Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

So when I was like 12 I was super into T3 and Tag and could play any character and wreck poo poo. Then 4 came out and I didn't like it and a combination of local arcades dying and me not giving a poo poo about consoles anymore led to me dropping the franchise. Saw this came out for PC yesterday and impulse bought it. Messed around with a few characters in practice and was pleased to see muscle memory had me pressing a lot of buttons (correctly) without my brain really understanding why I was doing it so I may stick with it for a while, since it seems I won't have to completely relearn it from scratch. If I can get past my old man reflexes and learn to move around again I may just buy a new controller that isn't an old PS3 dualshock with sticky buttons from spilled beer. Just popping in to say thanks for the newbie resources ya'll are posting in here and you may see me online at some point so feel free to embarrass me for sloppy gameplay if you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

TIL you can get quit on and still promote, which just happened to me when i dunked on some poor leo

You sure? I had a promo match vs a Lee that had a perfect win streak and I was thinking RIP me, but I loving crushed him the first round, second round I got him in a standing heel hold right off and he quit halfway through the indian death lock. I most certainly did not get promoted.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

So what rank do I need to hit before I start seeing decent players?

Played this for a few hours and made it up to Brawler. I don't know any frame data, spent like 5 minutes in the trainer and am just working off of 20 year old muscle memory and aside from one decent Bryan player, I've just been dominating everyone except for a handful of new characters I didn't recognize with big misleading flippy bullshit that looks high/mid but actually hits low. I know I'm mediocre at best and just wondering how much grinding I need to do before I get out of this scrub tier of capos and guys that only learned the one launcher+combo and try to spam it endlessly.

e: PC if it matters

Mondian fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 14, 2017

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I lost a few matches, like I said, I'm rusty and a lot of these characters are new to me, but I won every rematch except two. One against the chick with chainsaws and one vs some blonde girl that was bouncing around all over the place. In both cases I just had no experience with them and they didn't have obvious visual queues. Everyone else was pretty terrible, even the decent Bryan was grandmaster and never adapted. I must have pulled 1,2,crouch grab on him like six times in one match and he never learned. Some of them knew high damage juggles, but were one trick ponies, after I shut down the launcher one or twice they either spammed it in frustration or gave up entirely.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Is Hwoarang known for luring in bad players or did I just get lucky facing three different lovely Hwo's that bailed mid match to preserve their precious win streak today?

Sorta surprised at how many people don't rematch after they've lost too. I love it when some guy annihilates me and always try again. Especially if I lost 3-0, how else am I going to learn?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

If you aren't already, you should most definitely be watching t7 top 8 at CEO

https://www.twitch.tv/tekken

drat, I'd forgotten how sexy that body press is. Good matches.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Its a bad move that makes you very vulnerable for not much damage.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Sure wish I didn't get hit by sweeps so goddamned always. Sure I could blame not having 1/3rd of a second reaction time on being an old man, but really I'm just not looking forward to hours and hours of practice mode rectifying the problem.

There's no shortcut is there?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

A lot of sweeps aren't blockable on reaction (i.e. mishima hellsweep, leo db+4, paul demolition man) but you get like a 40% combo if you guess right and block it

I thought demo man only actually knocks down on counterhit? Or was that just a range thing

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Practice makes perfect. You don't have to practice mode grind it, just set procedural goals for yourself as you play. ("I want to block sweeps" eventually becomes "I want to punish blocked sweeps with a while rising 2" could eventually be "I'm gonna low parry something this game" etc)

Tips for dealing with that:
Watch to see if your opponent has a pattern of going for lows. You can hopkick those with u/f 4 or something similar if you want to make the call.
If there's a low you especially hate (you said sweep so I'm going to assume something like katarina's d/b 4) try to keep the space between you and the opponent so it whiffs.

Yeah, pretty much anything snake edgeish. Just a low and slow juggle starter. My current procedural goal is already "stop walking into those you idiot," but the problem is compounded by not being familiar with like half the roster so I'm slowly learning to recognize their strings too. Also I've been avoiding my old mains and trying to give King a go instead. I always liked his style, but never really went for it. I'm getting the feeling it might not be the best idea, however, as it feels like he requires a lot more patience and precision. I'm having a lot of trouble keeping up pressure or getting out of sticky situations like I could with other characters.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 21, 2017

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

As with all fighting games, as long as you're having fun and learning then you're not really wasting your time. (relatively speaking of course.)

Of course, I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't enjoy it, but at some point efficiency needs to come into play. I'm no longer 12 years old with the luxury of playing Tekken 8 hours a day every day of the summer. I mean, that $200k world tour prize pool is tempting, but I think it'd be ambitious to quit my day job just yet.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

Online tournament stream time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEjLAqPh-3E

If you wanna join the tourney join this group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/chillbats

Tournament was fun, except for whatever reason none of my binds stuck. So I was in round one with King and default setup A and got clobbered. Only reason I switched to Paul was vague memories of T3 and knowing I could maybe do something and only really have to push like 3 buttons. You may have noticed I dropped like every single combo real early because I had no idea what to do so I just tried to poke it out and land the odd phoenix smasher. Is the bind thing supposed to happen? After the tourney I went straight to setup and it showed my custom binds just fine.

Anyway you should just do these for pc every week because its great.

pretty soft girl posted:

Great tournaments! I'm the lee player from tournament 3, I had a blast. I haven't played much against a variety of players so getting exposed to other players in a setting where people are really hungry for wins was pretty great.

