Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I really want to try picking up tekken but I play on xbox.... Is that just a bad idea? It looks like at a minimum I'd have to get a ~40 dollar fighting game xbox pad and then I'm wondering about finding opponents/lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yes it looks like poo poo and they said they’re not going to fix it. If you can get it on PS4 get it on that. I regret the Xbox one.

Seems like it's only an issue on one x? I have a normal xb1

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I got the game and it looks fine to me? I have a low standard for graphics though. This is my first fighting game in agggggges so I'm basically starting from scratch. I picked steve fox because his style seems really cool. Also legit one of my top 10 favorite games of all time was fight night champion, it is basically a near perfect sports/fighting game. The feeling of dodging and counter punching in that felt great so I figured why not try to learn the guy who can do it in tekken? hosed around in practice for a bit, mainly focusing on movement weaves and dodges and a few simple combos. I am 1-0 in ranked and it feels great lol. I need to start learning launchers and some good air combos right away also I have 0 idea how to do rage art(? the finishing move thing). The first guy I played had some nice juggling combos down and rage art, I just pressured him like crazy and dodge punished him to a cheap win. I think I'll have to get a hori commander if I stick with the game though, the xbox pad is not made for this.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 5, 2019

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm up to 3rd dan now and the game is starting to click. Also holy poo poo this might be the saltiest player base. I'm getting insane amounts of hatemail lol its great.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I've had the game for like 5 days and I've already had about 10 hate mail messages. I love when people expose themselves as trash in their own message. I've had two complaints about low strike spam with Steve lol.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

In my limited time playing Bryans have been the biggest assholes

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm at initiate and about ~35 wins (and who knows how many losses ) and I've played 0 steves which is weird to me. I like it though the less the match up is known the better off I am. So far I hate Marduk and Kings because im too lazy right now to learn grappling defense and I hate characters who rely on big launch combos because I play really aggressive.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

A lot of low-level Kings (if they use chainthrows at all) will go straight for RDC because it's huge damage, so if you're too lazy to learn anything to learn about chainthrows just mash 2 if they hit you with the arm breaker to break RDC. It's also a good idea to learn how to beat stagger kicks (which is after you get hit by the first one, block the second, then low parry the third) because it's also a common low-level King technique but is pretty easy to beat once you know it.

Yea I was getting crapped on by the kicks and then I watched a video on it so it's fine now. I just can't be assed to learn the grapple system right now when basically only two characters at my level have players that utilize it frequently.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Tekken is so cool man. It's crazy how relatively niche it is. I'm up to Mentor with Steve now after a week! The rematch feature is great and I can't believe a lot of other games don't have it (at least that's what I read. I think SF lacks it). Having long sets going back and forth is really cool. I had an ~8 rd set with a yoshi where I started off hot got wrecked and then capped it off with two wins in a row when I figured out his range (had to quit to sleep). The hori commander is bare bones and cheap (~$35) but its way better than the xbox pad, especially for two button imputs.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 15, 2019

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Tekken- where a three bar Law trash talks you for no reason and then tries to sell you pills

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea I absolutely love hatemail. That was just so bizarre I had to share it.

Anime_Otaku posted:

This right here is why I don’t play much online unless it’s with a group, and I never bother with online parts of fighting games.

Do you mean you only play against cpu or you play with people offline? Only playing the cpu sounds awful. Also I'm pretty sure theres a setting to disable all messaging if you're that bothered by people calling you spammy trash or whatever.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

In my case xbox. Xbox has a show recent players feature and you can find who you played chronologically there. Recent players -> hatemail is ingrained xbox culture from the MW2 days.

I'm at GM with steve and I'm super nervous trying to go for greens. I set a goal of hitting green in like two months and it's been about 3 weeks. I know the key to ranked is not caring but that was my one goal. To reach scrub rank.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

inthesto posted:

You can be stupid as poo poo and hit greens.

As long as you can do a BNB Steve combo and press b1, you shouldn't have any trouble.

I mean this is my first fg ever not just my first tekken so I'm happy about it...

