Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

giogadi posted:

Suuuuuuuper pumped to dive into my first Tekken game (besides T3 when I was in elementary school). I'm glad that the netcode is expected to be great, but what should I expect from the whole online experience outside the matches? In TTT2 was there matchmaking and/or online lobbies? Which did players tend to use more? If there's a lobby system half as good as Xrd's, that'll be all I need.

Tekken 7 looks like it has a built in tournament mode for online where you can win funbucks.

Which is just the greatest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

DLC Inc posted:

So can Rage Drives basically function in the same way EX Moves i.e. have super-armor or go through certain moves? Idk if the other Tekken games I played (T5, TTT2) had this but I'm into spending your super meter on that stuff instead of the ultra move.

That slo-mo is gonna be so loving cool to watch in replays.

In general, no, they don't have armour at all. They're often far more useful than the Rage Drives though.

An example, I play Leo.

-Her Rage art is a slow, armoured mid that's very punishable on block but does a lot of damage on hit.
-Rage Drive is a fast, wallsplatting, safe mid with incredible pushback, and if it pushes them back against a wall, is one of the very few moves in the game that can chip kill.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The load times were bad for a long while, do we know what they're like now?

A hell of a lot faster than SFV, at least on the 'Eddie' build I played.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

inthesto posted:

HI I've never seriously played Tekken before but I'm all in and will play Leo because apparently she's easy to learn and also super good, so that's good enough for me

I main Leo, and she's a really good character to learn the game with, and has tools for every situation. Also the non-binary gender thing she has going on enrages nerds, which is a bonus, I'mma give her a moustache.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Sdoots posted:

Same but Armor King

Regular King got a lot of his good moves in 7, and customisation can do the rest.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

inthesto posted:

I thought Leo was a super popular character in general though

A lot of players used her as a secondary to their main in Tag 2, because she was a great partner for most of the cast.

I'd say she's mid-popularity overall? Not many people were using her in 6. Now King....

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Brosnan posted:

I think if you're planning to play Kuma then you're probably not planning to take the game very seriously so it mostly doesn't matter. That said, I play Kuma as kind of a secondary dickaround character and he basically works really well against people who haven't played enough to know how to fight Kuma, and then he immediately becomes terrible when they figure it out. Fortunately some people never figure it out!

Kuma is actually hella legit,there really aren't any bad characters in T7 (well, maybe Chloe)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Real hurthling! posted:

Which character is going to best identify me as a total scrub?

Eddie

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Brosnan posted:

Probably not, 'cause there isn't really a reason to do anything else. Just using thumbs is too slow.

I don't think anything in his tweet very strongly implies that they will be releasing free characters. He said selling season passes would enable them to do "free updates and support" aside from the paid DLC characters, but it seems like a long shot to assume that "free updates and support" means adding entire free characters back in to the game.

Although they have done this with previous titles.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jmcrofts posted:

Steve is hard right? I'm too scared to play anyone complicated

He's hard in a sense that he has a big moveset and a lot of the moves are very specific. He's a pressure character, so it helps if you know good fundamentals.

His punishment isn't great in a lot of situations, so you're reliant in your ability to go forward and force the game

His combos seem a bunch easier in Tekken 7 though.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Game not even out yet and already two players banned off the UK pre-tour for collusion

https://clips.twitch.tv/PhilanthropicSwissCarrotFloof

Law player couldn't have tried much harder to throw the match at the end

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

FunkMonkey posted:

I'm probably going to focus on a new main this time around and Steve is one of the ones I'm looking at. I like Feng's style too, but I don't know much about him.

Feng is a very fundamentally solid character, who you can get fancy with his autoblock stances if you're looking to style on people.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Medullah posted:

Is there a story reason Nina is in a wedding dress? Or does that remain to be seen, and for now it's just about people fantasizing about finally marrying the woman they've been dreaming about since she was this

Homage to Kill Bill? We don't know a whole bunch about the story mode, but she appears to have another, more traditional outfit as well.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Trykt posted:

Gonna share some generally important lessons for newer peeps that I've learned from playing Tekken and 3D fighting games in general over the years . Some/all of this might seem super obvious but I promise each of these bullet points was a genuine fuckin' epiphany for me at some point:

• Strings that include highs after the first hit are mostly bad - Corollary to the previous point, but anytime you show the opponent a canned string that includes an obvious high (or low, for that matter) you're asking to get hit. There are strings that allow you to do different inputs to mix between a high or mid or even a low, or sometimes a stance change, and those are generally fine pressure tools. But if you try to use a mid-high thing as a go-to poke you're gonna get bopped.

There ARE some mid to high strings that are okay though, namely ones that jail, meaning if you block them standing you can't duck the high.

