Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
JOIN THE FIGHTING GAMES DISCORD TO FIND MATCHES WITH GOONS WHO SUCK AS BAD AS YOU DO!

Hey so after approximately 47 years in development, Tekken 7 is finally coming out and this thread is about that! Shoutouts to LunaWasHere and other goons for helping out. Play Tekken it's a good game.

:siren::siren:Trying to learn Tekken? Watch these videos, they will help connect a lot of the dots for you!:siren::siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEJ8PJXoaM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF7LA-sS3h4

Also check out the Official Basic Mechanics Guide and the Top Moves List for each character

TEKKEN 7 RELEASE INFO

Release date: June 2, 2017
Platforms: Steam, PlayStation 4, Xbox One

The home releases of Tekken games historically have incredibly robust features, including a lengthy story mode, lots of cosmetic customization, and special fun bonus modes. Even if you're not the super competitive type, this game will keep you busy for a while! The netcode in the previous Tekken game was also incredibly good, and there's every expectation that T7's will be excellent as well. Also, for the first time, Tekken is coming to PC, so pick it up on Steam and you will have lots of goons to play with.

If Street Fighter V's release left a bad taste in your mouth, get Tekken 7 to see what a good fighting game release is supposed to look like. You can even be Akuma because Akuma is in this game!

Pre-Order the game and get early access to Eliza aka Narcoleptic Titty Vampire*

The Digital Deluxe Edition comes with the season pass, meaning you get both of the DLC guest characters (when they release), a "Unique Game Mode" and additional costumes for you to play dress-up with. Speaking of DLC characters, those have been pretty controversial for fighting games to have. What's the plan with them in Tekken? For one, they will not be releasing any Classic Tekken characters as Paid DLC. For two, they have two characters lined up, both from non-Tekken franchises similar to how Akuma from Street Fighter is in here. Season Pass info, along with very broad dating on the DLC characters can be found here.

*not actually her official title absolutely 100% her official title

Since its inception in 1994, Tekken has grown to become the #1-selling fighting game series in the world. It does this by being as fun for college bros to mash in as it is for frame-counting nerdos to obsess over, but since you're in a SomethingAwful fighting game thread, you can pretty much guess which group you're gonna be dealing with here.

Honestly, Tekken can be an incredibly fun game, but it's also obtuse and hard to learn and doesn't give a poo poo if that makes you feel bad. But with Tekken 7's arrival, lots of series newcomers will be trying to pick up the game, so if you've never given it a serious shot before, this is the time to get in on it!

The core gameplay from Tekken Tag 2 (sans tagging) is largely intact, but with a few major new additions:
  • Rage Arts - Think Ultras from Street Fighter 4. When your HP gets low enough for you to enter Rage, you can sacrifice the general damage boost you'll get to instead go for a big super. Most of them are unsafe, but many can be comboed into, giving you the chance for some clutch turnarounds.
  • Rage Drives - If Rage Arts are Ultras, Rage Drives are like EX moves. Again, you spend your Rage to do one, but these can be situationally really good moves (like a safe low that launches on hit, or moves that enable combo extensions that wouldn't otherwise work).
  • Power Crush - Each character now has at least one move with baked-in armor, allowing you to blow through your opponent's pressure if their pokes become too predictable. You still take the full damage for any armored hits you take, but landing the hit anyway can really help you reverse the momentum of a round. (Particularly helpful for newer players who wouldn't otherwise know how to escape pressure.)
  • Bound Screw Attacks - T7's version of bound moves, i.e. moves that play a core part in letting you extend your bnb juggles. Indicated by S! in combo notation.
  • Unreal Engine - Tekken 7 might just be the prettiest fighting game out there right now, thanks to being moved over to the latest Unreal Engine.
  • Slow Mo - This isn't really a "mechanic" per se but it's loving hype as poo poo.
    http://i.imgur.com/TdncNLU.mp4

Character Specifics: Tekken Zaibatsu Forums

Tekken Zaibatsu is the heart of the online Tekken community, and some good players post here. That doesn't mean it's any less terrible than most other online communities, however, so don't stray too far outside your character's movelist or strategy forum.

