Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I played jinpachi in TT2, dunno who if anyone in this game is similar. Failing that I can't wait to join the akuma army watch as people parkinsons wavedash past my fireballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Will this game have custom soundtracks like TT2? I really miss when tekken had actual variety instead of every single song being dubstep/D&B of varying quality

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

tekken 6 had great music, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsB14OVlcrs

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

as pretty casual tekken player something I've never really understood is why the movelists of each character are full of canned strings that don't fully combo even on counterhit and don't have some kind of built in mixup

are these just scrub traps to look cool and not something pro players ever consider, or is there some arcane use for this stuff that my scrub eyes can't comprehend?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

harada loves two things: anime babes and lovely dubstep/D&B music

luckily you can just replace the soundtrack with good music from previous games (unless you play on PC, then you get to wait for someone to bother making a mod & hope denuvo doesn't gently caress that up)

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah even if it's sometimes questionable (that strategy mode in that one Soulcalibur)

didn't that mode corrupt your memory card or something

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

being able to special cancel and reversal in tekken is a mind bending experience that I enjoy quite a bit

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

why did they decide to lock almost all the customization stuff behind one player modes

tag 2 did that a lil bit but it feels like I have way less options, not that I really need any besides floral shirt/beach fun akuma

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

Finished the story and I guess I was holding it to a higher standard than I should have

the story mode isn't even consistent with the extremely small amount of previous material, like in 6 heihachi doesn't know who lars is and that was the excuse for him coming out of nowhere, except in this game actually he had him on purpose to test out if he had demon semen or something and then just completely failed to keep an eye on him afterwards because ???

an actual story in tekken was and always will be a mistake, i'll take random vignettes from tag and the ps1 games over this nonsense any day. coulda used the money on all these fancy CGI cutscenes to put tekken ball in the game on launch or fix these annoyingly long and omni-present loading times these games have had for about a decade now

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 3, 2017

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

with that said I can finally stop pretending I understand how standing up in tekken works b/c I can just mash DP so this game is pretty drat good

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

getting customization stuff is really stupid. either cheap move spam braindead ai for hours in order to get the items for the character you're using and not one of the 3 dozen others, or play tournaments & actually have fun but take days instead because you get like 3 items after a half hour

it rly stings too when the chest is just money, like i'm not already drowning in this poo poo and unable to spend any of it because 80% of the things I'd want to spend money on are locked.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

remember when paul was like the 4th strongest character in the series and the only non-mishima person to beat a mishima or a final boss, but then the devs realized he was a gaijin barbarian pig so they cast him down into the joke character abyss?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

bait that poo poo out. have you played other fighting games? its like baiting dps. the scrubbier a player is, the more likely they're going to do rage arts at low health, so you should be able to predict when they're likely to do them, then block and punish them. the vast majority of them are launch punishable on block (i think -17?)

I think his point wasn't "I can't deal with rage arts help" and more that having to play in a super passive style to make sure you don't get tagged by a super is kind of dumb and boring.

comparing it to a DP is unfair because in almost every game getting hit by a DP doesn't take 50%, and even stuff like ultras in SF4 aren't really the same because in 2D games you have a lot more options in how you move around the screen and the moves tend to recover a bit faster so its less likely for you to get caught.

like there isn't really something akin to a safe jump in this game, is there? maybe this is just an online issue but I agree with that guy b/c against most people online I proceed to basically just stand there and only do whiff punishes the second they enter rage because there's been too many times where I throw out a 1 or a low kick or something and that was coincidentally the time they arbitrary decided to do rage art from a quarter screen away so I die

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 8, 2017

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I also just think rage arts are kind of a stupid mechanic for all the same reasons sf4 ultras were (super long and boring animation, being something you get every round you're losing encourages low level players to just throw it out randomly because they're losing anyway which is a bad habit that gets them destroyed by good players, the game has similar mechanics that fill the same niche but more effectively) but I can live with them existing just fine

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

tyblazitar posted:

I am embarrassed by how much time I spent on this.

kazuya and heihachi run global economic corporations that are so big they can literally fight a world war against eachother like a king or an emperor would (with their main credentials being "can punch really hard"), how are they only slightly more authoritarian than a cosplaying weeb?