Lee is tough in the execution department (I think I dropped almost every opportunity I had on the floor) and resources on him are few and far inbetween, it seems like anyone that plays him is a veteran going back to TTT2 and nothing is dumbed down so it's been a bit of a learning curve

Your Lee was a joy to watch.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

So when you're in warm-up and accept a match and it says lost connection, is that them rejecting the match or some unrelated fuckup because I get that a ton.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Any particular advice for dealing with power crushes? I haven't faced many Ninas, but one caught me with that f+1+2 a bunch of times yesterday. Not used to it being armored so my instinct was to jab her out of it and that obviously bit me each time. Learned my lesson and got her on the rematch, but whats the general rule with those? Just block and punish? I'm guessing there's no hard counter. I know throws are inescapable when you're armored, but that seems super risky unless you're intimately familiar with the particular move.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Boy do I really hate two things after tonight. Dragunov's D+2 and Bryan's d/b+2 both seemingly minor slaps that turn every random fuckup I make into a full trip to combo town for half my hp

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

Dragunovs d2 isn't a combo starter, neither is Bryans db2.

You mean Dragunovs df2, and Bryans Jet Upper (f,b+2)?

I know they're not, but they're frequently the immediate follow-up. And there's not much to do while you're being juggled but watch and silently rage about it. I understand their role, I just think they're visually misleading maybe? Dunno how many times a Drag player has caught me with something small and I'll crumple thinking I'm safe-ish when out comes that stupid looking d+2 that scrapes the floor and pops my body up four feet in the air. Part of it is ignorance of like 100 moves x 30 characters and rarely being able to spot the properties of a move by seeing it, but drat do those two moves look dumb for what they do and I have to see them all the time.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Any general tips on fighting Eddy with characters with not many/bad lows other than "stay away"

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Unfortunately not.

Unrelated: People that refuse a revenge match after a 5 round match are loving garbage

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

yo mamma a Horus posted:

if you have specific questions about his poo poo feel free to ask!

if you are getting beat by mashing eddys then all you can really do is go over his command list a few times and try to spot the stuff that hits you sometimes and just look at it, so maybe next time you'll pick up on it. depending on how new you are, eddy is hosed up to learn how to fight against.

No, I can handle the mashers just fine. I played like a thousand hours of T3 and TTT when I was a kid and then basically nothing until now, so I'm mildly aware of the basics of fighting capos. I was playing some unranked earlier and came across an Eddy that knew his poo poo and had nothing better to do than destroy me for like 15 matches in a row. I kept revenging him trying to soak up anything I could, I have no idea what he was getting out of it. Does he have mid launchers? Because I swear he was only doing lows and mids and my King felt completely impotent. I think I won 2 matches out of the whole encounter and that was mostly just me keeping at extreme range and using the stuff I very rarely bother with. Thanks for the tips tho! I'll take a look at the things you mentioned when I get some free time to examine Eddy in the lab.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Capital Punishment has a lot of problems though, super trivial to sidestep and he either did that or just knocked me out of the air every time. At least it gives advantage on block though, the knee is very punishable, though yeah it would have probably been lots more effective if I recognized any of the strings being thrown at me. As always, more practice is required.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Whoa that rock golem Jack skin painted black is cheap. Not as cheap as those pure, flat black shadow skins I've seen some people use, but still It obscures most of his upper body.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Dracula Factory posted:

How do I break throws

For basic 1+3 and 2+4 throws the break is 1 or 2, respectively. You need to watch which of their arms is forward to tell which one to hit <- This is a thing everybody says, but in practice I find you need goddamn ridiculous reflexes to actually do that so maybe just guess. Special throws are typically 1+2 breaks. If you're caught in a chain-throw just pick either 1 or 2 and mash the gently caress out of it the entire time, because the break window is super tiny. Don't mash them all because hitting the wrong button during the break window autofails the attempt & negates subsequent inputs

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Are chickens still a thing? I was never good at being fast enough for it myself, but I've reversed a number of things so far and haven't had anyone do it.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Man, sometimes I'm a bit bummed there's no communication with other players aside from smashing their faces in, but the couple of times I've tried to reach out to a player after pretty even match-ups they've always turned out to be a toxic shitlord.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

drat... I almost never come across other Kings in the wild, but I know the cliche of stagger kicks and chain grabs. I fought some guy who was Brawler rank and had 120+ wins in unranked. I crushed him 12 rounds in a row and he literally tried absolutely nothing but stagger kicks and SS 2+4 ad nauseum. Like... how the hell did he make it that far with that? They're both so easily spotted and ridiculously punishable that I rarely throw them out at all.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

The mid is suuuuuper slow and visible and very launch punishable. Its really only good for maybe extending a combo to a wall

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

CRISPYBABY posted:

I dunno when people decided that an eight minute long youtube video makes a better reference than an easily scanable article or table.

When they realized they can get some ad revenue for their video as opposed to the nothing they got for posting an article on gamefaqs

I'm old and hate videos too fyi

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I love this video game, but I hate everyone that plays it.

Am I the only guy that starts foaming at the mouth when people don't skip their in/outros? We're on our tenth rematch, its bad enough waiting for a loading screen in between each one, just hit the loving button so I don't have to watch you slowly stroll up yet again :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

As a lovely king main, expect a lot of people to quit on you, because they've been soured by all the horrible chain mashing/stagger kick spam they see in low ranks.