TZ's best info can be found in two places: the site itself has a glossary of terms, explanation of mechanics, and specific character movelists that are maintained by the owner. This means that sometimes hard data is only posted or maintained when he gets around to it, and sometimes he doesn't get around to it for a while. Still, it's a good first stop for that stuff.

The other resource here is the TZ forums themselves. Head to the forum for the character you're trying to learn, and look toward the top of the thread list for juggle indices, punishment guides, frame data, and so on. The only issue here is that it can be a bit of a crapshoot: some characters might happen to have players who go to the trouble of making an organized, informative thread; others don't. If yours doesn't, you may have to do a little more digging to get good info, and it may be worth checking secondary sites (like the shoryuken forums) as well.

And if you don't like reading, there's always...

Tekken is a fast game, so seeing how stuff works can be an easier way to learn mechanics than reading about them. Level Up Your Game was asked by Namco themselves to produce a set of tutorial videos for Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and a lot of the info is still relevant for T7.

Video 1 - The Basics: Notation, Blocking, Hit Ranges, Basic Movement, Differences From Other Fighting Games, Full Crouch/While Standing, Counter-Hits, Basic Mixups/Mind Games (applying lows/mids/highs/throws), Intermediate Mind Games (low parries, stepping moves, crushes), Advanced Mind Games (baiting whiffs, okizeme/wakeup game), Tag Basics
Video 2 - Intermediate Part 1: Zoning in 3D, Throw System, Advanced Movement (backdash canceling, wavedashing, snake dashing, etc.)
Video 3 - Intermediate Part 2: How to Get Up, Running Attacks, Reversal System, Tag Crash
Video 4 - Combos: Tag Assaults, Rage, Red Life Management, Auto Tag Assault Fillters, Universal Tag Assault Bounds, Combo Building

Aris is a fat disgusting sexist racist homophobic piece of poo poo. But he has posted helpful videos about sort of a random array of Tekken mechanic esoterica. You can look at his YouTube channel to see if any of the concepts sound useful.

Tekken's move notation system is a bit different from other games, at least in English. It doesn't use the typical anime numpad style (66P 236K, etc.), nor the jumping/standing/crouching-state notation typical of Street Fighter (e.g. j.HK, c.MP, c.MP xx qcf+P). Instead, Tekken assigns numbers to each of the attack buttons, and uses abbreviated directions to attach to them where needed, while also adopting some of the more common abbreviations for motions (like qcf/hcf).

Below is the full guide to Tekken's (Western) notation system, as printed in the legend on Tekken Zaibatsu. If something is unclear or you see some character-specific notation that you're not sure you understand, you can see the move lists on TZ for more info, or ask in the thread. And, should you ever happen to find yourself looking at moves/frame data on a Korean or Japanese site, note that they use anime notation instead (but they also do other stupid poo poo like referring to moves by their actual names, so who cares what they think).

Also, note that spacing and punctuation imply timing when writing out strings or juggles in Tekken. In descending order of speed:
  • 3~4 (Quickly slide across buttons 3 and 4)
  • 3,4 (Press 3 and 4 in direct succession)
  • 3, 4 (Press 3, slight pause, then 4)
  • 3>4 (Press 3; 4 can be delayed for some length of time)
If you see something like: 1,2,3, b+2,4, it's likely that b+2,4 is a separate string from 1,2,3, based simply on the pause between the two that the space suggests.

:siren: Click this Google Doc! :siren:

Tekken games in the past have had a very diverse cast of characters, and 7 is no different. Most have very distinct playstyles, and there isn't necessarily a "Ryu" of Tekken. Fortunately, the very helpful doc above contains info on every character in Tekken 7 (barring Eliza, Kuma, Panda and Eddy as they are not currently available in Arcades, which is where this info is pulled from), and gives you a rough sense of what they do and how hard they are to use.

