Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This game looks fun and I'm looking forward to getting it on PC. :unsmith:

I have a wired pad that's been in storage for a while that I might be able to use for this!

Brosnan posted:

Honestly I think Asuka is the noob favorite for some reason.

It's probably the titties. (unless :thejoke:?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Well that was amazing. Also the music is :krad:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Trykt posted:

Gonna share some generally important lessons for newer peeps that I've learned from playing Tekken and 3D fighting games in general over the years . Some/all of this might seem super obvious but I promise each of these bullet points was a genuine fuckin' epiphany for me at some point:
  • Learn your punishes first - If you can't consistently punish unsafe moves then people WILL abuse them against you. Make sure you can at least attempt to do basic punishment, which includes knowing which moves you can actually punish with a combo instead of a single hit or string.
  • Block high, react to lows - This is kind of upside-down from 2D games. Your general goal on defense is to default to stand blocking to defend against highs and mids, and react to throws with a break input and react to lows (which are generally slowish moves) with a low block or low parry (then punish).
  • Mids are the baseline of your offense - As above, lows are generally slower/riskier, and High hitting moves generally have great properties but will always have the liability of being duckable which can lead to punishes/interrupts of varying severity. You need to threaten with mid hitting attacks very often to keep the opponent honest.
  • Strings that include highs after the first hit are mostly bad - Corollary to the previous point, but anytime you show the opponent a canned string that includes an obvious high (or low, for that matter) you're asking to get hit. There are strings that allow you to do different inputs to mix between a high or mid or even a low, or sometimes a stance change, and those are generally fine pressure tools. But if you try to use a mid-high thing as a go-to poke you're gonna get bopped.
  • Learn to convert off wall hits - Something that really intimidated me about learning TTT2 was figuring out how to alter my combos to include walls, but it turns out this is really easy. Every character will have 1 or 2 moves/strings that are basically meant to "pick up" a combo on an opponent that splats on a wall and you basically just go straight into this ASAP when the wall hit happens, then finish with a combo ender. Then it's oki as usual, that's it.

I hope that's helpful to somebody! Please ask questions if anything is unclear.

As someone that has zero Tekken experience (aside from occasionally dropping quarters in Tekken 4 many years ago), this is super-helpful. Thanks!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Having fun in a video game? Surely you jest!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The guys at Namco have put together a recap for the first 3 Tekken games in case you're new to the story. With the rest probably coming soon.

It's a very serious and heartwarming tale.

Very informative. Should be added to the OP.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Tekken 7: Akuma's Side Hustle

That's all I got :shrug:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sometimes Reddit comes through with a winner:

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/ShamefulEuphoricHairstreak

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm planning to get it on PC.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Brosnan posted:

It's a c/p you fuckin goobers.

I imagine you doing what your avatar is doing while reading posts like that.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I gotta wait until next paycheck to Seven my Tekkens. So in a couple weeks I will unlock all my kung fu waifus.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

interrodactyl posted:

here's a playstyle guide somebody whipped up if you don't know who your waifu is

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yqgxbES6su4clpQou2hzlZN40rpPBtwmMRKWfexbj3g/mobilebasic

I know this was already posted earlier but this is a very good guide. Also, it loads much better on my PC since it's the read-only version of the same Google doc. Can we get this in the OP to replace the slower editable version?

Also,

quote:

Bob is an extremely well rounded character

:haw:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So just looking at the character guide I can't decide between Kazumi, Leo, and Lili. I guess I'll just mess around with them when I start playing and see which is my favorite waifu.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This might be a dumb question but Google isn't quite helping me out. Where did the term "avoiding the puddle" come from?

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm starting a tutorial video series with the intent of helping out players who are like me and come from more of a 2d background. Hopefully some of you guys find this helpful, more vids coming tonight + over the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3axLJCUOI

Good video, looking forward to more!

nogic posted:

If people were looking for basic combos this article has a couple for each character plus basic wall juice:

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2016/3/24/nobis-beginner-guide-videos-for-tekken-7.html

And this is a great article, very to the point. Maybe this should be in the OP too? drat, there's a lot of good info out there.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

I was looking up a picture of a hitbox and only see four buttons (I don't know what one is) so you just hit both at same time? Really intrigued by this

Yeah it's essentially a glorified keyboard, your left hand is basically using a modified WASD layout for three fingers and a thumb.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/wizardworldgaming

Sajam and Da Alfa (punk) are about to fight in this game

Tasty steve and Rip going ham on commentary

This is fun to watch. They're doing a thing where if someone can beat Rip in one game (vs. 2 games for Rip) they get a free copy of Tekken 7.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

attackmole posted:

For those of you who were worried about the PC scene dying:

Obviously day one numbers have no indication of who's going to stick around or not, but I'd say that doing 1.5x SF's all time high on PC is a pretty good indication that a shitload of people own the game and it'll probably have a decently populated scene stick around.

Yeah that all-time peak is pretty great, good job everyone.

I dunno why people are so worried about a dying scene already. Are people just nervous after what's happened with SF5?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm okay with Tekken 7 being all silly and accessory-crazy like TF2 if the game is still fun.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Trykt posted:

Watch DandyJ's stream for tips on how to execute carbohydrate-based zoning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1p_I3dwmo

If this video doesn't get you to buy Tekken 7 then I don't think anything will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:perfect: