Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
I'm as excited for the thread as I am the game, because it means that the game can't be delayed anymore! Now it HAS to come out.

RE Lei Wulong: there is an article about how DLC characters are going to be separated from "Returning Characters", in that returning characters are not considered purchasable DLC, but rather might be free additional content to the game. I imagine this is still in effect, unless it has somehow been debunked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
While Steve is more technical due to peekaboo stance and his attacks having dodge/movement elements, most of the depth I hear about the Tekken series comes from the many, many small and precise situations that arrive constantly during a game. If you're off axis by a little bit, that one combo you work your rear end off to do might not work right. Recognizing when things are going to be weird like that is where experience comes in.

If that statement is accurate, then it's safe to say the game is more about the varied situations than it is about the characters. At least, that is probably true for the kind of play we'll be seeing as we learn. Even if you're playing someone complex, you'll probably do just fine picking up a basic routine of combos and not worry/focus about how to execute all of his unique maneuvers.

It probably gets said every fighting game thread, but I've never been too fond of the stigma associated with playing "common, basic" characters either. No shame in switching. It's more important to get a few hours of fighting in on some kind of regular basis than it is who we're using anyways.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Wasn't back when the list was put together anyway!

I wonder how the game shakes out now actually, I think there's been a patch in the past 3 months?

I believe (possibly erroneously) that he and Lee are console release characters, so they won't show up for arcades until the game is released for consoles.

As well, the console release will be introducing a handful of changes to the game that will be patched into the arcades on release, so that the console release is kind of like a version change/update patch. I think it's mostly character stuff, though there's a thread on zaibatsu about it.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Your Computer posted:

I love Feng and have been practicing with him in TTT2 the last days (turns out I had TTT2 on my WiiU even though I've never played it), does he get any noticeable changes to how he plays in T7?

Also, since I'm a complete beginner... anyone got any good, easy tips for him? :shobon:

Lei didn't make it in the base roster, so I'm giving Feng a try. From what I've learned, he keeps a lot of good pokes that he has from past games, but his combos are different due to the universal changes in Tekken 7, such as the new tail spin/screw attack stuff.

ATP has an old article that tries to translate "Nobi's Beginner's Guide" video for the characters, including Feng. It seems worth a watch even if you don't understand the language, and it shows a bit of what you'll be aiming for when devising up a viable combo. Unfortunately I haven't come across a very detailed or complete video on how to handle Feng, but I'm fairly sure such character videos will emerge once the world gets their hands on the game. It's also worth watching some matches with Feng players going at it to see what gets used. TakTak's (now BattleFinger) channel is good for such things.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
That was amazing. JDCR pops up all the time when looking up Tekken stuff, and I hear he's a very good nature'd guy that really goes out of his way to make helpful Tekken related content. It's impressive alone that he managed to get such a win over Saint, who's been a dominant figure for what feels like a long time.

Unfortunately, I got so hyped from the tournament that it sort of killed my drive to play more Injustice 2 during the wait!

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Evil Canadian posted:

Ughhhhhh I caved and bought it on ps4, now to figure out how to add more gaming hours in a day so I can play this and injustice.

Just wait until Red Hood and enjoy some Tekken in the meanwhile. :toot:

I'll be going PS4 at the start but gonna grab this for PC as well. Might wait until I can get a reduced price though, maybe. Guess it depends how things pan out on PC in the first few weeks. First thing's first though; knock out that story mode, get my rear end into training mode.. So much to do!

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
This game feels great to play. Awful that the online isn't working or PS4 right now but I expected issues. Surprised PC isn't suffering from it, might have to grab a copy earlier than I thought.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is anyone else having bad connection problems on PS4? I cannot get into a ranked match at all.

This is a Big Issue that surprisingly isn't being posted about as much as I thought it'd be. That's probably because it's only effecting PS4 (and maybe Xbox, which I kind of forget exists).

You cannot join Rank or Player matches in any shape or form. Even trying to join lobbies (player match search/creating your own) results in a fail-to-connect error for you or people trying to join you. Some have managed to get a fight or two even still, but it requires sitting around the warm-up rank/player modes for long periods of time shifting through error messages (haven't really seen this happen personally). Tournament mode works, in that you can join and create your own. It's not a very good method for grinding out matches, but it's the only one I was able to confirm works until they fix the issue. It is not a NAT type issue, although it's worth checking out to make sure you have NAT type 2 or 3 just in general for playing vidya online.

I'd suggest picking up the PC version if you find the game fun enough to stick with for a while. You gain a prettier game if you have a good rig, and it sounds like the game holds its FPS even on underpowered ones with low graphics. You gain access to Goons, which are the best kind of people on the internet, and the online seems to work reliably.