A lot of the info below is going to be info that will be semi-neccessary to learn, but all of this can be a lot to take on when you just wanna fightmans. Look at this later when you want so you don't overwhelm yourself.

First things first: Frame Data. Everyone loves Frame Data. This is "accurate" in that it was measured by people analyzing video's of moves since we don't have access to ingame frame data just yet. This will be updated on Tekken 7's full release.

Now you've finally chosen a character to start with, and you're ready to dive in and see what they can do. Before you start mashing your face on the buttons, there's an extremely important part of Tekken that I can't stress enough: learning to move properly.

Many people whose experience with Tekken is limited complain that they feel like they're stuck in molasses when they move (or, if they've seen higher level play, that everyone is having a seizure all the time). It's true that the way people move around might look a little weird initially, but they're doing it for a reason: baiting your opponent into making a mistake while also maintaining your ability to defend is paramount, and you really can't do so effectively without using things like sidestep cancels or crouch dashes.

Pay special attention to the emphasis a lot of tutorials put on movement. It is supremely important in Tekken, and it's something that you'll continue to master the entire time you play.

:siren: Open-source doc with each character's most important moves here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14QszwNxYv5VpTq2BY9jAN972SeZRbbw-oqj2dONWINI/edit :siren:

Once you've picked a character (or when you're trying to figure out what a new one does), here's your checklist of stuff to start figuring out:

1. Run through the character's move list completely at least once or twice. The purpose here isn't to memorize every move, but to give you a loose sense of what the character does, what their attacks look like, what some of their more interesting properties are, etc.

2. Pokes and Pressure. See list linked above. What moves do they have that are fast, safe, and useful? What tools can you use to keep your opponent blocking or to interrupt his/her pressure without putting yourself at risk? Look for things like jab strings, quick mid or special mid hits, safe lows, moves that track sidesteppers, or anything fast and safe that has good range and isn't easily ducked or punished on block.

3. Punishment. Really important. Find a TZ thread for your character that talks about punishes and/or check out the list linked above. A punishment guide could look something like this, using Paul from TTT2 as an example:

10f: 1,2(22 dmg, +7)_1,2,3(30 dmg; should be used only if it kills them)
12f: b+1,2(40 dmg, +4, forces opponent into crouch)_d+1+2(36 dmg, KND_W!)
14f: b+3(launch, works only at close range)
15f: d/f+2_u/f+4_u/f+3,4_u/f+3(all 4 launch)_qcf+2(57 dmg clean/38 dmg far, KND_W!)
16f: f,f+2:1(44 dmg, KND_W!)
19f: qcf+1(launch)
23f: u/f,N+4(launch)

Listed on the left are the number of startup frames for each move on the right (for a refresher on how frames and frame data work, see the Fighting Game Thread). Jabs in Tekken usually have 10 frames of startup, so generally anything that's -10 or better on block is safe (but NOT on whiff, mind you).

Looking past the 10 frame level, Paul has lots of excellent options: note that he gets very solid damage at only the +12f mark, and depending on which punish is used, you either force a crouch, or get a full knockdown (or even better, a wall splat, if you're near a wall). At +14, you can use b+3 as a punish and get a bunch of extra damage via juggle followup.

Now, realistically, are you going to know in the middle of a fight that your opponent's move X is -11 on block while their move Y is -13? Probably not. But you might start by trying to punish move X with jabs, and hey, you find out it works every time. And it seems like the recovery on move Y is actually slightly longer, so maybe d+1+2 or even b+3 would work in the right situation. You try d+1+2 and it definitely works, but when you try punishing with b+3, it always gets blocked. Clearly move Y is punishable by d+1+2, but not b+3. This learning process takes place over and over across hundreds of fights, so it's another case of "don't worry about memorizing a bunch of poo poo at once; just pay attention to what's happening and you'll pick it up over time."