The post is bang on though, everything in this will improve you massively starting out.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Luna Was Here posted:

Kuma, Panda, Miguel and Eliza are not yet available in Arcades and are coming with the console version of the game. I assume they'll be added into Arcades then but until then we're in the dark on how good any of those 4 will be

I don't think Lee or Eddy are in the arcades either are they?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

poe meater posted:

How hard is Nina and Bryan execution wise anyways?

In TTT2 Nina is one of the hardest characters due to her iWS1 loops. It seems like you don't need to have these in 7 to make her usable, so she shouldn't be too hard.

Bryans main difficulty spike is in using his unblockable taunt into Jet Upper launcher, which is a super tricky 1 frame link. HOWEVER, he's perfectly usable without this, and you'll rarely see even high level players attempt it any more (It was far more powerful in older versions of the game).

Kazuya is probably the hardest execution character, just because his EWGF and wavedash are absolutely critical to play him at any level.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Trykt posted:

As long as Bryan can still do Taunt into f+2,1,4 I don't think I'll ever feel an especially strong need to learn to do Jet Upper instead. I still don't really understand how you're supposed to do a B,F input in 1 frame or whatever!!!!!!!

It's a manually timed 1-frame link, you need to hit f, then on the next frame back and right punch to hit the exact 1-frame where it will connect. Taunt b+3 is more lenient and more useful, as it gives you full launch at the wall, where they can't backdash the short range on his taunt.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

except Mr. Naps who does it in tournament and it rules

Well true. He's so good Koreans compliment him on his movement.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

darealkooky posted:

as pretty casual tekken player something I've never really understood is why the movelists of each character are full of canned strings that don't fully combo even on counterhit and don't have some kind of built in mixup

are these just scrub traps to look cool and not something pro players ever consider, or is there some arcane use for this stuff that my scrub eyes can't comprehend?

A lot of those are combo filler, some are plus on block.

And some are just bad

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Your Computer posted:

I love Feng and have been practicing with him in TTT2 the last days (turns out I had TTT2 on my WiiU even though I've never played it), does he get any noticeable changes to how he plays in T7?

Also, since I'm a complete beginner... anyone got any good, easy tips for him? :shobon:

He's pretty similar, he got a great new move in f+1+2 thats a homing mid with great range and gets use in combos as well.

He's viable at all range, has some great lows and pokes in general, although his hopkick is kinda stubby, so he's not always the best at whiff punishment.

I'd link to some useful guides but TZ is down right now, though if you want something to watch Aris from avoiding the puddle did a great youtube series on the character thats super in depth.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Ixiggle posted:

B+1+2 is one of the best punishes in the game for that, long range and good damage at like i13. He doesn't really get launch punishes without whiffs or close range

F+3, 4 is a really good whiff punishing launcher as well

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

tyblazitar posted:

Watching Tanukana is a joy and made me seriously want to learn Xiaoyu.

On that topic, what are some good Paul players to search for on YouTube to learn how to be less bad? Last time I knew anything about pro Tekken YouTube wasn't even a thing so I doubt the same names would help much.

Kkokkoma, Knee and Chemsae have good Pauls.

Knee plays almost everyone to a high level tbh

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Is this your first experience of Aris or something?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

tyblazitar posted:

I don't really want to delve into the gross puddle too much, but is all the really icky Aris stuff mostly in the past and he's now either just learnt to hide it or legitimately a better person? Or does he just stay on the mat when doing high profile stuff like commenting while being a giant turd on his own stream?

Also is MadDogJin still around? At least I think that was his name? I remember him being considered The Best way back and it was a lot of fun watching him play.

Aris has honestly improved a LOT since The Incident. I mean, he's still something of a offensive, but I watch his stream a fair bit and the sexist stuff seems gone entirely. He's far less offensive than Zhi at this point, and the man clearly does love Tekken, and is great at commentating it.

Jimmy J Tran is the best US Tekken player, but he doesn't seem to show up a lot recently. Anakin, Princess Ling, Speedkicks and Bronson probably round out the top 5

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Glenn Quebec posted:

Unironically hype to play this thing super casually and play dress up.

I love getting hatemail for having my fightman barbies wear pretty dresses :3

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Yodzilla posted:

I really hope they redesigned Lars and Alisa for Tekken 7. I know Tekken has had dumb characters for as long as its been a series but those two looked like loving dog poo poo on the level of latter Soulcalibur's guest manga artist additions.

Good news friend!

..they're basically the same, hold that.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Your Computer posted:

Lars looks like he was rejected from Final Fantasy for being too anime.

I mean, you're aware Tekken has a customisation system so you can just change his hair, right?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Your Computer posted:

I only bought Tekken for the dress-up, I don't actually know how to fight

Best reason tbh

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Renoistic posted:

The costumization looks kind of lovely, to be honest. I'm a bit disappointed.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i love on srk when people used to put what characters they played in their sig and you could always tell when some guy was just real horny

The only player I know who plays only female characters ever.. is as gay as the day is long.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

https://drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/ This is probably worth posting again to get people going with characters.