Anyways I got the s2 pass 90% for Negan (not a WD fan but the character looks cool and the backlash was funny). I'm really glad I did because Lei is so drat fun to use. When I'm getting a little burnt out on tryharding I pick up Lei and don't care if I win or lose. Apparently he's getting buffed soon too which is nice.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

As someone said earlier people are either really wack or really cool. I've already added two friends to spar with, both a bit above my level but willing to play a lot of player matches and teach me stuff. Either way its cool. The hate mail is fun and there are a lot of people who want to help.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Negan dlc dropping tonight. Hype

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Negan is really fun to use. I think some of his moves might be overtuned though.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 1, 2019

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I hit greens in under a month with steve. It was fun as hell and I'm happy with myself as it's my first fg. Also I did it without any real combos (that's on me) and losing quite a few ranks due to drinking beers and playing ranked. Tekken is mad fun. Those promotion matches were super stressful. Steve is really cool but his combos are unfortunately quite hard. I'm gonna stick with him the rest of the game as my main main but I'm gonna start trying to actually get good with Negan for a bit. His combos are way less demanding and he's real fun to play.

I tried out Marduk recently because I wanted to use a grappler for awhile to better get down my instinct for throws + the character looks cool. Holy poo poo I'm getting trashed while playing him. Like I win ranked matches and player matches at a decent rate no problem with Lei and Negan despite barely practicing with them, but Marduk gets annhilated. His range is poo poo and it feels like he gets hit by stuff others don't. I might give up and trying to learn him and just get down Negan for awhile.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Brosnan posted:

I will Marduk you if you want

I know hes a solid character, he just feels really hard to use comparatively. Are you on xbox?..... I'm assuming no

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 9, 2019

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Kikkoman posted:

Congrats on getting to greens! My Paul is on the cusp, stopped playing today at Grand Master. I signed up for my first local (CEC in Toronto next Saturday). I know I won't be winning anything but I'm looking forward to the competition.

That's cool. Hopefully I'll hit a local soon. I don't know your playstyle but a lot of green and blue pauls I see chase the deathfist all game and its really predictable. I think getting in peoples face first sets up the deathfist later. I'm not a paul player but this is what I've noticed playing against him.

Anyways I got up to expert with negan, about to hit GM. He's weird there's potential but I think hes just above gigas/lars rn. Too early to say and I'm a scrub but that's what it feels like. How often does tekken patch gameplay in general? I think there a few simple things that could really help negan out (for instance apparently his b2 homing hits all male characters on ss but whiffs all females)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The one advantage of learning steve to start is that "sidestepping" is part of his moveset (his left and right sways are 3 and 4 and leads to counter hits, stance transitions and they crush highs etc.) so I've been doing it from the start. I think it's like a lot of things as a beginner, there are two ways to go about it- spending a lot of time in the lab and watching a lot of videos or just watching a concept video and trying to add it to your game online and sees what works. Not that practice mode isn't good but I intuitively got a lot of game knowledge by playing and not being afraid to be owned vs just testing stuff offline.

The one annoying thing is that because tekken is so mechanically deep there isn't a universal sidestep choice. This guide is a good rough estimate that I used a lot
https://tekkengamer.com/2017/06/14/heres-direction-sidestep-characters-tekken-7-pdf-download-also-availa

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 16, 2019

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I got Negan to greens last night! He's def lowish-tier but hes very fun to play. His F 1+2 armored launcher is probably my favorite tool of his as it's an excellent check against aggressive players. Some general thoughts- all of negans moves that seem real amazing get nullified a lot even at low greens when people have good game sense. Like his b2+2 and 2222. You gotta look into way more pokes and his plus frame moves like b1+2 to make things happen. I still love his ff4 wall bounce though. It's probably the most useable wall bounce I've tried yet and I've won sets just off hitting that into a bounce. I'm gonna look at some actual videos on him now though beyond the basics. Also after never using a real combo with steve it's fun to land actual combos consistently with negan (his are way less demanding).

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm having this problem where after I hit green I just want to start a new character and try and learn them. I know that will probably degrade my skills with my other characters but.... I kinda wanna try Geese now.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

Same but I'm at the point where I'm pushing yellow and I don't know if any other character will give me quite the same joy as Armor King does. He feels like the total package.

Plus I did a 104 damage floor break combo the other day and it was amazing.

The characters are so unique in T7 that I want to learn like 25% of the cast. I really like steve but sometimes I want to mix it up and maybe find a character I'll like more. I kinda hate the characters that have projectiles but Geese just seems really badass and less cheesy than Akuma.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

AFashionableHat posted:

Negan is infuriating when playing online. A lot of moves come out real fast and the animations are extremely samey, especially given that he wears dark clothes by default and blends in too much with darker stages. When playing in-person I can sight-read a lot of his bullshit but when playing online there's just not enough reaction time.