4. Juggles. The Tekkenest part of Tekken. Learn your bnbs well enough that you can do them on reaction the vast majority of the time. You want this not only because it's obviously a good idea to be able to stick your damage consistently, but also because of the nature of Tekken's stages and the unpredictable situations in which you might get a launch. Don't get too caught up in trying to do the absolute most damage you can find with your juggles. When a Tekken juggle is hard, it's loving hard, and it's much much better to complete a 40%-life juggle 9/10 times than a 45%-life juggle 3/10 times.

5. Mixups, Oki, Setups, etc. Start thinking bigger. So you've found a cool 3-hit string that ends in a low knockdown and allows for a small juggle follow-up when it hits. So what happens when your opponent has seen that string before? Is there some variant on it you can do to keep them guessing? Is the string safe if you stop after 2 blocked hits, but totally punishable if you do all 3? Could you, say, do the first two hits to bait a reaction, then backdash to avoid it and punish with a mid launch?

At its core, this is what Tekken is really about : based on the options I have and what my opponent is expecting, how can I completely shut him down by seeming to be one step ahead of him at all times? Naturally, this is where the human element comes in, and it's not something you can really learn in Training Mode. I recommend reading about your character online for ideas, but ultimately, just play the game. The more experience you get, the more you learn what other players and characters do, the better you'll get at this, and you may even come up with some tricky poo poo that no one else has really done before.

Q. I'm new to Tekken. Is Tekken 7 a good time to jump in?
A. Yes, absolutely. There are a few mechanics new to T7 that make it more digestible than previous entries, and lots of other new players are going to be picking it up, so you'll be in good company.

Q. Is the netcode any good?
A. YES. Tekken Tag 2 had probably the best non-GGPO online experience in a fighting game thus far. It made basically all other FG netcode look bad.

Q. What system will goons be playing on?
A. Lots of us will be getting it on PC, but no doubt there will be lots on PS4 as well. Don't play fighting games on Xbox though you dork.

Q. Is there cross-platform play?
A. Unfortunately not. Harada has talked about this and would like to do it, but because the game is on Xbox and Playstation (as well as PC), it's not feasible due to incompatibilities in their respective infrastructures.

Q. What's the best place to find matches with goons?
A. #fighting-games on Goonsgarden Discord - You don't even have to register an account or download a client!

Q. Do I need an arcade stick to get good at Tekken?
A. Nope! Actually there are tons of high level players who use regular ol' controllers. Holding a Dual Shock in "claw grip" works perfectly well for Tekken. (I.e., your left hand holds the D-pad side of the controller normally, but instead of gripping the right side the same way, you rest the controller on your lap and hit the face buttons with your fingers. Tekken only has 4 attack buttons, so you don't need R1/R2 access!)

Q. What does the game content look like if I'm not really a competitive fighting game player? Is there other stuff to do?
A. The biggest reason Tekken 7 has taken so long to come out is to ensure a robust Story Mode, tons of unlockable content (like custom outfits for your fightmans), goofy bonus modes, etc. There will be a couple of guest characters sold down the road as DLC, but you can expect a very complete cast (/game) from day 1.

Q. What's a good character for noobs?
A. Check out this character guide for full details, but to narrow it down a bit, take a look at these characters:

[Left to right:]
Akuma (for you SF nerds trying to break in who are too lazy to actually learn the game)
Asuka (defense-oriented waifu)
Jack-7 (rock-solid fundamentals in a Terminator robot body)
Josie Rizal (lots of short strings that give you canned mixup options)
Katarina (high risk/reward, with easy execution)
Kazumi Mishima (small movelist, throws tigers at people)
Leo (androgynous kungfu person who's also top tier)
Lili (does many flip kicks which hurt; wears creepy outfits)
Miguel (fights with the renowned martial art of "drunk guy at a bar")
Paul (super good standing punishment and simple mixups; /!\LORD OF DEATHFISTS/!\)
Shaheen (straightforward character with little execution required)

Again, feel free to ask questions in this thread if you're just getting into the game.

