Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I went about six years ago with Intrepid Travel, as it was one of the first times I'd been to a third-world country. I'd definitely recommend Intrepid, particularly if you guys are new to travelling in third-world countries but still keen on exploring, because:
- it's a small-group tour, maximum 12 people, and they're intended for people aged 25-55
- your tour leader only really does logistics and background info, leaving you free to explore the area on your own rather than being trucked around like cattle on a bus tour

Check them out: http://www.intrepidtravel.com/uk/egypt

Also: Egypt is pretty friendly and safe, despite what you may have heard. The only real problem is that street vendors are the pushiest people I've ever encountered. Just stick to "la, shukran" (no thanks) with a smile and you'll be fine :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Oh, and SMALL CHANGE. You will have to randomly pay for bathroom access, and TP if you don't bring your own.

Also useful for that baksheesh guy who just won't piss off, no matter how many times you tell him no. Even the guy who wrestled your backpack off your back at the airport, carried it six feet to a taxi and then demanded money :v:

To be honest I wasn't super taken with Alexandria, the traffic was awful and once you've seen the Library, Qaitbay Citadel and walked up and down the waterfront there isn't much else to do. I know there's some pyramids out of town but I was a bit fatigued on them at that stage. I did enjoy the day trip out to the war museum at El Alamein though, but that was important to me personally since my grandfather fought there.

Definitely agree on the White Desert though, it's great and very surreal.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah 16 days to decently cover Egypt, Jordan and Israel sounds a bit optimistic, even if you don't mind travelling constantly. I did two weeks in Egypt, and while you could definitely shorten that I wouldn't want to do less than a week there. A couple of days in Cairo, overnight train to Aswan for Abu Simbel and a couple of temples, then a train northwards to Luxor for the Valley of the Kings and a few more temples, then another overnight train back to Cairo will basically take you a week.

I guess then you could fly to either Amman or Jerusalem? Only leaves you six days, which, yeah, isn't a lot for two countries with a lot of history. I've also been told that the land crossing between Israel and Jordan is pretty intensive as well, so that's another thing that might slow you down.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

According to Wikipedia you can leave the airport visa-free if your transit time is between 6 and 48 hours. This applies to everyone except citizens of Iran, Afghanistan, Yemen and a few others.

Otherwise, Americans can do visa on arrival in Egypt, I don't know about Guatemalans. You'd need to check with the Egyptian consulate in Guatemala i think.

• Locked thread