I've been maining him now, steadily climbing ranked... uh Negan is a lower tier character and his strings that get big damage are very easy to block even if you get hit by the first part. The only thing/s that come out fast are his jab/jab strings. That's about it. Don't get hit by the second hit of b+2 2, don't get hit by the second part of 2222, and don't get hit by the bat swing after the uppercut in b+1 2. His big dmg stuff gets shut down very quick against avg players and then you have to finish strings very sparingly, do stuff on plus frames or just start moving to his good CH game and launch baiting. The point I guess I'm trying to make is his offense isn't very fast (at least the parts that do big dmg) and to me they look pretty different. Obviously I'm a bit biased.

Anyways the cool tech for him is to use his push after a plus frame move. A lot of players will try to jab out of + frames and his push counterhits leaving you at +55 frames or something crazy. It's a really fun set up.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 26, 2019

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

What are everyones favorite stages? I think its a shame that there aren't more as it doesn't seem that hard of a thing to develop and they are so key to the game. Also It's weird how most stages are 0 breaks 1 break or like 4, and the fact that only one stage has floor breaks. I feel like the missed an opportunity in not adding adding like at least two more stages with 1 or more floor breaks. Anyways my top three are-

1- G corp Helipad night- It's the coolest stage geometry wise imo. It's got an odd shape, its close quarters and it has two wall breaks that are actually very prominent. With the music/promiximity/walls its the most intense stage to fight on imo.

2- Howard Estate - This stage is simply the coolest looking by far. It also has awesome music. Most t7 music is pretty bad imo but this reminds me of an oldschool street fighter stage with the sound and music in a good way.

3- Devils pit - I like the chill music and the transition from walled to walless stage dynamic for the final rounds.

Anyways its a bummer- T7 absolutely nails the gameplay and characters but I feel they're dropping the ball on easy content. Adding costumes and charging a couple bucks for it and then using some of that money to provide free stages to the community to keep things fresh seems like a win win to keep people interested.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

lol. Going for a promo vs a good player on that map is the most stressful poo poo.

Speaking of promos, I'm super happy about this.

Downed bitchass mishima in the background

I had to fight two different/really good eddys and negans lows are not good- also some legit wavedashing Mishimas. I'm way ahead of where I thought I'd be in just under two months. Tekken is a very rewarding game. I planned on being in the Green grinder for quite awhile but it looks like I'll be in the Yellow grinder instead!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

His DB4 is real nice, plus on hit, very few characters can launch it on block.

FC df+2 as well

fc df 2 is good? I wish there was like a legit negan advanced tutorial out there, because hes so new they're all "TOP 15 MOVES!" and it's just established players mumbling "this is his 15 frame punish" etc etc. Some of the "top 15" aren't top 15 because every youtuber rushed over eachother to put out videos first. I wish there was somehting like blastedsalamis longform guides/or even his 20 min ones.

Jack Trades posted:

Lei has easily become among one of my favorite characters in all fighting games.

He's SO fun to play.

Yea Lei is super fun and I even dabbled with the idea of maining him but he has problems. Mainly his core tools are just ok/weak and you have to work a lot to get damage and really be on your game all match. That wouldn't be that big of an ask except for the fact his move list is ridiculous. I know a bunch is fluff but you do want to be aware of all the stances and what they do and transitions to get to them and it's a whole loving lot to take in. He's kinda of like eddy but with 8 times the options to choose from

Just take a look at this spreadsheet lol
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bW2OaFZmDBhHtX3uqK2vRJu0AfTEBMFqgV30Tg61Te8/edit#gid=1835380816

Anyways I'm going to stay with Negan for awhile more but man there are so many fun characters in this game I'm always wanting to pick up a new one and hit ranked. I thought about using geese and while I've got like ~25 wins in player matches I am a huge fraud with him. I still don't really get the max meter apart from special moves at 3 and I haven't bothered to learn because QC movements are my weakness (this is whats really stopping me from giving him a real run). Even though I hate playing against it, and wouldn't want a cast full of the options, I do like the unique spacing that 2d characters provide with projectiles. You can lay traps with them even if they aren't hitting, it's super fun.