:pcgaming:NOW LET'S PARTY!:pcgaming:
[thx jmcrofts for the gifs]

http://i.imgur.com/mjzKRJO.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/rbQWuv5.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/1PHmbo8.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/CGovXYn.mp4

Brosnan fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Zand posted:

soul calibur is a far superior game since battling with weapons is much more interesting, but i'm looking forward to giving this one a try.

Plz do not troll me in my own thread!!

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Deathfist my rear end, Paul Phoenix.

I say this to every guy I sleep with.

The day a man responds "oooOOAAAAAGH!" is the day I've found my partner for life.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Big Scary Owl posted:

I never played Tekken for real, but I liked playing Panda in TTT2 even though it was just a few fights against friends. Panda is gonna be top tier and you know it.

No but for real though, if I want to play Kuma/Panda what should I know?

I think if you're planning to play Kuma then you're probably not planning to take the game very seriously so it mostly doesn't matter. That said, I play Kuma as kind of a secondary dickaround character and he basically works really well against people who haven't played enough to know how to fight Kuma, and then he immediately becomes terrible when they figure it out. Fortunately some people never figure it out!

Poke with d/b+2 and G-clef confirms, use mixups from HBS to keep people off balance and guessing, and make sure you try to fart on people now and then because if you land it you'll be a legend.

(Newbie translation guide:)

- d/b+2 is a quick low poke with good range that you should annoy people with so they'll be obligated to try to block low more, which lets you do your stronger mids and get them to actually hit.
- "G-clef Cannon" is f+1,1,1 -- it's a 3-hit string that starts with a really fast poke, and if that poke is a counterhit, the rest of the string is a natural combo that launches. This means you can use f+1 as a quick poke, but you can also hitconfirm it into good damage by doing the rest of the string.
- "HBS" is Hunting Bear Stance, which is when Kuma is on all fours like some kind of bear. He has lots of low/mid options from this stance and many of his other moves will let him transition into the stance if you input 3+4 during them. Players who aren't comfortable fighting Kuma will tend to freeze up when you're in their face with HBS and you can smack them around a lot from it for that reason.
- Fart is one of 2 one-hit-KO unblockables in the game. It's super slow and obvious and they basically have to be actively walking into you to get hit by it, but sometimes people panic and try to hit you out of it and end up getting farted on and you get to make fun of them forever.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

FunkMonkey posted:

Oh no no Bruce Irvin this time around? Back to shufflin' and jukin' with Steve I guess.

Josie Rizal is the new Bruce.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly I think Asuka is the noob favorite for some reason.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

It's been added in the appropriate place. :ssh:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

DizzyBum posted:

It's probably the titties. (unless :thejoke:?)

Nah I wasn't being snarky, a lot of new players gravitate toward Asuka and I don't think she's all that hypersexualized of a character or anything (at least, relative to some others).

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

poe meater posted:

Do any pro players play non claw pad? Just curious what kind of configs they use. I'm guessing not though cause it wouldn't be fast enough.

Probably not, 'cause there isn't really a reason to do anything else. Just using thumbs is too slow.

Lothire posted:

I'm as excited for the thread as I am the game, because it means that the game can't be delayed anymore! Now it HAS to come out.

RE Lei Wulong: there is an article about how DLC characters are going to be separated from "Returning Characters", in that returning characters are not considered purchasable DLC, but rather might be free additional content to the game. I imagine this is still in effect, unless it has somehow been debunked.

I don't think anything in his tweet very strongly implies that they will be releasing free characters. He said selling season passes would enable them to do "free updates and support" aside from the paid DLC characters, but it seems like a long shot to assume that "free updates and support" means adding entire free characters back in to the game.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Armor-Piercing posted:

I was planning on giving Asuka a shot at some point (like after unlocking some better outfits) because I like reversals and heard that's her thing, but so far I'm having a pretty good time with Dragunov in T6.