The training/info for new players is really lacking alright, but for competitive players it's a pretty great release. Online double elimination tournaments? Sign me up.

The music is amazing in this game, goddamn.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 2, 2017

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Files found in the PC version seem t indicate Tekken Bowl is coming later for the game.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

interrodactyl posted:

I updated it a bunch to deal with the mistakes: https://gist.github.com/jmszhao/4841a5b6f09cdf78294817a1e11a2828

df2 launched crouchers in tag 2! I guess not anymore.

All the frame data is off of here: http://rbnorway.org/t7-frame-data/

You're right though, it looks like b1,4 data is wrong. I'll probably have to go through and scrub the rest at some point, but I'm pretty much done screwing with it for today.

Leo's b1,4 IS + about eight on block, but it leaves you in a stance where you can't block. However your 2 followup from the stance is a high ch launcher that beats any retaliation that isn't ducking, and 3,4 hopkicks them out of any ducking buttons.

You can also take the safe option and df out of stance tue quickly sidestep block. Done at fastest timing you end up neutral

B1,4 is one of the best moves in the game, abuse it

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah after one character reaches 1st Dan everyone else is promoted to that for online purposes so you can theoretically no longer pubsmash.

This apparently happens at higher breakpoints as well and is a cool and good change.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Your Computer posted:

Strings :arghfist::(
I looked at her movelist and there's so many strings and they're all so fast. It's like playing a turbo battle!

I thought Chloe was considered good, what changed? Or rather, what makes her that bad?

Chloe was never considered good. Though this should probably be pinned somewhere:

"Everyone is completely viable in Tekken 7"

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

guts and bolts posted:

Is Jin playable if you can't reliably EWHF on a pad

Because that's where I am

Yes, very much so, he doesn't rely on EWHF like the Mishimas rely on theirs. It's the cherry on top of his big cake full of good buttons.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Your Computer posted:

Here's an odd request; it's easy to find videos of high level pro matches, but what about beginner/intermediate play? As a Tekken noob myself it might be fun (or even a little educational) to watch other people struggle too :haw: Anyone got any youtube or twitch channels with this sorta stuff?

Watch Aris / Avoidingthepuddle

He's not the greatest player n the planet, though he is good, and he's constantly giving out A+ information (and horrible off colour jokes about Josie Rizals 'sweater dicks' but hey)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

guts and bolts posted:

so i'm tooling around with mraven

i'm falling into the combo vortex you'd call it, but it's so fun. for a while i was launching into b+2,4,2 but that's actually dumb and the right thing to do is just go right into f,f+3, d/f+2,3 for the screw

so right now i'm mostly just fooling around with ws1, f,f+3, d/f+2,3 S! b+3+4, SDW 3+4, f,f+3, f,f+4

you have to like, take half a step after the screw before you turn your back for the double kicks but it's pretty sweet.

is there a better resource for mraven stuff besides zaibatsu? most youtube videos don't do a good job of being consistent with notation or even include it, zaibatsu is borderline unreadable in places and a lot of it assumes knowledge of the game; like, people talk about mraven's "normal" SDW wall combo, but i have no idea what that is. i've been judging the distance if f,f+3 will splat and then just doing u/f+3+4,4,2 and calling it a day.

now i have no idea what the gently caress to do with mraven in an actual match, but i do know you can get this combo off of ws1 or SDW d+3 or probably some stuff on ch i don't fuckin know.

mraven is fun!

MRaven is a weird character who excels at playing keepout with ff+4, qcf+4, ff+3 (whiff punishing). Look for footage of Phantom or Lowhigh playing the character to get an idea of what she's about.

BNBs should be correct for most characters in this playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDzNGonyeoUtBqYuqku0QqNwk2mcSlV_n

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

1500 posted:

Tru3ta1ent has started streaming Tekken, English speaking and he spends all his time talking about what he is doing and why he is doing that move. I have found him worth watching.

https://www.twitch.tv/tru3ta1ent

Unfortunately Tru3 isn't any good at fighting games*, and gives out lots of incorrect and outright bad advice.

He's Max if Max was less well informed. If you want a stream to learn things from, despite his faults, Aris is by far the best streamer to watch right now.

*The only times I've heard of him showing up for offline tournaments, he got massacred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Real hurthling! posted:

Trying to practice the noby guide combo for katarina: u/f+4,4, ff4, b+1, b+1, b+1, Har, 4

but the ff4 is very finnicky to get after the hopkick unless it, like other noby guide combos is just written wrong?

When i get it ill feel less bad about stomping my scrub tier peers with one button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSILsOmLtFI

Everything you need to know about Katarina, including max damage combos, in just a few minutes.