I'm trying to think who I wanna pick up next. I hosed around with Asuka in training mode and holy poo poo- her tool set is crazy and the execution is easy. Part of me wants to try Marduk again because he's the character I failed with the hardest that I tried to take online in player matches. Another darker part wants to try and learn eddy because he is annoying as gently caress but somehow I respect his playstyle. Miguel, kuma, and lars in tanahashi gear are other characters I think about using but probably won't touch. Lars is too sad and bear hitboxes would probably drive me crazy.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

http://rbnorway.org/negan-t7-frames/ will be handy if you've not seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8MxO_WFiBA is a good, if long tutorial that wasn't rushed

A plus on block, only launch punishable by 2-3 characters low, high crushing low is always gonna be a good tool.

The Negan discord is a better resource than me, but I'll say that b+1+2, and 2+3 are really useful in my experience. His big problems (imo) are bad tracking, and lackluster counterhit tools

Thanks! I know most of Negan's + on block attacks and mix them in liberally, I just need to dive into frames a bit more in general. I actually think the game does a good job of letting you know via impact and graphics which frames are plus from the opponent and which frames are plus for you (and alternatively negative frames). I learned a lot just from "feel" I guess you could say. When you say the 2+3 is good do you mean after + frame move or by itself? I've only used it with a plus frame move (on block) preceding.

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, Lei definitely requires quite a lot of work and creativity, since he has no mid-range tools and his frame data generally sucks rear end, but if you do put in the work then you're gonna be dancing around your opponent like an rear end in a top hat butterfly putting them into constant mixups.
It's great. :allears:

I did some player matches with Lei last night cause of this post and after a few matches all I could think was "gently caress I want to learn this guy again now". Man I was just trying poo poo midmatch and he's so fun. Backflipping out of back turned, headbutting people, regaining health from a stance.... I think I might make an effort to get good enough with him to be an ok fun backup (actually learn a combo) but again, seems ridiculous to main.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 4, 2019

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I think I'm gonna use shaheen for awhile to get some fundamental tekken stuff down. Neither character i've mained so far has had an actual hopkick or magic 4 and I'm still not too solid on what those do (I have a vague idea). Also his slide mixup will be easy to abuse in green ranks where I'd start with him and that'll also get me better at fighting from p2 side.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

uninverted posted:

Basics usage is that hopkicks are good when you think the opponent will either duck or do a low. They lead to a full combo but they're usually only -12 or -13, so you don't get launched yourself if you're wrong. You usually use a magic 4 if you're at plus frames (even a small amount like +2), so if the opponent does any attack (besides a high crush) they'll get launched.

Yea I've got the concept down, but Steve and negan don't really have those tools so I wanna put it to use in game. I think real magic 4s are supposed to launch on ch and negans 4 is like 13 frames and does nothing, Shaheens is 11 and chs.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

In Training posted:

I would suggest Julia bc she has a good magic 4 and a OS hopkick that will always be safe enjoy

I hate her and think she is a cheap trash character lol. I hope she gets nerfed soon.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Got Jack to green lady night with very little effort. That boy has got to be the most simple character in the game.

Nice. The best characters to play in lower levels are ones that are high tier but no one uses because they are boring/weird (jack shaheen akuma). You get the advantage of the player not having match up knowledge while also using a good character. Jack is just too wack for me to use but keep at it if you like him. Speaking of, I wanted to like shaheen, but I had to pull the plug on that early. He's so boring. He is the saltine cracker of tekken. The most basic (but good) moveset in the cast and no flair moves, no interesting stances, nothing special. Legacy characters with basic archetypes are still fun because they have so many options, basic and new characters are just so plain. I said gently caress it and messed around with Eddy and hopped on ranked and whipped twice as much rear end despite Eddy being "worse". Even though Eddy is a bit difficult to use his transitions and movements have a logical flow and to them. I did much better than I expected. I might just join the darkside and make eddy my comain with negan. Eddys mixups are crazy.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I picked up Kazumi as a replacement for my fundamentals beginner character to mess around with. She's way more fun and intuitive imo. Also the character design is cooler. The other good thing is you can wr2 and df1 your way to victory at the start. This game has too many characters to try out. I'm still maining negan, I have plans to make steve my main main again tho, but I'm also toying with the idea of maining eddy. It's weird I hate learning combos, it feels like homework to me, but I don't have much problem going into training with a new character while watching a ~10 minute vid and coming out with a decent enough gameplan to survive in greens. I figured that would be more frustrating and hard than combos but I'm just averse to learning them. It's the main thing stopping me from progressing further with certain characters- when I feel they aren't fun enough to learn the combos. Also coming from Negan to Eddy combos was an eye opener. Negans input window is wayyyyy more lenient than eddys.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Oh man that TWT event in France was awesome. Super Akouma's run was so cool. He played so aggressively that it was really fun too watch.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlacidEnticingTapirRalpherZ

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Kazumi is real fun to play casually. Not that I ever try to flowchart but you can turn your brain a lot off more than with steve lets say. Also faking people out with tigers never gets old.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Holy poo poo, Julia must be the most infuriating Tekken 7 character to play against.