You're in luck, Drag has them too!

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

dragunov is crazy good in every tekken

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Durzel posted:

Bit of a long shot but I don't suppose if anyone knows if this will have legacy (PS3) fightstick support? Not quite ready to retire my MadCatz (RIP) SFIV TE stick.

Just play on PC with the cool kids problem solved!

(I still use a gen 1 TE-S and don't own a PS4 so yeah, that's where I'll be.)

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Lothire posted:

While Steve is more technical due to peekaboo stance and his attacks having dodge/movement elements, most of the depth I hear about the Tekken series comes from the many, many small and precise situations that arrive constantly during a game. If you're off axis by a little bit, that one combo you work your rear end off to do might not work right. Recognizing when things are going to be weird like that is where experience comes in.

If that statement is accurate, then it's safe to say the game is more about the varied situations than it is about the characters. At least, that is probably true for the kind of play we'll be seeing as we learn. Even if you're playing someone complex, you'll probably do just fine picking up a basic routine of combos and not worry/focus about how to execute all of his unique maneuvers.

I think you're half right but it's not the whole story. Yes, super specific knowledge of situations and strings is a big part of why experience matters, but generally when people say a certain character isn't good for beginners, it's for one of these reasons:

1. The character has high execution requirements that are a core part of their gameplay at higher levels (Mishimas, Nina, King, Bryan)
2. The character relies on a complex system of parlor tricks or highly situational moves that work insofar as they subvert what other characters are expected to do (Yoshi, Ling, Hwoarang, Raven, Capos, etc.)
3. The character just has kind of an overwhelming set of options that's a lot to take on as a newcomer (Hwoarang, King, maybe Steve)

If you're new to Tekken, characters from category 1 will turn the steep learning curve into a brick wall. If you're ready to just go beast mode on practice and not give up, you can still learn the game and be effective with those characters, especially if you're already pretty good at other FGs. I think Zerp more or less started with TTT2, and saw reasonable success playing Mishimas, for example.

Characters from category 2 are just more likely to have lots of goofy poo poo that will distract you from really learning the game right, and as soon as the parlor tricks don't work on someone, you'll have no idea what to do because you don't actually know which of your moves are good. Again, you can pick one of these characters, but someone who says "I've never played Tekken but I really want to be Yoshimitsu" is someone I don't think is ever going to be very good at Tekken.

Category 3 is probably the least pernicious, provided you can just focus on getting down some of the basics and be patient about building out your skillset. King has like the biggest move list in the game, but you don't have to be able to iSW to play him at low/mid level, and you don't need to memorize every chain throw or learn every move.

Jmcrofts posted:

Steve is hard right? I'm too scared to play anyone complicated

So with all the above being said, Steve doesn't have harsh execution requirements and he's not a monkey cheese character like Yoshi or Ling. He just has an unusual mechanic in that his kick buttons are dodges, but I think you can totally pick him up as a first or second character and learn to work with him.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
People used to constantly confuse me for Bronson bc motherfuckers can't read so when I was finally playing against him at the local arcade he pulled out his ID to prove to me he was actually Bronson and I scumbag won the round while he was putting it back in his wallet.

But anyway Bronson is secretly a cool guy irl who just fucks around a lot and doesn't take games super serious, but when I ran into him at Evo years later he still recognized me and we caught up for a bit. He's a good guy.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

I saw this yesterday too, I'm hoping since that's from a month ago they know about it and it won't be in the home version, even with full meter a 95% combo is probably a little much

It's OK bc most of the people who pick Akuma are going to be bad.