I have to rate your list 0/10 for a complete lack of lore knowledge.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Renoistic posted:

I get wrecked by Eddies and Chloes. I guess I need to go through them in training mode.

But what is a good strategy against them? Should I go for low parrys or just block everything and attack? Sidestepping seems to be an exercise in futility.

just pick akuma and jump fireball/shoryuken a bunch so you don't have to deal with it

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

does akuma have any combos between "needs a bunch of FADC and tight timing demon flips that will probably drop online" and the sample combos when it comes to execution?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

tekken 7 might have the worst fighting game story mode of all time, why couldn't harada put in tekken ball or an idolmaster crossover instead

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

geese is really cool but it's a little silly to have two DLC characters with a reppuken, isn't it? punch kyo with all his followups would've been way more interesting.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

Hard to sympathize with Heihachi when he's the one responsible for raising Kazuya as a cold blooded monster.

tekken 7 retcons this so that kazyuya was literally born as the antichrist or w/e from the start and that being thrown off a cliff was somewhat in self deference, vs "he got thrown off a cliff to prove that he's super tough and he made a deal with the actual devil and/or awakened his secret anime powers as a result"

what I'm saying is that any man can only take some kid that doesn't know what he's talking about doing 112 to his dick so many times before you get fed up and toss off from then nearest oubliette

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

So are anna and lei going to cost money? I thought they said any returning DLC characters would be free.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Leroy is super wack and his release honestly leaves me really questioning namcos decision making.

it's pretty simple. namco is designing + balancing this game around what brings the most people & thus money to the game through buying it or watching it on a stream. cool & very busted dlc character = lots of money from people that like the character and people that want to win easily. season 3 that nerfs low tiers like bears/gigas/katarina and buffs kazuya/bryan because low level players don't like getting mashed out online by the first group but like watching pro players do fancy combos as the later group when they watch streams (this is why the only real low tier character to get huge buffs is lars, the king of flashy combos).

tekken 7 is a fun game but it's extremely obvious that harada and pals are taking advantage of the fact that tekken 7 is "the most popular japanese fighting game" instead of sf5 while they can

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 15, 2019

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

https://twitter.com/TekkenLowHigh/status/1242004373032423424

game is tekken 5DR but without the actually interesting stage design or variety of music styles or decent customization, enjoy

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

"why would you use 3D movement in a 3D fighting game when you could take a 50/50?" - man in charge of a fighting game that doesn't actually play it

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Roluth posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why the two biggest moves in the Mishima movelist were buffed as much as they were?

the legacy of "the epic mishima players and the hard to do EWGF move" gives tekken more appeal among casual stream watchers, blame pakistan for beating all the koreans recently

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/1242084880126603265

I was pretty close, actually. They won't improve the netcode but they'll balance characters based on online win rates. lmfao

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

do you? because only a few characters can even sidewalk hellsweep now

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Brosnan posted:

Murray correctly says that if you know a hell sweep is coming, you should block and punish rather than trying to sidewalk

hold this ff3 while you sit there preemptively down-backing the 16f low. hellsweep 50/50's are only "the mishima matchup" because tekken 7 consistently tries to make movement worse than previous tekken games with every patch, either in terms of speed or just making every other move track in dumb lab-encouraging ways. being able to actually use 3D movement in a 3D fighting game didn't even automatically defeat hellsweep previously because you could delay the timing to auto-correct the movement (but make what option you're going for a bit more obvious) or just do a different loving move. all that's changed is that now you can force your 50/50 in more situations. you can jab into hellsweep now and most of the cast just has to loving hold it.
if I wanted to guess between low/mid point blank over and over there are a lot of games that don't have tekkens obvious shortcomings I could play instead. there were only a few games where I can 3D maneuver around stuff. it's true that some people are getting unreasonably upset at murray or these patch notes in general, but that's to be expected when they consistently make odd changes for months & you encourage a cult-like mentality of Good rear end Tekken TM among your fanbase. The direction tekken 7 has been going in for the past like 6 months now has just been one baffling change after another and people are concerned the thing they spent a lot of time on is turning into something way different they may not care for.