I've maintained the shes really op since shes come out. I think you would see her have a super high pick rate if she wasnt season 2 dlc. As it is she still has a high pickrate. In my ongoing character crisis I now have begun dabbling with miguel a little bit. I'm going to maintain kazumi and negan is my main mains but he seems fun as well. I don't know how top players can juggle so many characters though. Even going back from kazumi to negan and vice versa there are holes in my game that linger until I've played about 10 matches. You just forget certain moves/set ups for a bit til they come back to you.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Geese got nerfed but based on seeing chikurin play the other day it doesnt seem to matter. I've been trying marduk again, I suck in neutral with him, everything is slow. I'm getting wins but tbh I feel bad abusing his tackle.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Airspace posted:

I just picked up Tekken 7 to try and learn and, uh...

Is there a way to select or remove certain videos that play during the main menu? Or pick and choose my favorite one so I can just watch that for the few moments I'm in the menu?

What....? why? Your in the menu for like 1 second anyways so it doesn't really matter.

Jack Trades posted:

Lei continues to be awesome and one of my favorite characters to play in any fighting game.

Wish I had the patience.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Can anyone else just not settle on a character like me? I've been doing this thing for awhile now where Ill take a character and get them from teals to mid yellows then pick up a new one. I'll drop a character real quick if I dont like them but I've now done that with steve, marduk, kazumi and negan. Now I'm looking at Dragunov and Asuka. Idk I think its sorta normal cause its my first game and I'm really new to tekken but the character ADD is a bit annoying because I feel like it's stopping me from getting really deep with a character/learning better fundamentals.

The characters I've put legit time into online thus far are steve, marduk, kazumi, negan, geese, shaheen, eddy, lei, and miguel.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Whalley posted:

I mean, I'm the same way (although Gigas is my favorite) - but I don't think it's a problem? I mean, it is if your goal is "become number one tekken god ranking and take the game Very Seriously" but I'm like, whyyyy ruin the game for myself in the way I did Tekken Tag in arcades by tryna do that.

I have fun when I'm learning and improving, switching characters a bunch slows that down. Also the deeper you get with a character you get the more creative you can be which imo is when tekken is at it's most fun.

Brosnan posted:

Also the best way to learn to fight characters in Tekken is to play as them and figure out what they do, so in a lot of ways it's really helpful to switch around a lot.

Yea its definitely helped me with that and in other ways as well. My general tekken sense has increased a lot and I'm able to feel out a lot of attack and defense instinctively with new chars because I've got a better grip on many of the universal systems. If being yellow rank knee is my t7 calling its not so bad since it's my first fg though I'd like to get real good with at least one char.

Skjorte posted:

I have the opposite problem. I just jumped back into Tekken after dropping it a few months after release because matchmaking was mind-blowingly slow. It still is, but the fighting is fun enough to live with the wait. Anyway, I played through Mortal Kombat 9-11 this year and figured if I could have fun trying a million new characters there, I'd get back into Tekken and try to do the same. Now I've played like 200 matches in 10 days (also, either I became twice as good at Tekken after leaving the game stuck at Warrior, or the rankings are way more spread out now) and almost all of them were with Ling Xiaoyu, which is the only character I feel like I have an answer to every situation with. My secondary characters are Jack and Panda, since every other smaller character seems really immobile compared to Xiaoyu, but I'm pretty bad with them and really need to find a new character to dive into.

A lot of small characters are mobile but I guess you mean evasive? (many small chars have really good side and back steps). Feng is really evasive and cool though not small.

I actually started playing Raven yesterday and she's really cool. Ticking a lot of boxes I like, low pick rate (I like using lesser used characters), evasive, very unique moves, good damage, good wall carry, and her combos are forgiving. You can really gently caress around with average to decent players entire gameplan and leave them guessing with just her basic stances alone.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 3, 2019