Trykt posted:

Gonna share some generally important lessons for newer peeps that I've learned from playing Tekken and 3D fighting games in general over the years . Some/all of this might seem super obvious but I promise each of these bullet points was a genuine fuckin' epiphany for me at some point:
  • Learn your punishes first - If you can't consistently punish unsafe moves then people WILL abuse them against you. Make sure you can at least attempt to do basic punishment, which includes knowing which moves you can actually punish with a combo instead of a single hit or string.
  • Block high, react to lows - This is kind of upside-down from 2D games. Your general goal on defense is to default to stand blocking to defend against highs and mids, and react to throws with a break input and react to lows (which are generally slowish moves) with a low block or low parry (then punish).
  • Mids are the baseline of your offense - As above, lows are generally slower/riskier, and High hitting moves generally have great properties but will always have the liability of being duckable which can lead to punishes/interrupts of varying severity. You need to threaten with mid hitting attacks very often to keep the opponent honest.
  • Strings that include highs after the first hit are mostly bad - Corollary to the previous point, but anytime you show the opponent a canned string that includes an obvious high (or low, for that matter) you're asking to get hit. There are strings that allow you to do different inputs to mix between a high or mid or even a low, or sometimes a stance change, and those are generally fine pressure tools. But if you try to use a mid-high thing as a go-to poke you're gonna get bopped.
  • Learn to convert off wall hits - Something that really intimidated me about learning TTT2 was figuring out how to alter my combos to include walls, but it turns out this is really easy. Every character will have 1 or 2 moves/strings that are basically meant to "pick up" a combo on an opponent that splats on a wall and you basically just go straight into this ASAP when the wall hit happens, then finish with a combo ender. Then it's oki as usual, that's it.

I hope that's helpful to somebody! Please ask questions if anything is unclear.

Good post, though the thing about not using strings with highs isn't really true because a lot of those strings jail (i.e. if it's a 2-hit string that's Mid-High, and I block the Mid, I can't duck the High; I'm forced to block it). Mid pokes are definitely good and important so people don't duck all the time, but I wouldn't make the blanket statement that using highs is bad.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Also the reason particular strings become the go-to for wall damage is that someone can't block if they're splatted against the wall, so strings that wouldn't normally be natural combos or work well in juggles suddenly become viable damage sources on the wall. You don't really even have to lab it if you don't want to because by now someone else has already figured out your character's optimal stuff.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mammalian posted:

my reality is more like: try to follow my heart, play the characters I like, they're almost ALWAYS either blatantly underpowered, or broken and OP. Once devs learn to balance or hire people for balancing, I'll stop checking up tier lists. I can't go through falling in love with a character then finding out they're useless, again.

I think a lot of people who worry about balance are people who won't ever come close to scraping the skill ceiling with their character of choice anyway.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

boxcarhobo posted:

does anyone have tag2 on ps3 and would like to occasionally gently caress around in it before t7 comes out? Preferably east coast but w/e ill play anyone that isnt brosnan because he isnt fun to play

Ay man gently caress you

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If the surprise game mode is Tekken Ball I'm gonna JF S Harada's D.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Story Mode is already the evolution of Tekken Force, would be kinda redundant.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
In general I think season passes are dumb so unless you're diehard (me in this case), there doesn't seem like much reason to get it until we actually know what the specific content will be.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
In retrospect it was pretty dumb that you could B! people from wallsplat in TTT2 and just do a gang beatdown in the corner, so the screw thing is probably a pretty good replacement. Also means good bnbs are also automatically decent wall carry.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Smoking Crow posted:

So...How important is frame data to Tekken

Pretty important for learning to punish, but you don't need to know the frame data for all of your moves. Just learn the best punishes for your char and start learning what they work on from there.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Prolly best to make sure that video is at the top of every page in the thread from now one.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Insofar as the whole cast has to figure out how to alter their game plan around you pressing qcf+p, they are basically exactly the same!

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Also Paul is kind of a karate(/judo) bum and they wear the same lovely frayed gi and they're simpler than their respective casts so yeah they really are kind of similar.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Veib posted:

Paul Phoenix being a judoka will never not be funny. My favorite part of judo practice was always repeatedly deathfisting people against a wall.