Seltzer posted:

Also pretty hilarious that hwoarang got buffs for no good reason. I hope Fakhumram isnt OP so I can enjoy using him

one of the buffs was just so that a move that could only be block punished by gigas can no longer do so but otherwise the move is pretty much the exact same. that's what their battle log data told them they should do.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 24, 2020

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Brosnan posted:

maybe Tekken really isn't the game for you.
at this rate a lot of people are going to think this. a new patch drops and lowhigh turns the game off to play sf5 instead.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Allegedly the throw break window got reduced from 20f to 15f.

https://twitter.com/zen_leaf/status/1242833007540658176

it's just fuckuman, because having soul calibur guard breaks wasn't enough to make sure you spend money on this character to lab him

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

its unfortunate that games as a service has completely poisoned the well of fighting games, meaning the chances of getting the wiiu version of tag 2 ported to a relevant platform is near 0 because it could potentially cannibalize sales of dlc season passes. I feel like a lot of the pressure and drama building up over the past little while would disolve if people could just play that game instead if they have issues with what the devs clearly want t7 to be.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

one of many bullshit fighting game jargon terms that don't really mean anything until they're explained but are quick and there really isn't an easier way to say it in the english language so it sticks.

a string of moves "jails" if it prevents the opponent from doing anything after they block the first hit. a string that doesn't jail means that you may be able to duck or low parry an incoming high/low, or sidestep part of the move, or throw out a parry or a power crush, meaning that what might otherwise be safe to throw out can actually be heavily punished.

for example, all of kazuyas jab strings starting from 1 make you unable to do anything except block if he does them as fast as possible, except for his 1243, which has a low hit. it's a bit of a gimmick but you can just hold low parry as soon as you see that you're blocking kazuyas 1 jab and any possible string of moves he does after this will keep you blocking (so even though you aren't holding back you'll still block, as long as your character is still in blockstun when another attack hits you don't have to manually keep blocking) but if he goes for the low hit you'll automatically low parry him and look like a genius. of course this has it's own countermeasures, but against people who love to mash these moves it's pretty funny.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

oh, I should clarify that the "you don't have to keep blocking if you're stuck in blockstun" doesn't apply if you have to change directions (to block mid/low) but I don't think there are any strings of moves that keep you in blockstun the entire time and have that kind of mixup.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I think it's cool that leroy uses the cane he carries around, unlike saheen who just has a sword because it's an Arabic sword

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

fixed unintended issue where the mishima matchup was turned into a mid/low guessing game

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I'll accept my apology now, ppl who were arguing that the hellsweep buff wasn't stupid as hell when the patch first dropped

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

leo's is a (somewhat slow to start up) high crush and it tracks. it has a bunch of flaws like awful range, not knocking down unless you input the second hit that cant be delayed at all, being slower for the attack to come out, and you can't really get any momentum off it if you aren't at the wall

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

speaking of characters who probably need tweaks, what's the solution to avoiding getting hit by invisible hits shooting out of fakhumrams rear end while he attacks forward? Just lost a game because multiple rounds involved me stepping his nonsense strings and then as I go to attack his back I get tagged as he kicks forward somehow.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

even when it came out my respone to tag 2 was largely "why is this so bad, unlike every other tekken game?" outside of a few good songs. tekken 7 being even worse doesn't really correct that. I sure miss the feature that let you replace stage music with literally any song you had on the console though, wonder if that kind of thing is just outright illegal for a modern game or they just didn't care to put that in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

tekken 6 made all the mishimas middling tier after they were "why play anyone else?" tier in the previous tekken game (5DR) and then instead the "why play anyone else" characters were bob (joked as the fourth mishima because he had most of the key mishima moves in some form but also none of the weaknesses but instead of a cool anime edgelord he was a big fat goofball) and lars (a mishima in lore but he didn't even have a wavedash, instead he did anime flips and wore a novelty door knocker on his clothes)

so all of the masku types really hated the game. is what I'm getting at. it had some pretty serious issues but tekken 6 was also the debut of characters like armor king and dragnov, a lot of really cool changes to characters happened in this game (feng's stance was actually worth doing, for example), and for some reason customization was way better and more indepth than tekken 7.