Otherwise, just gotta chill in Treasure Battle mode until they do something about it. I don't think they've made any official statement yet, but it's only like day 2 of the game's release. Takes time to iron out network issues.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Elvis_Maximus posted:

You can play ranked matches at least on PS4

You have to sit in the match list till a challenge pops up, accept that and your good to go

It's still stupid though and needs to be fixed

I can confirm that this is plausible. I got a match after 10 minutes of waiting.Then after going back to ranked match list, started getting "can't find anything/searching for session" errors. Another few minutes got me paired with another dude. Both times a fight request could not be sent for a rematch, but they could have just declined.

Rough going but this is at least some kind of option.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Real hurthling! posted:

I think i love feng

There's a lot to love about that crazy shaolin gangster, but I wish I could find a better pair of monk-like pants for the guy.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
I was gonna nab the PC version of the game at some point in the future, but since the matchmaking is so messed up on PS4 currently, now seemed as good a time as any. Thanks to an earlier goon who suggested gamersgate, saved me some 10 bucks.

My streaming/gaming rig is pretty recent and significantly Shway enough that I've been able to run a few hours session in Ultra without any real noticed issues. Still, I prefer ensuring a smooth ride if possible. Are there any settings I should turn off from the Ultra preset, maybe something that's known to cause issues or is just kinda useless?

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Seems like the PS4 is functioning better now, I'm actually getting matches in most modes. I still get a handful of "cannot connect"s, but I surprisingly managed to gain up to Initiate.

Then got beat back down to 1st Dan. Oh well. Short lived, but I got to see how the more competent players handle themselves. Hope to get back up there and learn some more poo poo.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

BattleHamster posted:

Frame data overlay that I'm probably going to try out when I get home: http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2017/6/29/tekken-7-pc-tekkenbot-frame-data-overlay.html

Has anyone here tried using it? thoughts?

I picked it up. It really does play out very well for training mode, in that you can identify the data behind most of your moves. Like Aris pointed out, it saves a ton of time when trying to figure out just what frame number a particular move sits at. Usually that would require setting up a scenario in training mode, sometimes a complex and time consuming process depending on the move. It's not perfect though as some moves carry too unique an aspect that confuses the program. That is not a common situation I find, most moves seem to display properly and will help a great deal in knowing exactly how many frames a move is, its damage, etc. Hopefully its creator will be able to address those moves that confound the program.

As a newbie, I don't really need the exact number. I think in terms of "this move might be punishable but not by much, better use the fastest punish", or "this move caused the opponent to do a stagger animation, good chance a bigger punish will work" and so forth. Even so, it helps me get an understanding of how safe or unsafe moves I like to use are, and I try to understand the general lay-of-the-land in regards to how long most peoples commonly used strings are. I no longer need to look up on rbnorway to figure out the stats of my favorite moves (something I rarely bothered to do, but really should) as it's all displayed right there on the screen in real time. There's even a separate window outside of the game that keeps a log, though it's not as intuitive to read as the in-game display. If I spend enough time in training mode with this program, I will for sure have a better understanding of what it means to be at certain frames, rather than always boiling the experience down to "feeling." Especially if I go about recreating specific situations that constantly catch me off guard online.

I like this thing a lot. I agree with Aris that they really ought to put this kind of information in the game, like what NRS or Virtua Fighter does. There is some thought about using this program online. However, I am not worried at all about the program being an advantage during a match. By the time you can read what the display updates with, the opponent will already have moved past those frames. Players will still need to visually identify the attack by its animation if they are to have any hope of reacting in time and properly addressing the situation. While they may be able to come up with a better response thanks to the information presented, that response will need to be planned for the next time they are in that situation. Sounds no different than what we all are expected to do in a match regardless of knowing the exact frames or not.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I hit brawler pretty quick with Josie just by rotating through 4 or 5 different things and knowing how to do 50 damage of juggles.

Offense in general seems to win matches while ranking through the lower ranks. I dunno if real Tekken is suppose to be such a heavy offensive game, but I see time and time again players that have potent offense that utilize quick, safe strings and heavy punishers at reasonably good times, but will absolutely fall apart once you learn to block some of it and start chopping away at the knees. Some don't even attempt to defend, and will 100% of the time run into anything you throw out during or after wake up.