Judo is cool

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Random select is pretty much the tourney standard (Evo lets you pick a stage if both players agree; if not, you random). As in any tournament for any other fg, if you've won a match there is no reason for you to expect that you get to return to character select unless the other guy wants to. People don't generally whine about stages bc it's not like it's the Smash community.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, definitely Dual Shock. Xbox d-pad is really awful for fighting games.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

as pretty casual tekken player something I've never really understood is why the movelists of each character are full of canned strings that don't fully combo even on counterhit and don't have some kind of built in mixup

are these just scrub traps to look cool and not something pro players ever consider, or is there some arcane use for this stuff that my scrub eyes can't comprehend?

Juggles, walls, or they look cool.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

I'm one of those guys who always enjoyed Tekken in my friend circle, but never played online.

How hardware intensive do you recon this game will be? I have a 970 mx.

I don't really feel like buying a new controller just for this game. Will the Switch pro controller do the trick?

You should be fine. Controller requirements for Tekken are basically "has a d-pad that's better than the 360 controller; has 4 face buttons."

T7 is on the Unreal Engine, so it'll hopefully be pretty well optimized in terms of performance.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Here is a more official beginners guide that Namco put together for the game: http://tk7.tekken.com/guides

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Get them drivers ready boizzzz :flashfap:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

You're totally right, that was a good video. A lot of the guides and stuff I've found (even aimed at beginners) just lists glossaries, frame data and movelists, like he mentions in that video. Makes it hard to get started, and I think Tekken already has a steep learning curve. The rest of the "Basics of Tekken" videos look pretty good too, and basically what I've been looking for so thanks! I guess the OP wasn't wrong about his videos being helpful :v:

Yeah, I'll admit for my part that it's really hard to just teach people how neutral is supposed to work (really in any fighting game, not just Tekken). If I try to translate what I'm doing during neutral, it's a lot of jockeying for position (making sure that their back is to a wall instead of mine, moving in and out of poke range to see if anything gets baited out), mixed with throwing out pokes of my own or trying to read when they're going to try something so I can get a counterhit or block it. If it's against someone who's less likely to know how to escape pressure, I can focus less on movement and whiff baiting and more on constant mixups. That means using quick mid pokes to keep them stand blocking so I can sneak in free low hits or throw attempts, or tying them up in strings that give me good high/low options and that they won't know how to get out of.

The neutral game shifts a lot as the skill level of both players goes up, which is why people say it seems like people only use a few moves at high level; they have to play a lot safer if they think the other guy knows how to sidestep certain strings or will otherwise blow up their pressure, and it becomes much more about movement and whiff punishment instead of mixup pressure.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I should probably redo the "Quick Start" section to not just be copy-pasted from the last thread. I think the top moves list + Aris video are really helpful places to start, aside from learning a juggle or two and some punishers.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Short answer: No, never.

More specific answer: If holding back to block is causing you to noticeably back out of range, it's symptomatic of a much larger problem you are probably having with movement. Yes, it's definitely important to be able to block correctly, but because of how vital it is to always be moving (see Aris's video above), if a dude has you in deer-in-headlights mode where you're just holding back waiting for attacks to come, you're basically already hosed. Once you've blocked something, you should either be punishing it, or if it's not unsafe, using the frame advantage to reposition or apply your own pressure.

Basically if you need a rule of thumb, "I've blocked 3 different attacks without doing anything in return" means you're freezing up and need to move laterally and get more aggressive.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Most goons who play Tekken with any degree of seriousness will probably be on PC.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's a c/p you fuckin goobers.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Those videos are good so I put them at the top of the OP for new people, along with the top moves doc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Renoistic posted:

Is there any reason to buy the deluxe edition? Have they even detailed exactly what you're going to get, or are they still being vague as hell?

They have, sorta, but it's basically all the season pass content. If you're not a diehard completionist, there's no reason not to wait for the character announcements and stuff before you decide on any DLC.