Yeah I mean it's pretty unlikely that all this weird poo poo with bran won't come up a lot more. I don't think a single joke name is the only reason they introduced the idea of people's minds seeing through time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

VaultAggie posted:

Is gendrys hammer gone? I thought I saw the hound toss it aside during the fight. RIP awesome hammer. :(

Yeah that was a hilarious fakeout. The Hound tossed it when he saw that double damage vs. undead is not as good as "auto-crits undead"

It occurs to me it is very, very vaguely possible we're meant to think they were on that lake for a week or so. They have fresh water and presumably some food left. All they have to do is stay warm :wink:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bates posted:

They can afford all this CGI and going to fancy settings but writing characters and developing them in interesting ways is apparently wizardry.

you have clearly never worked in publishing, editing, or any creative field that requires scripts, because good writing is something you can't just throw money at to solve.

Lucas paid Tom Stoppard - Tom motherfucking Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead Stoppard - to improve the script for Revenge of the Sith and even that didn't work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i feel so bad for kit harrington being contractually obligated to have that stupid facial hair for so long

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like Jaime's been on a slow burn path to "I am so tired of all these throne games!" for years now and I'll be very disappointed if his last scene isn't something like "Hey Bronn... let's just rob the palace and sail the gently caress to Braavos or something, you in?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

I don't think she cares about the smallfolk at all. But she does care about herself.

Varys gave the "you'd burn the world to sit on a throne of ash" speech to the wrong person. I feel like it applies far more to Cersei.

e: and real talk Tormund/Brienne hooking up and becoming the new co-rulers of the Sapphire Isles is the only "happy ending" I legit want to see

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gotta tech up to Valyrian Arrowheads

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It seems like all you have to do is touch a WW with steel and they disintegrate, get Qyburn to make some big rear end blunderbuss'

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If we don't get dragonglass grenades then just smh

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think they're setting up an oh poo poo moment when it's revealed the WWs are fireproof. Lingering on the NK just strolling over flames etc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
now that the Night King has a mount, he can be a...

Night Ranger

:kickinrad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zzulu posted:

Things that are objectively good:

1 - Two and a half men (one of the best sitcoms of all time, since it was popular)
2 - Annoying youtube celebrities who scream into their mics for attention (since they're popular)

Those things aren't objectively good, it's just an objective fact that a lot of people think they're good. You're free to think that they all have poo poo taste, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dany and Jaime falling in ~love~ would be infinitely more interesting than Dany/Jon

I really like Jon Snow as a character but Harrington just can not do romance scenes to save his fookin' life

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

banned from Starbucks posted:

The girl with 15 self appointed titles doesnt want to be put on a pedestal lol

There is no way to have this discussion without getting into the gross views on gender in the series and nobody wants to have that discussion

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

As someone with a vagina, the only gross view of gender in this show (to me) is the writers thinking that all you need for a strong female character is for her to be good at fighting and sass.

I wasn't saying the series only has gross views on the female gender.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jorah played the best Hamlet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LO4EQcMR2Q

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jorah and Selmy were Dany's Two Dads.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If "winters only happen because of the WWs" isn't true, it should be. It makes far too much sense.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

some guy on the bus posted:

This is the dumbest part of the whole entire series.

The banter on the walk? Heresy, that part rules.

"Dick? I like that."
"I bet you do."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I honestly thought when Arya and Sansa met in secret it was gonna be "Hahaha hey sis, can you imagine Littlefinger thinks we're actually mad at each other?"

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's almost as if the night king can see what other people can see and was specifically waiting for the dragons

• Locked thread