It makes sense to me why people do it, since winning is viewed as the indicator of growth, and learning how to block well in Tekken is a life long process which won't see results for some time. And I don't really mean to say it as a complaint - I'm enjoying Tekken, and want to play it for a long time. Since players have all studied up on their offense, I get to study how to defend against it. It's not very glorious when I look at my rank, but I try to keep in mind that my victories are not recorded in the stats.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
I've heard a lot of praise for how well the game runs on a wide variety of different machine builds/configurations. My 1070 runs it with full graphics flawlessly at 1080p, but I'm not familiar with how much impact 4k has on that, and the rest of my machine is somewhat modern too, for what that's worth.

e: As far as how difficult the game is, you don't have to dig all that deep to engage in some cool combos and such. I find the Kyu/Dan ranks to have a lot of people still that are just trying to do very basic stuff. You probably won't hit a wall until you get out of those ranks and into the blue ranks (mentor/master/etc). That's where people seem to know more than a few things and is where my scrubby rear end can't even break into yet.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 16, 2017

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

poe meater posted:

Trying to learn some Tekken history. So how good and respected are naps and Anakin when compared to Asian players? I see a bunch of Korean players popping in Anakin's stream to say hello.

On a side note I seen more urien matches from naps than Tekken due to what I played back in the day.

What about rip and Aris? I thought they were just commentators but it seems like they competed at a high level.

This is by no means comprehensive, but lemme give you some verbal diarrhea off the top of my head.

Anakin was and probably still is America's Strongest Tekken Guy. He is a very cool dude from what I hear, an old school Tekken player and streams sometimes. Out of all of america, he has consistently been the best chance at tackling the global stage, and has definitely earned the respect of the community all over the world. Speedkicks has been doing really well for himself too, and might be taking that mantle of USA's Best sometimes soon. I haven't heard much about Naps lately.

Sadly they and most everyone else fall short compared to the Korean Gods that are JDCR and Saint. There have been some upsets recently that might be contesting their dominance, though none of them are from the states and it's still early to say how consistent they will be. I really hope somebody does start giving them a run for their money, as it's less interesting watching those two go at it in a grand finals yet again.

Rip and Aris both place well in american tournaments. Rip more-so, as Aris has completely given himself over to the streamer online-only lifestyle, which means he plays several different characters to help entertain his viewers and never gets good enough with just one to really compete in tournament seriously. It can be a bit of a rolled dice if he gets into top 8 or not, and the last thing he won was a Tekken 7 Auction Tournament some while ago. He hates to travel, so he doesn't enter tournaments much anymore. I believe he is in Denvor for Dreamhack to commentate the (I think last american) Tekken World Tour Tournament right now and for this weekend.

Rip is less stream-bound, and has a strong enough proficiency with Law to place high and even take an american tournament. He occasionally seems to contest some of the best players out there on the global stage too, but commentary is his main gig, so he too suffers from being unable to really put in a ton of time with his Law and really challenge the best of the best. Pretty sure he's an all-around fighting game sort of guy since he commentates for other games, so he'll play SFV and whatever else, which means less time for Tekken. But he gets a lot of experience in tournaments, so he is still buff (and a cool guy, watch his streams).

Ultimately, East Asia players tend to stand at the top of the pile. JDCR won last year's Evo, and the man often appears as an unstoppable machine designed only to play Tekken, and usually mains Dragunov with some pocket characters. Saint is comparable in that regard and is the only one who really challenges JDCR, maining Jack 7. There's beef between these two people, as they both are Korean but learned to play in different regions and with different styles. I don't think they hate each other or anything, but they both had different "groups of dudes who learned Tekken back in the day", so they've clashed a lot over the years.

It's kind of hard to say entirely why the west doesn't do so well at Tekken. I tend to blame it on the game coming out a whole 2 years after it did for arcades over in the east. It isn't so much, to me, that america sucks, more that we just haven't had the time to be as good as those who've had the game for so much longer. I'm not really sure if we'll ever overcome that discrepancy either.

But it's important to remember that Tekken is a really good game to watch. Even if they aren't on Korea's level, there are a ton of players all over the world that do incredibly impressive things with their characters. You can almost always tune into a tournament held most anywhere and find some great things happening here and there. I watched Tekken 7 at Northwest Majors a while ago, which wasn't even a Tekken World Tour tournament, and had a great time watching Kongojack get 3rd place (believe he's an old school Tekken player from Seattle). There's a lot of people like that who are good and fun to watch, who come from all over the place.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Tier listing the power levels of tournament players doesn't usually go over well. Take any/all of it with a grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

In Training posted:

Update: I hate windows because I did some troubleshooting this morning and it was some USB driver update that hosed it up. If anybody else has this issue in the future I can suggest trying this: "If you're still in need of a fix, this worked for me. For Windows 10, Go to Device Manager and disable "Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator". It's under Software devices." cheers all now i can spam snake edge online in peace

This was a problem for me some time ago, where my Dualshock 4 would register up/back inputs and the game would freeze/stutter for a few seconds randomly. The entire internet had not idea wtf, up until I found mention of that root enumerator thing in a FFXIV thread, of all places, that had not-so-similar controller disconnect issues. I tripped so hard when that solution worked that I ended up posting about it in some steam thread.